Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker - Sacked by Bournemouth (Ed. Sacked by Brugge)

Comments

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Pwr 

good. Never forget, never forgive. 

Being a Charlton supporter has always been hard work, he took away our chance of minor success. He cost us a cup run and possible European qualification.

No he didn't. He didn't take it away.

If the whole club completely rely on a 22 year old performances, then we have ourselves to blame.

Scott was distracted because he knew a bid for him was placed for him. 

It then all erupted because Richard Murray didn't know the right way to handle the problem.

Scott betrayed the club but it wasn't all from his own making. The problem was inevitable. A bigger club was always going to try and snatch him from charlton at some point. It was just earlier than expected.

We didn't know how to keep him.

Were we 4th when he left?
    had he just played a massive part in us beating Chelsea, scoring 4?
    did our season take a massive nose dive after the major functioning part in the team left?

the answers to all of those are yes.

itvwas heavilybrumoured at the time that even the England manager told him to stay at Charlton until the end of the season.

look at his career stats, was going to Chelsea a mistake and was it all about the money? yes.!!! Parker cost us

parker did a Lyle Taylor, the difference is social media wasnt around then so parker got away with it.

as I said, never forget, never forgive.

Shit happens.

He was under contract. His forceful negation to leave was his refusal to play...maybe we shouldn't have let him get what he demanded. He was no longer motivated for Charlton,  but so what, that could have returned and the action to chuck him in the reserves, would have been beneficial for his professional mindset in the long run. 

I'm guessing his close ones probably told him football is a short career. Take the jump to a bigger club ASAP. What if you get a long term injury if you remain at Charlton etc.

He was 22 years old, and so more easily influenced by others. 

It was his family, agent, players, Chelsea bunch, the Russian...vs curbs and Richard Murray 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    Pwr 

Being a Charlton supporter has always been hard work, he took away our chance of minor success. He cost us a cup run and possible European qualification.

If the whole club completely rely on a 22 year old performances, then we have ourselves to blame.

It then all erupted because Richard Murray didn't know the right way to handle the problem.

Scott betrayed the club but it wasn't all from his own making. The problem was inevitable. A bigger club was always going to try and snatch him from charlton at some point. It was just earlier than expected.

did our season take a massive nose dive after the major functioning part in the team left?

itvwas heavilybrumoured at the time that even the England manager told him to stay at Charlton until the end of the season.

look at his career stats, was going to Chelsea a mistake and was it all about the money? yes.!!! Parker cost us

parker did a Lyle Taylor, the difference is social media wasnt around then so parker got away with it.

Shit happens.

He was under contract. His forceful negation to leave was his refusal to play...maybe we shouldn't have let him get what he demanded. He was no longer motivated for Charlton,  but so what, that could have returned and the action to chuck him in the reserves, would have been beneficial for his professional mindset in the long run. 

I'm guessing his close ones probably told him football is a short career. Take the jump to a bigger club ASAP. What if you get a long term injury if you remain at Charlton etc.

It was his family, agent, players, Chelsea bunch, the Russian...vs curbs and Richard Murray 
    None of the above has anything to do with my original comment that Parker cost us a potential
    cup run and European football.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    Pwr 

Shit happens.

None of the above has anything to do with my original comment that Parker cost us a potential

If it wasn't for him, then we wouldn't have been flirting with 4th-6th spot in the league in the 1st place.

You're right, he overall obviously probably didn't really give much of a shit about Charltons success on paper that season, when he should cared more. He jumped ship. 
    It was the birth of arrogant player power, but i don't think he is the only person to blame

• Options

A fool and his money…
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Spotty c***. Delighted. 
    Like any manager being given the chop from a club in the Premier League, he'll not lose any sleep.
    I daresay the meeting with his solicitor went well today.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Was I furious when he left? Yes, because he'd just signed a 5 year deal. Do I think it cost us European football and our highest ever Premier finish? Not a Scooby. He could have been taken out in the next game being our main play maker and sidelined for months. We'll never know. Did I really expect him to stay with us for five more years? No, but it gave the Club surety that it was going to cost someone dear to lure him away. That happened sooner than expected. Does it surprise me that a player puts personal ambition ahead of Club loyalty in the modern game? Not in the slightest, and he would have had the confidence to think he'd break into Chelsea's first team and stay there.

