Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackson: Where does he go from here? (P6. AFC Wimbledon)

Comments

• Options
    Glad it looks like JJ will get next season but I think it’s definitely sink or swim for him next term. 
  • Options
    He's had a real baptism of fire, hasn't he, us and then AFC Wimbledon?

Working with, I imagine, little resources in both situations and potentially doomed to failure regardless how good or not he may be? Perhaps next season will be his defining season and whether he's a good manager or not!
  • Options

Working with, I imagine, little resources in both situations and potentially doomed to failure regardless how good or not he may be? Perhaps next season will be his defining season and whether he's a good manager or not!
    But then most teams in L2 have few resources, it's not as the division is full of moneybags clubs. And they did pay a fee for Josh Davison for example.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

But then most teams in L2 have few resources, it's not as the division is full of moneybags clubs. And they did pay a fee for Josh Davison for example.
    Agree.

Well then, they may have been done there;)
  • Options
    I think Charlton as a club should try and help out JJ all we can as a thank you for all he did for us.

So let's offer to loan Wimbledon Kirk, Lavelle and Jayesimi next season for a cheap rate. In fact, thinking about it, let's just give them Jayesimi .
  • Options
    Can't see him being there next season...
  • Options
    Finished 4th bottom. In 2023, played 23, with just 2 wins. The season was a similar trend to when he was managing us. You'd have to say he's very lucky the wombles board are going to stick with him.
  • Options
    no comment, or i get pelters :)
  • Options
    Finished 4th bottom. In 2023, played 23, with just 2 wins. The season was a similar trend to when he was managing us. You'd have to say he's very lucky the wombles board are going to stick with him.
    That’s 2 more wins than Wimbledon got in the second half of last season. They keep ruining themselves with poor January windows 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    That’s 2 more wins than Wimbledon got in the second half of last season. They keep ruining themselves with poor January windows 
    Wimbledon are incredibly fragile mentally. Once they get on a bad run, they can't seem to get out of it. A tough situation, but I'm sure other managers would have got more points in the second half of the season than Jacko achieved, sadly.
    We had a similar story under Jackson. On a good streak we'd look decent and match just about anyone but one bad result almost always became 3 or four in a row at least too.

I'm not sure why this is such an issue for Johnny but its definitely going to hold him back compared to (for instance) Holden who has proven he can get a gritty, ugly win or draw to stop that kind of poor run even if the football is not the prettiest.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Two wins and 13 points in 2023 for a relegated team. They're not a huge club, but they draw around 7k in League Two, which isn't bad. I have to imagine their expectations were higher going into the season.

If nothing else, this should settle the debate of whether or not Jacko should have been given another season with us. I feel like last year showed he wasn't ready, and this year only further proves it. He's a lovely guy, but I don't think he's good enough tactically at this stage of his managerial career. If this job doesn't work out, he might have to go back to being a #2 before he gets another job in management. 
    They had the 5th highest average crowd in league two.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Johnnie Jackson took over when Charlton were 22nd and going as high as 10th and  finished 13th after the squad had peaked and new players weren't fit. So he didn't fail at Cafc with the squad he had available. 
    Don't see a similar trend at Wimbledon ? In fact the opposite where they were mid table and dropped close to the trap door.

I'm personally surprised that JJ didn't have a better season and he will have to hope he given another chance to redeem himself in the cut throat world of football.

50/50 if he's still at Wimbledon at the start of the 23/24 season. 

I wish him well because he may have to drop down another division if he gets the sack.
  • Options
    Unbeaten after four games and up to third in League 2.
    How is Garner doing?
  • Options
    How is Garner doing?
    To be fair Colchester lost today against an MK Dons team containing some fine players, maybe ones we should be looking at.

MacGillivray, Gilbey, Leko, with Harness on the bench...
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    How is Garner doing?
    To be fair Colchester lost today against an MK Dons team containing some fine players, maybe ones we should be looking at.

Gilbey scored 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Playing a 4-4-2. And the 2 games they drew they missed penalties in both so they could even have been top of the league 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    ross1 said:
    How is Garner doing?

Gilbey scored 

Gilbey scored a fine goal when he bursts through the middle.
    Oh sorry, I only suppose to say shit when his name is mentioned.
  • Options
    Do we have a buy back clause?
  • Options
    Sutton to Wimbledon is 5 miles so winning a local Derby away from home 3-0 is impressive.
    Jackson has garnered more experience since taking Cafc from a relegation position to Mid table in League 1 and having a poor 2nd half of 22/2
    4-4-2 makes sense in League 2 as 3-5-2 is dependant on having wing backs of quality and I would think that is rare in League 2.

Will always be a fan of JJ and hope he has the players to have a decent season.
    I see what you did there

Thanks 👍
    I couldn't shoehorn Adkins in !