Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brian Jokat confirmed to be new COO (p4), Sacked (p5) 🙄

Comments

• Options
    Shame we didnt have AEG as our owners.

We'd have hoovered up the talent and we'd have long washed our hands of League One Football
    With Dyson as shirt sponsors!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I am 99% certain this appointment will involve some kind of pre existing link to somebody at the club or TS himself.

I think I mentioned before, an industry friend of mine has a CV that includes CCO Aston Villa (plus acting CEO for a 6 month period), C Suite roles at the FA and also two F1 teams.

Basically a CV that shat all over this guys.

We submitted his CV to the club with any future roles in mind a few months ago and heard nothing back. 

He could sort this place out with his eyes shut, so the fact he didnt even get an interview suggests:

1) A guy was already in place.
    2) He was recognised as being vastly overqualified / too expensive.
    Quick Google suggests your mate is vital to the health of a football club's entire body? 
    Fred Oxygen?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I am 99% certain this appointment will involve some kind of pre existing link to somebody at the club or TS himself.

I think I mentioned before, an industry friend of mine has a CV that includes CCO Aston Villa (plus acting CEO for a 6 month period), C Suite roles at the FA and also two F1 teams.

We submitted his CV to the club with any future roles in mind a few months ago and heard nothing back. 

He could sort this place out with his eyes shut, so the fact he didnt even get an interview suggests:

Quick Google suggests your mate is vital to the health of a football club's entire body? 
    Hahaha - very good Sam ;)
  • Options
    What position does he play?
  • Options
    Brilliant name.  Lot's of piss taking potential AND no doubt we'll be on his case sooner rather than later...
  • Options
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Brilliant name.  Lot's of piss taking potential AND no doubt we'll be on his case sooner rather than later...
    Have you not read this thread? Some people already are on his case and the bloke hasn't even been appointed yet!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Fred Oxygen?
     Nah

Mike Nerves 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Out of interest Damo, how do you know this chap is 'just a puppet'?

Every chance you could be right, but do we at least give him an opportunity to prove himself?

Also not a fan of shitting on someone because of their prior-employment. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Dazzler21 said:

Every chance you could be right, but do we at least give him an opportunity to prove himself?

That's fair enough - but the fact remains I wouldn't hire somebody for a senior role if they have shown no evidence up to now that they are up for it. That's not harsh - it's just real life. In any industry.

So I don't know he is a puppet, but he must have something going for him that isn't his previous career experience - that TS will have seen or been aware of. So either he interviews bloody well, strums a decent number on the guitar, or is known to TS and won't rock the boat.

Maybe our budget isn't in the ballpark for proven experience, but then again the club doesn't seem interested in getting free advice from people with proven experience. Which leads me to 'suspect' that decisions are being made based on something other than proven ability to do a job.
  • Options
    Anyway jokes aside, I know I am always so vocal about how the club is being run - but like all of us I love Charlton with all my heart. But I mean a fucking London Knights ex employee - we can do better than that surely.

He is clearly just a puppet to TS - and that's not good enough.

I am sure I am not the only fan on this board that's better qualified than him.

I have said this before - I emailed Thomas and said I would give up my advisory role at Brentford and offered a set number of hours for free. Heard nothing back. My lead investor is part of one of the consortiums short listed to takeover Chelsea. I have spent the last month guiding and advising on his teams bid. I have 22 years experience in sports and entertainment marketing.

We will have loads of fans who love the club and can offer better experience than this guy.

It is so fucking frustrating on every level.
    Well hang on, there's absolutely no evidence for that. Yes, it's odd that Sandgaard is appointing people he knows, but that's the way he does things. He didn't know Ged Roddy, who had a great footballing CV, and he didn't turn out too great so I think now Sandgaard is going for people he knows. There were rumours that Sandgaard wasn't happy about the amount he was being kept informed when Roddy was in so the placement of people he knows is likely a reaction to that. Whether he's over-corrected or not we'll see, but it seems a bit much to rule this guy out as being able to handle himself completely because you know someone with a better CV, especially with Roddy's in mind. Let's just see
    Agreed on the main point, but I would have some concerns if there was any evidence of poor structure, poor management, operational and behind the scenes disarray or even nepotism.  Until I see any of that I’ll give TS a break regarding selection of people in senior roles.

oh, wait………
  • Options
    Truthfully I couldn’t give a flying &£)( who this bloke is or his potential role at the moment. Give me hope with signings of quality and a team starting the season in a positive way then I’ll worry about a bloke who isn’t even confirmed as involved,if things don’t improve then we should question what’s going on.Yet another rumour for people to get there knickers in a twist over before the facts are there for all to see.
  • Options
    Anyway jokes aside, I know I am always so vocal about how the club is being run - but like all of us I love Charlton with all my heart. But I mean a fucking London Knights ex employee - we can do better than that surely.

