Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackson: Where does he go from here? (P6. AFC Wimbledon)

Comments

• Options
    A point behind Wrexham after 9 games, they'd have taken that at the start of the season.
  • Options
    So glad he spanked Adkins team

Get the feeling they weren’t best mates 
  • Options
    Jackson, Garner, Adkins, and Parkinson all in League 2. 
  • Options
    Just looked at the league table. Gillingham are the lowest goalscorers and have the best defensive record.

That can't have happened very often.
  • Options
    Just looked at the league table. Gillingham are the lowest goalscorers and have the best defensive record.

5 of their 6 wins have been 1-0 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    NabySarr said:

5 of their 6 wins have been 1-0 

Johnnie Jackson is an Arsenal supporter and he found the template from the 70's that Don Howe used 🧐
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Good result for Jacko 

I am gonna try and get a ticket for Wimbledon Vs Bradford cause of the Derby cancellation, should be a good game. 

• Options
    Good result for Jacko 

I am gonna try and get a ticket for Wimbledon Vs Bradford cause of the Derby cancellation, should be a good game. 

They'll not sell out, you'll be alright.
    Get a ticket in the home end as they have loads of food and drink kiosks, they have a good set up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good result for Jacko 

They'll not sell out, you'll be alright.
    Get a ticket in the home end as they have loads of food and drink kiosks, they have a good set up there.
    Nice one mate.

Should be a decent atmosphere as Wimbledon are having a decent season and I expect Bradford to bring a good following 
  • Options
    Jackson gets a mention in this interview with Conor Gallagher.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qrX2CxbOoQ
  • Options
    Let's be honest. JJ took over when we were shit and turned it round. Then we reverted to being a bit shit but were pretty safe even then. Now maybe the reason we were a bit shit was because the players weren't good enough. Sandgaard decided we were going to play a different style but wasn't going to back that change financially. Cloud cuckoo land stuff. It was a stupid approach but JJ got sacked because he was being pragmatic IMO. Of course he was still learning his trade  but before he took over many of us thought relegation was a real possibility. Wimbledon could have sacked him in the Summer but they have supported him and are reaping the rewards now and I am delighted for JJ. 
    I didn't see shoehorning players into a formation that had stopped working anyway as pragmatic.  It was naive.

Think I've said before though, I think our last 5, 6 managers (from Robinson onwards probably) are all alright league managers - Jackson included.  Don't think any of them were misunderstood geniuses who'll go on to manage n the Premier League etc, and don't think any were clueless/shite.  All probably would do OK under sensible owners putting some funds in, all struggled because we didn't have that.
  • Options
    Let's be honest. JJ took over when we were shit and turned it round. Then we reverted to being a bit shit but were pretty safe even then. Now maybe the reason we were a bit shit was because the players weren't good enough. Sandgaard decided we were going to play a different style but wasn't going to back that change financially. Cloud cuckoo land stuff. It was a stupid approach but JJ got sacked because he was being pragmatic IMO. Of course he was still learning his trade  but before he took over many of us thought relegation was a real possibility. Wimbledon could have sacked him in the Summer but they have supported him and are reaping the rewards now and I am delighted for JJ. 
    I didn't see shoehorning players into a formation that had stopped working anyway as pragmatic.  It was naive.

Think I've said before though, I think our last 5, 6 managers (from Robinson onwards probably) are all alright league managers - Jackson included.  Don't think any of them were misunderstood geniuses who'll go on to manage n the Premier League etc, and don't think any were clueless/shite.  All probably would do OK under sensible owners putting some funds in, all struggled because we didn't have that.
    Well I did. You can of course assume the alternatives with the same players would have worked much better. That is always the case with something that isn't tested to be fair. There is no right way to play apart from what suits what you have and what you are trying to achieve. That includes John Beck's long ball, under the right circumstances for a club that couldn't buy better players.
  • Options
    I'll never understand why we got rid and replaced him with Garner and his Swindon mates. Brainless and wasted 6 months 
    Garnerball = the emperors new clothes 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think you could probably include Slade in that as well.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I've consistently said he was an extremely intelligent footballer which should translate into an even better manager, I still think he'll come good and have a long and distinguished career as a manager, maybe not top of the premier league, but a good career none the less.

I also think with the right backing he'd have done a good job for us.
    At the time I thought he deserved a chance to build his own team, but in hindsight he wasn’t ready. He really struggled with Wimbledon last season but they stuck with him and he’s developed as a manager and they are now reaping the rewards. 

At this level our club and fans are not patient enough to have given him the time he needed to learn and develop on the job. If he even did half as badly as he did with Wimbledon here then he’d have been sacked well before the seasons end and it would have been toxic. 

I do hope he returns in the future, hopefully after he has a promotion under his belt with Wimbledon and I’m sure he will be a lot more ready then 
  • Options
    Jackson took time to turn things around, but at that level Wimbledon should be competitive, and I'm pleased for him.

Garner nearly getting Swindon promoted was a decent season, but hardly outstanding as Swindon are a big team in L2 that you'd expect to be near the top, and his team had a number of decent players for that level.
  • Options
    I'll never understand why we got rid and replaced him with Garner and his Swindon mates. Brainless and wasted 6 months 
    Totally agree and said it at the time. Another stupid decision in a steady stream of them in recent years. 
  • Options

Well I did. You can of course assume the alternatives with the same players would have worked much better. That is always the case with something that isn't tested to be fair. There is no right way to play apart from what suits what you have and what you are trying to achieve. That includes John Beck's long ball, under the right circumstances for a club that couldn't buy better players.
    One of the right ways to play is by using players where they can actually play. Jackson was slavishly, obsessively tied to that 352. It was decent at first when we were changing shape in and out of possession but then teams figured it out, Jackson couldn't lift it and it died and became flat. He made some absolutely criminal selection decisions; there was a match where he set up with a back 3 of Purrington, Pearce and Clare with Souare and DJ as wingbacks. That's not pragmatic, it's criminal. 
    We played that one shape the entire time even when we had players to set up differently and it was absolute agony to watch sometimes. At one point we went on a 7 match winless run where he changed absolutely nothing apart from my willingness to continue being alive. We got turned over at home by Lincoln with Purrington, Lavelle and Clare at CB with CBT at LWB and Matthews on the other side. There was just absolutely no need for it, it wasn't like we were trying to develop certain players in their roles, we just jammed random players into roles for no reason other than he was unable to alter his setup and looking back it was absolute madness. It didn't suit us and if we were trying to achieve success then we were very, very confused. I love Jackson and I'm glad he's doing well now but I have to say some of his matches in that set up were the least I ever enjoyed watching Charlton.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think you could probably include Slade in that as well.
    I wasn't patient enough to decide whether to include him.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I think he needed to go for both our sakes, but Garner was definitely the wrong replacement.
  • Options
    Up to 2nd! find myself checking their scores every week
  • Options
    The ITV highlights came from Plough Lane, with their game the lead one. Jacko was perhaps slightly unlucky to come up against a team with caretaker manager bounce!