Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor McGrandles signs a three year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022
    @DamoNorthStand @supaclive

As vocal critics of the previous three signings, would be interested to hear your thoughts on this bloke. More in line with expectations or not yet?
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Major said:
    Solid signing.
    McGrandles? Good luck with the song....
    Oh that's a teaser. I'm thinking the opening  verse for Bony M's 'Rasputin'.

🎵
    You can keep your pie & mash,
    Your jellied eels & sandals,
    You can stick them where the sun don't shine,
    We've got Conor McGrandles
    🎵

It does work, but only if the last two lines are sung at a faster tempo. Could do with a food stuff to replace sandals too 🤔
    I think sandals Is good, a bit of humour  :D
  • Options
    From the club video he sounds as though he expects to play further forward than Dobson but good to know he can cover back there too. Over a season there are bound to be circumstances where we need him to different jobs. Guess that probably cools the interest in Reed for now.

Always encouraged by signing leaders from our opponents. Good luck Conor.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    My only slight concern is the guy in the article saying he's not technically gifted. Can that be true? You would think in a possession system we'd only be bringing in technical players. 
  • Options
    I would have thought if this signing frees anyone up to leave, it’ll be Gilbey. I’m pretty sure Morgan will be here for another season at least and he might even flourish a bit if we play the everyone is saying we are going to. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    He's here to compete with JFC IMO, while still being able to cover for Dobson where needed.

Dobson / Clare (? he can fill in here but would expect McGrandles to get the nod first should anything happen to Dobson)
    JFC / McGrandles
    Fraser / Morgan / Gilbey

Can't forget Henry coming through either.

There's an odd man out and definitely space for an outgoing...
  • Options

As vocal critics of the previous three signings, would be interested to hear your thoughts on this bloke. More in line with expectations or not yet?
    I wasn't a vocal critic - I said I dont know anything about them and doubt anyone else does. And whilst I wished them well - I didnt know if league 2 players would do it or not.

I also dont know much about this guy. On paper he could be ok - truth is I haven't a clue.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    My only slight concern is the guy in the article saying he's not technically gifted. Can that be true? You would think in a possession system we'd only be bringing in technical players. 
    The stats would appear to heavily disagree with that one bloke 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022

I wasn't a vocal critic - I said I dont know anything about them and doubt anyone else does. And whilst I wished them well - I didnt know if league 2 players would do it or not.

I also dont know much about this guy. On paper he could be ok - truth is I haven't a clue.
    Ok maybe I overstated it a bit but did you at least get a bollock tingle this time? Or are we still at the Ann Widdicombe stage?

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4700574/#Comment_4700574
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Depends what is meant by "technically gifted" really. If we're expecting Tony Watt style trickery or raking crossfield passes from deep then he's probably not. But if we mean he can carry a ball past a challenge and pick out a decent pass through then he seems to pass muster.
  • Options
    CafcFan39 said:
    Sounds like we’ve got our act together. That’ll upset a few people I’m sure.
    Suppose much of that will be the Gallen effect.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Account since 2009 so if it's a wind up, it's a good one.

edit:
    Something does smell fishy though. Detective Callum on the case...

Only 279 public tweets, the oldest of which was posted on 16th June so the account history has been wiped.

Plenty of "fan" responses to journalists and influencers, also responses to Lincoln player signings saying "Welcome to the Imps".

Someone in Lincolnshire has deleted their twitter history and decided to play fake journalist for the summer.
  • Options
    He looks like a wet sponge but loves a bit of agro. Reminds me of this bloke! 
  • Options
    Account since 2009 so if it's a wind up, it's a good one.

edit:
    Something does smell fishy though. Detective Callum on the case...

Only 279 public tweets, the oldest of which was posted on 16th June so the account history has been wiped.

Plenty of "fan" responses to journalists and influencers, also responses to Lincoln player signings saying "Welcome to the Imps".

