Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RETAINED LIST | Club trigger one-year extension on Forster-Caskey, Innis, Davison, Harness

Comments

• has the new manager agreed with this list then. 
    I think the majority of the released players are no brainers and any manager worth there corn would have pretty much had the same list.
  • Interesting, that Matthews and Washington were regulars at the end of the season, but not retained, whereas we've offered Innis a contract and are negotiating with Purrington, who hardly played in the last month.

I still find it confusing that someone can be making such decisions, when we have no manager.
    I think the change in formation (if we go back to 433) is a factor. Purrington had no place under Jackson, he wasn't a LCB or a LWB, but as one of two left-backs he is fine. 
    Can someone explain to me how we can effectively go to 433, please .  I’ve asked but received no answer 
  • Washington is not just about goal scoring, by playing off the back of the opposition defence he occupies 2 of their players who otherwise could play further forward.

Whether Washington's departure is good will depend on his replacement, if it is Marquis then there is no hope.

Who is making the decisions??????
  • edited May 2022
    redbuttle said:
    So we need to sign at least two forwards and possibly even three as Aneke can't start and Davison is unlikely to either unless Stockley is injured. Or have I got that wrong?
    We will need another striker when Stockley goes.

Why do you say when Stockley goes @redbuttle ?

Jayden is on contract for another two seasons and he doesn't want to go north. He also doesn't want to be on the bench. (unlike Aneke) so not sure how he is moving on as he turned down Sheffield Wednesday before he signed his contract after his loan with cafc. I believe Pompey as well which was made public.
    If he feels the club or the new manager didn't want him then a move around the South east or South west would be his preferred choice.

• razil said:
    Interesting timing the day after early bird deadline.

was Washington the one who spread the new manager ‘rumour’?
    No Sandgaard Jnr let the cat out of the bag, maybe we should have let him go
  • paulfox said:
    If Swindon get promoted, I’d be surprised if Davison isn’t with them on a permanent next season, with a little cash in our coffers.
    He is rated there and played well when I saw him play.
  • Interesting, that Matthews and Washington were regulars at the end of the season, but not retained, whereas we've offered Innis a contract and are negotiating with Purrington, who hardly played in the last month.

I still find it confusing that someone can be making such decisions, when we have no manager.
    Maybe it's a secret ballot by the "recruitment team " ?  :-:smile:

• Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Would have kept Washington, would have released Inniss
    Said this on previous page and got know liked but stupid comment from dazzler 21 saying er you know they do different jobs. 
    Yes Washington plays football Innis watches injured. 
  • Happy with JFC as on his brief post injury appearances he looked a class above. Assuming he’s not got any long term injury issues of course. 
    I think Washington will be missed, as a backup at least, although I’m hoping it means they’ve got a decent replacement lined up, presumably one they think is an improvement. 

No different to Gallen finding a player & Sandgaard agreeing to the fee/wage structure. Or no different to a new manager coming in & having to decide on whether he wants to play Morgan or Gilbey. 
  • Can't wait for the meltdown on here come July 30th when we've signed diddly squat & relying on youth & loanees.....AGAIN. 

Really can't see Sandgaard spending the money needed to replace 12 or so players......especially when he said we would only be signing 2 or 3 key ones.  

• cabbles said:
    A shame for Washington as he works hard and has done ‘okay’.  However, if the choice is to get better than ‘okay’ it makes discussing a new contract with Purrington as a bit odd.  I know it’s a bit like comparing apples and oranges given their positions and then things like who we already have come into the decision making process, but for me, it’s hard to see much difference in what both add to the team through their respective positions.

Re; the others, Inniss has to be a back up.  He’s just about limped over 20 games over two seasons, so you would think he’s simply there to as cover.

I’ve never got the hype around JFC but I know I’m firmly in the minority so was pretty much expecting him to stay.  

I don’t get the Davison move either, other than to possibly get a fee.

Matthews I agree with but I think I’ll be crying if we resign him come July 😂.

There’s a couple of players under contract I would like to see us ship on in Gilbey and DJ, but can’t see that happening.

