Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

injuries

Comments

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Has anyone asked Holden, the medical team, or anyone, why we have so many injuries every year, it can't just be bad luck or coincidence. It's getting beyond ridiculous, despite supposedly improving the backroom staff? 
    Have we improved the backroom staff though?

Do we have the right people involved (Like that Danny Murphy bloke back in 2019/20) who is ensuring that players aren't pushing their bodies beyond the limit, either because they dont know any better... Or because they don't want to, in case it ruins their place in the team and potentially their career.

If the adequate staff arent there, whats the difference between a Footballer pushing themselves too much, and some average bloke going out running every evening...

The latter can think he's looking after himself, staying fit and healthy etc. but if he's not warming up / down properly, or doesn't realise that going out every night with no breaks is doing more damage... Who is around to advise that casual runner to ease off? 
    Was it TS who said we’d improved the Medical Team and did he take them with him when he left or did I imagine that?
    Seem to remember they got a device that detected hamstring injuries before they happened - Equally wonder if any of them left, given we have had a bit of an exodus of staff under TS
    Several of the current injuries are down to impacts. Not possible to prevent in a contact sport.
    True. However, Egbo certainly isn't, and based on Terry''s radio commentary, neither is Chin's. We all know about Aneke. Jones, Asiimwe and Fraser? 

Charlie Methven during his interview went off -record to go into detail about the problem. As he said,"It's no good spending money on good players if you do not keep them fit". He went off-record because he was speaking about a department of a business he did not own at the time. Last night (noting that he had been at Newport) I wrote to remind him of what he'd said and suggested that it might be a good time to go public, if indeed they recognise the need to invest in that department. It was certainly what he indicated as a priority in the interview, and of course I have a record of the whole thing.
    I like your style:)
  • Options
    edited August 2023
  • Options
    While our medical team and resources are clearly not good enough, I find it hard to believe that they're any worse than much of L1, the likes of Cambridge, Orient, Cheltenham etc are unlikely to have massive resources either. Do they have the same injury issues we have, never mind L2 and NL clubs?

Some players do seem much physically stronger than others. Dobson seems to keep going, and looking at former players the likes of Morgan, Clare and Rak-Sakyi were rarely injured. Even Inniss managed to get over his injury problems last season, a definite success for the medical team.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    i keep going back to those days when Chuks was "warming up" at HT - my experience was it looked like he was not being coached and just doing his own thing. I made the point of starting this thread because I have no faith in whatever our medical team is and I stand by it now.
  • Options
    I honestly think Asiimwe, Jones and Fraser will be fine and it’s a bit of bluffing on Holden’s part.

Losing Campbell as a striker option after already missing Leaburn and Aneke is disappointing though.
  • Options
    While our medical team and resources are clearly not good enough, I find it hard to believe that they're any worse than much of L1, the likes of Cambridge, Orient, Cheltenham etc are unlikely to have massive resources either. Do they have the same injury issues we have, never mind L2 and NL clubs?

Some players do seem much physically stronger than others. Dobson seems to keep going, and looking at former players the likes of Morgan, Clare and Rak-Sakyi were rarely injured. Even Inniss managed to get over his injury problems last season, a definite success for the medical team.
    I've always been mindful of the possibility that we (fans) overstate our problems to each other, because we are deeply aware of every injury to our squad, whereas most of us have not got a clue what's happening at any other club. 

However I remember that before the Ipswich home game last season, Greg Stubley on the stream said that the Ipswich back "six" - no idea who the sixth player was, maybe a holding midfielder - had been virtually unchanged since the start of the season. 

And then along came Charlie Methven to confirm that we indeed have a problem that needs fixing, and I assume that he has at least some comparative data to help him reach that conclusion-  I think he is quite good at collecting and using that sort of intel. That was back in May, and now he's seeing it unfold in front of him. So I have expectations of change in that area....

• Options

I've always been mindful of the possibility that we (fans) overstate our problems to each other, because we are deeply aware of every injury to our squad, whereas most of us have not got a clue what's happening at any other club. 

However I remember that before the Ipswich home game last season, Greg Stubley on the stream said that the Ipswich back "six" - no idea who the sixth player was, maybe a holding midfielder - had been virtually unchanged since the start of the season. 

And then along came Charlie Methven to confirm that we indeed have a problem that needs fixing, and I assume that he has at least some comparative data to help him reach that conclusion-  I think he is quite good at collecting and using that sort of intel. That was back in May, and now he's seeing it unfold in front of him. So I have expectations of change in that area....

I guess we're all waiting for the identity of the Director of Performance, who was "tbc" when the take-over was announced 3 weeks ago.

I suppose it could be a while yet, because if they are any good at their job, they are presumably currently employed and either waiting for the end of their contract or working out their notice.  Lets hope it's not too long, because at the present rate of attrition we could be in a bad place by the end of the month!
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

I guess we're all waiting for the identity of the Director of Performance, who was "tbc" when the take-over was announced 3 weeks ago.

