Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sorry but Jackson has to go.

Comments

• Scoham said:
    The club is badly run at present and you would need an exceptional manager to move us forward - JJ isn't but he's literally just starting out.

Hard to see much difference next season.
    I can see us improving, more a question of whether it’ll be enough. The budget won’t be the biggest but it’ll be bigger than the majority in this league. With that in place it shouldn’t be that difficult to build a squad capable of more than mid table. Might even be boosted if Gomez or Pope are sold.
    We are way off the top half of the table and miles off top six. It’s the poorest Charlton side I’ve ever seen and likely to be our worst post-war finish. Look at the teams around us in the bottom half and look at the gap between bottom half and top half.  Most at our end of the table will be looking to consolidate in league one and I think that’s all we can expect.  In the season ticket brochure Sandgaard talks about ‘increasing the probability’ of promotion.  Yes he’s managing expectations after his ludicrous blowing the league away comments, but it’s not much of an ambition.  There’s  loads wrong off the pitch, but I’m sure it’s not having as much impact as dogmatically sticking to a system that isn’t working. We’ve been found out in this league, everyone knows how to play us. They know that that if plan A isn’t working, we only have plan A as a back up. 

Agree we’re miles off but that can be made up in a single transfer window with good recruitment. Not saying we will but the gap between the top 6 and mid table is much smaller than it is in the Prem and Championship. We should expect more to be possible even if we don’t have confidence in TS and JJ being able to pull it off. 

While this is a very poor side it’s no worse than our 10/11 and 16/17 teams who both finished 13th.

On TS talking about improving chances I don’t believe that’s anything to do with managing expectations, it’s more that he sees things in an analytical way. Improve each area you can impact and it increases your chances of promotion.

I’d like to see him be more flexible but I’m open to the possibility of that happening if we have a stronger squad with a bench featuring players who can really impact a game. Currently Aneke is the only player who really does that.
  • Scoham said:
    The club is badly run at present and you would need an exceptional manager to move us forward - JJ isn't but he's literally just starting out.

I can see us improving, more a question of whether it’ll be enough. The budget won’t be the biggest but it’ll be bigger than the majority in this league. With that in place it shouldn’t be that difficult to build a squad capable of more than mid table. Might even be boosted if Gomez or Pope are sold.
    If you don't spend the budget wisely it doesn't matter how big it is.
    Of course but I expect some lessons to be learnt from the last couple of seasons.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

If you don't spend the budget wisely it doesn't matter how big it is.
    Of course but I expect some lessons to be learnt from the last couple of seasons.
    Sadly... I do not. 
  • I think TS caused the recruitment issues so the question may be how much he has learnt from that.
     Worrying thing is, Gallen spoke so highly about the signings we made this term. Didn't sound like he had his arm twisted to me.
  • I think TS caused the recruitment issues so the question may be how much he has learnt from that.

TS ... learn?

I think you'll find that it's the rest of us who need to start thinking like him.
    And what do you believe the main issues were? We know we're not the highest paying club when it comes to agents, especially for our relative size in this league.
  • edited April 2022
    I think TS caused the recruitment issues so the question may be how much he has learnt from that.
     Worrying thing is, Gallen spoke so highly about the signings we made this term. Didn't sound like he had his arm twisted to me.
    For what ever reason I think we ended up relying on Gallen's little black book late in the day to make the numbers up. 
  • Questioning Gallen's involvement in the whole set up seems to be another taboo in some quarters. 

Whenever the recruitment issue is brought up, the attention seems to be focused on either TS or MS, now Roddy has gone, which is a bit strange seeing as that is essentially Gallens role. 

If it is down to TS getting involved and overruling Gallen (as I pretty sure some have suggested) why is Gallen still at the Club, considering his supposed reputation in the game?

• Mametz said:
    Mametz said:
    Charlton in 2022: 

23 games (exactly half of a season)

8 wins
    4 draws
    11 losses 

Goals scored: 24 
    Goals conceded: 29
    I’m not sure what is the point being made here. 

We were well in the relegation positions when Jackson took over. We have avoided relegation with something to spare. If we had reproduced Jackson’s points per game for a whole season we would be comfortably in the top half of the table. I think it can be very reasonably said that he took charge of somebody else’s squad and improved them. 

Have you got anybody in mind who definitely do better and who would be very willing to come to Charlton.
    Your last paragraph isn't the issue. The point is 54 points in a season which is about what we will get more or less.
    You seem to have missed the point. He didn’t assemble this season’s team and he wasn’t in charge for the first dozen games. Jackson’s points per game since he took over would extrapolate out to somewhere in the upper 60’s over a whole season. That is with someone else’s failing team.

You are pushing for Jackson’s removal. Given that, it is surely reasonable to ask who you think would be prepared to come to Charlton and would do a better job.

Problem is that Jackson's points per game and win % is misleading. Because his first 10 games during the new manager bounce were great.

The fact that points and indeed performances have got worse, not better, is hugely concerning. It shows the coaching, tactics and man management are lacking. And the first 10 game purple patch was just from unsustainable effort.

