Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sorry but Jackson has to go.

Comments

• edited April 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Gribbo said:
    Questioning Gallen's involvement in the whole set up seems to be another taboo in some quarters. 

Whenever the recruitment issue is brought up, the attention seems to be focused on either TS or MS, now Roddy has gone, which is a bit strange seeing as that is essentially Gallens role. 

If it is down to TS getting involved and overruling Gallen (as I pretty sure some have suggested) why is Gallen still at the Club, considering his supposed reputation in the game?

TS dose not get involved with the recruitment that is solely down to SG and his team and JJ and his team .. of course TS has to sign it off and make sure financially it’s a good deal … but no he does not chose the players or speaks to them or there agents that is something down to SG .. who TS described the best in the business 

Still ignoring what he said himself at the Q&A I see. 

Man, who to believe about Thomas Sandgaard's involvement in transfers, Thomas Sandgaard or Mr 4th trolling account?!? 

That's a toughie.
    I know the answer to this, it's Thomas Jefferson isn't it? 

Is that the editor of the Plymouth Herald?
  • Scoham said:
    I think TS caused the recruitment issues so the question may be how much he has learnt from that.
    And what do you believe the main issues were? We know we're not the highest paying club when it comes to agents, especially for our relative size in this league.
    Naivety about the market and belief he could buck it. One thing I was told early on was that the big PL clubs would not loan to Charlton because of TS not wanting to contribute enough.
    We got Maatsen, Smith, Levitt and Millar last season all in the first six months Thomas owned us.  

Do you mean early on last summer? 
  • edited April 2022
    It's the players fault now. 

Next it'll be the recruitment team. 

Then it'll be Sandgaard. 

Then it'll be the coaches Jackson has to work with. 

Then it'll be the referees. 

Then it'll be the EFL for their squad cap rules. 

Some people will never admit that Jackson doesn't really look that good at this management stuff. 

When Johnnie Jackson took over for the Sunderland away game in the 14th game of the season and we were 22nd the squad looked devoid of energy, skill and motivation. Burdened with great expectations from Thomas Sandgaard, the reality was we were bang average. I have been critical of Nigel Adkins but he was frustrated with the late summer window and not having a full squad to work with until after the season started and Inniss was still unfit and kept coming off.

Johnnie over achieved at first and many fans/critics then spoke about the play-offs which with our erratic and injury prone squad looked a pipe dream to me. 

Some superb wins under JJ against Sunderland and Rotherham away and Ipswich, Cambridge and Plymouth at home without conceding a goal but Conor Washington summed up Charlton when he can score some cracking goals but as the home game against Lincoln showed can miss 4 golden chances.

Fraser looked a good buy but no where near the player we saw at the valley with MK Dons so far. 

Vital for Jackson to see if he can move on players in the summer and make sure that Sandgaard give a wage increase to both Dobson and Blackett-Taylor because along with Stockley, Lavelle, JFC, and Fraser when match fit, and possibly Clare, the rest we thank and try to find better or else we are stuck in beating the best one week and losing to journeymen League 1 clubs the next.

Johnnie Jackson deserves to have a summer where he has a much bigger say in transfers than Nigel had. 

Formations are so fluid now but I personally believe CBT should be used to slaughter defenders not waste energy as a wing back.

I see Dobson being used as a more attacking midfielder next season; Signs of it against Morecambe.

JJ has until October to prove he can win over the long suffering fans and critics of the cursed Charlton Athletic.
  • edited April 2022
    Dobson will always be a holding midfielder but that doesn't stop him attacking in games where opponents are sitting back or on odd occasions generally. JJs formation allows for a more attacking wing back with extra defensive cover behind them. You do have a pay off but if we score more than opponents and push them back, it will probably increase the number of games we win.
  • edited April 2022
    My point about George Dobson is anyone who watched the game against Morecambe saw it was George who got into the box on two occasions with skill and good movement and may still evolve into more than the holding midfielder. 

He May stay as the holding midfielder but nothing is set in stone with the fluid way of playing now. Covered every blade of grass on Saturday and I hope we can keep him for next season ? 

The coaches are going for the all action midfielders as we have seen with Declan Rice at the top level where he has evolved from a holding midfielder to the box to box midfielder we now see for West Ham and England.
    At League 1 level you have to accept the lower quality but I see George becoming a box to box midfielder at Cafc or somewhere else. His confidence is so much higher now manager and fans/ critics believe in him and he is the first pick.

