Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carabao Cup Draw 22/23 - QF Draw: Man Utd v CAFC (p48) - confirmed 10th Jan

Comments

• Scoham said:
    This is our year.

This is what all the pain has been leading up to.

We’ll win the Carabao Cup and we’ll be playing European football next season.

We’ll still be in League 1 and Sandgaard will be enjoying our European adventure under his ownership (first of many?).
    Winning the Carabao Cup gets you.......

A play off spot in the Europa League. Not even in a competition proper. Would probably lose to Dundee Utd or Shamrock Rovers. 
  • Scoham said:
    This is our year.

We’ll still be in League 1 and Sandgaard will be enjoying our European adventure under his ownership (first of many?).

A play off spot in the Europa League. Not even in a competition proper. Would probably lose to Dundee Utd or Shamrock Rovers. 
    Still better than nothing. Hopefully we do better than losing to some Hungarian nothing side 4-2
  • sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    This is our year.

Still better than nothing. Hopefully we do better than losing to some Hungarian nothing side 4-2
    That's exactly the sort of derogatory thing that the England players were saying about Puskas ("look at that little fat chap") and his side prior to Hungary's 6-3 win at Wembley in 1953. And that was followed up by a 7-1 thrashing of England some 18 months later. No doubt the England players thought much the same this year when they lost twice to Hungary including a somewhat humiliating 4-0 mauling at home. 

It's all relative of course but I doubt that a "Hungarian nothing side" would have too much to fear from a team in the third tier of English football. 
  • Scoham said:
    This is our year.

nah i hear they ain't got much up front 
  • Scoham said:
    This is our year.

Christ alive, smile Eeyore…
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    This is our year.

If there was such a team, Bummer United would welcome your 'Support'.
  • Not sure it is about winning the cup. It is about building momentum. Winning in these games feeds into the league, and I think Garner is hoping that keeping the team near the top 6 will help our shite owner spend a few quid in Jan.
  • edited November 2022
    I don’t think it’s been sung for many a moon, by Charlton fans (if ever) and I don’t want to tempt fate, but… is it too early to crack open, ‘we’re all going on a European tour, a  European tour, a European tour.
  • Gillingham at home please. 

Then the winner of Lincoln/MK Dons at home in the quarters.

Then we're into the semi's with City, Liverpool and Newcastle. 

Unfortunately City beat us 12-0 on aggregate but we had a good run and Thomas makes 2m from 2 live semi final sky games and a rare Valley sell out.
  • Liverpool at the valley. It’s going to happen. 
  • Going to be Burnley away 
  • Will be Southampton away...
  • Liverpool at Anfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• We beat them and Klopp is shown the door.
  • Mk Dons away 
  • looking at who's left in it, I now fancy a home game (in the week run up to xmas)
  • looking at who's left in it, I now fancy a home game (in the week run up to xmas)
    For me a decent club at home, large bumper crowd or a smaller club giving me a new ground to visit. 
  • Lincoln away .. nailed on as long we don’t have the same ref 
  • Scoham said:
    This is our year.

It wouldn’t be charltonlife if Golfie wasn’t putting a negative spin on something positive that hasn’t even happened yet.

🙄

• Pin the tail on the donkey anyone Leicester or Forest are still available  and no quips about our Captain please 😉
  • I'd personally love charlton to draw Manchester City at home.

Want to see a full valley and for it to give the players an enjoyable exhausting mind stimulating challenge...which may be useful to carry towards the rest of the season.

Even if I could, I personally wouldn't attend a draw like Man City at home.
    After my years away I feel like I need to "do my time" and attend at least 10-15 Peterborough,  Mkdons,  Shrewsbury league one beautiful football matches, before diving right in to a special day

• sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    This is our year.

That's exactly the sort of derogatory thing that the England players were saying about Puskas ("look at that little fat chap") and his side prior to Hungary's 6-3 win at Wembley in 1953. And that was followed up by a 7-1 thrashing of England some 18 months later. No doubt the England players thought much the same this year when they lost twice to Hungary including a somewhat humiliating 4-0 mauling at home. 

It's all relative of course but I doubt that a "Hungarian nothing side" would have too much to fear from a team in the third tier of English football. 
    Fucking yawn mate this is a dig at Millwall not Hungary, do yourself a favour and try not to read to much into anything 

sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    This is our year.

Fucking yawn mate this is a dig at Millwall not Hungary, do yourself a favour and try not to read to much into anything 
    Aplogies but I missed the Millwall reference so I didn't actually read enough into your comment! Their run in Europe passed me by. From the perspective of clarity, both my parents fled from Hungary in 1956 and I grew up with more than the odd question about my heritage. Ironically, my cousin played for Ferencvaros, the club that beat Millwall, albeit not in that era. 

But before anyone gets the idea that I'm not patriotic, I have never supported England in a game against Hungary but, equally, would not pretend that they aren't my second side. I also have two sons who are currently sitting in the Adelaide Oval on the other side of the world - and they aren't cheering on Hungary. Or India for that matter!!! One is playing cricket in Adelaide and the other has been following England round with the Barmy Army. Next stop is Qatar for him as he follows the England football team too, home and away.