Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

U18s | CAFC fan coach up to Sheff Utd for the U18s final on Saturday - KO noon (p9)

Comments

• Options
    Just got back.

We were poor early on and Barnsley deserved their lead but they started to time waste  and commit a lot of shirt pulls that went unpunished.

Putting Leaburn on meant we went more direct and we started to trouble them, Huke's running worried them and he scored a very nice goal.

I was very impressed with the 14 whose name I can't spell.

Shored up the defence, strong, big, good on the ball. He's a real prospect.

Crowd sense the comeback and was voicing its frustration at the weak referring.

Barnsley wilted at 2 - 2 and we looked the likely winners.

Really pleased I went. Met Martin Sandgaard and he gave me the inside track on the managerial appointment.

Hope the final is at the Valley.
    Was he wearing a training top with "Gaffer" or "Head Coach" on it?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    very impressive
    That made me giggle …. Lifers are gushing about some of the performances but short and sweet is good 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    What a great sport football can be, especially when you win.
    Great to meet @jimmyseed, @charlton4ever, @Pico at the game too.
    There was no downside whatsoever to that event this afternoon.
    The Barnsley goalscorer was good, and indeed Barnsley were good, but the attention they gave to Kanu, up to the Leaburn substitution was effective and fierce, but an indication of how much they feared him, soon as the impressive Leaburn came on Kanu had a sniff, and bosh a goal and he'd got us back in it.
    Ryan Huke gave about as good a cameo as you can get, seemed unplayable, great goal and he might have had a penalty too.
    The other substitute was 16 sixteen!! year old Josh Laqeretabua, who came on and played the perfect game bar one mistake.
    When you're talking young players our winner was scored by Asimwe, just turned 18 a month ago, and a player who has made very good progress this season, also featuring in the U23's, and graduating from mainly right back to playing more centrally. I thought he had a great game.
    All the players gave their all, held their nerve, and displayed great ability and teamwork. What more could anybody ask?
    🎶 a clean sheet win 🎸
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    YTS1978 said:
    That was brilliant. Crowd getting behind the lads, getting on the refs back a little late on and a great comeback by the boys. Thought we were pretty average for the 1st hour, but once we got one back we sensed the fear and steam rollered them! #16 made the difference for us when he came on, they just couldn't handle him! Who is he? Thought our #'s 4 and 8 were good too. Their #3 was impressive. COYA

Edit. Got to mention Kanu too. They dealt with him pretty well, mainly by fouling him, but one chance and it was in the net. Top stuff. Really hope we can get him in the team and hold onto him for at least a season or so. 
    16 was @Tracey's son Miles Leaburn, 4 was Matt Dench and 8 was Karoy Anderson, who I think was captain.
    Thanks @aliwibble . Thought Leeeeeeeeaburn changed the game tbh! Dench and Anderson (yeah he was skipper) were very good I thought.
  • Options
    Just got back.

We were poor early on and Barnsley deserved their lead but they started to time waste  and commit a lot of shirt pulls that went unpunished.

Putting Leaburn on meant we went more direct and we started to trouble them, Huke's running worried them and he scored a very nice goal.

I was very impressed with the 14 whose name I can't spell.

Shored up the defence, strong, big, good on the ball. He's a real prospect.

Crowd sense the comeback and was voicing its frustration at the weak referring.

Barnsley wilted at 2 - 2 and we looked the likely winners.

Really pleased I went. Met Martin Sandgaard and he gave me the inside track on the managerial appointment.

Hope the final is at the Valley.
    Was he wearing a training top with "Gaffer" or "Head Coach" on it?
    No, a nice tight fit half zip jumper (not a cardigan)
  • Options
    What position does Dench play?

I always presumed that he was a Left-Back, but he looked to be playing as a holding Midfielder today?
  • Options

I always presumed that he was a Left-Back, but he looked to be playing as a holding Midfielder today?
    Listed on Valley Gold Academy notes as a Midfielder
  • Options
    dench is s midfielder and I was surprised to see him ahead of Harvey Kedwell

thought he did ok but for s few bad decisions when passing.  
  • Options
    No problem, and again thanks for responding :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:
    Sat quite close to Tracey by the directors box, when Miles came on, I said to my young son, that’s his mum, with that an indignant Carlo leant forward as I had not seen him behind the wall sitting there shrugging his shoulders at me as if to say “what about me” 
    Had a giggle with him and a photo at the the end.