I get what you are saying, but this cannot be overlooked.
    Forget his connection to us, Jackson needs to be given the tools and assessed after 15 games.
    In the meantime, palice lost today :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    Questioning Gallen's involvement in the whole set up seems to be another taboo in some quarters. 

Whenever the recruitment issue is brought up, the attention seems to be focused on either TS or MS, now Roddy has gone, which is a bit strange seeing as that is essentially Gallens role. 

If it is down to TS getting involved and overruling Gallen (as I pretty sure some have suggested) why is Gallen still at the Club, considering his supposed reputation in the game?

TS dose not get involved with the recruitment that is solely down to SG and his team and JJ and his team .. of course TS has to sign it off and make sure financially it’s a good deal … but no he does not chose the players or speaks to them or there agents that is something down to SG .. who TS described the best in the business 
  • Gribbo said:
    Questioning Gallen's involvement in the whole set up seems to be another taboo in some quarters. 

TS dose not get involved with the recruitment that is solely down to SG and his team and JJ and his team .. of course TS has to sign it off and make sure financially it’s a good deal … but no he does not chose the players or speaks to them or there agents that is something down to SG .. who TS described the best in the business 
    Sandgaard described Gallen as the best negotiator.  Let's not get too confused.

If Gallen identifies players, he has had some hits (Cullen, Gallagher, Bielik) and some donkeys (a selection of Smiths, Bogle etc).  Hardly the best in the business.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I think TS caused the recruitment issues so the question may be how much he has learnt from that.
    For what ever reason I think we ended up relying on Gallen's little black book late in the day to make the numbers up. 
    The black book comment makes sense when we see Leko arriving late in the day and Aneke returning.  

And at the time, I’ll happily admit I was happy to see Leko back.  I thought he was a good signing given his first stint here in a higher division.  By the time Aneke had returned the season was grating on me and I was less pleased to see him back, particularly on a 3 and a half year deal.  

Aneke may still prove his worth consistently, but it seems the little black book may not be the best policy this summer, and I know Jackson doesn’t have Bowyer’s stature or perhaps connections, so I approach this summer very wary of what comes out of it.

At the moment I really do think the likes of Purrington, Pearce, Matthews, Lee, Morgan and Inniss will be offered new deals.  Have a feeling we’re not going to be as ruthless as I think we need to be 
  • It would be interesting to see all the Gallen overseen transfers in his time at the club and the context in which such transfers came about. Bogle for example was, I think, a free out-of-contract player when we were unable to buy due to financial restrictions. Hardly Gallen's fault therefore  Gallen has shown he is very good at his job. When we have had no restrictions and he has been free to negotiate contracts for potential targets I think he has more often than not found good players who suit the club where it finds itself. I'm sure there are some from the Allan Simonsen recruitment school of thinking that think  we should be going after Premier League players and make the club go bust. It's JJ that selects the team, bis responsible for formation, tactics etc and in selection, formation and tactical nous, he is seriously left wanting I'm afraid. 
  • The manager has to be the number one driving force of recruitment. It should be him and Gallen with a shared vision, identifying the players they want with the analysts and scouts. If they are going to give Jackson a chance, at least give him the opportunity to bring in the type of players he wants 
  • NabySarr said:
    I am definitely in the give JJ a chance camp but in terms of alternatives, the best available at the moment would probably be Darren Ferguson or Garry Monk. Wouldn’t be that keen on either but Ferguson did get promoted last season with Peterborough. 

If we were to make the change I would instead look at poaching a manager, maybe Michael Duff from Cheltenham. Highly rated young manager that has done well this season after winning League 2 last year. Other options could be Mark Bonner(Cambridge) or Matt Taylor (Exeter). 

The other big concern I’d have with changing managers is I have no faith in TS appointing the right person. I think he will stick with JJ which is probably the right call 
    The other option for me would be Dave Challinor. I know I saw some posters saying they wouldn’t be happy with him as he broke Martin Pringles leg, but he never got fined for it and has since apologised for it. We accept Bowyer who had a far less ‘clean’ career so I wouldn’t see the difference here. 

Insert image has gone a bit wrong but currently sitting on a 78% win rate at Stockport and got a very good record in general. 

• Extremely good win percentages, feel like our next manager has to be a manager who isn’t a a has been (Adkins/Slade) or a player affiliated with Charlton. We need a manager who is a bit more savvy and has earned his trade in the lower leagues and ready to step up. Chris Wilder and Steve Evans (to some extent) come to mind. 

• Challinor does have a good record but they've got an owner who's spent big in an attempt to get out of non league. They signed players like Paddy Madden from league one Fleetwood, Sarcevic signed from Bolton.

Pretty sure it was the same at Fylde, their owner spent big and they shot up through the leagues like Salford did.
  • I have absolutely no doubt that the right manager could get this specific squad of players in, at the very least, the play off places next season. How I wish we had got an Alex Neil in... 

The players that get a lot of stick: Matthews, Purrington, Gunter, Pearce were all VERY motivated under Bowyer. I fully realise Gunter and Pearce don't have time on their side but they aren't THAT bad. 

