Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Staff at Charlton being relieved of their duties

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    There has been a lot of criticism of the Club over the season. 
    Late information going out and the arrangements for getting fans back to the Valley stick out in my mind. It didn’t bother me, but much was made of it even on this site.

It may not be that surprising that the owners then do something about things? They have shown that they are aware of what is said on this site and also get the feedback at the fans forums.

Just a thought.
    If you’re suggesting that was the background to Dan Burke’s departure I think that’s completely off-beam. I do think there’s a lack of understanding between tickets and comms (about how fans need and use details) which means that information isn’t always presented in a timely or optimum way, but that is a matter for the relevant management. My take on his role is that it was to deal with individual fans.

I don’t know Dan, but I know people who do and it appears that his removal was handled abysmally and with no justification provided, at least at the time. It’s great news he’s got another job but if there’s any explanation beyond cost cutting it’s not been shared, so let’s not make stuff up.
    I am not suggesting anything other than some fans have not been happy with the way some things have been running. How you have linked my general comments to Dan Burke I find mystifying.
    What am I making up or are you just being rude?
    Maybe you should refresh your memory as to what fans were saying about the free tickets and the issues that arose from it - like even getting into the stands before kick off etc. I think we all applauded the aims, but it was quite shambolic. 
    All I have said is that given the above a review was highly likely.
  • So today I learned that we have an official cleaning partner. 

• paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Redrobo said:
    Late information going out and the arrangements for getting fans back to the Valley stick out in my mind. It didn’t bother me, but much was made of it even on this site.

It may not be that surprising that the owners then do something about things? They have shown that they are aware of what is said on this site and also get the feedback at the fans forums.

Just a thought.
    If you’re suggesting that was the background to Dan Burke’s departure I think that’s completely off-beam. I do think there’s a lack of understanding between tickets and comms (about how fans need and use details) which means that information isn’t always presented in a timely or optimum way, but that is a matter for the relevant management. My take on his role is that it was to deal with individual fans.

I don’t know Dan, but I know people who do and it appears that his removal was handled abysmally and with no justification provided, at least at the time. It’s great news he’s got another job but if there’s any explanation beyond cost cutting it’s not been shared, so let’s not make stuff up.
    So basically, you haven’t spoken 1st hand, got a one sided story, and put to everyone something abysmal may have happened, people read this and because of you’re reputation take it as fact, maybe the other side of the story needs to heard before adding fuel to the fire?.  The fella got sacked, he got a new job,, move on. , just playing devils advocate here, and get a few lols cheaply added, for daring to question you.👍
    If you're given Dan's email address, perhaps you 'd happily contact him for his side of the story ? 
    Fanny it’s nothing to do with me, like it’s nothing to do with you, but putting the boot into someone at every opportunity to suit a narrative is unfair , especially as facts are not there for all to see. I’m sure you wouldn’t appreciate me for example reporting things about you and then not giving you the chance to defend/ explain yourself. You’re tune has changed regarding TS from last  year and are keen to let everybody know. 

Just to add, if it was something I was to pursue, which it isn’t, I’d be emailing Dan and the club for both sides and if Dan had been treated abysmally as put out there, I’d fully sympathise and rightfully agree with any stick thrown towards the club. But at least my judgement would be made from facts and not 2nd hand one sided info.
    Surely it's only fact , if both sides are telling you the truth?

So Dan Burke has gone from filling the seats to cleaning the seats  ;)

Just a joke.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Redrobo said:

Just a thought.

So basically, you haven’t spoken 1st hand, got a one sided story, and put to everyone something abysmal may have happened, people read this and because of you’re reputation take it as fact, maybe the other side of the story needs to heard before adding fuel to the fire?.  The fella got sacked, he got a new job,, move on. , just playing devils advocate here, and get a few lols cheaply added, for daring to question you.👍
    If you're given Dan's email address, perhaps you 'd happily contact him for his side of the story ? 
    Fanny it’s nothing to do with me, like it’s nothing to do with you, but putting the boot into someone at every opportunity to suit a narrative is unfair , especially as facts are not there for all to see. I’m sure you wouldn’t appreciate me for example reporting things about you and then not giving you the chance to defend/ explain yourself. You’re tune has changed regarding TS from last  year and are keen to let everybody know. 

