Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• what about Sutton united`s manager. would come on the cheap I would guess.
  • Leuth said:
    PWADDICK said:

Found the odds
    Oh god!! - I know I'd want Warburton, and it probably isnt, but that list almost feels like the League One version of: Pulis | Hughes | Pardew | Hodgson | Allardyce
    Ferguson and Warburton is a good start and Keane would be bantz but the rest, urgh. If we appoint Lee Johnson I'm going to investigate unbuying my season ticket
    No thanks to Ferguson, want someone with longevity, not someone just to get us out of League One

His record in the Championship is abysmal
  • Leuth said:
    PWADDICK said:

Found the odds
    Oh god!! - I know I'd want Warburton, and it probably isnt, but that list almost feels like the League One version of: Pulis | Hughes | Pardew | Hodgson | Allardyce
    Ferguson and Warburton is a good start and Keane would be bantz but the rest, urgh. If we appoint Lee Johnson I'm going to investigate unbuying my season ticket
    No thanks to Ferguson, want someone with longevity, not someone just to get us out of League One

His record in the Championship is abysmal
    That's fair. Beale/Duff/some other young coach/manager would as everyone's said be ideal
  • Darren Ferguson 4/1
    Mark Warburton 5/1
    Lee Johnson 6/1 (please no)
    Roy Keane 8/1
    Neil Harris 8/1
    Michael Appleton 8/1
    Lee Bowyer 12/1
    Michael Beale 12/1
    Michael Duff 14/1
    John Eustace 14/1
    Rob Page 16/1
    Sean Dyche 16/1
    Mark Bonner 16/1
    Michael Carrick 20/1
    David Unsworth 20/1
    25/1 everyone else

• msomerton said:
    what about Sutton united`s manager. would come on the cheap I would guess.
    Matt Gray was mentioned when Adkins went, not sure it's an upgrade though? 
  • Leuth said:
    PWADDICK said:

Found the odds
    what if, during the unveiling of Johnson as our new manager, he publicly said that gilbey would be sent to train with the u-23's for the season?
  • Sponsored links:

• There are some good, progressive young managers around, like Duff, Bonner and Matt Taylor, but who knows.

I do, however, think we'll have someone in place within a week. Given the way these things work, it's very likely that potential candidates have been informally sounded out and that a shortlist already exists.
  • “Obviously the coach is very important. If we can find someone that is a really good coach and can help drive more intensity into the training and drive the right mentality into the players – and a playing style that might not be as stiff , a bit more fluid than what we have right now; maybe be better how we press and formation flexibility etc.

“We need someone who is a good man-manager and good at keeping the dressing room under control, which was not Johnnie’s problem at all.

• edited May 2022

Asked if he would appoint a head coach or manager next time, Sandgaard said: “Obviously the coach is very important. If we can find someone that is a really good coach and can help drive more intensity into the training and drive the right mentality into the players – and a playing style that might not be as stiff , a bit more fluid than what we have right now; maybe be better how we press and formation flexibility etc.

“We need someone who is a good man-manager and good at keeping the dressing room under control, which was not Johnnie’s problem at all.

“Some people are good coaches and some people are good managers. Ideally we find a combination of people or one person who can give us all those qualities.”

First paragraph seems like a very succinct way of explaining why Jackson got the boot. 

• Jon Bon Jovi is 16 to 1 on Betfair. 

Living on a prey mate. 
  • the players need to be held responsible aswell that defence on saturday was a shambles and should never play professional football again. 
  • Ted Lasso.
  • I think I need a lie down having read these quotes. Whatever anyone thinks of JJ as manager, this is absolute tosh.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-claims-johnnie-jacksons-departure-will-not-affect-charltons-recruitment-plans/
    And as for the article talking about us having a greater probability of promotion if we played a high press... dearie me... how many players have we got with the tactical understanding, spatial awareness, speed or stamina to play a high press from the front.

This is just trotting out footballing clichés and trend language without actually thinking through any practical detail. No manager is going to come in and convert us into a high press side without making more than 10 new signings. It's so easy to say this stuff.

Agreed almost like someone has played Football Manager and wants a go for real. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Suspect he will end up at Blackburn, but would love Daniel Farke.
  • I think I need a lie down having read these quotes. Whatever anyone thinks of JJ as manager, this is absolute tosh.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-claims-johnnie-jacksons-departure-will-not-affect-charltons-recruitment-plans/
    And as for the article talking about us having a greater probability of promotion if we played a high press... dearie me... how many players have we got with the tactical understanding, spatial awareness, speed or stamina to play a high press from the front.

This is just trotting out footballing clichés and trend language without actually thinking through any practical detail. No manager is going to come in and convert us into a high press side without making more than 10 new signings. It's so easy to say this stuff.
    Safe to say he is not happy with the fitness stats or the injuries we get.  This has been a problem for a long time.

I'd say I am disappointed Jacko is gone but not hugely surprised - Saturday was dire and he looked a bit like a dead man walking.  Contrast with Ipswich - when we played them at the Valley they were dreadful.  Poor body language and crap performance.  They were a completely different team this time around and from talking to some of their hierarchy they are absolutely delighted with their new gaffer.  The love his style of play, his personality, his methods.  Everything.  

Sometimes you need to take a few steps backwards to progress and it seems we need to make a number of appointments and start afresh

• Beale all day for me. Hopefully. But I can see Thomas doing something slightly left field. 
  • It's easy running a football club so I think the arrogant one will put his son in charge, after all he is heading up everything else.