Let the past stay in the past. If I thought Scott Parker was the right man to get us us out of L1 and upwardly mobile, I'd welcome him with open arms. As it happens, I don't and I wouldn't, but that has damn all to do with the manner of his departure and more to do with the fact I like the way Garner is going about his business and he deserves to be backed as I have confidence he can restore pride in the Club.

Life's too short to bear such grudges imo. 
  • Options
    With the comments he made after the game against Liverpool he wanted out, looks like he got what he wanted.
    Wonder if the final straw was the hug from Klopp, seemed a little condescending although likely meant in the right spirit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do still hold a bitter resentment for him leaving, we would have qualified for Europe had he stayed. The best chance we ever had or ever will have (sugardaddy notwithstanding). I can't help that resentment any more than a dog can't help licking its balls. However, I am equally sensible enough to see that getting the tin-tack when you have lost to three of the richest clubs in the world, and won the "winnable" game, you don't deserve the Spanish archer.      
    Not just that. He refused to travel to the cup game at Gillingham, which we then duly lost. If we'd have won that game we wouldn't have faced another premier league team until the final. I know hindsight is 20/20, but he robbed us of the best chance we ever had of getting to a domestic cup final.
    A Charlton team riding high in the PL should be able to easily beat Gillingham, without Parker
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    Pwr 

Shit happens.

If it wasn't for him, then we wouldn't have been flirting with 4th-6th spot in the league in the 1st place.

You're right, he overall obviously probably didn't really give much of a shit about Charltons success on paper that season, when he should cared more. He jumped ship. 
    It was the birth of arrogant player power, but i don't think he is the only person to blame

Sorry, you are totally correct.

I shouldn't be so harsh on a guy for doing his job for a team that found him, developed him and gave him his chance in a profession that the majority of posters on here would sell their left ball bags to have a shot at.

parker turned out to be a good premier league player. He could have stayed with us until the summer, went to the euro's, got a big move and left Charlton with the blessing of the majority of the fans. I would say that parker never fulfilled his potential as a player, mainly due to 15 games in 18 months at Chelsea when he should have been playing and developing further.

parker chose the c**t option.

I was at an event a few years back where curbs spoke. He openly admitted that Parker's actions were the beginning of the end for him (curbs) as Charlton manger.

parker could have made a major positive contribution to the clubs forward development but instead, he was pivotal in the downward spiral that we are still in/levelling out from.

Parker is the greatest player to come through our youth set up academy. The only player that has/will get close is Gomez. He chose to sit on Chelsea's bench over progressing with us, that's why he is thought of so badly 18 years later.

Curbs of course went on to manage Parker again at West Ham

And nobody knew at the time that Parker would hardly play for Chelsea. If Ranieri had stayed as manager or if Makelele or Lampard had been injured, maybe he would have played more.
  • Options
    I do still hold a bitter resentment for him leaving, we would have qualified for Europe had he stayed. The best chance we ever had or ever will have (sugardaddy notwithstanding). I can't help that resentment any more than a dog can't help licking its balls. 
    Yup 
  • Options

A fool and his money…
    At those prices, Is his cardy now managing the team?
  • Options
    Do you think we’ll still be debating Scott Parker in another 20 years time? 

• Options
    I'm sure Perry Suckling enjoyed this one! 
  • Options
    So after Charlton get promotion to championship and find themselves around the play off places the following season ~ Garner jumps ship and takes the Leicester job.  And, as luck would have it, Scott Parker is available. Takes over with six weeks left of the season. Wins every match and gets Charlton into Premiership...
  • Options
    He ruined my dream - 

I wish nothing but bad luck and shit sex 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    Pwr 

Shit happens.

Sorry, you are totally correct.

I shouldn't be so harsh on a guy for doing his job for a team that found him, developed him and gave him his chance in a profession that the majority of posters on here would sell their left ball bags to have a shot at.

parker turned out to be a good premier league player. He could have stayed with us until the summer, went to the euro's, got a big move and left Charlton with the blessing of the majority of the fans. I would say that parker never fulfilled his potential as a player, mainly due to 15 games in 18 months at Chelsea when he should have been playing and developing further.

parker chose the c**t option.

I was at an event a few years back where curbs spoke. He openly admitted that Parker's actions were the beginning of the end for him (curbs) as Charlton manger.

parker could have made a major positive contribution to the clubs forward development but instead, he was pivotal in the downward spiral that we are still in/levelling out from.

