Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

injuries

Comments

• Options
    He talked about it on the Bromley Addicks thing I think. I can't remember how long he said he would be out for.
  • Options
    He talked about it on the Bromley Addicks thing I think. I can't remember how long he said he would be out for.
    With all due respect to Bromley Addicks, the club has the ability to speak to national and local press on a weekly basis. The club also has an official website. JJ is interviewed very regularly by Charlton TV as well, pre and post games. I'll point you back to my previous quotes from the Sheff Weds manager, which i found on local Sheffield news sites. Detailed, with a plan, by all accounts they are having a worse injury crisis than us. 

Has anyone seen Jacko in a local bar lately for an update on CBT that can give us an update??

• Options
    What's happened to CBT? Been out several weeks now, with no news
    Hamstring
    After he went off Jacko said 3 weeks ago (5th February)

Jackson explained: “He said when he was opening up and sprinting he was feeling his hamstring a bit. He felt like it would go. I don’t think it actually did but he was feeling it enough that he couldn’t continue.

Which sounds like a relatively minor injury, rather than an actual tear?
    sounds a lot like when Stockley was first out and we were told it was a "niggle" then after weeks we find out (from the player himself on a podcast no less) that it was a slipped disk (or something to that effect)  That's kinda what i'm getting at regarding clarity - and also suggests either a lack of communication between the physios and the manager, or, what is more worrying, a casual and passive attitude towards injury management in this club, and CERTAINLY the way it is communicated to the fans. 

Sorry to keep banging this drum but as I said in my OP, I pay to see a professional football team play, preferably at least the majority of the first team - if 80% of the first team are ruled out they don't refund me 80% of the ticket cost do they? It's a bit like paying out to see Elvis Presley and ending up getting Elvis Costello. 

No offence to Elvis Costello fans btw ;)
    Hate to burst your bubble mate but Elvis Presley is dead so don't waste your money but you have a chance of seeing Elvis Costello...not a fan of either by the way!
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    What's happened to CBT? Been out several weeks now, with no news
    Hamstring
    After he went off Jacko said 3 weeks ago (5th February)

Jackson explained: “He said when he was opening up and sprinting he was feeling his hamstring a bit. He felt like it would go. I don’t think it actually did but he was feeling it enough that he couldn’t continue.

Which sounds like a relatively minor injury, rather than an actual tear?
    sounds a lot like when Stockley was first out and we were told it was a "niggle" then after weeks we find out (from the player himself on a podcast no less) that it was a slipped disk (or something to that effect)  That's kinda what i'm getting at regarding clarity - and also suggests either a lack of communication between the physios and the manager, or, what is more worrying, a casual and passive attitude towards injury management in this club, and CERTAINLY the way it is communicated to the fans. 

Sorry to keep banging this drum but as I said in my OP, I pay to see a professional football team play, preferably at least the majority of the first team - if 80% of the first team are ruled out they don't refund me 80% of the ticket cost do they? It's a bit like paying out to see Elvis Presley and ending up getting Elvis Costello. 

No offence to Elvis Costello fans btw ;)
    Hate to burst your bubble mate but Elvis Presley is dead so don't waste your money but you have a chance of seeing Elvis Costello...not a fan of either by the way!
    bit like our season mate..
  • Options
    Sadly, but somewhat inevitably, they've started coming thick & fast. 

What will TS's reaction be, I wonder ?
  • Options

Probably will send over some of his cheap TENS machines.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

The squad cap and SCMP rules (financial fair play) put limits on how many senior players we can register and how much we can spend, so in fairness to TS it's not entirely within his control.
    Neither a broken hand... thats just shite luck for us!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm waiting for them to roll out Chuks for the crossbar challenge whereby he will trip over the ball and break his ankle.
  • Options
    Egbo should be back soon which will help at the back 

Yes JFC and Gilbey might be leaving, but while they are still our players it feels silly to leave them out, especially for the Walsall cup game. I can't imagine too many L1 sides will care if they are cuptied.
  • Options

Are you seriously putting our recent injury problems, like a broken hand on TS? Why is it inevitably? Why mention his reaction? I follow your posts and I get you don't like him but Jesus christ what has happened with injuries on the pitch surely can't be blamed on him! Had a few beers so I apologise if I am missing the point you are making apart from having a sly dig at a bloke who seems to be wasting his money on keeping us afloat.
  • Options
    Clarky said:

Are you seriously putting our recent injury problems, like a broken hand on TS? Why is it inevitably? Why mention his reaction? I follow your posts and I get you don't like him but Jesus christ what has happened with injuries on the pitch surely can't be blamed on him! Had a few beers so I apologise if I am missing the point you are making apart from having a sly dig at a bloke who seems to be wasting his money on keeping us afloat.
    Oh dear. 

