Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 22/23

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:
    What's this thing Sky have that they show Allardyce every couple of minutes, not a lovely sight.
    The man who said that he was "at least as good a Manager as Guardiola, Klopp and Arteta"

“I may be 68 and look old but there’s nobody ahead of me in football terms. Not Pep, not Klopp, not Arteta. It’s all there with me, and I shared it with them.

“They do what they do. I do what I do. But in terms of knowledge, and depth of knowledge, I’m up there with them."

Hate to say it Sam but one point from three matches equates to less than 13 points over the course of a full season and Leeds had 30 before you even took over. So that makes you a worse Manager than both your predecessors this season namely Jesse Marsch and Javier Gracia. Have to admit though that none of those five named might be as good as you in finding ways of making money in your position as Manager. 
  • Options
    Got to think Leeds will need to score a minimum of 2 next week to beat Spurs, as their defence is awful and Kane is in form of his life. 

To think how bad Leicester have been since Christmas and they are still potentially 1 win from safety. Struggling to see any of them winning on final day.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    iaitch said:
    What's this thing Sky have that they show Allardyce every couple of minutes, not a lovely sight.
    The man who said that he was "at least as good a Manager as Guardiola, Klopp and Arteta"

“I may be 68 and look old but there’s nobody ahead of me in football terms. Not Pep, not Klopp, not Arteta. It’s all there with me, and I shared it with them.

“They do what they do. I do what I do. But in terms of knowledge, and depth of knowledge, I’m up there with them."

Hate to say it Sam but one point from three matches equates to less than 13 points over the course of a full season and Leeds had 30 before you even took over. So that makes you a worse Manager than both your predecessors this season namely Jesse Marsch and Javier Gracia. Have to admit though that none of those five named might be as good as you in finding ways of making money in your position as Manager. 
    Yes let's judge him on those 3 matches.

Newcastle at home, Man City and West Ham away.

They would have stayed up.if they had got him when they got Gracia.  They didn't win today because their players couldn't finish a sente.. 

Bamford scores that penalty and they take one of the half dozen good chances they missed today and he has 4 points from 3 games and they almost certainly stay up.

Managers get far too much blame and far too much credit though, squads of bad players do badly and squads of good players do well. 

• Options
    Today was a massive lost opportunity for Leeds. A tired West Ham, thinking about Europe were perfect opponents, and they blew it.
  • Options
    Alverz must be on for some sort of goals per minite/start record.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Wesley Fofana and Enzo Fernandez = £175m +. Absolutely love seeing Chelsea fail. Man City’s reserve goalkeeper is a better passer of the ball than Enzo
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    iaitch said:

They would have stayed up.if they had got him when they got Gracia.  They didn't win today because their players couldn't finish a sente.. 

Bamford scores that penalty and they take one of the half dozen good chances they missed today and he has 4 points from 3 games and they almost certainly stay up.

Managers get far too much blame and far too much credit though, squads of bad players do badly and squads of good players do well. 

It's all very well saying if they'd taken their chances then they would have stayed up. But there's been loads of occasions for those occasions when that's happened this season under the other two Managers.  

I do think, though, that you're missing the point of my post. It was the way that the dinosaur professed on getting the job that he was as good as them and therefore good enough to keep them up. You've also missed the bit that I've congratulated him on. That ability to make more money from extra curricular activities. I wasn't aware that any of those Managers I mentioned had been involved in the same way.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/28/sam-allardyce-sting-agent-mark-curtis-controversy

• Options
    Mental when Man City bring ON Haaland, De Bruyne, Stones and Rodri. Ridiculous depth 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    iaitch said:

It's all very well saying if they'd taken their chances then they would have stayed up. But there's been loads of occasions for those occasions when that's happened this season under the other two Managers.  

I do think, though, that you're missing the point of my post. It was the way that the dinosaur professed on getting the job that he was as good as them and therefore good enough to keep them up. You've also missed the bit that I've congratulated him on. That ability to make more money from extra curricular activities. I wasn't aware that any of those Managers I mentioned had been involved in the same way.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/28/sam-allardyce-sting-agent-mark-curtis-controversy

Are you saying he is a dinosaur for his ability as a football manager, which I strongly disagree with, or his alleged love of a brown envelope?

Wouldn't trust him as far as I could through him especially with my money, or wine, but to say he is out of touch or a bad football manager is disingenuous. 

Yesterday's man, gets banded about willy nilly for anyone over 50.  

