Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NFT sponsorship

Comments

• Options
    So no one is yet being asked or forced to buy anything are they?

if at some point a Charlton related linage can be bought then it’s up to the individual if they buy it. I see little difference to buying overpriced football stickers for example. 

If the club add in some sort of associated hospitality or a Q/and A session it’s little different to a membership package. 

I’m struggling to understand the outrage for now. 

Happy for people to buy overpriced beer and food and indeed match tickets but for some reason this is a step too far?

• Options
    So a non fungicide token is something that only exists on the internet.
    And people ‘buy’ them as an ‘investment’.
    What happens if you want to buy a fungus token with cash money?
    What if you are prepared to buy a token with a cheque?
    What if you’re prepared to buy a picture of those trainers with a bank transfer?
    As for defining the ‘literal’ meaning of the word whale. If whale means both the largest mammal and also somebody in this weird world, how can the ‘literal’ definition be fixed?
    Such thought processes and claim of command of those terms, indicates to me the doublethink some people apply to themselves in this field and then wish to impose on others.
    To me the literal meaning of cryptocurrency and Non Functional Tokens is the word ‘bollocks’.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I'm not at all interested in crypto or NFTs, but I am interested in understanding, so... here is my best stab at NFTs (but I am no expert by any means):
    - I take a .jpeg photo of some trainers
    - I create a NFT from the .jpeg
    - Someone else makes a copy of the.jpeg and introduces a tiny/minimal change, so that the file's digital signature is different from mine, but to the human eye the two images are identical.
    - She/he now also creates a NFT with their altered version of the image on a different NFT platform.
    - How do I now prove that I am the true owner of the trainer's photo?
    I guess this is all down to the reputability of the platform that created/holds the NFT. If anyone is going to pay £2m for my NFT, they will buy it from me (via my NFT platform) because I used the most reputable available. A bit like buying that Van Gogh from the National Gallery rather than from (with all due respect) Aladdin's Cave in Lewisham Way.
    Hope that makes sense to somebody, and more than happy to be corrected.
    The blockchain proves legitimacy. 

If I buy a physical banksy for 100k, it comes with a COA. If I pay £100 off of ebay for a reproduction, it doesn't. 

The blockchain is a digital form of authenticity 
    Sure, but as @Addickhead86 also noticed, if the .jpeg is modified (e.g. converted to a .gif for example) and an NFT created from that, you mean to say that all the NFT proves is ownership of the unmodified .jpeg, and not the visual aspect of the photo? So in a film with 24 frames per second, can you create an NFT for every frame and then one for the whole .MP4 for the video itself. Weird example I know, but that's the way I try to understand things 😊
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    You can answer all your questions if you Google, instead of being a smart arse about it on a football forum.. thats directed at most of the posters on the thread and nobody specific.

• Options
    It is legitimate to write about this stuff on our football forum, because this malarkey is contaminating our football club.
    ’Contaminating’? You may ask, well has anybody looked at the blimmin logo on our shorts.
    An abomination.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    You can answer all your questions if you Google, instead of being a smart arse about it on a football forum.. thats directed at most of the posters on the thread and nobody specific.

Martin Calladine (in the tweet above) did exactly that. And he (unlike most of us who are sceptical) understands the environment. Have you read his thread? Does it not worry you? 

• Options
    seth plum said:
    It is legitimate to write about this stuff on our football forum, because this malarkey is contaminating our football club.
    ’Contaminating’? You may ask, well has anybody looked at the blimmin logo on our shorts.
    An abomination.
    Of course it's legitimate, but half the posters don't want to be informed, just another thing to maon about with not much knowledge.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

This Banksy print will cost you 100k in a gallery, photocopy it and try sell that for 100k. Let me know how you get on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WTF IS “ Sea lioning”? 

Is it similar to Flange Quibbling?
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    An abomination.
    Of course it's legitimate, but half the posters don't want to be informed, just another thing to maon about with not much knowledge.
    I have asked a lot of questions on this thread in order to be informed.
    google is not the only resource, indeed it is not the resource to use when engaging with others positing a specific point of view.
    Asking legitimate questions is often met with ‘do your own research’ or the rather pathetically amusing ‘you’re Sea Lioning’ (whatever that’s supposed to mean) from inarticulate people who have no answers.
  • Options
    What is ‘flange quibbling’, having an argument with a wheel attachment?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    An abomination.
    google is not the only resource, indeed it is not the resource to use when engaging with others positing a specific point of view.
    Asking legitimate questions is often met with ‘do your own research’ or the rather pathetically amusing ‘you’re Sea Lioning’ (whatever that’s supposed to mean) from inarticulate people who have no answers.
    8 pages in, all the questions have been answered and we are at the stage of criticising peoples use of words like you don't know what they mean.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    An abomination.
    8 pages in, all the questions have been answered and we are at the stage of criticising peoples use of words like you don't know what they mean.
    I’m still none the wiser and have read the lot
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    An abomination.
    Had to look it up myself:
    And now comes “sealioning,” a noun on Merriam-Webster’s “Words We’re Watching” list and defined as “a harassment tactic by which a participant in a debate or online discussion pesters the other participant with disingenuous questions under the guise of sincerity, hoping to erode the patience or goodwill of the target to the point where they appear unreasonable.”

