Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RETAINED LIST | Club trigger one-year extension on Forster-Caskey, Innis, Davison, Harness

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    If we put down what we have now, our 11 in a 433 looks like:

MacG (AMB)

Clare, Inniss (Elewere), Lavelle, Purrington (assuming he stays- he's unlikely to have better offers)

Fraser (Gilbey), Dobson, Forster Caskey (Morgan)

DJ, Stockley (Aneke/Davison), CBT (Kirk).

We need 2 central defenders, given Inniss' injury record, Elewere's lack of experience, 2 full backs that can attack, another central midfielder and I would say at least two more forward/wide options.

I don't think we can play this system with Stockley up front either; I would rather we modified the 352 or played a diamond.  

I don’t think this looks too sad either:

MacG
    New, Innis, Lavelle, New
    Dobson, JFC
    Fraser
    CBT, Stockley, Kirk

The full backs are vital, I genuinely mean that they could be the difference between another mid table finish and a promotion push. 

Also would like to see a new centre half and winger if that’s the formation we play.
  • Options
    If these decisions have been taken without any input from the new manager (whoever that may be), we are in BIG trouble for next year. 
    Just for fair balance I know Fleetwood are trying to sign someone I know and they don’t have a manager in place at the moment. We aren’t the only team doing this. 

I agree that clubs do this, but it still seems odd to me signing players who a new manager may not like. Surely that's a waste of money that would be better used recruiting players that a new manager wants and who fit with his style of play?
    Unless the plan is to establish a style of play and then sign players and hire a manager that suits it. That's what Southampton do, they make sure that the manager that comes in wants to work in a style that is consistent with the club's playing philosophy, so although they may find their signings aren't as good as they hoped they're never the wrong fit in terms of shape and strategy. If we're focusing on a high pressing team, maybe in a certain formation, then we get in a high pressing manager and a load of very fit, quick, pressing footballers then unless the manager doesn't like a player's haircut there's unlikely to be a huge number of complaints.
    Washington was the best (only?) player in our squad who was capable of playing a high press!
    But not the only one in the world capable of doing it. Could be that he was offered and wanted too much money, could be he didn't want to stay, could be that we're trying to get in better. What follows in place of him is the key now.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    If we put down what we have now, our 11 in a 433 looks like:

MacG (AMB)

Clare, Inniss (Elewere), Lavelle, Purrington (assuming he stays- he's unlikely to have better offers)

Fraser (Gilbey), Dobson, Forster Caskey (Morgan)

DJ, Stockley (Aneke/Davison), CBT (Kirk).

We need 2 central defenders, given Inniss' injury record, Elewere's lack of experience, 2 full backs that can attack, another central midfielder and I would say at least two more forward/wide options.

I don't think we can play this system with Stockley up front either; I would rather we modified the 352 or played a diamond.  

Would need a lot of work recruitment wise for  the diamond I'd say.

2 full backs as we, well, have none.
    2/3 CBs because Inniss is mainly a community ambassador
    2 forwards 
    1 proper no. 10 

Then have 2/3 wingers sitting on the bench scratching their bollocks most of the time.

But I guess that would apply to 352 as well TBF.
  • Options
    we need a more reliable goalkeeper than MacGillivray .. the keeper is THE most important player in the team 

Sandy says he is looking for at least 5 loan players ? .. i m o that is 3 too many .. we want OUR players playing for US .. and yes I know Cullen, Bielik etc, they were exceptional loanees .. I don't expect that we will get anywhere near their quality .. I would rather have a smallish squad than have to rely on loans, UNLESS we can get two REAL quality players in 
  • Options
    I have no issue with 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 with the right players. 