Yet the football played by the living legend Pepe's architect would have been 150 last year.  

I think Sam had a point with the Allidece stuff, he should have got a really big job on the back of Bolton.  He didn't. He is overly bitter about it but he does have a point.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    iaitch said:

Are you saying he is a dinosaur for his ability as a football manager, which I strongly disagree with, or his alleged love of a brown envelope?

Wouldn't trust him as far as I could through him especially with my money, or wine, but to say he is out of touch or a bad football manager is disingenuous. 

Yesterday's man, gets banded about willy nilly for anyone over 50.  

Yet the football played by the living legend Pepe's architect would have been 150 last year.  

I think Sam had a point with the Allidece stuff, he should have got a really big job on the back of Bolton.  He didn't. He is overly bitter about it but he does have a point.

Yep - you said it yourself when Leeds went 1-0 up today albeit ironically I suspect but that comment somewhat backfired on you. Where have I ever criticised Roy Hodgson or Neil Warnock and called them a dinosaur? I haven't. And they are older than Allardyce.  He did a terrific job at Bolton but that was 16 years ago. What has he done in the last five years? Managed two clubs and has a record of winning 4 out of 29 matches. West Brom did exactly the same thing as Leeds but gave him 26 games and he managed to win 4. Yes 4 games. 

I am saying three things - that he has an inflated view of his own current ability compared to the likes of Guardiola, Klopp and Arteta, inferred that because of that he would keep Leeds up and because of all the damage he has done to the game through his dealings including when he couldn't resist entertaining the idea of making a bit more from his position when in the best job in management - the England Manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    It quite clearly hasn't back fired on me because if you watched the game you would know that Leeds lost that game despite the manager.  They could have had  Clough, Shankley and Pepe in the dugout and the the Leeds players wouldn't suddenly learn how to finish. Or defend.  They got relegated mainly because the players aren't good enough.

Its churlish to say that Allardyce is the reason they didn't win that game and are almost certainly get relegated.  

No he hasn't done anything much in the last five years but neither has anyone else with the players he managed.

He is selfish, self-serving and a bit arrogant, but he has got a point where he has never got the credit, and probably opportunity, at club level, he deserves.  Throwing away the England job is a very valid, but different point.

If Leeds had had him as manager all season they wouldn't go down.  If you ranked all the managers who have managed in the Premier league this season I would certainly put him in the top half.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It quite clearly hasn't back fired on me because if you watched the game you would know that Leeds lost that game despite the manager.  They could have had  Clough, Shankley and Pepe in the dugout and the the Leeds players wouldn't suddenly learn how to finish.

Its churlish to say that Allardyce is the reason they didn't win that game and are almost certainly get relegated.  

No he hasn't done anything much in the last five years but neither has anyone else with the players he managed.

He is selfish, self-serving and a bit arrogant, bit he has got a point where he has never got the credit, and probably opportunity, at club level, he deserves.

If Leeds had had him as manager all season they wouldn't go down.  If you ranked all the managers who have managed in the Premier league this season I would certainly put him in the top half.
    That was in response to his outlandish claims. No one can say with any certainty that had he been Manager for the season then Leeds would not have gone down anyway. Bilic was sacked the day after his side got a draw at Man City of all places. I could say that on the back of that result Bilic would have kept them up. No one knows. If Allardyce was that good a Manager why has he had no more than one opportunity in the last five years and only won 4 out of 29 games in that time? All his successes were decades ago whereas those of Guardiola, Klopp, Arteta, Hodgson and Warnock are far more recent. He was a good Manager but that does not make him a good one now and certainly not as good as he believes he is in his own arrogant head. 
  • Options
    Brownie12 said:
    Wesley Fofana and Enzo Fernandez = £175m +. Absolutely love seeing Chelsea fail. Man City’s reserve goalkeeper is a better passer of the ball than Enzo
    Chelsea do create chances they just don’t have a goalscorer. Enzo whilst massively overpriced will get better and they have Lukaku and nkuku next season. Under a decent manager that will be back challenging top 4.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It quite clearly hasn't back fired on me because if you watched the game you would know that Leeds lost that game despite the manager.  They could have had  Clough, Shankley and Pepe in the dugout and the the Leeds players wouldn't suddenly learn how to finish.

He is selfish, self-serving and a bit arrogant, bit he has got a point where he has never got the credit, and probably opportunity, at club level, he deserves.

