Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mandela Egbo - gone to Colchester (p17)

Comments

• Options
    So he used to be shite but now he’s alright ?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I will have to redraw my fucking diagram at this rate.  More please!!!

I would say we are at the bollock tingle stage.
    Two league two players giving you the bollock tingle is the equivalent of premature ejaculation with Ann Widdicombe bouncing on your balls.
    Do you believe good players are only playing for good clubs? 
    It could be said you are playing in division four because you are at that level.
    But that's not how football works. 
    You don't see many players in the bottom two divisions ending up in the Premier League.
  • Options
    Garner obviously rates the guy.  Having worked with him at palice then bringing him to Swindon.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Speaking to someone that has been aware of him for at least a decade.

Massive potential, talent alone he would be playing in the Premier League.  Probably can cruise top half league 1/bottom half championship.

Sounds to me a bit like old Yassin, also sounds to me Garner is the man that can squeeze it, or at least enough of it, out of him.
    I have to admit I would have preferred the other Swindon right-back from last season who went onto MK. Egbo hasn't progressed as expected and although he ended the season well, a dozen or so games isn't much to go on. 

Of course I'm not writing him off and Garner clearly rates him so that's good enough for me. 
    He only joined Swindon in March. Played nine games, six of which were the final six games of the season, five of which they won. He got three assists in those three games.  I think the other three matches were the playoffs? Or did they include the playoffs?
    ‘Hasn’t progressed as expected’ I guess refers to the fact that he started at Palace but had to step down to Swindon via Germany and the MLS? Not sure that’s reputation ruining, but shows Swindon had decent scouts maybe?
    My money’s on him turning out to be better than the one who went to MK. or perhaps they’re both verby good. Can happen. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    RedRobin said:
    Top banter 
    Love the way he references Covered End. Obviously done some research. 
    Or he was sat in it, looking straight at the sign, when he got the text 🤣
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Two league two players giving you the bollock tingle is the equivalent of premature ejaculation with Ann Widdicombe bouncing on your balls.
    It could be said you are playing in division four because you are at that level.
    You don't see many players in the bottom two divisions ending up in the Premier League.
    Nobody mention Jamie Vardy ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    As I said, pretty instantly likeable, but he will occupy the Adam Matthews, Sean Clare, Asimwe kind of position and needs to justify being picked ahead of them (well not Adam 😐).
    The justification is wins if he plays.
    Wins points, wins points recurring.
  • Options
    I believe Swindon fans sung;

“He’s a star man, running down the right
    his name is Manny Egbo and he’s fucking dynamite”

least we won’t have to get creative with a song 
    Had the whole Dog & Bell in Deptford singing this for Sterling in the euro final. Very catchy tbf
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Massive potential, talent alone he would be playing in the Premier League.  Probably can cruise top half league 1/bottom half championship.

Sounds to me a bit like old Yassin, also sounds to me Garner is the man that can squeeze it, or at least enough of it, out of him.
    Potentially some similarities with Djed Spence. Never really managed to make the grade at the youth levels with Fulham despite being highly rated. He pitched up at Middlesbrough and it was a lot of the same story. In and out of the team based on his application and some off-field shenanians, Warnock said he could be Premier League or non-league and it was his choice. That didn't work for Spence and he was loaned out where Cooper knew how to get the best out of him. Obviously Spence is younger and hasn't had quite the level of meandering that Egbo has - and there's no indication that Egbo is anywhere near as annoying off-field - but it's a similar idea of a player who just needs a coach who knows how to get the best out of the individual. The talent is definitely there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

No but I disagree with the idea that if you're playing in a particular league, it means it's your level. We know that's not true because we've signed CBT (Tranmere reject, look back at that thread now!) and we've signed Gunter (proven Championship player and Welsh wizard) and one looks like a star and the other was trash. If that's proven anything, it's that where the player comes from doesn't have much to do with anything. Might as well just watch them play first. 

ed - does happen btw https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12099052/premier-league-stars-born-in-the-efl-gareth-bale-dele-alli-harry-maguire-and-the-data-behind-this-vital-relationship
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We've signed a player who's actually got a sense of humour? What is this, we're Charlton

Him and Gilbs will have some top Twitter bants for sure.
  • Options
    Major said:
    If that is what he thinks he can do one. I thought we wanted players who wanted to be here...not ones that run us down. 
    What was all that tosh he spouted about a big club on the day he signed us ?
    Forgive and forget eh! Eight years ago when he was a teenager at Palace 🤣 You ever said anything silly that might come back to haunt you one day?
  • Options
    The sad thing was at the time he was at Crystal Palace he didn’t realise they were a plastic club, where the idea of something special for all associated with them would be a MacDonalds burger and a glass of UHT milk.