4-3-3 you once again need wingers that can drop into midfield, which I think DJ & CBT have improved on massively, but it's still not entirely natural. I also don't want Stockley at the head of that formation. We need someone who can bring the ball down and hold it up, not just 50p flick it everywhere. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

4-3-3 you once again need wingers that can drop into midfield, which I think DJ & CBT have improved on massively, but it's still not entirely natural. I also don't want Stockley at the head of that formation. We need someone who can bring the ball down and hold it up, not just 50p flick it everywhere. 
    If we played 433 with DJ and CBT, where are the goals coming from?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I'd hope playing further up the pitch (not having to constantly track back to defence) they'd get more opportunities to get into shooting/crossing positions.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I'd hope playing further up the pitch (not having to constantly track back to defence) they'd get more opportunities to get into shooting/crossing positions.
    Goals will come from throughout the team if we can play our way up the pitch instead of going back to front immediately up to Stockley.
  • Options
    The CBT we saw towards the end of season would provide a fair number. 
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2022
    Anyone with a reasonable guess of what weekly wages have been placed back in the pot with that released list, assume Gunter, Watson, Matthew’s and Henderson were on a good whack for L1 level?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I just don’t think it’s a wise idea, we’d need too many players. DJ doesn’t look like a goal scoring winger at all 
  • Options
    If we go 4-3-3, DJ can’t be first choice - nowhere near good enough.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Anyone with a reasonable guess of what weekly wages have been placed back in the pot with that released list, assume Gunter, Watson, Matthew’s and Henderson were on a good whack for L1 level?
    Watson was at one stage the highest earner at the club, I don't know if Stockley etc went passed him.  Gunter was on slightly less.  Matthews less than that.  Guess Henderson was on not a lot really.  Sourae I doubt was on much.   No idea about Pearce, probably not that much as he signed as back up player last summer.

20k a week between them?   Half of that just in Watson and Gunter would be my guess.
  • Options
    Why would we go back to 433 or more likely how it ended 4231. Under Adkins . Stockley can’t play the formation unless we are getting rid of stockley as well. 
    DJ will not be 1st choice. he couldn’t play it either he stayed to wide. 

• Options
    Why would we go back to 433 or more likely how it ended 4231. Under Adkins . Stockley can’t play the formation unless we are getting rid of stockley as well. 
    DJ will not be 1st choice. he couldn’t play it either he stayed to wide. 

Truth be told we didn't have the players to play any formation, well, last season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Good to see Matthews gone.

Don’t agree with keeping Inniss. The fact that his community work gets mentioned so often shows his availability doesn’t justify a new contract.

I can still see Davison going, as with Fosu we might be hoping to get a small compensation fee for him.

Great to know Dobson as well as CBT and AMBA has an optional year which we can activate.

Commented on Washington on his thread - signs that we’ll move back to 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1?
    Some of the released, such as Faemwo, did not suit 3 at the back. If we are playing 433 or 4231, they are fine. Whether you need that flexibility is important to play both is a consideration. This is League one, players may be a bit limited. 

I know players need releasing & decisions made but   better for managers to be making these decisions. 
  • Options
    Maybe Washington had better offers coming in, or his agent wanted to see what was on offer before agreeing to re-sign?
    Just because he is leaving does not necessarily mean that a contract was not offered.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    How many do we need?

I think Davison out and Fraser in kept us at the squad cap limit.  Am I right in thinking that that is reduced by 1 for next season?

4 players from last years squad didn't count and ignore the keepers.

6 released, 3 loans add Morgan back in and take the 1 off, that's 7 spaces.  Isn't it?  That doesn't include Kirk.

So unless anyone else leaves, the squad cap is abolished, or we sign under age players we can only bring in 6.

We seriously need to get all of them perfect, not a lot of margin for error.

Looking as things stand,

At least 3 full backs.
    1 centre back
    1 winger 
    1 striker 

And this is without knowing the formation, so numbers I’d say at least 6.  Preferably 8.

First Team

Goalkeepers
    Craig MacGillivray 2023
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2023 
    Nathan Harness 2023

Right sided defenders

Left sided defenders

Centre Backs
    Deji Elerewe 2024
    Sam Lavelle 2024
    Ryan Innis 2023

Central Midfielders 
    George Dobson 2023
    Sean Clare 2023
    Scott Fraser 2025
    Alex Gilbey 2023
    Albie Morgan 2023
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2023

Wingers 
    Corey Blackett-Taylor 2023
    Diallang Jaiyesimi 2024
    Charlie Kirk 2025

Strikers
    Chuks Aneke 2025
    Jayden Stockley 2024
    Josh Davison 2023

Some gaps to fill there for a top 2 finish.  
  • Options
    There's no way Davison is going to settle for being our number 3 striker, particularly if we are only going to play one.

