Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

U18s | CAFC fan coach up to Sheff Utd for the U18s final on Saturday - KO noon (p9)

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    What a great sport football can be, especially when you win.
    Great to meet @jimmyseed, @charlton4ever, @Pico at the game too.
    There was no downside whatsoever to that event this afternoon.
    The Barnsley goalscorer was good, and indeed Barnsley were good, but the attention they gave to Kanu, up to the Leaburn substitution was effective and fierce, but an indication of how much they feared him, soon as the impressive Leaburn came on Kanu had a sniff, and bosh a goal and he'd got us back in it.
    Ryan Huke gave about as good a cameo as you can get, seemed unplayable, great goal and he might have had a penalty too.
    The other substitute was 16 sixteen!! year old Josh Laqeretabua, who came on and played the perfect game bar one mistake.
    When you're talking young players our winner was scored by Asimwe, just turned 18 a month ago, and a player who has made very good progress this season, also featuring in the U23's, and graduating from mainly right back to playing more centrally. I thought he had a great game.
    All the players gave their all, held their nerve, and displayed great ability and teamwork. What more could anybody ask?
    Did you get a teamsheet?
  • Options
    Yes eventually.
    I asked the steward on the staircase and he said there was a hold up, this was about 1.35. We waited for a while then another steward came out and gave them out amongst some of the seats. I don't know what it was like at the turnstiles.
  • Options
    I really hope they aren't involved beyond maybe a few cup games.

They are kids, still growing, still developing,  still learning and while there is lots of potential they should be allowed to develop in the U23s and maybe on loan.
    I've never been keen on the Pizza Trophy, but I enjoyed seeing Burstow and co in the games this year, so having a smattering of U23 in the team and U18s on the bench for those games next season would be interesting.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

They are kids, still growing, still developing,  still learning and while there is lots of potential they should be allowed to develop in the U23s and maybe on loan.
    I think when a player is 18 ish, so long as they’re physically robust, there’s no real reason why they shouldn’t get a little taste of fist team football. Some kids at that age aren’t ready of course, but but you see 18 and 19 year olds breaking through in all divisions, from time to time. 
    I remember Wayne Rooney coming on for Everton as an 18 year old at The Valley and looking like scoring every time he got the ball, although he was clearly a bit of a one-off. 
    Some kids are fearless at 18 or 19, and keeping away from the action might actually make them more apprehensive when they do finally get a chance. 
    Also wanted to agree with @Swisdom who rated Karoy Anderson so highly. He did a couple of swivelling turns that were probably the best bits of skill I’ve seen from a Charlton player all season. 
  • Options

Kanu looks the real deal, and if you're good enough, you're old enough. There's being allowed time to develop and then there is being wasted playing in the youth teams, when you've got a player scoring 40 goals, I'd be inclined to believe the latter if he isn't involved more next season
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Well done to the lads. Kanu will het his chance in pre-season.
  • Options
    The introduction of young players into what they call ‘mens football’ is a delicate art, it has risks, but also rewards.
    John Cartwright once said to me at Sparrows Lane when the subject came up ‘Pele played in a World Cup final at 17’.
    Each case will be different.
    Anybody remember Anthony Barness? His consistency meant he could be introduced when needed, there was no need in his case to wait.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Karoy is a future star. 
  • Options
    It is always worth being cautious about predictions.
    At one stage, when they were at the same level with us, you could hardly get a fag paper between Josh Umerah, Brandon Hanlan and Karlan Grant, but as things have progressed they have all ‘made it’, but now in those terms they have separated into Gold, Silver and Bronze success wise.
  • Options
    Away at the moment so I missed this. Do we have any idea on when the final will be?
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Away at the moment so I missed this. Do we have any idea on when the final will be?
    I believe the other semi final is today.
    Once we have a result we should find out soon.
    Incidentally does anybody know what would’ve happened yesterday if it had been a draw.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Incidentally does anybody know what would’ve happened yesterday if it had been a draw.
    Extra time and penalties
  • Options
    Sheffield United v Colchester.
    I'm guessing the final will be played next Saturday.
  • Options
    Walkover for Sheff Utd.
  • Options
    The final is next Saturday.

The talk at the game yesterday was that if Colchester beat Sheffield United the match should be at The Valley but the pitch is due to be dug up next week. The early start to the next season doesn't leave long for the new grass to grow.

Nobody knew where the game will be played if Sheffield United win.
  • Options
    Ah well, I’ll miss that too then.  Never mind 😎🌞🍻
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    TelMc32 said:
    I sat in front of the grandfather of one of the players, and he seemed to think the final would be next weekend. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Other semi-final kicked off at 3.00pm

Live stream on Sheff Us YouTube 
  • Options
    Sheffield U 0-1 Colchester (HT)
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    2-1
  • Options
    Now 2-1 to Sheffield

• Options
    4 - 1
  • Options
    5 - 1 FT
  • Options
    They'll be very tough to beat in the final considering they went the entire league season unbeaten.
  • Options
    They'll be very tough to beat in the final considering they went the entire league season unbeaten.
    We drew 3-3 with them in our sole League encounter earlier in the season.