You probably aren't old enough to have heard of The Animals but to coin a phrase ...Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood ! 

OK, 2 things. 

First, "inevitably" because that's par for the course when it comes to football, and not just CAFC. Perhaps you haven't followed the Addicks as long as I have but it does seem in recent seasons that we've had more than our fair share of injuries that have had serious implications on our finishing position in this league. 

Secondly, who is blaming said injuries on TS ? Methinks you've had more than just a few beers if you could surmise that I blamed our owner. That is NOT what I wrote. My question was " What will TS's reaction be, I wonder ? " and that remains a pertinent question IMO. 

With the window  less than 2 weeks away from closure, this has to be the time to consider seriously whether there is enough depth ( and experience) in the current squad. And, regardless of how BG sees it number wise, the buck stops with TS & how seriously he needs ( and yes, the word is needs) us to gain promotion at the end of this season. I believe the answer is desperately ....and for someone who writes that the owner is "wasting his money" currently, perhaps you should ask yourself, how long this could go on. Deciding to ignore the views & advice ( made in the best possible manner!) of those who've been there & have the T shirt, including long term supporters, might well be his epitaph as far as owning an English football club is concerned. Sad but very likely true.  

Regardless of your views on my opinions, and as such , of those of many other Lifers, I would challenge you to make an informed guess, as to how long you'd expect TS to " keep us afloat" in L1 should this season's promotion challenge fail . I would welcome your response to that question, seriously. A further season ? Maybe 2 ? Not forgetting that he has a business in Colorado to maintain too & which may well be suffering as a result of his statement that he intends to spend 6 months pa in the UK. 

So, I presume that my question has been clarified for you now & that IMO there is a dilemma for Thomas that urgently requires a decision....

Speculate to accumulate ? 

Or stick ? 

The former would be costly but if appropriate incomings were earmarked & financed , could be the difference between promotion or another L1 season ...in itself a costly, unforgiving position. For me, the ongoing situation with Chuks makes a back up striker THE most important & necessary addition. But you may well have an alternative opinion.

The latter would indicate that he is convinced ( or prepared to gamble) that we have a large enough squad PLUS the necessary U 21s that will inevitably be required to step up when injuries / suspensions occur. 

Finally, now that I am somewhat more optimistic that you will understand how Fanny's mind works, I have the suspicion that you might be wondering whether to respond that it's HIS money to do with as he wishes. Am I correct ? 

All I shall say is that maybe he should have examined more closely how a relatively unsuccessful football club ( in recent years) might just be a Money Pit & ask himself whether he was fully prepared to take a chance on being one of the few who could reverse that trend. And, once the decision was made, whether his " innovative" methods of reducing losses are, in fact, worthy of perseverance or whether he should put on his Sensible Hat and be prepared to admit he needs to take advice from those who know best....

SO many questions & thus far, not enough answers that bear consideration, I'm afraid.

• Options
    Clarky said:

Oh dear. 

You probably aren't old enough to have heard of The Animals but to coin a phrase ...Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood ! 

OK, 2 things. 

First, "inevitably" because that's par for the course when it comes to football, and not just CAFC. Perhaps you haven't followed the Addicks as long as I have but it does seem in recent seasons that we've had more than our fair share of injuries that have had serious implications on our finishing position in this league. 

Secondly, who is blaming said injuries on TS ? Methinks you've had more than just a few beers if you could surmise that I blamed our owner. That is NOT what I wrote. My question was " What will TS's reaction be, I wonder ? " and that remains a pertinent question IMO. 

With the window  less than 2 weeks away from closure, this has to be the time to consider seriously whether there is enough depth ( and experience) in the current squad. And, regardless of how BG sees it number wise, the buck stops with TS & how seriously he needs ( and yes, the word is needs) us to gain promotion at the end of this season. I believe the answer is desperately ....and for someone who writes that the owner is "wasting his money" currently, perhaps you should ask yourself, how long this could go on. Deciding to ignore the views & advice ( made in the best possible manner!) of those who've been there & have the T shirt, including long term supporters, might well be his epitaph as far as owning an English football club is concerned. Sad but very likely true.  

Regardless of your views on my opinions, and as such , of those of many other Lifers, I would challenge you to make an informed guess, as to how long you'd expect TS to " keep us afloat" in L1 should this season's promotion challenge fail . I would welcome your response to that question, seriously. A further season ? Maybe 2 ? Not forgetting that he has a business in Colorado to maintain too & which may well be suffering as a result of his statement that he intends to spend 6 months pa in the UK. 