That was in response to his outlandish claims. No one can say with any certainty that had he been Manager for the season then Leeds would not have gone down anyway. Bilic was sacked the day after his side got a draw at Man City of all places. I could say that on the back of that result Bilic would have kept them up. No one knows. If Allardyce was that good a Manager why has he had no more than one opportunity in the last five years and only won 4 out of 29 games in that time? All his successes were decades ago whereas those of Guardiola, Klopp, Arteta, Hodgson and Warnock are far more recent. He was a good Manager but that does not make him a good one now and certainly not as good as he believes he is in his own arrogant head. 
    What do you want him to say?

I am not that great and Leeds will get relegated anyway so I'll just pocket the cash without trying?

You know why he hasn't got a decent job in the last 5 years.  And yes it's his own fault.

For all your insight in to elite level sport that you bang on about "he was a good Manager but isn't now" is a bit nonsense isn't it?  Has he changed?

Allardyce is the reverse Jose.  Sam never got the situation where he could manage elite players, Jose was too successful with "poor" players that he priced himself out of working with them.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

What do you want him to say?

I am not that great and Leeds will get relegated anyway so I'll just pocket the cash without trying?

You know why he hasn't got a decent job in the last 5 years.  And yes it's his own fault.

For all your insight in to elite level sport that you bang on about "he was a good Manager but isn't now" is a bit nonsense isn't it?  Has he changed?

Allardyce is the reverse Jose.  Sam never got the situation where he could manage elite players, Jose was too successful with "poor" players that he priced himself out of working with them.

I don't "expect" him to say anything about his ability in the same way as I wouldn't expect any other Manager to do so when taking over a job. Not even any of the ones he compared himself to. And it is totally disrespectful to them to do so. Did Hodgson do that when he took over the Palace job? He just said that he had a job to do and that he thought that they had the players to stay up. They were in deep trouble with just 27 points from 28 games but under him they've taken, much to our annoyance, 17 points from just 9 matches. The best Managers don't need to convince a dressing room by talking about it. That is just one dinosaur element of Allardyce's management - the belief that players respond to a Manager bigging himself up. What they respond to is fresh ideas. Not the one they've heard told a million times before from other Managers. 

Today was the ideal game for Leeds to win against a West Ham side that had nothing to play for and with one eye on a European Final but Leeds were all over the place. When you see that Allardyce was going to earn £3m by keeping them up, it's no wonder he is spitting his chewing gum out at every little mistake! And what did he say in all of his post match interviews - that the squad isn't good enough. Well that is really going to fire them up for the final game. The squad might not be good enough but he's getting his self preservation dig in first. "I am a brilliant Manager but the squad is rubbish." The next thing he will, no doubt, say is that he's not really interested in the job next season. And then he will probably end up taking the job if it is offered to him.

The game has changed. Sport does not stand still thanks to the innovative ideas of the likes of Guardiola in football and McCullum in cricket. For that reason I do not believe, for example, that Allardyce would have been capable of doing the same job as Eddie Howe has at Newcastle with the same resources, utilisng the same style and with the same success. And I really don't think their fans would have had him back under any circumstances. Neither would the vast majority of PL clubs either. Allardyce has a certain style and a style of player to match that. I remember when Bolton came to the Valley with five at the back. They virtually never crossed the half way line for the whole game despite having the likes of Speed, Nakata, Diouf, Jay Jay Okotcha, Davies and Nolan 'til the latter scored the only goal of the game. Effective but oh so boring. Since he left Bolton he's had a 34% win record in 9 jobs and since 2015 that win rate has dropped to 29% with a points per game record of 1.13 from 110 matches. That doesn't make him a modern day good Manager. And contrary to what you say, Allardyce did get the chance to manage elite players. But those pound signs got the better of him. 

You've chosen to have a dig at me about my sporting knowledge which is, of course, your right. You also accused me of writing off all Managers over 50 but I have never done that. I would rather be shooting myself in the foot because I am over that age myself so I would, effectively, be ruling myself out of the next PL job that comes up! But we are going round in circles. So let's just accept that you think that he was a good Manager decades ago and that he still would be given the opportunity and that I believe he was a decent Manager once but has always been a greedy individual who values his own worth more than others do. So, let's shake hands on that and move on. 
  • Options
    It still baffles me how you can spend 600m and make a squad look worse.
  • Options
    So as things stand Leeds need to win at home to Spurs and Everton lose, or they need a 3 goal win and Everton to draw.

