Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ron Dangerfield appointed club secretary

Comments

• Options
    Welcome Ron.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I bet he gets blamed for something totally outside his remit by the 1st of July. 

Of course he will, he isn't pwoper Charlton yet.  Then he might one day be and never to be blamed for anything at all. 
    Any player resigned we think is dead wood or any new player we don't like the sound of for sure. It makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Great name - welcome Ron.

Sue might have competition for the vol-au-vents...
  • Options
    Didn’t we have a David Dangerfield sign for us in the 70’s under Theo Foley?
  • Options
    I think its fine to have a positive / negative view on appointments where the role has an element of decision making / influence on strategy for the club. People rightly have a view on Keohane because people hear about / see / experience the impact of his decision making on the club and its employees. Likewise with Peter Varney. Both were / are able to influence the direction of the football club, whether on or off the pitch. 

As I understand it, the role of club secretary is operational and functional. The only criteria for judgement should be competence...

Welcome Ron. 
    And whether he eats vol-au-vents.  
    Or pizza on Fridays.
  • Options
    Great name - welcome Ron.

Sue might have competition for the vol-au-vents...
    What makes you say that?
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    Didn’t we have a David Dangerfield sign for us in the 70’s under Theo Foley?
    June 1973 from Swindon Town. No first team games and ended up at Cheltenham Town where he was their player of the year in 1979
  • Options
    I think my son knew his son

Welcome aboard Rodney, enjoy the ride…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Danger by name danger by job title...
  • Options
    Let’s face it ask most fans of most clubs who the Club Secretary was and they wouldn’t have a scooby. Chris Parkes is known by many due to his longevity of service and the infamy of his wife. On a day to day basis who is Club Secretary is of no consequence to most of us and we’d only really hear of him if he cocks up ie we are playing at Sunderland and he books a hotel for the team in Southend.
    So you're saying he once booked his club into a hotel 300 miles from the game? Flipping eck, where do we find these people!!? He's dead to me already.
  • Options
    Can I be the first to say "Dangerfield Out!"
  • Options
    I wonder when preseason friendlies will get announced?
  • Options
    I reckon Sandgaard will send us over to Denmark.
  • Options
    Probably Brentford at home.
  • Options
    Slightly surprising we've appointed someone who hasn't been in an EFL club since 2016. He's been a club secretary, but at a pretty low level

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ron-dangerfield-928b1455/details/experience/
    I made the comment when the role was advertised that the Salary didn't to me represent the role and responsibilities, that said, good luck to him, what was Chris Parkes experience before Charlton?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    Slightly surprising we've appointed someone who hasn't been in an EFL club since 2016. He's been a club secretary, but at a pretty low level

I made the comment when the role was advertised that the Salary didn't to me represent the role and responsibilities, that said, good luck to him, what was Chris Parkes experience before Charlton?
    Bank manager.

My question would be to whom does the new club secretary report, and to whom should he report? Should be the chief executive IMO. Always was in the past.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Bank manager.

My question would be to whom does the new club secretary report, and to whom should he report? Should be the chief executive IMO. Always was in the past.
    Imagine the outcry now if we employed some guy from the local HSBC.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    As long as he manages to get crossbars open at 12, he will do for me. Welcome Ron.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Bank manager.

Only thing that is slightly differnt is when Chris Parkes left his job to join Charlton it was as Company Secretary, the club Secretary role was with Anne Payne. He took that on alongside Company Secretary in 1990, and then became just club Secretary in 1998 (as well as doing other roles as well until we got promotion)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Bank manager.

This is the norm in my experience.
  • Options
    The first step towards European football. Welcome Ron. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Bank manager.

Only thing that is slightly differnt is when Chris Parkes left his job to join Charlton it was as Company Secretary, the club Secretary role was with Anne Payne. He took that on alongside Company Secretary in 1990, and then became just club Secretary in 1998 (as well as doing other roles as well until we got promotion)
    Agreed. Jobs like the Company Secretary are standard corporate regulatory positions, and don't require football experience which he picked up working for us, as his role developed.
  • Options
    I can’t see Ron sitting on Thomas’s lap and taking dictation?  ;)