Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Staff at Charlton being relieved of their duties

Comments

• Yann897 said:
    It’s a clusterfuck and has been so since the Danish egomaniac walked through the door.

As soon as he got that fucking guitar out I knew we were in trouble.

I am losing interest by the minute in the club, it just doesn’t feel like it belongs to us any longer with all this madness behind the scenes.

Anyone who can’t see what’s going on right now at the club is simply in denial.

Why can’t we just have a normal fucking owner?
    Just for a bit of balance here, I perfectly understand peoples concerns about the off the pitch situation.

However for me personally, with the appointment of Garner, this is probably the most excited I’ve been going into a new season at this juncture in a while. This could of course all go in the gutter if we don’t continue to get some decent bodies through the door - but it does at the moment feel like recruitment mistakes of the past have been rectified and we have a clear plan that we are working towards.

The possibility of seeing a dynamic, forward thinking, attacking Charlton far outweighs some shoddy shenanigans going on with the commercial behind the scenes side of the club (stuff which as an average fan I feel wouldn’t even be recognisable to me on the most part if I didn’t go on social media).
    Providing it’s not a mirage.
    Buying good players is a mirage ?
    Buying?
  • cafcfan said:
    swordfish said:
    I think before jumping to conclusions as to whether UK employment law is being properly applied, it's worth mentioning that our Non-Exective Director, Leo Rifkind, works for Freshfield's, who specialize in many areas of international law.

I'm not saying he's involved in the day to day running of the Club and is necessarily an expert in this field himself, but he'll probably know where to direct TS should the Sandgaard's seek his advice. I doubt they'd be 'winging it' as it were. 
    He doesn't anymore. Left 9 months ago. He's now an investment manager at Atai Life Sciences, whoever they are.

Hmmm.

Wonder why he's still listed as being in post on the OS....

More less than positive information not for sharing with the fans ? 
    Because he still is in that post. I know you clearly aren't a fan of TS and probably haven't got over Jackson's sacking yet but you're wrong here.

"Leo joined atai in 2021 and is part of the investment team in London where he works on sourcing and due diligence of investment opportunities and venture portfolio management. Leo has a particular interest in enabling technologies for the treatment of mental health disorders.

Prior to joining atai, Leo practiced as an M&A lawyer for seven years, including at Freshfields, Simpson Thacher, and Skadden Arps, where he worked on large-cap transactions in technology, healthcare, and sport, notably advising on Blackstone’s acquisition of a majority stake in MagicLab, Apax Funds’ acquisition of Baltic Classifieds Group and Sandgaard Capital’s investment into Charlton Athletic, where he sits on the board."

• edited June 2022
    Nepotism is never a good thing.

That's what I emailed the Queen about Prince Andrew !

Interesting reading this morning and Henry is officially a clever clogs.

• Those transfers are coming. You’re mad if you think that’s all we’re bringing in. Those are just the ones we’ve able get done early and having three new faces has us ahead of most of the competition at this stage.

Anyway, this isn’t the transfers thread but somehow it’s become the place for anyone who fancies a moan about anything to congregate for the day. We’ll see if that’s still the case tomorrow.
    I think the point is that no one can be sure we are building a successful side, so to assert that what is happening at The Valley is likely to be outweighed by football developments is at best premature.

Objectively, we’ve signed three out of contract League Two players; allowed one of our best players to leave by not offering him a contract; dismissed an unproven manager with deep connections to the club and appointed another with similarly limited experience who most fans had never heard of; and we have one fewer first-team coaches than last year, leaving aside Jason Euell’s ability and history.

Meanwhile, the club’s long serving and trusted first-team analyst has been let go and replaced by someone who was an intern in L2 last season and the long serving and respected club  secretary has been nudged aside to be replaced by someone from quite junior non-league.

I have no idea of the actual merits of those coming in or who else might be recruited, but overall it seems fair to assume that cost cutting is a factor in the above, as it will be in the abrupt sacking of the supporter liaison officer.