So, I presume that my question has been clarified for you now & that IMO there is a dilemma for Thomas that urgently requires a decision....

Or stick ? 

The former would be costly but if appropriate incomings were earmarked & financed , could be the difference between promotion or another L1 season ...in itself a costly, unforgiving position. For me, the ongoing situation with Chuks makes a back up striker THE most important & necessary addition. But you may well have an alternative opinion.

The latter would indicate that he is convinced ( or prepared to gamble) that we have a large enough squad PLUS the necessary U 21s that will inevitably be required to step up when injuries / suspensions occur. 

Finally, now that I am somewhat more optimistic that you will understand how Fanny's mind works, I have the suspicion that you might be wondering whether to respond that it's HIS money to do with as he wishes. Am I correct ? 

All I shall say is that maybe he should have examined more closely how a relatively unsuccessful football club ( in recent years) might just be a Money Pit & ask himself whether he was fully prepared to take a chance on being one of the few who could reverse that trend. And, once the decision was made, whether his " innovative" methods of reducing losses are, in fact, worthy of perseverance or whether he should put on his Sensible Hat and be prepared to admit he needs to take advice from those who know best....

SO many questions & thus far, not enough answers that bear consideration, I'm afraid.

Sadly you lost me on "oh dear" and not old enough, didn't read the rest but don't try and patronise an older person who has supporter Charlton since 1969.I will leave it there!
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    Clarky said:

Oh dear. 

OK, 2 things. 

Or stick ? 

Sadly you lost me on "oh dear" and not old enough, didn't read the rest but don't try and patronise an older person who has supporter Charlton since 1969.I will leave it there!
    That wasn't my intention, Sir/Madam. But my mention of The Animals was purely tongue in cheek & in no way derogatory.

Maybe you should be prepared to listen to the opinion of others & not jump to conclusions ...as I may have done regarding your age.

However, I first visited The Valley in 1963. 
  • Options
    If Sessegnon had his hamstring strain already by Tuesday, it begs the question of why he was on the bench at all.
  • Options
    If Sessegnon had his hamstring strain already by Tuesday, it begs the question of why he was on the bench at all.
    Yes, that seems odd.
  • Options
    Because we have excellent sports science staff. Crikes remember that Adkins line in every interview. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are we still without a strength and conditioning coach?
  • Options
    I want to see a competitive team at Walsall.
    So do the others who are travelling there.
    Goodness knows who will play.
  • Options
    Good to hear about Corey as along with Rak Sakyi and Chuks Aneke they are our 3 X factor players but it will always be a bit hit and miss with these type of players and in Chuks case it getting his mind and body right. 

At times I wonder if certain guys spending too much time in the Gym is counter productive. Both Aneke and Inniss look like body builders which is great as doormen but not so sure when you need to be an athlete as well ?

Just saying, I may be wide of the mark but...
  • Options
    Good to hear about Corey as along with Rak Sakyi and Chuks Aneke they are our 3 X factor players but it will always be a bit hit and miss with these type of players and in Chuks case it getting his mind and body right. 

At times I wonder if certain guys spending too much time in the Gym is counter productive. Both Aneke and Inniss look like body builders which is great as doormen but not so sure when you need to be an athlete as well ?

Just saying, I may be wide of the mark but...
    Perhaps they skip leg day !!
  • Options
    I'd say there's a big difference between Innis and Aneke's body, despite their height, in terms of relative muscle mass.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    That wasn't my intention, Sir/Madam. But my mention of The Animals was purely tongue in cheek & in no way derogatory.

Maybe you should be prepared to listen to the opinion of others & not jump to conclusions ...as I may have done regarding your age.

However, I first visited The Valley in 1963. 
    TS reaction - surely listen to his manager and support staff (which I know he does).

The limit on squad size means you can't just go out and sign players (even if they are available). It effectively limits you 2 players per position. Made a bit better with players like Clare and recent academy graduates who don't count in the limit.

With Aneke he has strained a different part of the calf. This can happen and no doubt the medical team will work on a solution.

However, as someone who tore a hamstring over 40 years ago I still get twinges when running for a bus.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Egbo
    Aneke
    Sessegnon
    McGrandles
    Blackett-Taylor
    Inniss

They’re building up already.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Egbo
    Aneke
    Sessegnon
    McGrandles
    Blackett-Taylor
    Inniss

They’re building up already.

CBT, Egbo and McG will all be back soon.  Iniiss and Aneke will always be injured so no point in even counting them frankly and if the people in charge think differently then they are mental