Agree with @Henry Irving 14 Josh Laqeretabua changed the game, solid and strong, also impressed with bower at left back and Adigun (10) work rate
    Great story 
  • Options
    what was the attendance ?
  • Options

Nicknamed Judi purely because he can play any number of roles for the team 😉
  • Options
    Barnsley were late, and their coach did hit a car opposite the main entrance as it swung in, 15 point turn and reverse later they managed it.
  • Options

Nicknamed Judi purely because he can play any number of roles for the team 😉
    I thought his nickname was Frimpong ;) 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    seth plum said:
    The Barnsley goalscorer was good, and indeed Barnsley were good, but the attention they gave to Kanu, up to the Leaburn substitution was effective and fierce, but an indication of how much they feared him, soon as the impressive Leaburn came on Kanu had a sniff, and bosh a goal and he'd got us back in it.
    Ryan Huke gave about as good a cameo as you can get, seemed unplayable, great goal and he might have had a penalty too.
    The other substitute was 16 sixteen!! year old Josh Laqeretabua, who came on and played the perfect game bar one mistake.
    When you're talking young players our winner was scored by Asimwe, just turned 18 a month ago, and a player who has made very good progress this season, also featuring in the U23's, and graduating from mainly right back to playing more centrally. I thought he had a great game.
    All the players gave their all, held their nerve, and displayed great ability and teamwork. What more could anybody ask?
    Alas, I’m @JamesSeed, @jimmyseed was taken (but not used). 
    Lovely to briefly chat with proud mum @tracey after the final whistle. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    Alas, I’m @JamesSeed, @jimmyseed was taken (but not used). 
    Lovely to briefly chat with proud mum @tracey after the final whistle. 

HUMBLE APOLOGIES I auto chose the wrong one!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    No good dominating the season if you stumble in the playoffs. Barnsley have looked the superior side today to be honest
    Well done to the U18s today.  Great stuff and wonderful to see them make a final.  
    Why have you quoted me there? Did you watch the game? I commented this just as we went 2-0 down, and Barnsley at that point were easily the better of the two sides. I even commented later all credit to them to turn it around. 

Weirdo
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    So hard to know which of the players could progress through to the first team, but I certainly wouldn’t rule any of them out. 
    Like others have said, the number 14 Josh Laqeratabua (aged just 16 as Seth pointed out) and number 12 Ryan Huke were outstanding. And you only have to look at the video of Kanu’s goal to realise he’s a proper finisher. Leaburn also made a difference when he came on. 
    Asiimwe was strong, and what a great header from the first decent corner of the match! 
    I’d be so tempted to try and get some of them involved in first team football (especially Huke and Laqeratabua), but I’m also aware of how that’s fraught with danger.
    Dont think I’ve come away from a match all season feeling so positive. 
  • Options
    Watched the stream with a mate, and certainly Barnsley were the stronger team in the first 70 mins. the subs made the difference, the last 15 mins the subs made the difference, Leaburn and Huke were suberb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was hoping Karoy Anderson might be able to show Gilbey how to play the Gilbey role in the 1st team towards the end of the season.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If Tyreece Campbell had been fit, we would have had an extra layer and I reckon he would have been every bit as threatening as their tricky goalscorer.
    Forgot all about Tyreece 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If Tyreece Campbell had been fit, we would have had an extra layer and I reckon he would have been every bit as threatening as their tricky goalscorer.
    He's someone I could see breaking through in the next year or two. Being a winger it's much easier to bring him off the bench and if he does well give him starts. Does rely on us switching to a formation that uses wingers though.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I saw Campbell on crutches about a month ago sadly so I’d guess his season is over 

aliwibble said:
    Went today. So refreshing to see a Charlton side play such positive football. We didn't panic at 2 down. We stuck to our game plan and had faith in our ability. 

Special shout out to Karoy Anderson, the lad is a top leader and captain. 
    It looked like Adigun (I think) was at the risk of getting trouble with the ref because he was so incensed with one particular decision - I think the one where the Barnsley player basically fell over - and Anderson did a good job of ushering him away to intercede with the ref instead. Good captaining.

Anyone who saw that game cannot fail to be impressed with Karoy.  He’s one hell of a talent and he’s one of the younger ones.  Brilliant talent. Skill, pace strength and vision and his reading of the game is top notch.  Genuinely think he’ll go a long way in the game and he seems like a real team player too.  Not wishing to put too much pressure on him but he needs to be involved in pre-season 
    If our recruitment is like last summer's they will all be involved in pre season.