Someone in Lincolnshire has deleted their twitter history and decided to play fake journalist for the summer.
    Or someone has got a job as a journalist (or decided simply decided to use their account for more serious stuff) and concluded that their history of sharing risque jokes wasn't the image they wished to portray
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Possibly. Although I would’ve thought you set your personal account as private and set up a separate ‘business’ account if that was the case.

He hasn’t deleted his likes history though which gives away more info. Twitter handle was previously @ryanwhelan1993 so he’s at least using the same name which adds a bit of credibility to that theory…

Yes I did go too deep on this.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Don’t know a lot about the lad. Decent pedigree at league 1.

6 midfielders now; JFC, Fraser, Dobson, Morgan, Gilbey & Mcgrandles. Could be 7 with Henry on the scene. Imagine one will definitely leave before start of the season. Strong options there if Fraser & JFC can chip in with goals.
    Options yes but I'm not sure how they fit together. neither JFC or Fraser are 10's both liking to try and control the game from deeper. Gilbey isn't a proper box to box and I still don't really know Morgan's best role despite him having a lot of attributes. None of them bar Dobbo really have any physicality and think we will end up looking pretty lightweight in midfield again.

Depends on the system we want to play but we need a box to box midfielder for sure, someone like a League 1 version of Gallagher or Aribo (though they were much more than box to box) and a number 10 if we want to play with one.
    Hasn’t McGrandles come in as a box to box midfielder?
    Doesnt look to have the physicality to do that role IMO. Hope to be proven wrong but worried we are gonna have a lightweight midfield of players that like to sit deep and control the game but will have no runners in front of them. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Guessed that when he tried to give Lee Johnson a slap haha!
    Guessed that when I heard he was Scottish
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Don’t know a lot about the lad. Decent pedigree at league 1.

6 midfielders now; JFC, Fraser, Dobson, Morgan, Gilbey & Mcgrandles. Could be 7 with Henry on the scene. Imagine one will definitely leave before start of the season. Strong options there if Fraser & JFC can chip in with goals.
    Options yes but I'm not sure how they fit together. neither JFC or Fraser are 10's both liking to try and control the game from deeper. Gilbey isn't a proper box to box and I still don't really know Morgan's best role despite him having a lot of attributes. None of them bar Dobbo really have any physicality and think we will end up looking pretty lightweight in midfield again.

Depends on the system we want to play but we need a box to box midfielder for sure, someone like a League 1 version of Gallagher or Aribo (though they were much more than box to box) and a number 10 if we want to play with one.
    Hasn’t McGrandles come in as a box to box midfielder?
    Doesnt look to have the physicality to do that role IMO. Hope to be proven wrong but worried we are gonna have a lightweight midfield of players that like to sit deep and control the game but will have no runners in front of them. 
    He said himself in the interview that he can play box to box or sit deep. Said he has good energy levels (needed for box to box) and likes to make a nuiscence of himself breaking up play.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Would love to get some clips of the defensive side of his game but unfortunately these videos are only 2 mins per match so it's all goalmouth action...
  • Options
     Asked a mate who is a Lincoln fan his opinion of Conor McG:

“He was very good season before last, drives forward tidies up. Not so good as a defensive midfielder and extraordinarily scrawny looking”

• Options
    From the highlights ...

Looks a bit like Dobson, but with more of a goal threat. Make of that what you will.

Not quick.  And there's a hint of 'running through treacle' on occasions.  Also, seems to get caught in possession and/or arrives a bit late on the scene.

Positives ... some decent passes, gets thoroughly pissed off when his team concedes and he has an amusing 'goggles' goal celebration.
  • Options
    Possibly. Although I would’ve thought you set your personal account as private and set up a separate ‘business’ account if that was the case.

He hasn’t deleted his likes history though which gives away more info. Twitter handle was previously @ryanwhelan1993 so he’s at least using the same name which adds a bit of credibility to that theory…

Nothing wrong with going in a bit deep mate 
  • Options

Nothing wrong with going in a bit deep mate 

Sorry..had to be done...😎
    Quite right can't let an opportunity go to waste  :D