However at a packed and fired up Goodison, i really can't see Everton failing to beat a Bournemouth side who are on the beach and have lost 3 out of 3 since confirming their survival. 

Not to mention that in the form they're in, it's by no means a given that Leeds will even win. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    If Leicester by some miracle win both their last games they could stay up. or maybe just one game depending on other results.
  • Options
    At a minimum you can see Everton drawing against Bournemouth, meaning that Leeds would need a big win against Spurs to make up the -3 GD they have against Everton, and Leicester would need 4 points.

That equaliser for Everton on Saturday really made a difference
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    So as things stand Leeds need to win at home to Spurs and Everton lose, or they need a 3 goal win and Everton to draw.
    And as it stands, Spurs need to LOSE to miss out on shitty Thursday night European Conference football.
    If we win I'll be absolutely fuming.
    I can understand Thursday / Sunday football must be a drag but I reckon there’s a good few thousand West Ham fans looking forward to a few days on the piss in Prague on the back of it. 
  • Options
    SID said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    And as it stands, Spurs need to LOSE to miss out on shitty Thursday night European Conference football.
    I can understand Thursday / Sunday football must be a drag but I reckon there’s a good few thousand West Ham fans looking forward to a few days on the piss in Prague on the back of it. 
    Bit different though. West ham have had a very limited experience of European football so for them it's a new and exciting thing. Spurs have been playing the top sides and have recently been to a CL final so you can see why they wouldn't want to be playing in a third rate competition. 
  • Options
    If West Ham win, they'll have a trophy to cap this season off. It might be a lesser one, but it's still a major achievement for any club. Spurs have gone a ridiculous length of time since they won something, chasing 4th place at the expense of taking things like the Carabao Cup seriously.
  • Options
    At a minimum you can see Everton drawing against Bournemouth, meaning that Leeds would need a big win against Spurs to make up the -3 GD they have against Everton, and Leicester would need 4 points.

Surprised there is so much faith for Everton to get a positive result. I think they have won 10 games in last 50 or so. Bournemouth only lost 1-0 to Manchester United at weekend. No DCL or Patterson for them. Have zero faith that Everton are good enough to even get a point against them. If Leicester get an early goal against West Ham,I think Everton will collapse.

• Options
    If West Ham win, they'll have a trophy to cap this season off. It might be a lesser one, but it's still a major achievement for any club. Spurs have gone a ridiculous length of time since they won something, chasing 4th place at the expense of taking things like the Carabao Cup seriously.
    I think they automatically qualify for Europe next as well if they win it. 
  • Options
    SID said:
    I think they automatically qualify for Europe next as well if they win it. 
    Yes, they get into the Europa League
  • Options
    I must admit I will derive immense pleasure if Leeds are relegated……a hang over from the playoff game at St Andrews when we turned them over 2-1…..29th May 1987.
    Any Addick who was there will know exactly what I mean.👍
  • Options

Surprised there is so much faith for Everton to get a positive result. I think they have won 10 games in last 50 or so. Bournemouth only lost 1-0 to Manchester United at weekend. No DCL or Patterson for them. Have zero faith that Everton are good enough to even get a point against them. If Leicester get an early goal against West Ham,I think Everton will collapse.

Leicester have got 6 points since mid-February. If you don't have any faith in Everton to get a point, i've no idea why you'd think Leicester will get a win.
  • Options
    SID said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Bit different though. West ham have had a very limited experience of European football so for them it's a new and exciting thing. Spurs have been playing the top sides and have recently been to a CL final so you can see why they wouldn't want to be playing in a third rate competition. 
    I get your point.  Its a fair one.  But after 13 years of having Thurs/Sun night football interspersed with CL football, I'd rather be totally out of it and put all our efforts into putting out a half-decently drilled team for PL games on Saturdays and going all out to win one of the domestic cups.

With Thurs night football, you literally play Thursday night, sleep/recover Friday (pending where you've had to travel to) then it'll be a light training session Saturday with possible travelling involved before the game on Sunday.  Its takes it toll and it can ruin your PL season.  Just look at West Ham this season.  Playing most of their games on Sunday's have reflected in a poor domestic season.  You can never prepare properly for that Sunday game, especially if its an away game after playing away Thursday night.  Granted they've done well to make the final but there's a significant step down in quality and they've been able to cope by playing a weakened side at times.  Having said that, they managed great last year but it was all fresh and new to them then.