• edited April 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    I think TS caused the recruitment issues so the question may be how much he has learnt from that.
    And what do you believe the main issues were? We know we're not the highest paying club when it comes to agents, especially for our relative size in this league.
    Naivety about the market and belief he could buck it. One thing I was told early on was that the big PL clubs would not loan to Charlton because of TS not wanting to contribute enough.
    We got Maatsen, Smith, Levitt and Millar last season all in the first six months Thomas owned us.  

I mean there was a consensus last summer that they would not be loaning to us and it was financially based. That turned out to be the case. The only PL player we did get on loan was Famewo, who had been here before and whom we tried to buy.

We signed Castillo in January as part of the Aneke deal (neither Birmingham nor Chelsea wanted him) and Burstow is an oddity, so the only one we did get in the end was Nile John. I’m not sure his experience will help this summer either.
  • edited April 2022
    I agree the Burstow transfer is an oddity but when you consider that Chelsea have *23 players out on loan then don't be surprised that under Abramovich they would buy a young player who has a 100/1 chance of playing for their 1st team. Danny Drinkwater is still a Chelsea player at Reading and they basically bought him to weaken Leicester just like they bought Ross Barkley to weaken Everton. I know I need to move on but the history books will tell you they bought Scott Parker to weaken Charlton. 

*It was double this figure a couple of years ago but they did move quite a few on.
  • The Sandgaard discussion is interesting. I don’t think for one minute his Charlton heart isn’t in the right place. It’s also worth remembering that when he bought us that the heart, guts and soul had been ripped out of the club over a period of years. There was no management structure of note in place and the club was functioning week to week and desperate. There was no CEO in situ and not too much to build on. TS should have made appointing a CEO his number one priority but his naivety and perhaps enthusiasm got the better of him. We’re now still if not rudderless certainly not 100% focused on direction. The appointments behind the scenes of Roddy and Mumford have been mixed and in the short time TS has owned the club he’s had three managers. It seems to me not much is stable and that’s what’s needed. Stability, front and back of house. I don’t see either happening quickly enough to give me encouragement for next season. We really need a hands on CEO to get things right. TS lacks the football nous and he can’t do that job from Colorado. Give Jackson support this summer and a run at next season but should that fail and he’s replaced I’d take surgery to more than just JJ and put in place a total revamp of the club’s management structures. I think another season of disappointing results might be needed to convince Thomas.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I mean there was a consensus last summer that they would not be loaning to us and it was financially based. That turned out to be the case. The only PL player we did get on loan was Famewo, who had been here before and whom we tried to buy.

We signed Castillo in January as part of the Aneke deal (neither Birmingham nor Chelsea wanted him) and Burstow is an oddity, so the only one we did get in the end was Nile John. I’m not sure his experience will help this summer either.
    Which means we’ll probably end up with more players like Elliott Lee in on loan.  Fringe championship players.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I find it hard to criticise TS for at least trying to buck the trend and stop the big PL teams from exploiting the football pyramid. 

Just because those before him may have failed doesn’t mean he shouldn’t try. 

He may of course have to concede a little now but trying to change things isn’t a bad thing necessarily. 

Very easy to say he was pushing up hill / chasing something he couldn’t achieve when it’s not our money. 

As ever the next move is what’s important. 

• Challinor does have a good record but they've got an owner who's spent big in an attempt to get out of non league. They signed players like Paddy Madden from league one Fleetwood, Sarcevic signed from Bolton.

Pretty sure it was the same at Fylde, their owner spent big and they shot up through the leagues like Salford did.
    I’ve seen that, but even so to be such a consistent side means he knows how to play his teams. I think he’s a manager that will be in demand, assuming Stockport go up 
    LTKapal said:

Extremely good win percentages, feel like our next manager has to be a manager who isn’t a a has been (Adkins/Slade) or a player affiliated with Charlton. We need a manager who is a bit more savvy and has earned his trade in the lower leagues and ready to step up. Chris Wilder and Steve Evans (to some extent) come to mind. 

Anything but Evans 
    I am not suggesting Evans for even a second, just rather saying his excellent work at non league got him a gig at professional level 
    Of course, don't get me wrong Challinor still needs to go out and get his side performing, just that when the side he's managing are basically the Man City of non-league the record is perhaps not as good as it looks on paper.