The football changes may turn out well. I hope so. But any assumption that they will is currently just wishful thinking.
    100% agree with all of this.. I can't see how he can again say we will have a top 6 budget this year, at the moment we have made so many cut backs.. 

Replacements that have come in so far, are certainly on a fraction of those that have left.. Time will tell if they are up to same standard.
  • edited June 2022
    On the football side, a lot is going to depend on Ben Garner. As Airman says, we don't know that much about him but if he has that fire in his belly and ability to do well we will do ok. Of course, in the pond we fish in there are no certainties. Adkins looked a decent bet, JJ wasn't given a chance and Euell even less so. Ben Garner has a chance and I wish him well for one. I don't understand the thought process behind it but even Duchatelet who wasn't bothered found a decent manager, then did his best to destroy him but it can happen.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Crusty54 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    7 new sales staff plus the COO plus Dan 

That might be it or could be more, I don't know.
    So sales staff as opposed to the original post stating ticket office people. 
    What do you think the sales staff sell at a football club? Footballs?
    Hospitality (posh tickets), advertising and sponsorship (which both include tickets).

• On the football side, a lot is going to depend on Ben Garner. As Airman says, we don't know that much about him but if he has that fire in his belly and ability to do well we will do ok. Of course, in the pond we fish in there are no certainties. Adkins looked a decent bet, JJ wasn't given a chance and Euell even less so. Ben Garner has a chance and I wish him well for one. I don't understand the thought process behind it but even Duchatelet who wasn't bothered found a decent manager, then did his best to destroy him but it can happen.
    But will Garner get the time?
    Quite a few of us are frustrated with the way things have gone the last few years.
    We need a brilliant start to the season, if not I can see after 10 games a section of fans on Garner and Thomas's back.
  • Those transfers are coming. You’re mad if you think that’s all we’re bringing in. Those are just the ones we’ve able get done early and having three new faces has us ahead of most of the competition at this stage.

Anyway, this isn’t the transfers thread but somehow it’s become the place for anyone who fancies a moan about anything to congregate for the day. We’ll see if that’s still the case tomorrow.
    I think the point is that no one can be sure we are building a successful side, so to assert that what is happening at The Valley is likely to be outweighed by football developments is at best premature.

Objectively, we’ve signed three out of contract League Two players; allowed one of our best players to leave by not offering him a contract; dismissed an unproven manager with deep connections to the club and appointed another with similarly limited experience who most fans had never heard of; and we have one fewer first-team coaches than last year, leaving aside Jason Euell’s ability and history.

Meanwhile, the club’s long serving and trusted first-team analyst has been let go and replaced by someone who was an intern in L2 last season and the long serving and respected club  secretary has been nudged aside to be replaced by someone from quite junior non-league.

I have no idea of the actual merits of those coming in or who else might be recruited, but overall it seems fair to assume that cost cutting is a factor in the above, as it will be in the abrupt sacking of the supporter liaison officer.

The football changes may turn out well. I hope so. But any assumption that they will is currently just wishful thinking.
    Of course it’s wishful thinking the same as every season and every team but fans wanted change and a clear out and that’s what we’ve got/getting I’m personally excited for the season and where we’ll be at the end of the transfer window it’s a shame others aren’t and people can’t just get behind the club for once.
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    On the football side, a lot is going to depend on Ben Garner. As Airman says, we don't know that much about him but if he has that fire in his belly and ability to do well we will do ok. Of course, in the pond we fish in there are no certainties. Adkins looked a decent bet, JJ wasn't given a chance and Euell even less so. Ben Garner has a chance and I wish him well for one. I don't understand the thought process behind it but even Duchatelet who wasn't bothered found a decent manager, then did his best to destroy him but it can happen.
    Quite a few of us are frustrated with the way things have gone the last few years.
    We need a brilliant start to the season, if not I can see after 10 games a section of fans on Garner and Thomas's back.
    I wouldn't even give it 10 games. Anyone who was at MK Dons 3 games in last season knew then the season would be a write off.
  • clb74 said:
    I wouldn't even give it 10 games. Anyone who was at MK Dons 3 games in last season knew then the season would be a write off.
    Shocking performance that night after an equally shocking performance away to Oxford, a bore draw against Wednesday and a limp exit from the League Cup. The writing on the wall for the season was plain to see
  • Scoham said:
    Let’s just go back to the Matt southall and co days shall we? 