Just to add, if it was something I was to pursue, which it isn’t, I’d be emailing Dan and the club for both sides and if Dan had been treated abysmally as put out there, I’d fully sympathise and rightfully agree with any stick thrown towards the club. But at least my judgement would be made from facts and not 2nd hand one sided info.
    It’s not second hand info because I’ve seen Dan’s version of events directly from him. I said I don’t know him, which I don’t. But I have seen what he has said about it.

He wasn’t told by the decision makers (who were in the building) or his line manager but by the HR person, who it’s been reported has herself resigned. He wasn’t given an explanation. That’s his first-hand account.

it would be wholly inappropriate for the club respond to a third party on it, as it would for any professional organisation, which is why they wouldn’t be asked.
    Who was his line manager?
  • edited June 2022
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:

Just a thought.

I am not suggesting anything other than some fans have not been happy with the way some things have been running. How you have linked my general comments to Dan Burke I find mystifying.
    What am I making up or are you just being rude?
    Maybe you should refresh your memory as to what fans were saying about the free tickets and the issues that arose from it - like even getting into the stands before kick off etc. I think we all applauded the aims, but it was quite shambolic. 
    All I have said is that given the above a review was highly likely.
    As far as I’m aware, the people who have gone are new sales staff and the fan liaison officer, so I’m not sure how you are connecting a review as you describe with the thread unless you are saying that the action arises from it. If you were, it is a complete misunderstanding of the latter role. If you aren’t I’m not sure what you think the relevance is?
  • Sponsored links:

I am interested to know what level of deep clean Pacific Support offer. If I have a gold coin can I arrange a dinner reservation? 

I can think of at least one that I’d like to invite to dinner and potentially some more. 
  • Dan Burke. In just a few days he's gone from the man noone knew to the poster boy of the TS haters.
    Bit unfair to say no one knew him.

Plenty of people had dealings with him and said so on here and on twitter. That's  partly because it was his role and partly because he went out of his way to help fans.

The wider point is he wasn't the only one who went.

The other six or seven staff, including the most senior member of non-football staff, all started in the last 2 months so after the Fill the Valley mess up (after a very good start) so it's wrong to think that was the reason they were sacked.

And as Airman says and I can confirm Dan wasn't given any reason for his being let go.
    No I think my point still stands. He was unknown by the people who are citing him now.

It's not great that these people have been sacked at all, and it sounds that it could have been done in a better way. In fact, as with other cases such as Purrington, Washington and Jacko, there appears to be a ruthlessness above compassion in people exiting the club. It's not nice.

As for the reason, it's cost cutting, everyone should be able to see that.

TS is trying to turnaround a failing business right now. I don't think it helps that every detail is under so much scrutiny and criticism, because it's clear tough decisions are necessarily being made.

But "abysmal"? Over the top. Sounds like people want TS himself to be sacking every junior member of staff and telling them we need to save money. That's unrealistic also. HR + Line manager would normally be in charge of this in a large company.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Redrobo said:

Just a thought.

It’s not second hand info because I’ve seen Dan’s version of events directly from him. I said I don’t know him, which I don’t. But I have seen what he has said about it.

He wasn’t told by the decision makers (who were in the building) or his line manager but by the HR person, who it’s been reported has herself resigned. He wasn’t given an explanation. That’s his first-hand account.

it would be wholly inappropriate for the club to respond to a third party enquiry on it, as it would be for any professional organisation, which is why they wouldn’t be asked.
    Ok thanks , a little more clarity.👍
  • Dan Burke. In just a few days he's gone from the man noone knew to the poster boy of the TS haters.

Plenty of people had dealings with him and said so on here and on twitter. That's  partly because it was his role and partly because he went out of his way to help fans.

The other six or seven staff, including the most senior member of non-football staff, all started in the last 2 months so after the Fill the Valley mess up (after a very good start) so it's wrong to think that was the reason they were sacked.