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

No but I disagree with the idea that if you're playing in a particular league, it means it's your level. We know that's not true because we've signed CBT (Tranmere reject, look back at that thread now!) and we've signed Gunter (proven Championship player and Welsh wizard) and one looks like a star and the other was trash. If that's proven anything, it's that where the player comes from doesn't have much to do with anything. Might as well just watch them play first. 

ed - does happen btw https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12099052/premier-league-stars-born-in-the-efl-gareth-bale-dele-alli-harry-maguire-and-the-data-behind-this-vital-relationship
    It's fair to call O'Connell a L1/L2 player as that's where he's played for the last 5 season (2 in L2, 3 in L1).  He might be better than that, but at the moment it's unproven.

Egbo is a bit different, as his Swindon spell was just a brief one after he came back from playing in Germany and the US. If Garner had been managing at Cheltenham at the time, maybe he would have been given a trial there and have on his CV "L1 player"
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Major said:
    If that is what he thinks he can do one. I thought we wanted players who wanted to be here...not ones that run us down. 
    Forgive and forget eh! Eight years ago when he was a teenager at Palace 🤣 You ever said anything silly that might come back to haunt you one day?
    I never say things I don’t mean and I never bother with Facebook or Twitter.  Don't  post what isn't a true belief. 
    Neither do I, but that's a generation thing as social media wasn't about when I was in my teens. However, I would have said and done things then that I later regretted when I matured, but luckily for me, they weren't plastered all over SM. 

I can't pretend to understand the thinking of the youth of today as I'm nearly an old age pensioner you know, but I do realize they will make mistakes, as did I.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Major said:
    I never say things I don’t mean and I never bother with Facebook or Twitter.  Don't  post what isn't a true belief. 
    Neither do I, but that's a generation thing as social media wasn't about when I was in my teens. However, I would have said and done things then that I later regretted when I matured, but luckily for me, they weren't plastered all over SM. 

I can't pretend to understand the thinking of the youth of today as I'm nearly an old age pensioner you know, but I do realize they will make mistakes, as did I.
    Well said, indeed I am very pleased none of this social media stuff was around when I was a teen in the 1980’s - some of the things I got up to would see me up before the beak these days !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:
    Major said:
    Sure.
  • Options
    IanJRO said:
    cblock said:
    Also, he took penalties at New York Red Bulls according to Wikipedia, which is unusual for a right back.
    Bob Curtis and Gary Neville spring to mind.
    Gary Neville?!  Don't remember that.

Denis Irwin (and Steve Bruce) as defenders at United yes, but Neville?

Nelson Vivas was a right back taking a penalty that I remember fondly.
    Michael Gray is the best full back penalty taker I can remember :-)
    Don't forget Stuart Pearce
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I have to admit I would have preferred the other Swindon right-back from last season who went onto MK. Egbo hasn't progressed as expected and although he ended the season well, a dozen or so games isn't much to go on. 

Of course I'm not writing him off and Garner clearly rates him so that's good enough for me. 
    He only joined Swindon in March. Played nine games, six of which were the final six games of the season, five of which they won. He got three assists in those three games.  I think the other three matches were the playoffs? Or did they include the playoffs?
    ‘Hasn’t progressed as expected’ I guess refers to the fact that he started at Palace but had to step down to Swindon via Germany and the MLS? Not sure that’s reputation ruining, but shows Swindon had decent scouts maybe?
    My money’s on him turning out to be better than the one who went to MK. or perhaps they’re both verby good. Can happen. 
    Not sure about that, he's gone from England youth international to League 2. I don't think it had anything to do with Swindon's scouts, would imagine he made the move purely because he knew Garner from Palace. He's played 36 first team games in 3 years. I'm excited to see him and he definitely remains with potential, but Kesler is only 19 and played roughly the same amount of games last season as Egbo has over the last 3, the second half of which was in a top League 1 side. He also wouldn't have counted towards the squad cap. 

I don't want it to sound negative because that's really not the case. I was just comparing the two and all things considered I really wanted Kesler. Of course it's possible it was never going to happen and I'm sure Egbo will go on and have a solid season. 
  • Options
    Charlton have signed a couple of eggs in 1 week.

Hash brown orientated surname could be next 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Charlton have signed a couple of eggs in 1 week.

Hash brown orientated surname could be next 
    Can't we get Paul Bacon back in some capacity?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Not sure about that, he's gone from England youth international to League 2. I don't think it had anything to do with Swindon's scouts, would imagine he made the move purely because he knew Garner from Palace. He's played 36 first team games in 3 years. I'm excited to see him and he definitely remains with potential, but Kesler is only 19 and played roughly the same amount of games last season as Egbo has over the last 3, the second half of which was in a top League 1 side. He also wouldn't have counted towards the squad cap. 

I don't want it to sound negative because that's really not the case. I was just comparing the two and all things considered I really wanted Kesler. Of course it's possible it was never going to happen and I'm sure Egbo will go on and have a solid season. 
    Fair enough. But football’s a funny old game and either or both of the could have great seasons. Or the opposite. 
  • Options
    I see Garner has already got him in the stands looking for the balls from last seasons shooting practice.
    He really has got a loud voice.

He mustn't do that on a matchday in The West Stand.