No let's not.  Why does it have to be so binary.  

I've given two examples of normal chairmen who run their clubs sensibly and successfully above in Berylson and Parish.

It doesn't have to be a choice between scum like ESI and the other circuses that have got their hands on our club over the past decade and what would pass as normal owners.
    Agree it doesn’t have to be so binary, but it’s also not a choice. If TS sells we have no control
    over who replaces him as owner. Without being about to sell the stadium and training ground we’re not going to be as attractive as we could have been under RD (and he’s not going to sell them while they’re valued at £50m+).

It feels like we’re getting closer to the point where as a fan base we want to roll the dice again in the hope that we get the right owner. A bad start to the season could push many somewhere in the middle closer to supporting that.

What we as a fan base seem to be after is a wealthy ambitious owner who cares about success on the pitch, identifies and appoints the right football people and doesn’t get too involved, they can then sit back and watch the wins roll in. I struggle to see that happening, with the losses clubs make you need someone willing to risk millions, and with that wealth they’ll likely have an equally big ego. You have to don’t you to think you can make a profit in football? It’s no surprise when new owners come in trying to do things differently rather than throw huge amounts of money at it or let others run the club for them.

Wigan appear to have got lucky but who knows how long that’ll last. Other big clubs at this level have had takeovers, spent more and are still in L1. Will we eventually get that right owner ourselves? The last decade or so doesn’t suggest we will.
    If you mean protests I really can't see that happening for a number of reasons. I think what will happen is the longer we remain in the division and uncompetitive then a lot of supporters will drift away from going to games, maybe its already started with the decrease in season ticket numbers
  • Yann897 said:
    Those transfers are coming. You’re mad if you think that’s all we’re bringing in. Those are just the ones we’ve able get done early and having three new faces has us ahead of most of the competition at this stage.

Of course it’s wishful thinking the same as every season and every team but fans wanted change and a clear out and that’s what we’ve got/getting I’m personally excited for the season and where we’ll be at the end of the transfer window it’s a shame others aren’t and people can’t just get behind the club for once.
    A clear-out is only as good as what replaces it, presumably. I wonder what evidence you have that people didn’t get behind the club last season (buying about 10,000 season tickets for instance)?
    I’d say it’s more so this season but then that comes down to whether people think it’s good to get rid of Jackson and Washington for example. 

I do you don’t, I think some Charlton fans have just got ridiculous opinions on what they want from a Charlton owner I remember when Roland was here and fans just wanted an owner who cared and come to games and invested a bit of money and that’s what Sandgaard is doing.   
  • Sponsored links:

• The early appointments of Roddy and especially Mumford suggests Sandgaard got the scale of this venture completely wrong.
    Whether he was given bad advice or was seeing something that really wasn't there we'll never know.
     The worry for me from what I've read or heard is his continued stubbornness.
    Will his ego allow him to realign his expectations,scale down and make a success of things or will he bumble along for a continued period and in the coming months chuck it in leaving us in a worse state than when he first turned up?
  • Scoham said:
    Let’s just go back to the Matt southall and co days shall we? 

No let's not.  Why does it have to be so binary.  

I've given two examples of normal chairmen who run their clubs sensibly and successfully above in Berylson and Parish.

It doesn't have to be a choice between scum like ESI and the other circuses that have got their hands on our club over the past decade and what would pass as normal owners.
    Agree it doesn’t have to be so binary, but it’s also not a choice. If TS sells we have no control
    over who replaces him as owner. Without being about to sell the stadium and training ground we’re not going to be as attractive as we could have been under RD (and he’s not going to sell them while they’re valued at £50m+).