And as Airman says and I can confirm Dan wasn't given any reason for his being let go.
    No I think my point still stands. He was unknown by the people who are citing him now.

It's not great that these people have been sacked at all, and it sounds that it could have been done in a better way. In fact, as with other cases such as Purrington, Washington and Jacko, there appears to be a ruthlessness above compassion in people exiting the club. It's not nice.

TS is trying to turnaround a failing business right now. I don't think it helps that every detail is under so much scrutiny and criticism, because it's clear tough decisions are necessarily being made.

But "abysmal"? Over the top. Sounds like people want TS himself to be sacking every junior member of staff and telling them we need to save money. That's unrealistic also. HR + Line manager would normally be in charge of this in a large company.
    When the club made significant redundancies in 2010 after failing to win promotion from L1, Martin Simons personally met everyone to apologise even though they all knew the context.

Charlton is not a large company. In this case it appears to have taken on a group of people and sacked them in short order, so there wouldn’t be much depth to the relationship either way. I’d like to think Dan Burke deserved a bit better than that, but in any event it would hardly have been much of an imposition in the circumstances.

I would also think anyone deserved some explanation, just as a basic courtesy.
    Good on Martin Simon's. Charlton is a large company. Would have been nice if TS had done it himself, he didn't.
  • This does seem to have been handled in a very bad way but from what I can gather from reports on here is with the exception of Dan the other folk were recent additions of basically sales staff who's task was to sell corporate packages. I imagine the sales results were nowhere near forecasts and the club cut its loses. Dan's case sits outside that it seems so no idea the thinking behind it. In any event an employer should deal with these things in an appropriate manner and it seems that this was not the case so it isnt a good outcome from whatever angle you look at it
  • I've been pondering how easy it would be to attract a suitably qualified CEO to run things. I don't suppose they grow on trees and I assume we might have to poach one from another Club by offering an attractive renumeration package. You'd imagine it would pay dividends in the long run though.

Perhaps Thomas should approach Steve Parish again to ask his advice, assuming that he's better connected in wider football circles at present.

But what you said was "no one knew".  That wasn't the case.

Which is what some people were say was wrong.  There are good and bad ways to sack people.

Is it?  It is quite possible that it is cost cutting but you don't know that.

Yes, tough decisions have to be made but people will decide to scrutinise, criticise and even praise if they choose too.  I think TS has got a lot right but not everything.  It's frustrating IMHO when people only see the good or only see the bad.

And the question that is being asked, by me if no one else, is how hiring and firing 7 people, including the most senior non-footballing person, within two months contributing positively to turning around a failing business. It maybe correcting a previous mistake but the mistake occurred on TS's watch. 

Charlton is an SME, it's not a large company.  If you just count that staff at the Valley it is a few dozen people and Dan reported on many issues direct to RM.

I've had to sack people, it's not easy and it's not nice but it's part of the reason you get the job title, the money and other perks. So I tried to do it in the best way possible.

• Sponsored links:

Pity they cannot deep clean some of the SMT out 
  • Clarky said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    paulfox said:
    Redrobo said:

Just a thought.

Dan spoke with me briefly and advised that there were no ill feelings to TS or anyone at the club. Doesn't exactly sound like any malice was involved.
    Good to hear. From what I have read from him he has handled the situation with integrity, he has moved on and good luck to him.

Exactly that.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    paulfox said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    cabbles said:
    Thing I don’t understand is, if he’s skint, wants to sell, massaging his ego etc etc etc

Why is he bothering attending all the CACT stuff? And actually looking like he’s enjoying it?
    What benefit does he get from that? 

I keep going from thinking there’s clearly something amiss here to I’m sick of being completely paranoid about my club so let him get on with it 😩

FFS!
    I think he does want to make it work and not massaging his ego, but he’s badly miscalculated what needs to be done to deliver.  To be fair, he inherited a mess, but 2 years on, if not a mess, it still seems a little chaotic.  There have been good moves, but there have been questionable moves.  I hope he/we get it right this season, but I remain unconvinced.  I’ve changed my opinion to that regard.  At the start of last season I recall a thread and I posted something along the lines of ‘I wish people would stop looking for/questioning his approach re: things like the non footballing side.’

