Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Womens Euros 2022: 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 CHAMPIONS!!!

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Austria won as many 50/50s as us but we defended well. I was disappointed with us in an attacking sense and the subs didn't really change anything. I think an issue was getting the lead and being relatively safe defensively, we were probably a bit too risk averse. Having said that, we won which is key. I'd give player of the match to Bright who was a rock.
  • 3 points first game. Happy days.
  • redman said:
    well certainly in that picture thye whole of the ball is not over the whole of the line. Having been watching Hawkeye at Wimbledon looks like football is using duff technology. 
    I didn't see the game so there may well be a better shot of this but to me it's the angle of the camera to the crossbar that is confusing things. The ball looks over the actual goal line.

In the PL they do the 3D thing and zoom right in, why didn't they do that here?

• redman said:
    well certainly in that picture thye whole of the ball is not over the whole of the line. Having been watching Hawkeye at Wimbledon looks like football is using duff technology. 
    I didn't see the game so there may well be a better shot of this but to me it's the angle of the camera to the crossbar that is confusing things. The ball looks over the actual goal line.

They did and the ball was shown clearly over the line ... If you trust the technology.

I think the ground staff should utilise their spirit levels and plumb lines this morning though.  That cross bar doesn't look parallel with the goal line to me.
  • Actually, that angle looks like it has been chosen deliberately - if any of the ball is visible over the thin black line between goalline and crossbar it might not be over - but as it isn't, it is
  • Good performance until the last 20 yards... Where have we seen that before? 

Entertaining, some really good long balls out to the wing, even my wife, who isn't a big fan of women's football put down her iPad and watched a chunk of the game.

Get the finishing right and they should go all the way.  
  • Leuth said:
    Actually, that angle looks like it has been chosen deliberately - if any of the ball is visible over the thin black line between goalline and crossbar it might not be over - but as it isn't, it is
    I hope not.

The thin black line is depicting the space beyond a plane drawn from the front of the crossbar to the back of the goal line.

In 'real time', I didn't think the ball was completely over the line ... but the officials did.  And it's borderline ... so let's go with the officials.
  • Oh yeah, whoops. Game needs more goals though, right? 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Leuth said:
    Actually, that angle looks like it has been chosen deliberately - if any of the ball is visible over the thin black line between goalline and crossbar it might not be over - but as it isn't, it is
    I hope not.

The thin black line is depicting the space beyond a plane drawn from the front of the crossbar to the back of the goal line.

In 'real time', I didn't think the ball was completely over the line ... but the officials did.  And it's borderline ... so let's go with the officials.
    The thin black line is the back of the goal line, the broadcast goal line camera at Old Trafford needs fixing as it's in the wrong place, not that it matters as it doesn't feed into the Hawkeye system, but looks bad from an information to viewers point of view. 
  • Surely it doesn't matter what it looks like anymore as goal line technology tells us if it went over the line or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• I had been planning on taking my wife and daughter to the Denmark Spain game at Brentford a week on Sat. Was going to do Sutton in the afternoon then Brentford in the evening. Checked last night and it's sold out.

Does anyone have any clue whether tickets get resold if sent back in advance? Long shot I know but would still really like to go

Cheers 
  • White is a good finisher except with her head, don't think i have seen her head a ball properly. The forward who didn't get on, 'England' is not bad at heading. If we are going to continually put high crosses in they should give her a go instead.    

Thought the occasion affected a few of the England team so hopefully they would have got that out of their system and play their natural game in the next group games.   
  • Norway were looking very suspect at the back even before that absolute cluster for the goal. Can definitely be got at
  • Is anyone else watching this game? NI are 4-1 down and their keeper’s timewasting. And the commentator just said she’s been impressed with their ‘game management’…whilst losing 4-1. Wtf?
  • edited July 2022
    Rothko said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Leuth said:
    I hope not.

The thin black line is the back of the goal line, the broadcast goal line camera at Old Trafford needs fixing as it's in the wrong place, not that it matters as it doesn't feed into the Hawkeye system, but looks bad from an information to viewers point of view. 
    What?

How can any line with a degree of width be the back of another line?

Sharpen up.
  • redman said:

They did and the ball was shown clearly over the line ... If you trust the technology.

I think the ground staff should utilise their spirit levels and plumb lines this morning though.  That cross bar doesn't look parallel with the goal line to me.
    Yup, here it is

• Northern Ireland battled gamely despite a lot of their players being very poor.
  • Northern Ireland battled gamely despite a lot of their players being very poor.
    I believe i'm right in saying that a lot of their team are semi-pro so it's not a surprise there was a gulf in class. Norway for example have 2 strikers who play for Lyon and Barcelona.
  • Northern Ireland were very good in their press, they just lacked any explosiveness on the counter attack. They weren't very quick and tended to linger too long on the ball so Norway could recover it fairly easily. Norway looked the opposite to England; looked dangerous in attack, albeit against a very limited defence, but completely porous at the back in a turnover. With England we didn't establish enough passing moves to create chances and relied too much on crossing, but you could have sent an army against Millie Bright and it still would have ended goalless. All in all you get further in tournaments with a strong defence than a strong attack so we should hopefully be able to get some good results as we sharpen up
  • edited July 2022
    I thought with Northern Ireland they lacked the ability to tackle correctly and to mark correctly. Their passing was innacurate and they couldn't support their fowards. This was because they were not as good as their opponents. But they were cerainly game and that in itself meant a far superior side found it hard to totally pull away from them. Progress for them is losing 4-1 to the better teams when a few years ago it would have been 8 or 9 nil.
  • Sponsored links:

• Disappointing viewing figures for the England game

imagine will increase as tournament goes on, but think the non England games will be of a wipe out viewer wise
  • I watched the two games from Italy. Going to the beach later so will miss tonights game/s
  • Austria OK, England should have scored more, Norway nearly ruthless, N Ireland poor. 
  • Great start for Finland!
  • MrOneLung said:
    Disappointing viewing figures for the England game

imagine will increase as tournament goes on, but think the non England games will be of a wipe out viewer wise
    I suspect the non England games will soon be moved from BBC1
  • Austria OK, England should have scored more, Norway nearly ruthless, N Ireland poor. 
    N Ireland are literally the worst team in the competition, the Irish FA had to pay for the players to have time off of work to train for the competition.
  • Spain look good.
  • edited July 2022
    MrOneLung said:

England v Austria was the highest viewed thing on TV that night, suspect the BBC are pretty happy about that, and had higher figures then Wimbledon that day 
  • Rothko said:
    MrOneLung said:

England v Austria was the highest viewed thing on TV that night, suspect the BBC are pretty happy about that 
    read it peaked it around 3.7m which is slightly disappointing in my opinion (and on TV ratings threads)
  • MrOneLung said:
    Rothko said:
    MrOneLung said:

England v Austria was the highest viewed thing on TV that night, suspect the BBC are pretty happy about that 
    read it peaked it around 3.7m which is slightly disappointing in my opinion (and on TV ratings threads)
    Plus iPlayer streams it got to 4.5m, considering Corrie does 5m most nights including catch up, that’s impressive