It feels like we’re getting closer to the point where as a fan base we want to roll the dice again in the hope that we get the right owner. A bad start to the season could push many somewhere in the middle closer to supporting that.

What we as a fan base seem to be after is a wealthy ambitious owner who cares about success on the pitch, identifies and appoints the right football people and doesn’t get too involved, they can then sit back and watch the wins roll in. I struggle to see that happening, with the losses clubs make you need someone willing to risk millions, and with that wealth they’ll likely have an equally big ego. You have to don’t you to think you can make a profit in football? It’s no surprise when new owners come in trying to do things differently rather than throw huge amounts of money at it or let others run the club for them.

Wigan appear to have got lucky but who knows how long that’ll last. Other big clubs at this level have had takeovers, spent more and are still in L1. Will we eventually get that right owner ourselves? The last decade or so doesn’t suggest we will.

The sad reality seems to be there are likely more ESI's or utter clown's out there nowdays than Berylson's or Parish's. They do exist of  course but we never seem to attract straight forward ones and seem to be in a perma circus of off the field shennanigans and distractions or on the field mediocrity at a level that many other clubs don't seem to endure with as much regulatory i.e. Millwall / Palace from our immediate local.   

Although without doing an audit of the 92 it may be just that we know (or seem to want to know) every in and out of Charlton and therefore see all warts n'all that fans of other clubs will not be aware of and the same sort of malarky could be going on at the majority of other clubs but we're oblivious to it as we have no interest.

Just want us to get a competitive side to compete for promotion and the off the field stuff soap operas not to be an issue for one season.  Surely that's not too much to hope for even in today's football circus.
  • edited June 2022
    The early appointments of Roddy and especially Mumford suggests Sandgaard got the scale of this venture completely wrong.
    Whether he was given bad advice or was seeing something that really wasn't there we'll never know.
     The worry for me from what I've read or heard is his continued stubbornness.
    Will his ego allow him to realign his expectations,scale down and make a success of things or will he bumble along for a continued period and in the coming months chuck it in leaving us in a worse state than when he first turned up?
    He has dialed down the rhetoric of late, which I take as a sign that he has a better appreciation of the challenge he's taken on and has realigned his expectations to a degree.

I don't dismiss the prospect of him chucking it in, because a number of factors might make him think again, funding, future prospects and potentially fan disquiet if things don't improve, but his renowned ego might make him even more determined to transform our fortunes for the better, so I think it unlikely he will anytime soon. 

It's anyone's guess how this season is going to pan out as we' seem to have entered another pocket of turbulent air. All we can do is strap on our seat belts and get set for another bumpy ride, but it might be a fun one and I do hope it is for all our sakes.
  • edited June 2022
    Yann897 said:
    Those transfers are coming. You’re mad if you think that’s all we’re bringing in. Those are just the ones we’ve able get done early and having three new faces has us ahead of most of the competition at this stage.

A clear-out is only as good as what replaces it, presumably.
    Hard to be worse than what they're replacing.
  • supaclive said:
    We've been told enough times of "inside" rumours of unrest and strange goings on at the club
    Many senior management have been hired and fired (or walked out) 
    We've let 14 players leave by hook or by crook
    We've signed 3 freebies
    We're on to manager number 4
    Staff have been let go in what appears cost cutting measures

@Airman Brown spelt out actually all what has been going on

Can we still turn it all around?  Yes.

Will the Owner, who has admitted he is a stubborn man, bite the bullet and hire a proper footballing CEO.

I doubt it.

I was slightly more positive with the signings last week but I'm still in the needing to be convinced phase of my Charlton supporting life. 

Spoke to an ex player other day who said the manager is good but we should be worried about the man upstairs who he likened to David Brent 
    Wouldn't have expected the ex player to have an overlap with the new Manager?