In fact, I imagine he was quite fed up to hear the news the extension on his contract was being triggered. He's the main man now at Swindon, scored a few goals there, seems happy there and apparently is well like by the Swindon crowd.  Why give that up to come back just for the odd game here?

I'm assuming his contract has been extended so we might get a small transfer fee when we sell him and i will be amazed if he is still here when the season starts. 
  • Options
    be interesting to see how Davison does in the play offs, IF selected .. Swindon might make an offer if they go up .. he's done more than OK for them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Maybe Washington had better offers coming in, or his agent wanted to see what was on offer before agreeing to re-sign?
    Just because he is leaving does not necessarily mean that a contract was not offered.
    I think you have to state if the player has been released or offered a contract.  Its a throw back to the release and retain days

Its only a bigger thing now because they are all over social media, not just the local rag.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    If Swindon get promoted, I’d be surprised if Davison isn’t with them on a permanent next season, with a little cash in our coffers.
    Then he’d be a young striker who just scored 1 in 2 for the season in a promoted side.  That’s something we should be looking at.

Many of our fan base has written him off already, seems trigger happy to me.  
    All depends on if he can improve, which isn’t impossible, however although young still,it may be his level?, he really wasn’t good enough for us earlier in the season. But I think the correct decision was made by sending him on loan, probably would have done Morgan some good aswell. I’m not convinced by him yet but would happily see him progress. 
  • Options
    Innis is a very useful unit at set pieces but he is clumsy on the ball and a constant liability. Always injured. Daft decision to retain him imo.

JFC deserves another season to get going again.

Matthews - was a shame that he never regained his 19/20 form when he looked very solid in the Championship. Seems to have lost his edge and had to be moved on.

Washington's departure is better debated elsewhere on this forum.

I won't even notice the departure of the rest.
  • Options
    To be fair... Washington could have played like Messi at times, and I was a big fan of his.

But if he was a big reason behind unrest in the dressing room then he had to go - We need chemistry amongst a squad.

I've heard of one Manager (Might have been Wagner @ Huddersfield) who went into a club, and told the players to write down the names of those who they thought were disruptive in the dressing room - Was all kept confidential so the players didnt feel uncomfortable, but the handful that were listed, quietly got moved on to other clubs.

Feel we need to do similar.
    Is that why Grant left them....😆
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Goals will come from throughout the team if we can play our way up the pitch instead of going back to front immediately up to Stockley.
    It didn't last season, either with or without Stockley. Unless there is a major change in personnel & tactics I don't see our current midfield/ wingers scoring more than a dozen between them. 
  • Options
    To be fair... Washington could have played like Messi at times, and I was a big fan of his.

But if he was a big reason behind unrest in the dressing room then he had to go - We need chemistry amongst a squad.

I've heard of one Manager (Might have been Wagner @ Huddersfield) who went into a club, and told the players to write down the names of those who they thought were disruptive in the dressing room - Was all kept confidential so the players didnt feel uncomfortable, but the handful that were listed, quietly got moved on to other clubs.

Feel we need to do similar.
    Is that why Grant left them....😆
    Never laugh at your own jokes, especially if they are shit!
  • Options
    I’m not upset or surprised that Washington and all the others were let go, and I include Jackson in that. 

Last year was dire, the football was the worst I’ve seen in years. 

The year before that was not great and the second half of the year before that wasn’t too pretty.

We have been in desperate need of a clear-out and that’s exactly what we’ve got, a clear-out that so many of you have been demanding. 

The only things I’m disappointed with is the Innis extension and the possibility of Purrington getting another year.

So, I’m amazed at why so many of you are upset? I appreciate that we don’t know who’ll we’ll get in, but the football can’t be any worse than last season. Anyone who went to the last game of the season (or any other game for the matter) will vouch for that.

Finally, Davison wasn’t kept on over Washington, Davison was offered a new deal so we can sell him for a fee, any business man with half a brain would have done the same. 

It’s only May the 12th, we’ve not yet had the cup final, the premier league is still ongoing and people on here are wetting the bed! Take a breath and relax for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Matthews gone good, hope Purrington is soon behind...
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Matthews gone good, hope Purrington is soon behind...
    Purrington is fine in a back 4 although I'd only want him as back up. 
  • Options

I suppose that we've kept Inniss so that we can have a player win the PFA Players in the Community Award 2023.