I can’t quite remember exactly, but seem to remember a response to my post from @airmanbrown where he highlighted his stance was that there were actions taken by TS that should be questioned/criticized and I was a bit like, ‘can’t we get off his back’ - I’m now more in airman’s way of thinking along with Fanny’s/Rob7Lee’s as to the viability and sustainability and long term success of it under the current approach.

Something just seems a bit off re: decision making.

I do think getting rid of Jackson was the correct decision, and I know that might not be shared by others, and I think there’s probably some truth in the rumor TS never wanted him in the first place, but I am not sure about this style of play or what TS’ aspirations are for the type of football he wants and overall commercial vision 

I didn't feel Jackson under TS was going to be a success. Not that he won't go on to be a decent manager, but it just wouldn't work under TS. My concern is, next to no one will, much like RD when he was interfering. I didn't agree with how it was done, but that's football I guess, JJ can certainly walk away with his head held very high and he'll always get an amazing reception if he ever returns in the away dugout.

I hope I'm wrong and that our new manager manages to hit the ground running, but you just feel history repeating itself, mid to low end table by October/November and he gets sacked and off we go again. We're a month away from the start of the season and the squad feels no stronger/better than last year. Time for that to change, but will it........ you look at the squad page and it looks very light in a number of positions.

The latest removal of staff is TS down to a T, I've seen people like him before, and worked for them, he knows best, but when he gets it wrong (which he will more than he gets it right) others are the fall guys.

He might get it right at some point, but I've seen no sign of a sea change that makes that look likely. 
    Not edging you’re bets there at all!!🤔
    Lol,

My overiding point is for me TS is blindly doing a lot of things which are invariably turning out to be wrong. It may turn out that one of his blind alleys turns out to be right, but that'll be more by luck than judgement IMHO. I don't dislike the guy and he's certainly stumping up the cash, but lets not forget we had another owner who stumped up a lot of money, not wisely, went through 'staff' like there was no tomorrow and also thought he knew better than seasoned pro's who frankly had forgotten more than he knew.......  and look where that got us..........

On recruitment (player or otherwise) which exactly has he got right so far? Mumford? Jokat? Jackson? Adkins? Roddy? The new staff he's just dismissed? Which players have turned out to be a roaring success?

Again in my experience, first hand, when the owner of a company allows family to take key positions (whether that's wife, son etc......) it invariably doesn't work. At a previous company the owner employed his son, I and others spent a lot of time covering and sorting out the mess he invariably caused, but of course, he was never going to be let go. Same with his daughter in law (nearly 12k or congestion charging fines, not least the mess she made in her main role, between them they probably cost the company half a million in mistakes).

On the redundancies and the posts about how it was done. I've unfortunately had to make redundancies in the past, it's never pleasant and I was always conscious it's peoples livelihoods and often weren't necessarily in a position financially to go 'oh well, I'll take a 6 months break', but the least you can do, is do it personally (as the line manager, or sometimes I was the managers manager) - I always took HR along with me, and would if the staff member wished I'd then leave the room allowing them to speak with HR alone. I've also often fought to get people decent packages and have always managed to do so, even if the person had under 2 years service much to my detriment I generally ignored that and at least paid them the minimum as if they had been there 2 years. Generally in the scheme of things it's not major money to the company.

As an employer It never hurts to go that extra mile, doesn't have to be financial, but do it personally and do it properly and where possible give assistance to them in finding something else, there's plenty of companies out there you can employ for not much cash to help those staff with CV's, applying for roles, interview training etc.