Parker is the greatest player to come through our youth set up academy. The only player that has/will get close is Gomez. He chose to sit on Chelsea's bench over progressing with us, that's why he is thought of so badly 18 years later.

TBF is was injured have the time he was there. 

He was in the team until he got injured, the Manager got sacked and they signed Essien.

The way of and the timing of the move were awful and he didn't do himself any favours but I don't blame him for going.  I blame him, and others, for how he went.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pathetic football club, cheated their way into the premier league and they’re now going on about being self sustainable. 

All the time they’re playing in that tin pot little stadium they’ll never be self sustainable enough to be able to buy the sort of players to maintain premier league status yet many years after their first promotion and not even a slight whiff of a building a new one with bigger capacity and more hospitality. 
  • Options
    he was an absolute knobhead in the way he behaved when he left. There's enough there to wish the guy the worst, but on top of that, he's hardly been affectionate in any way towards the club he started out at and gave him a career.

In fact, he's been known to take the piss and put us down on many occasions.

Square-headed spotty twat can do one as far as I'm concerned.

On the pitch, he gave the club his 10/10 performances from his efforts. Actions usually do speak louder than words.

OK, he might be an all round arrogant midget knobhead, but he certainly cared for Charlton when he was playing for the club. 

No one puts the required effort in if they simply couldn't give a toss and their heart wasn't in it. 

I bet Danny Murphy, Darren bent and a few others, have all taken little verbal digs at Charlton after leaving us. It's just the way it is. 

Fragile egos = shoot from the hip

• Options
    Really dont get all the vitriol on here. I was gutted when he left and personally feel it was the start of our demise, but I have never seen a better or more committed player in my 50 odd years of watching Charlton. I have it on good authority that he has a lot of affection for Charlton and appreciated all the club did for him. As for his sacking very harsh but listening to him after the game there was obviously a disconnect between him and the board so best decision for both.
  • Options
    HandG said:
    he was an absolute knobhead in the way he behaved when he left. There's enough there to wish the guy the worst, but on top of that, he's hardly been affectionate in any way towards the club he started out at and gave him a career.

In fact, he's been known to take the piss and put us down on many occasions.

Square-headed spotty twat can do one as far as I'm concerned.
    Strange comment this because every interview I’ve ever read with him where Charlton are mentioned, he has said how much he loves the club and I certainly don’t recall any negativity at all from him since he left let alone “taking the piss”.

I’ve talked about this loads in the last 18 years and probably still will be until I die but I remember him as the best player I ever saw in a Charlton shirt and prefer to focus on that and the 100+ games he played for us rather than the way he left. And it’s total speculation to think we would have made Europe if he had stayed - we finished poorly in the prior seasons with him in the team so nothing to suggest it wouldn’t have happened again. 
    He's a local lad and lots of people I know have met him on several occasions. Many have said the same thing.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Really dont get all the vitriol on here. I was gutted when he left and personally feel it was the start of our demise, but I have never seen a better or more committed player in my 50 odd years of watching Charlton. I have it on good authority that he has a lot of affection for Charlton and appreciated all the club did for him. As for his sacking very harsh but listening to him after the game there was obviously a disconnect between him and the board so best decision for both.
    wasn't exactly committed though and that's the problem
    You must be thinking of someone else. I can't recall seeing him ever give less than his all in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    While writing this, I feel like Barry from Eastenders on the edge of a cliff, jannines about to push us off

If parker was on "piers Morgan life stories"...he's got a grey beard, an FA cup, few more promotions and mild European success as a manager. His success has enabled him to have a mild celebrity status.

Piers Morgan has a walking stick along with fewer teeth...the interview is halfway in. 

Piers asks him
     "Scott, in your career, did you have any major regrets?"

It will then cut to a break after a facial pause.

After it returns, Scott will then open up and inform piers that leaving Charlton was the biggest mistake of his life, showing clear emotional strain on his face and a build up of sudden guilt/inner shame. 

If he says promoting McDonald's brand doing kick ups was a regret, followed by a giggle, then he's bullshitting and still living in denial.  

He loved us really. It wasnt just about money and career progression. 

He's probably sitting at home at the moment wearing a weird jumper with a Charlton badge on the corner...dusting off curbs autobiography and starting to get emotional.

He then picks up the phone and gets in touch with Chris parkes.

"Dry your eyes mate"