But having said that he did also get Hartlepool promoted last season, so clearly the guy knows what he's doing.
  • To be fair, we went up with our record points tally whilst owned by a couple of Spivs. Support Jacko and Sandgaard can see success on the pitch.
  • edited April 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Questioning Gallen's involvement in the whole set up seems to be another taboo in some quarters. 

Whenever the recruitment issue is brought up, the attention seems to be focused on either TS or MS, now Roddy has gone, which is a bit strange seeing as that is essentially Gallens role. 

If it is down to TS getting involved and overruling Gallen (as I pretty sure some have suggested) why is Gallen still at the Club, considering his supposed reputation in the game?

TS dose not get involved with the recruitment that is solely down to SG and his team and JJ and his team .. of course TS has to sign it off and make sure financially it’s a good deal … but no he does not chose the players or speaks to them or there agents that is something down to SG .. who TS described the best in the business 

TS is nowhere near qualified to make that assertion.  If he (SG) was anywhere near the best in the business he wouldn't be at a perpetually failing 3rd division club.  He's brought in some utter dross and some real failures.

Sandgaard does not know enough about English football/ football to make such a judgement anyhow.  Just more empty bluster based on hope/ optimism than any factual basis. 

SG is nowhere near the best in the business. 
    He has had to operate under severe restraints….and at critical moments when time wise we missed the boat, thus reducing the amount of time he had to operate in.
    I wouldn’t know if he’s the best in the business, indeed who can say who is but he’s certainly well thought of and has some great connections.
    Last time round I think Thomas wasn’t too happy with some of the financial deals being asked for by some Premiership clubs for loan players, yet another restraint he had to endure.
    Thomas makes a good point there but he simply has to bite the bullet and come up with the money or yet again he will tie the hands of Gallen in enabling him to come up with the goods.
    Kirk was a huge let down for Gallens reputation. I have no idea why he signed for us, he wasn’t that keen to begin with and he’s not exactly setting the world alight at Blackpool either.
    A bit of a strange young man if you ask me, who was very nervous about living in the London area and aired one or two ridiculous misapprehensions regarding doing so.
  • Scoham said:
    Good for Thomas. You don’t need premier league youths to get out of this league and I respect him for standing firm on contributions if that is the case. 

If we are gonna develop their players with competitive football why should we be putting up significant wages. Football pyramid scheme is shite atm and he should be applauded for that stance, providing he strengthens us with our own contracted players who are competitive enough 
  • Scoham said:
    Good for Thomas. You don’t need premier league youths to get out of this league and I respect him for standing firm on contributions if that is the case. 

If we are gonna develop their players with competitive football why should we be putting up significant wages. Football pyramid scheme is shite atm and he should be applauded for that stance, providing he strengthens us with our own contracted players who are competitive enough 
    Mmmmm……there comes a time when you simply have to shit or get off the pot.
    A loan Premiership youngster or two can make one hell of a difference though.
  • I am still pro Jackson.

I think that the alternatives would be, overall, expensive for any actual benefit and that spend could be better spent on improving the squad. Whilst JJ is comparatively inexperienced, he inherited a squad that was not one that was built and set up for his current tactical system. The glimpses that this squad has shown (and it's a hugely underperforming one, which I do blame the players more than the management) against the better sides in this division, I think, that it would serve us better going forward. JJ has also shown he can motivate players to play for the shirt, and with some astute signings, we can start pushing on with this system.

Most of this squad went from the LB diamond to w/e NA tried to the JJ 5-3-2. Many of them are not very football smart. They don't, for example, cover the space behind CB-T when he pushes forward. They don't defend the edge of the box well at all. They don't tackle nearly enough when teams run at them, aside from Dobson. Some of this can be trained, but a lot of this is just weak footballing brains of certain players. JJ deserves a summer of getting a number of players in to play the way he wants. The sporadic results make me doubt it when I am sat there when we are 0-2 at home against relegation-threatened, f***ing Morecambe, but when you sit and think about it, we got schooled by arguably one of the best strikers in the league and punished by some more clinical finishing. Mistakes and defensive stability has been a problem all season - again, I think this is more the players than the management, particularly in the last few months when there are several players out there who simply don't care. You can't train a dog who has no desire to learn.

