Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mandela Egbo - gone to Colchester (p17)

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Speaking to someone that has been aware of him for at least a decade.

Massive potential, talent alone he would be playing in the Premier League.  Probably can cruise top half league 1/bottom half championship.

Sounds to me a bit like old Yassin, also sounds to me Garner is the man that can squeeze it, or at least enough of it, out of him.
    I have to admit I would have preferred the other Swindon right-back from last season who went onto MK. Egbo hasn't progressed as expected and although he ended the season well, a dozen or so games isn't much to go on. 

Of course I'm not writing him off and Garner clearly rates him so that's good enough for me. 
    He only joined Swindon in March. Played nine games, six of which were the final six games of the season, five of which they won. He got three assists in those three games.  I think the other three matches were the playoffs? Or did they include the playoffs?
    ‘Hasn’t progressed as expected’ I guess refers to the fact that he started at Palace but had to step down to Swindon via Germany and the MLS? Not sure that’s reputation ruining, but shows Swindon had decent scouts maybe?
    My money’s on him turning out to be better than the one who went to MK. or perhaps they’re both verby good. Can happen. 
    Not sure about that, he's gone from England youth international to League 2. I don't think it had anything to do with Swindon's scouts, would imagine he made the move purely because he knew Garner from Palace. He's played 36 first team games in 3 years. I'm excited to see him and he definitely remains with potential, but Kesler is only 19 and played roughly the same amount of games last season as Egbo has over the last 3, the second half of which was in a top League 1 side. He also wouldn't have counted towards the squad cap. 

I don't want it to sound negative because that's really not the case. I was just comparing the two and all things considered I really wanted Kesler. Of course it's possible it was never going to happen and I'm sure Egbo will go on and have a solid season. 
    Fair enough. But football’s a funny old game and either or both of the could have great seasons. Or the opposite. 
    Very true, I'd always go for the player that's just had League 1 experience though. Either way, I'm just pleased Garner is bringing in players he clearly wants and who will suit his style. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Major said:
    If that is what he thinks he can do one. I thought we wanted players who wanted to be here...not ones that run us down. 
    What was all that tosh he spouted about a big club on the day he signed us ?
    Forgive and forget eh! Eight years ago when he was a teenager at Palace 🤣 You ever said anything silly that might come back to haunt you one day?
    He didn't even say anything bad, just a light-hearted dig.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Major said:
    If that is what he thinks he can do one. I thought we wanted players who wanted to be here...not ones that run us down. 
    Forgive and forget eh! Eight years ago when he was a teenager at Palace 🤣 You ever said anything silly that might come back to haunt you one day?
    I never say things I don’t mean and I never bother with Facebook or Twitter.  Don't  post what isn't a true belief. 
    Neither do I, but that's a generation thing as social media wasn't about when I was in my teens. However, I would have said and done things then that I later regretted when I matured, but luckily for me, they weren't plastered all over SM. 

I can't pretend to understand the thinking of the youth of today as I'm nearly an old age pensioner you know, but I do realize they will make mistakes, as did I.
    Why say it or worse print it if you don't  mean it....this saying it and then apologising after I don't buy. It is synical to say the least. 

That sentence was what he thought...no two ways about it.  
    Please learn to spell…..
  • Options
    Major said:
    Offended GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Options
    Anyway, welcome Egbo.

Got a positive feeling about this signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    If anyone says they have never said or done anything they didn’t mean, well.. that’s the Mandela Effect :smiley:
    Yeah in 1998 I said to my parents... "I'm gonna buy a Charlton Season Ticket"

God what an idiot I was
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    Another example of our fragile fanbase.

I am of a very similar age to Egbo and can happily admit I have said and done things I didn’t mean when I was a teenager. But when it’s quite clearly said in jest towards Grant, 8 years ago! - why is this even a topic of discussion?

It’s like me saying “my mate X (insert name) is a great guy, one of the nicest people you can meet but no one’s perfect, he’s a Y (insert club) supporter!”

Why are people getting so protective and sensitive over this? It’s odd.
    It’s only one person to be fair.
    Yes, on this occasion, and on here. But you can bet there are many more thinking just the same. So often other times it’s much more and across CL and social media. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    Another example of our fragile fanbase.

I am of a very similar age to Egbo and can happily admit I have said and done things I didn’t mean when I was a teenager. But when it’s quite clearly said in jest towards Grant, 8 years ago! - why is this even a topic of discussion?

It’s like me saying “my mate X (insert name) is a great guy, one of the nicest people you can meet but no one’s perfect, he’s a Y (insert club) supporter!”

Why are people getting so protective and sensitive over this? It’s odd.
    It’s only one person to be fair.
    Yes, on this occasion, and on here. But you can bet there are many more thinking just the same. So often other times it’s much more and across CL and social media. 
    Not looked in this example but no doubt there are some strange comments on this somewhere in the depths of Twitter.
  • Options
    Is this the wrong time to bring up Andy Murrays comments about the England team?
  • Options
    Is this the wrong time to bring up Andy Murrays comments about the England team?
    Or Diego Poyet's about Andy Carroll, still my favourite of the genre 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Charlton have signed a couple of eggs in 1 week.

I think they're trying to get them all in the same basket.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Major said:
    I never say things I don’t mean and I never bother with Facebook or Twitter.  Don't  post what isn't a true belief. 
    Neither do I, but that's a generation thing as social media wasn't about when I was in my teens. However, I would have said and done things then that I later regretted when I matured, but luckily for me, they weren't plastered all over SM. 

I can't pretend to understand the thinking of the youth of today as I'm nearly an old age pensioner you know, but I do realize they will make mistakes, as did I.
    Why say it or worse print it if you don't  mean it....this saying it and then apologising after I don't buy. It is synical to say the least. 

Mate, he was having a little joke with Karlan his friend.
    When it was pointed out this week, he had a little joke with the Charlton fans.
    Everyone gets it apart from you.
    You might be better off just reading other people's posts instead of posting gibberish and other posts that just make you look silly.
    Of course he was and you know that as a fact
    I thought you were old school. I never took you for an administer of Cancel Culture... Condemning someone for something they said when they were a teenager is quintessential CC behaviour!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Rewinding the clock to England U17..

England U17s (1-4-2-3-1): 1 Fred Woodman (Newcastle United), 3 Callum Connolly (Everton), 5 Joe Gomez (Charlton Athletic), 15 Taylor Moore (RC Lens), 2 Tafari Moore (Arsenal); 4 Ryan Ledson (C) (Everton), 14 Lewis Cook (Leeds United); 11 Isaiah Brown (Chelsea), 8 Josh Onomah (Tottenham Hotspur), 10 Dominic Solanke (Chelsea); 9 Adam Armstrong (Newcastle United). Substitutes: 16 Callum Cooke (Middlesbrough) for Cook 76, 17 Josh Sims (Southampton) for Solanke 78, 7 Demetri Mitchell (Manchester United) for Brown 80. Substitutes not used: 13 Sam Howes (West Ham United), 6 Dael Fry (Middlesbrough), 12 Mandela Egbo (Crystal Palace), 18 Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    Major said:

Mate, he was having a little joke with Karlan his friend.
    When it was pointed out this week, he had a little joke with the Charlton fans.
    Everyone gets it apart from you.
    You might be better off just reading other people's posts instead of posting gibberish and other posts that just make you look silly.
    Of course he was and you know that as a fact
    You ok hun?
  • Options
    DFTT
  • Options
    Major said:
     :D  You are the gift that keeps on giving. Hilarious.