I am surprised TS is sleeping his way into yet another failed season. We have been safe for a month. He could have got the new guy in for the last ten games to see what needs doing. As it is it will be a repeat performance of last year. 

I hear Thomas is just putting the finishing touches to the lead guitar part of his song for next season "Addicks are history". 

With the unforgettable chorus: 

"We will p*** this division next year Ra Ra ra". 

Definitely time for a new song...
     :D 
  • Sponsored links:

• Extremely good win percentages, feel like our next manager has to be a manager who isn’t a a has been (Adkins/Slade) or a player affiliated with Charlton. We need a manager who is a bit more savvy and has earned his trade in the lower leagues and ready to step up. Chris Wilder and Steve Evans (to some extent) come to mind. 

Anything but Evans 
  • cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The black book comment makes sense when we see Leko arriving late in the day and Aneke returning.  

And at the time, I’ll happily admit I was happy to see Leko back.  I thought he was a good signing given his first stint here in a higher division.  By the time Aneke had returned the season was grating on me and I was less pleased to see him back, particularly on a 3 and a half year deal.  

Aneke may still prove his worth consistently, but it seems the little black book may not be the best policy this summer, and I know Jackson doesn’t have Bowyer’s stature or perhaps connections, so I approach this summer very wary of what comes out of it.

At the moment I really do think the likes of Purrington, Pearce, Matthews, Lee, Morgan and Inniss will be offered new deals.  Have a feeling we’re not going to be as ruthless as I think we need to be 
    MacGillivray played for Gallen's brother for a couple of years, Souare came with a nod and a wink from Gallen's mate, Leko as you say.  I would imagine that both Arter and Lee were offered by their agents.   Even Clare came with a tip off from Robinson, the person that employed Gallen in the first place.  Henderson needs no explanation 

CBT turned up with his boots and a travel card he paid for himself.  Stockley and Famewo were both here last year. 

That leaves Dobson, Lavelle and Kirk as players we identified through either old fashion scouting or data. 

Now I am not saying its Gallen's fault.  I think it's, like everything else, a combination of many things.  But ultimately they either under estimated how much we needed or how hard it would be and didn't have a process to get the number of players in that they need.

Remember we only released 3 players last season.  I don't think we will release, or other wise unload, anywhere near as many as most people think.  I don't think we have a processto replacing them if we did. 
  • Challinor does have a good record but they've got an owner who's spent big in an attempt to get out of non league. They signed players like Paddy Madden from league one Fleetwood, Sarcevic signed from Bolton.

Pretty sure it was the same at Fylde, their owner spent big and they shot up through the leagues like Salford did.
    I’ve seen that, but even so to be such a consistent side means he knows how to play his teams. I think he’s a manager that will be in demand, assuming Stockport go up 
    LTKapal said:

Extremely good win percentages, feel like our next manager has to be a manager who isn’t a a has been (Adkins/Slade) or a player affiliated with Charlton. We need a manager who is a bit more savvy and has earned his trade in the lower leagues and ready to step up. Chris Wilder and Steve Evans (to some extent) come to mind. 

Anything but Evans 
    I am not suggesting Evans for even a second, just rather saying his excellent work at non league got him a gig at professional level 
  • Thomas sees the club as his baby, or at least his pet project. He won’t employ a CEO for that reason. I think it’ll take another disastrous season before he faces up to the reality that running a football club is nowhere near as easy as he thinks, with or without Jackson as manager. 
  • edited April 2022
    Enough is enough for me. I can't see us getting promoted next season with Jackson in charge. He simply can't motivate his players and tactically he looks clueless. His obsession with 3-5-2 has cost us a shed load of points this season and there is no excuse for the 'bothered/can't be bothered' second-half of the season. We need the biggest clearout we can afford and I would put my money on someone else. It's too important a role to get wrong for yet another season.
    Sandgaard of course, is blameless. 
  • So much understandable sentimentality surrounding Jackson; it's the Modus Operandi of the Charlton fan.

Jackson will, alas, end up like Chris Powell. A really nice chap who, sadly, is not cut out for football 'management'. Part of the coaching team, yes, but actually managing and handling all that is associated with such, no.

Ok, we all measure success differently, but, in my opinion, Jackson, like Powell, will never be cut out to be a successful manager. He has a touch of the Cowleys or Robinsons about him, a lower league merry-go-round manager. Nothing more than journeyman material.

But then again, are we any better than journeyman material?
    I’ll take 101 points in L1 and ninth in the Championship. How about you?

Being a Powell fan, this was over two seasons.  What has he done since?
    Just a coach for the best European team at the World Cup this year. 
  • Gribbo said:

Still ignoring what he said himself at the Q&A I see. 

Man, who to believe about Thomas Sandgaard's involvement in transfers, Thomas Sandgaard or Mr 4th trolling account?!? 

That's a toughie.
  • Gribbo said:

Still ignoring what he said himself at the Q&A I see. 

Man, who to believe about Thomas Sandgaard's involvement in transfers, Thomas Sandgaard or Mr 4th trolling account?!? 

That's a toughie.
    I know the answer to this, it's Thomas Jefferson isn't it? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!