Used to be called the Socratic method pre-Twitter 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    An abomination.
    I think it is you yourself above that criticised the use of the word ‘whale’.
    All the questions have not been answered.
    Like can I buy one of these nine fungal tickets with a cheque?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    An abomination.
    I think it is you yourself above that criticised the use of the word ‘whale’.
    All the questions have not been answered.
    Like can I buy one of these nine fungal tickets with a cheque?
    No, no you can't. Consider yourself informed.
  • Options
    So.....if I understand correctly......

NFT is just a way of legitimising (via block-chain) a person's ownership of 'something'.

It is being used predominantly today for legitimising ownership of some digital artwork but expectation is that NFT will be used for a wider range of services in the future.

We should not confuse the NFT with any perceived value or investment potential of the 'something' (digital art) that it is mainly supporting today.

Is this correct?

• Options
    edited July 2022

NFT is just a way of legitimising (via block-chain) a person's ownership of 'something'.

It is being used predominantly today for legitimising ownership of some digital artwork but expectation is that NFT will be used for a wider range of services in the future.

We should not confuse the NFT with any perceived value or investment potential of the 'something' (digital art) that it is mainly supporting today.

Is this correct?

Bang on. Worth adding that some people do see digital art as having value and potential for profit though. There are some forms that are more legitimate than others.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcpolo said:

Is this correct?

Bang on. Worth adding that some people do see digital art as having value and potential for profit though.
    Indeed - But we should not conflate the value of digital art with the value of NFT which, to me appears to be in the value of the NFT technology itself at this point.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    cafcpolo said:

Is this correct?

Bang on. Worth adding that some people do see digital art as having value and potential for profit though.
    Indeed - But we should not conflate the value of digital art with the value of NFT which, to me appears to be in the value of the NFT technology itself at this point.
    Correct. The value is all in the artwork. The NFT is basically a reference to that artwork on the blockchain which holds the ownership, etc.

In the future, for things like say gig tickets, the NFT will be able to dictate how much it can be sold for or how many times it can be sold on, does the original owner make x% of profit each time its sold on.

Things like this if bands choose to can eliminate scalping. Ticket sold, NFT dictates if it can be sold on for more than the original price. If not, scalpers can't buy four tickets for £60 each and flog them for £120.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I dont pretend to know much about this sort of thing but I watched the video and it sounded like a pyramid scheme to me.

I then read those tweets from the journalist where he tried to get to the bottom of who owned this mob and didnt get anywhere. Sounds a bit fishy.

I'm not saying this is all a con, but I do know that one of the tricks of the con man is to use smoke and mirrors to make you feel stupid if you dont initially understand something.

So for those reasons, I'm out!
    Not all Pyramid schemes are illegal tho are they. There’s be no story for the journo if it wasn’t opaque! What we getting for this, £10k - £20k for a logo on the shorts that’s unreadable. Doubt it’ll last more than a year anyway. AFKA has suggested that we aren’t getting paid or haven’t been paid. That’s the only thing I’m concerned about. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I dont pretend to know much about this sort of thing but I watched the video and it sounded like a pyramid scheme to me.

I then read those tweets from the journalist where he tried to get to the bottom of who owned this mob and didnt get anywhere. Sounds a bit fishy.

I'm not saying this is all a con, but I do know that one of the tricks of the con man is to use smoke and mirrors to make you feel stupid if you dont initially understand something.

So for those reasons, I'm out!
    Not all Pyramid schemes are illegal tho are they. There’s be no story for the journo if it wasn’t opaque! What we getting for this, £10k - £20k for a logo on the shorts that’s unreadable. Doubt it’ll last more than a year anyway. AFKA has suggested that we aren’t getting paid or haven’t been paid. That’s the only thing I’m concerned about. 
    I think we got paid in Soleros
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    cafcpolo said:

Is this correct?

Correct. The value is all in the artwork. The NFT is basically a reference to that artwork on the blockchain which holds the ownership, etc.

In the future, for things like say gig tickets, the NFT will be able to dictate how much it can be sold for or how many times it can be sold on, does the original owner make x% of profit each time its sold on.

Things like this if bands choose to can eliminate scalping. Ticket sold, NFT dictates if it can be sold on for more than the original price. If not, scalpers can't buy four tickets for £60 each and flog them for £120.
    Now that is an interesting real world application if it comes to fruition. 

As others have said for now this whole space ie crypto / blockchain / NFT feels like a solution looking for a problem. 

Maybe when it gets it’s killer app then it will become something tangible. 
  • Options
    Exactly!