Dr Frankenstein? He’s good with stiffs….
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    N01R4M said:

Dr Frankenstein? He’s good with stiffs….

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Egbo felt his quads in the warm up. I presume this prevented an injury and he may be fit tomorrow subject to tests.
  • Options
    Egbo felt his quads in the warm up. I presume this prevented an injury and he may be fit tomorrow subject to tests.
    That's a good point, it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Nevertheless that should not happen to a player who was available for the whole pre-season programme, surely?
  • Options
    OS Posh preview only says Aneke and Leaburn are ruled out due to injury.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/match-preview-peterborough-united-v-charlton-1

Deji Elerewe (suspended), Chuks Aneke (calf) and Miles Leaburn (ankle) remain unavailable, while Mandela Egbo (quad), Richard Chin (groin), Scott Fraser (calf) and Tyreece Campbell (ankle) are still being assessed.

Dean Holden revealed Nathan Asiimwe and Lloyd Jones will also be monitored after the duo missed Tuesday's cup clash at Newport County.

• Options
    I think the problem is two fold personally.

I think we have been incredibly unlucky.  

The bigger problem, I think, is that for the last 4 or 5 years we have been run like a big club without a sufficient budget.  No shit sherlock but I will try and explain what I mean.

We won't pay, or have the non playing budget, the wages that the likes of Wednesday, Ipswich or Sunderland have done recently.  I would guess that we have a similar number of non playing "football" staff as they did though.

I would take a good guess we tried to have a "world leading" sports science and medical department, on the cheap.

I would guess a club like Cambridge would have a totally different approach and end up being both cheaper and more effective.

• Options
    I thought Deji was only suspended for the same cup games he was sent off in
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I thought Deji was only suspended for the same cup games he was sent off in
    He was sent off in a "league" game, the play off semi final. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    OS Posh preview only says Aneke and Leaburn are ruled out due to injury.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/match-preview-peterborough-united-v-charlton-1

Deji Elerewe (suspended), Chuks Aneke (calf) and Miles Leaburn (ankle) remain unavailable, while Mandela Egbo (quad), Richard Chin (groin), Scott Fraser (calf) and Tyreece Campbell (ankle) are still being assessed.

Dean Holden revealed Nathan Asiimwe and Lloyd Jones will also be monitored after the duo missed Tuesday's cup clash at Newport County.

It could be instructive to know how many of Posh are out or being “assessed”. They mention thier skipper picking up a hammy last week which sounds a bit  classic early- season Charlton, but how many others? 
  • Options
    Campbell is out for 2-3 weeks... Fraser is out for a little bit longer
  • Options
    Campbell is out for 2-3 weeks... Fraser is out for a little bit longer
    quite a bit longer. Really depressing. Of course we can never be sure, but that seemed like a non-contact injury and thus avoidable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unbelievable really, every year our squad is cut in half at the beginning of the season by endless injuries and having no suitable back ups!

That curse about the Valley being built on an old burial ground, is clearly true. Anyone know an exorcist?
  • Options
    And another 2 added to the list today apparently!!! It’s very weird that we do seem to get more than our fair share
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    And another 2 added to the list today apparently!!! It’s very weird that we do seem to get more than our fair share
    A lot of them join us either with an injury or just recovered from one. They can't immediately play and are rushed back because 1) we need them and 2) they want to be out there playing. 

If we stopped signing injured players then we might get somewhere. Funny how out of the new recruits this summer we paid a fee for 1 of them. Alfie May. He's played pre-season games for us & 2 league games (plus coming on as a sub in the cup game because he was needed). Out of contract players seem to be "not up to speed" or "getting over an injury". I have no clue about other teams but I wonder how many players that Pompey/Barnsley/Bolton signed in the summer haven't started a game or are being "managed". 

Pay peanuts - get monkeys. 
  • Options
    I honestly think Asiimwe, Jones and Fraser will be fine and it’s a bit of bluffing on Holden’s part.

Losing Campbell as a striker option after already missing Leaburn and Aneke is disappointing though.
    Holden saying Fraser will be longer than Campbell and that Tyreece is two, three, four weeks away.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Holden saying Fraser will be longer than Campbell and that Tyreece is two, three, four weeks away.
    Well I was right on 2/3 at least…

Holden did say he hoped to have one back by midweek in his post match chat… if it’s not Campbell or Fraser it’ll be one of Leaburn, Aneke, Taylor…
  • Options

Holden did say he hoped to have one back by midweek in his post match chat… if it’s not Campbell or Fraser it’ll be one of Leaburn, Aneke, Taylor…
    Taylor I would imagine.  Who got injured today ?
  • Options

Taylor I would imagine.  Who got injured today ?
    No names given, just said a couple took knocks and they’ll be assessed tomorrow/Monday.
  • Options

Well it wont be Aneke, will it? Even if he has made progress they would be mad to pitch him in to a league game. 
  • Options
    I doubt we will see Aneke before the clocks go back. 
  • Options
    I imagine Taylor was "managed" yesterday, rather than having anything serious.