I have said this before - I emailed Thomas and said I would give up my advisory role at Brentford and offered a set number of hours for free. Heard nothing back. My lead investor is part of one of the consortiums short listed to takeover Chelsea. I have spent the last month guiding and advising on his teams bid. I have 22 years experience in sports and entertainment marketing.

We will have loads of fans who love the club and can offer better experience than this guy.

Well hang on, there's absolutely no evidence for that. Yes, it's odd that Sandgaard is appointing people he knows, but that's the way he does things. He didn't know Ged Roddy, who had a great footballing CV, and he didn't turn out too great so I think now Sandgaard is going for people he knows. There were rumours that Sandgaard wasn't happy about the amount he was being kept informed when Roddy was in so the placement of people he knows is likely a reaction to that. Whether he's over-corrected or not we'll see, but it seems a bit much to rule this guy out as being able to handle himself completely because you know someone with a better CV, especially with Roddy's in mind. Let's just see
    Ged Roddy DID NOT have a great CV!
  • Options
    Thing is we don't know if TS knew this guy before. There is no evidence of it.

We don't know the job role or the salary or even if it's actually happening.

So we can't say he's either under or over qualified.

Jokat does have some relevant experience in the sports world, and with Charlton, via the trust before TS was around, but there is no evidence he is a puppet.

I don't know if he's any good or the right fit because I don't know what he's going to be asked to do.  COO covers a lot of possibilities.

It's a rumour for now, that's all.

I think TS has made mistakes, in his running of the club (also some good things) often because he made assumptions but I think you might be doing the same.
    Agreed, it feels a bit unfair to damn someone ahead of them actually doing anything in the job, just because he was Thomas's appointment - "If Thomas choses him, he HAS to be a stooge/useless/cheap etc"
  • Options
    This does mean though that there's no chance of us getting undersoil heating installed now, as if the pitch is frozen we'll stage a game of ice hockey instead
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This does mean though that there's no chance of us getting undersoil heating installed now, as if the pitch is frozen we'll stage a game of ice hockey instead
    Funny you should say that because the boiler for undersoil heating has been installed 10 years after Duchachatelat but the pipes in.

But maybe it has a "very cold" option 🤔 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Dazzler21 said:

That's fair enough - but the fact remains I wouldn't hire somebody for a senior role if they have shown no evidence up to now that they are up for it. That's not harsh - it's just real life. In any industry.

So I don't know he is a puppet, but he must have something going for him that isn't his previous career experience - that TS will have seen or been aware of. So either he interviews bloody well, strums a decent number on the guitar, or is known to TS and won't rock the boat.

Maybe our budget isn't in the ballpark for proven experience, but then again the club doesn't seem interested in getting free advice from people with proven experience. Which leads me to 'suspect' that decisions are being made based on something other than proven ability to do a job.
    I agree with a lot of this, but what I will say is that you never fully know if someone is up to a job or not until you employ them and they can show what they are made of, and just because someone may have proven ability showing it somewhere else doesn't mean they will necessarily show it here as all football clubs or businesses for that matter have different cultures and expectations.

If you think their are 100% guarantees to just employing someone and everything will be spot on with no mistakes, then that's not really fair on the person your employing and not realistic.
  • Options
    Hammarby a very forward thinking club on and off the pitch so excited to see what elements of that he could bring with him.
    In what way are Hammarby very forward thinking. Interested to know. Thx.
  • Options

Whether you are to be offered a role in some form is totally up to Thomas, but I find it sad and disappointing that the club no longer has the decency to even reply to such a generous gesture.
  • Options
    So is this the guy that has to think exactly like Thomas and make the same decisions?… or is this guy allowed independent thoughts.

Let's hope he can make a difference to the current shambles, maybe we even get him involved in the recruitment 😉
  • Options
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/brian-jokat-9a34884

The Icelandic 62 year old was rumoured to be our new COO on twitter by @churchyruns and by @RedRobin here on the Tony Keohane thread.

Jokat was CEO of the London Knights Ice Hockey side and worked for AEG for five years as well as being an ice hockey coach.

He's had various sports consultancy roles too and has been based in Europe for over  20 years.

He has a degree in Sports Administration.

Rumours say COO not CEO although that might, IMHO, be a title to allow TS to remain CEO while Joket is the on the ground, de facto CEO. My speculation only.

Nothing official so WIOTOS but @RedRobin said Joket has said it himself.
    https://youtu.be/FeRkVk_NFLo
  • Options
    Hopefully he can get the Anderson brothers in to toughen up the defence. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    So is this the guy that has to think exactly like Thomas and make the same decisions?… or is this guy allowed independent thoughts.

Let's hope he can make a difference to the current shambles, maybe we even get him involved in the recruitment 😉
    Martin presses a button when he hears an independent thought to immediately warn Thomas.