JJ has done enough to earn a summer and money to spend. Replacing him now/soon would be incredibly reckless. This season has been a write-off, albeit for the mild positives of Dobson and CB-T. We won't have the rebuild of yesteryear, but a few key signings could turn the ship. It's all about next season now and setting us up for success. If JJ has a poor first 10 games next season, then we're arguably in the same boat as now, but he is deserving of a chance. He bleeds Charlton, and that goes a hell of a long way for me.

Absolutely no guarantee that we bring in another manager that all our problems are solved. The core of our issues lie in the squad. Have a little faith.
  • th0rryy said:
    I am still pro Jackson.

I think that the alternatives would be, overall, expensive for any actual benefit and that spend could be better spent on improving the squad. Whilst JJ is comparatively inexperienced, he inherited a squad that was not one that was built and set up for his current tactical system. The glimpses that this squad has shown (and it's a hugely underperforming one, which I do blame the players more than the management) against the better sides in this division, I think, that it would serve us better going forward. JJ has also shown he can motivate players to play for the shirt, and with some astute signings, we can start pushing on with this system.

Most of this squad went from the LB diamond to w/e NA tried to the JJ 5-3-2. Many of them are not very football smart. They don't, for example, cover the space behind CB-T when he pushes forward. They don't defend the edge of the box well at all. They don't tackle nearly enough when teams run at them, aside from Dobson. Some of this can be trained, but a lot of this is just weak footballing brains of certain players. JJ deserves a summer of getting a number of players in to play the way he wants. The sporadic results make me doubt it when I am sat there when we are 0-2 at home against relegation-threatened, f***ing Morecambe, but when you sit and think about it, we got schooled by arguably one of the best strikers in the league and punished by some more clinical finishing. Mistakes and defensive stability has been a problem all season - again, I think this is more the players than the management, particularly in the last few months when there are several players out there who simply don't care. You can't train a dog who has no desire to learn.

JJ has done enough to earn a summer and money to spend. Replacing him now/soon would be incredibly reckless. This season has been a write-off, albeit for the mild positives of Dobson and CB-T. We won't have the rebuild of yesteryear, but a few key signings could turn the ship. It's all about next season now and setting us up for success. If JJ has a poor first 10 games next season, then we're arguably in the same boat as now, but he is deserving of a chance. He bleeds Charlton, and that goes a hell of a long way for me.

Absolutely no guarantee that we bring in another manager that all our problems are solved. The core of our issues lie in the squad. Have a little faith.
    Having faith and Charlton are two things that got divorced some time ago. 
  • Alexa, play The Sound of Silence for ShootersHillGuru.

I jest. I know this is an awful, dead rubber end of the season, but sacking the manager won't help, imho. He's young and he's learning, but he is wholly one of us who wants success as much as we all do (if not more).

If we have a crap start to next season, yes, that's the time to discuss. But there is a lot of dead wood to clear in this squad and some results show glimpses of good stuff. Alternatively, we can bring in some other no name, sidegrade manager who doesn't really care and take funds away from the squad.
  • th0rryy said:
    I am still pro Jackson.

You say he inherited a squad that don't fit his system, then surly you play a system that fits the players you have, that's not rocket science 

I would love to know what players he's motivated as I don't see any off that on the pitch !!!

And everything you have put in that second paragraph is down to training and the management, you can except the odd mistake but when there happening week in week out something isn't right, most goals against us come from down the wings like you stated, then surly you train to stop that or atleast revert to a formation that stops that, but not us we carry on playing it letting every team we play straight the way through us. 

Yeah Jackson is charlton I understand that, but he just isn't cut out to be a manager and there is alot better out there, that if we funded properly we could go far with !!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• There just isn’t a structure there for JJ to succeed and TS doesn’t have as big pockets as he made out! 
    Spend money = gets fans in = promotion !
    not dishing tickets out in Asda or wherever 
  • FAVADDICK said:
    th0rryy said:
    I am still pro Jackson.

You say he inherited a squad that don't fit his system, then surly you play a system that fits the players you have, that's not rocket science 

I would love to know what players he's motivated as I don't see any off that on the pitch !!!

And everything you have put in that second paragraph is down to training and the management, you can except the odd mistake but when there happening week in week out something isn't right, most goals against us come from down the wings like you stated, then surly you train to stop that or atleast revert to a formation that stops that, but not us we carry on playing it letting every team we play straight the way through us. 