Pleased none of the loans have been made an offer 
    Pretty much how I see things. Contraversial I know, but Id have rather kept Conor and shipped out Mr One Dimensional Stockley. Stockton in for Stockley would have been ideal with Conor making the runs and space that he does.

If Conor was binned due to that gaff being made about Jackson leaving, then it begs even more questions of the owner...scapegoat sounds about right.
  • Agree or disagree with the decisions is down to opinion. 

Surely no one can think some of these decisions being made, either way, is mental without a manager in place. 
  • redbuttle said:
    So we need to sign at least two forwards and possibly even three as Aneke can't start and Davison is unlikely to either unless Stockley is injured. Or have I got that wrong?
    We will need another striker when Stockley goes.

Why do you say when Stockley goes @redbuttle ?

Jayden is on contract for another two seasons and he doesn't want to go north. He also doesn't want to be on the bench. (unlike Aneke) so not sure how he is moving on as he turned down Sheffield Wednesday before he signed his contract after his loan with cafc. I believe Pompey as well which was made public.
    If he feels the club or the new manager didn't want him then a move around the South east or South west would be his preferred choice.

Would be delighted if he does leave personally. He limits our play and formation flexibility too much.
  • As many others have said i'm really surprised that Washington wasn't offered at least 1 more year. I completely agree a side looking to get promotion should be aiming for better but.......if we assume that Stockley, a new striker and Aneke are the first 3 choices, then are we really going to find a better 4th choice league one striker than Washington? I highly doubt it. 
  • felix_31 said:
    Surprised about Washington,  but did not score enough goals for a striker 
    Yes he did 

2 seasons here, 11 league goals in each 

36 (11) 

35 (11) 

Equates to roughly 1 in 3.  I'd have at least offered him a one-year deal, ideally two.  Why not? 

Wont get you promoted & are stats for your 3rd or even 4th choice striker. 
    Which is exactly what he would've been.

Remember we will now be able to make 5 subs, so if we assume that Stockley and a new striker would be expected to start, then i don't think many league one sides would have better than Aneke and Washington coming off the bench after 55-60 minutes.

It's one i think we might regret, but we can't say for sure until we see who we bring in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• As many others have said i'm really surprised that Washington wasn't offered at least 1 more year. I completely agree a side looking to get promotion should be aiming for better but.......if we assume that Stockley, a new striker and Aneke are the first 3 choices, then are we really going to find a better 4th choice league one striker than Washington? I highly doubt it. 
    You have to look at the wages also though. Washington was getting paid as a 1st choice striker and since this next contract will be the last of his prime years, he wanted a rise. The club needs to evaluate his value to the team as a 4th choice striker compared to that wage, as well as the alternatives we could get.

That, in conjunction with him starting the Jackson rumour based on not getting a contract offer already, which was malicious.

Based on what he brings to the team only, I would have liked to keep him as 4th choice, but I can understand the situation. He will probably end up first choice for a mid table League One team - which is what we are at the moment, but not where we aspire to be.
  • edited May 2022
    And keeping Pearce would have been prudent. He is super fit for his age and still quick and in quite a few games last season he was arguably man of the match.

Strange choice that one..Inniss and Pearce could get into any team in this division and even a good few Championship sides.
    You on a wind up fella? Pearce looks like he runs through treacle and I imagine neither would get in many league1 sides, a good few championship? Forget about it. 

I can’t believe we’ve kept Innis, what a waste
  • paulfox said:
    If Swindon get promoted, I’d be surprised if Davison isn’t with them on a permanent next season, with a little cash in our coffers.
    Then he’d be a young striker who just scored 1 in 2 for the season in a promoted side.  That’s something we should be looking at.

Many of our fan base has written him off already, seems trigger happy to me.  
    He had that one absolute stinker, but otherwise he played ok last season.  To me, he looks like he's carrying too much muscle and had lost some mobility, but I think he will have a career in league one.  He impresses me more than Smith or Pigott did in their early careers and they have both done well, relative to their ability. 
  • And keeping Pearce would have been prudent. He is super fit for his age and still quick and in quite a few games last season he was arguably man of the match.

Strange choice that one..Inniss and Pearce could get into any team in this division and even a good few Championship sides.
    Pearce could get into some championship sides - now you’re just being silly! 

Now?