If all you ever do is piss off staff, then guess what, word gets around and you won't be employing top percentile people in the future as your reputation will be shot.
    Can’t argue with any of that mate, hopefully he is in the process of learning and making things good all round. Truth is for me I want to see success on the pitch. So we can all argue about who was MOTM, not the politics of the club.
  • edited June 2022
    I think Sandgaard is making a lot of mistakes and the question is whether he is the type to learn from them or not. If not, it comes down to how lucky he is.
  • Just to add my twopenn’orth to the Dan Burke element of this discussion…
    Back in August, I sent an email asking for clarification on the clubs position re: the “Early bird benefits” (Remember that? Some were quite up in arms about the whole thing!)
    Anyway, three days passed with no response, so I followed up. Then I left it for a month and followed up again. Dan Burke responded and asked me to send the question again as he “couldn’t find it in the email trail”. I thanked him for responding and re-sent the original email.
    Unfortunately, I got no response again.
    I gave up at that point. I don’t know if there’s an issue with emails or if the club just couldn’t be arsed to respond to an email asking for clarification on what seemed like a bit of a balls up.
    Anyway, the point is, Dan was polite enough in his first response, but it took three goes to get it and then he didn’t get back to me. Make of that what you will.

• edited June 2022
    T_C_E said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Redrobo said:

Just a thought.

I have to be careful what I say here or alarm bells will going off in SE9 again.

I sat in front of the owners in a Mayfair hotel and they are all very nice people and wish them every success with Charlton.

This is my experience over the past 12/15 months, as a volunteer and I hope a friend to some fans and staff alike.

As we shared a coffee in the poshest hotel I’ve ever sat in and felt  I was already out of my depth,

As I told them my part in the meeting was as a volunteer to the Valley when I overheard several phone calls to a member of their staff now sitting with us, resulting in him getting upset. 

On speaking to him he broke down and told me what was being said, I asked him to report this issue, sadly due to fear of repercussions he was afraid to.

We spoke several times that day and as members of this forum will vouch I was concerned for his mental state, now I could have said it was none of my business but I spent many an hour on the phone to him or emails were exchanged over the following days and weeks and I convinced him to allow me to contact the club but not to name him to which I did, I emailed RM. 

I heard nothing for approximately a month, during which time my support was there night and day I also shared some of the load with forum members purely because my own mental state was fragile to say the least and somethings were way out of my expertise.
    Finally a response asking to meet me, reporting back the staff member he’d had a change of heart and agreed to join the meeting along with his wife and on the understanding it was away from The Valley. 

During this time a second member of staff agreed to attend the meeting with other examples of what had been happening involving the same person.
    Again the contents of the meeting will remain private, but cards were laid on the table and tears were shed, I had shared the load of the staff member over the months as he explained that he couldn’t deal with much more and I took over where I could when emotions got the better of him. 

We left the meeting feeling reassured, in fact we had a couple of beers in London.
    Sadly things didn’t change and after I shared my concerns with a forum member a strongly worded email was fired off to a former member of the SMT to speak to my now  friend which was done. 

He called in HR who agreed to the request he should go home on extended leave.
    After extended leave and medical help including visiting us at home he returned to work at SL which had been agreed at the meeting and he would be gently reintroduced back to The Valley when he was ready.

Sadly he felt that he was pushed out to SL to keep him out off the way and although he was back at the Valley once a week assurance’s that were given he would return full time never happened.

He left his employment something TS was happy to mention on an open forum Zoom meeting, yet he failed to mention the cause of his lapse in health.

On the evening he quit, I immediately terminated my volunteer work at the club via email and told them I wouldn’t attend as a volunteer or a supporter all the while 🍔 👦 works at the club. 

A question to@paulfox , you say it’s not your business but had you had seen a photo of the Valley’s headgroundsman sitting my lounge the day before the first home game of the season would you not be wondering what was going on?

That’s a bit of an unfair question really, absolutely if I was in that same scenario, I would have tried to help, I’m not an arsehole who doesn’t care. The DAN situation for all we know is a completely different scenario as far as the majority of us know, so sometimes it’s not for outsiders to get involved. If you want me to feel bad for saying it’s not anything to do with me, I don’t , as it isn’t. That’s not to say I don’t feel for the fella if he has been wronged, which by the sounds of it were amicable.( unless people want to skirt over that bit to suit). TS hasn’t done anything bad to me, so is it fair for me to dirty his name because, Fanny or, Airman or yourself have a gripe. I judge people based on my own views and not what other people suggest I should think.

just to add, I’m not making light of the info you have divulged and respect the help you gave and I’m sure it was greatly appreciated.👍