Yeah Jackson is charlton I understand that, but he just isn't cut out to be a manager and there is alot better out there, that if we funded properly we could go far with !!!!
    Far too early to write him off as a manager. Some said the same about Powell but we kept him on and won the league. Not saying Jackson will do the same or that TS will support him as much as he needs to, but Jackson shouldn’t be written off. He’s managing a squad that isn’t good enough to be promoted, we need a fairly big rebuild in the summer.
  • Scoham said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    th0rryy said:
    I am still pro Jackson.

Far too early to write him off as a manager. Some said the same about Powell but we kept him on and won the league. Not saying Jackson will do the same or that TS will support him as much as he needs to, but Jackson shouldn’t be written off. He’s managing a squad that isn’t good enough to be promoted, we need a fairly big rebuild in the summer.
    The 64k dollar question is , does the owner agree and will he deliver?
  • TS himself said 2-5 permanent and 5 or 6 loans so that’s a minimum of 7 signings. It’s enough to make a big difference in results even if we’d like to hear something more ambitious.
  • As much as we'd all (myself included) like a full refit of the squad, I think the likelihood of this remains very low. Not just for the very obvious financial reasons, but because of the desire of other "big" clubs to sign the decent players we'd want and influence of agents etc. Whilst we're in the same situation as we once were, the landscape of L1 is arguably more competitive and we're not the same pull we were. Is it possible to pull diamonds from the rough? Sure, but I'd say that more and more teams are going to be looking at those players, with improved scouting and a data-orientated approach to finding those of players. Likely result is 4-5 new signings of varying value, and some improved loans.

TS needs to back JJ now, for the summer and for the first 10 games AT LEAST of next season *OR* bin him now/end of the season and get someone else in who he perceives as better. I don't think better exists without a cost of at least getting an extra player or two in the summer.
  • edited April 2022
    The Sandgaard discussion is interesting. I don’t think for one minute his Charlton heart isn’t in the right place. It’s also worth remembering that when he bought us that the heart, guts and soul had been ripped out of the club over a period of years. There was no management structure of note in place and the club was functioning week to week and desperate. There was no CEO in situ and not too much to build on. TS should have made appointing a CEO his number one priority but his naivety and perhaps enthusiasm got the better of him. We’re now still if not rudderless certainly not 100% focused on direction. The appointments behind the scenes of Roddy and Mumford have been mixed and in the short time TS has owned the club he’s had three managers. It seems to me not much is stable and that’s what’s needed. Stability, front and back of house. I don’t see either happening quickly enough to give me encouragement for next season. We really need a hands on CEO to get things right. TS lacks the football nous and he can’t do that job from Colorado. Give Jackson support this summer and a run at next season but should that fail and he’s replaced I’d take surgery to more than just JJ and put in place a total revamp of the club’s management structures. I think another season of disappointing results might be needed to convince Thomas.
    Some valid points here, Shooters.
    But if TS had appointed a CEO on Day 1, who would he have gone to for advice?
    Roddy seemed to have fingers in many Charlton pies at the start of Sandguaard's reign, but the wheels of Roddy's empire seem to have fallen off, with GR now relegated to a relatively minor role.
    If TS had sought advice from the wrong person in appointing a CEO, we could have had another member of staff on the 'clear out' list. And be in the same or a worse position as we are now.
    Sandgaard clearly needs advice from football people to succeed, but has to chose very carefully who he can trust to provide that advice. Which may provide one reason why is son is involved.
    With the skakes gaining in height, Sandgaard is not in a very enviable position, imo.

• Scoham said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    th0rryy said:
    I am still pro Jackson.

Do you trust him with a big rebuild, going on the January transfer window, who's going to trust him with any loans the way the 2 have been treated, and thats where we rely on most, all we're going to get is dead wood nobody else wants !!!
  • FAVADDICK said:
    Scoham said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    th0rryy said:
    I am still pro Jackson.

Do you trust him with a big rebuild, going on the January transfer window, who's going to trust him with any loans the way the 2 have been treated, and thats where we rely on most, all we're going to get is dead wood nobody else wants !!!
    I can see us improving the squad but I’m hoping it’ll be enough to win promotion rather than expecting it to. 
  • Any possible new manager will demand a guaranteed football budget that they think is adequate . Any one who takes the job otherwise is a desperate no hoper.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!