Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor McGrandles (2024 edit - Rejoins Lincoln page 23)+++

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    George Dobson and Conor McGrandles in 2022 if they started in a double pivot together: 

You're saying that if the oppo show a little bit of tit they'll be waved through but otherwise made to wait for an hour in the cold.
  • Options
    George Dobson and Conor McGrandles in 2022 if they started in a double pivot together: 

The pound shop  Jason Mamoa on the left.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    fenaddick said:
    Performances against Cray Valley Paper Mills and a relegation League2 candidate in Sutton, who were largely playing a reserve team. I think only 3 out of that XI are regular starters for Sutton, although I may be wrong. 

I would like to see him perform against a side like Carlisle away from home, then we will see what he's about, not against what he's been tasked against so far..
    He was pretty good at Pompey too to be fair 
    He came on as an 83rd minute substitution. Of course he scored a vital goal but can hardly take much from that kind of run out. 

I'm just saying, let's not get ahead of ourselves as he's quite easy tasks so far, I look forward to seeing how he performs in the future league games 
    To be fair this is probably the only really fair way to judge him currently. He's done as good a job as could be expected in the specific circumstances he could do that job in. He's looked tidy and scored a couple but against lower league opposition or off the bench. 

Which is absolutely fine IF he's going to be used mostly in that kind of squad player, fill-in role. But if he's going to establish himself as an actual first choice player then he's got to replicate the performances against some higher quality first.

I think he can. Appleton's comments suggest he thinks so too. But he's been given a chance and he really needs to take it.
    Yeah I see your point, as you say though to make his way in, he will have to show more against tougher opposition.

I think away from home, him and Dobbo in midfield together with either Fraser or Watson ahead of them could work quite nicely. I'm quite a fan of a double pivot with two midfielders who can get about a bit. 
  • Options
    Some good points made on here. Conor McGrandles value to Charlton can only be assessed once he's had a run of games, at the moment nobody really knows if he is the missing link in the midfield, nobody apart from Appleton. I expect him to start tomorrow, alongside Dobson, with either Fraser or Watson as the attacking midfielder in that shape, fingers crossed that it all comes together and gives a lot of posters a problem, a successful McGrandles and no Kirk, who will they pick on after that ? 
  • Options
    He does seem to be playing with confidence and I have seen the game from him I was expecting to see when he signed. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    just not good enough
    For what? It’s likely he’ll be 4th choice CM at most. He’s proven in L1, not everyone in the squad needs to be a top end L1 player for us to do well.

proven ? .. where? .. fair few games at MKD and Lincoln as well as Falkirk .. none of these clubs have exactly set the world on fire during his presence .. I repeat, for US, he is NOT good enough, if he were he would be a regular starter .. a '4th choice central midfielder' (your definition) should be a youngster on the way up, not a late twenty year old who's in decline
    Lincoln made the play offs when he was captain off the team! 

Which is better then we’ve managed to do the past couple of seasons.
    and Appleton was the Lincoln manager .. he doesn't seem to be too keen on him as Charlton manager, fourth choice at very best 

Still think he’s not keen on him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Scoham said:
    just not good enough
    For what? It’s likely he’ll be 4th choice CM at most. He’s proven in L1, not everyone in the squad needs to be a top end L1 player for us to do well.

proven ? .. where? .. fair few games at MKD and Lincoln as well as Falkirk .. none of these clubs have exactly set the world on fire during his presence .. I repeat, for US, he is NOT good enough, if he were he would be a regular starter .. a '4th choice central midfielder' (your definition) should be a youngster on the way up, not a late twenty year old who's in decline
    Lincoln made the play offs when he was captain off the team! 

Which is better then we’ve managed to do the past couple of seasons.
    and Appleton was the Lincoln manager .. he doesn't seem to be too keen on him as Charlton manager, fourth choice at very best 

Still think he’s not keen on him?
     Not keen but starting him :-)
  • Options
    Real progress for him. I doubt many people expected he'd be starting a league game ahead of other available midfielders rather than just being thrown in as the result of an injury crisis. Hope he continues to perform.
  • Options
    wish him all the best as ever, BUT so far nothing he's done has convinced me that he is good enough for us .. Today ? .. Watson should be starting in his place
  • Options
    Although I'm not 100% convinced with him he's obviously earned some stripes with the gaffer with his recent performances so long may that continue.
    Can only be a good thing for the squad to see that if you knuckle down,you'll get your chances
  • Options
    Real progress for him. I doubt many people expected he'd be starting a league game ahead of other available midfielders rather than just being thrown in as the result of an injury crisis. Hope he continues to perform.
    He needs to make a claim for a space. Either to try and force himself into the reckoning as a proper first choice midfielder OR if people are going start planing for January it puts him in the shop window.

Not that I want him sold at all but can't see him being happy as a squad player.
  • Options
    wish him all the best as ever, BUT so far nothing he's done has convinced me that he is good enough for us .. Today ? .. Watson should be starting in his place
    We shall see Lincs. 
  • Options
    Although I'm not 100% convinced with him he's obviously earned some stripes with the gaffer with his recent performances so long may that continue.
    Can only be a good thing for the squad to see that if you knuckle down,you'll get your chances
    Agree.

As I said before I was very critical of him but being fit and playing under a manager who likes him, you could almost say who is keen, might mean we'll see the player that was influential at Lincoln and Cambridge.

Still needs to show his value over a longer period and against tougher opposition, IMHO.

Hopefully, that starts today.

Super, SuperMac
    Super, SuperMac
    Super, SuperMac 
    Super Con McGrandles 
  • Options
    He’s also never had a decent run of games for us, so any judgements on him are based on odd games here and there. Not every good player for us started well.
  • Options
    Thought he played really well today, but he really should have tracked the overlapping player for their goal 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with Naby, he had his best game for us yet but the cross for their goal doesn’t happen if he tracks the overlap. I’m not ready to watch the highlights yet but at the time it looked like he started tracking and then stopped.
    As good as he mostly was, I’d pick Watson over him by a distance, probably with May as no 10.
  • Options
    Watson brings more to the midfield for me and against a lower team we should have gone for him,too much chopping and changing from Appleton after we win games.
  • Options

The Head Coach provided an update on Conor McGrandles, who missed Saturday's trip to Gillingham with calf injury.

“It’s not great news - it keeps following us a little bit at the minute, doesn’t it? He pulled out of training on Friday, like I mentioned, and unfortunately the scan has revealed that he’s got a [grade] two b I believe, so we’re talking around four to six weeks. 

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/appleton-looks-ahead-reading-knockout-tie

• Options
    edited December 2023
    It's never going to work out for him here is it. Just as soon as he starts to get going, another injury. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Deary me, cursed club
  • Options
    You can guarantee that at his next club he'll be injury free...
  • Options
    clive said:

The Head Coach provided an update on Conor McGrandles, who missed Saturday's trip to Gillingham with calf injury.

“It’s not great news - it keeps following us a little bit at the minute, doesn’t it? He pulled out of training on Friday, like I mentioned, and unfortunately the scan has revealed that he’s got a [grade] two b I believe, so we’re talking around four to six weeks. 

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/appleton-looks-ahead-reading-knockout-tie

Four weeks is reasonable to be back training if not less. Then up to six weeks to get back to full fitness. 
  • Options
    We singed him carrying a significant injury IIRC. What were they thinking? Passed his medical did he? I'm praying that the lesson has been learned ahead of January. We have bad enough luck with injuries as it is without inviting more on ourselves.

Good luck to him and I wish him a speedy recovery.