Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

injuries

I'm sorry, but a professional organisation with so many injured people is unacceptable, bad luck is one thing, but over nearly 5 years of the same issues, it's not like they are over exerting themselves, it's time to be honest, the coaching set up is not good enough. These sick notes don't belong in a charlton shirt. It's not bad luck any more, that would be one or two, maybe three  over a few years maybe, this is consistent. I get we are league one, but our physios are non league. "niggles" turn into 6 month injuries. the lies need to stop. I pay out for tickets to see a football team, not florence nightingales select 11. 

Comments

• I must admit that I have had doubts about the clubs medical team too. We shouldn't be losing so many players for such long periods. Or are we just unlucky ?
  • edited February 2022
    I must admit that I have had doubts about the clubs medical team too. We shouldn't be losing so many players for such long periods. Or are we just unlucky ?
    Every team gets injuries, it’s a contact sport.

We seem to get our fair share of them whether we get more, less or about the same as other league 1 clubs.

Unless. You can get to the bottom of it having 4 injured strikers at the same time, you will never be able to achieve promotion and compete in the division above.

Even when we were briefly in the championship, didn’t we rack up like  15 injured players at the same time, which hurt us big time (we thought it was Bowyers style of play that was causing it).

At this time of day I don’t know what the answer is, you could say not recruiting injured players, but Burstow is just starting out.
  • Scoham said:
    It’s not going to get better if we keep signing players like Aneke and Inniss.
    That’s the crux of the issue really. As mendonca says, every team will get their injuries, it’s unavoidable. However when you add players with continuous issues like Innis, Aneke, Williams in the past, then all of sudden it’s easy to find yourself with the sort of injury pressure we constantly find ourselves in.

• Doesn’t help when we repeatedly sign crocks in the first place. But we do seem to break players more than most clubs. Would like to see some stats to check whether that’s actually true. 
  • Scoham said:
    It’s not going to get better if we keep signing players like Aneke and Inniss.
    That’s the crux of the issue really. As mendonca says, every team will get their injuries, it’s unavoidable. However when you add players with continuous issues like Innis, Aneke, Williams in the past, then all of sudden it’s easy to find yourself with the sort of injury pressure we constantly find ourselves in.

I’m afraid you need to add JFC to that list
  • Where it feels ridiculous is when the likes of Sam Lavelle pick up an injury for 3+ months

The bloke has even said in interviews before now that he's barely ever been injured until now

So even if we try to avoid another Aneke or Inniss in the world

We're still going to get players who'll get injured.
  • Are the training ground facilities all up to scratch/speed? I remember this being mentioned previously.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Of course every club picks up injuries but we notice the impact more because we have players like Aneke and Inniss. As they’re guaranteed to spend part of the season out that puts more pressure on those playing. Burstow might not have got injured if we a couple more fit strikers. Lavelle’s injury wouldn’t be as big an issue if Inniss could stay fit.
    Although if Inniss didn't have the injury issues at the beginning of the season, I doubt we would have signed Lavelle at all.

• Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    Of course every club picks up injuries but we notice the impact more because we have players like Aneke and Inniss. As they’re guaranteed to spend part of the season out that puts more pressure on those playing. Burstow might not have got injured if we a couple more fit strikers. Lavelle’s injury wouldn’t be as big an issue if Inniss could stay fit.
    Although if Inniss didn't have the injury issues at the beginning of the season, I doubt we would have signed Lavelle at all.

I wouldn't go that far, excluding Deji it meant we had four senior CBs, two for each side. That's the minimum any club needs.
  • I must admit that I have had doubts about the clubs medical team too. We shouldn't be losing so many players for such long periods. Or are we just unlucky ?

We seem to get our fair share of them whether we get more, less or about the same as other league 1 clubs.

Unless. You can get to the bottom of it having 4 injured strikers at the same time, you will never be able to achieve promotion and compete in the division above.

Even when we were briefly in the championship, didn’t we rack up like  15 injured players at the same time, which hurt us big time (we thought it was Bowyers style of play that was causing it).

At this time of day I don’t know what the answer is, you could say not recruiting injured players, but Burstow is just starting out.
    Burstow had bad cramp apparently, I think in the hamstring. I’ve suffered the same when cycling on a steep climb after about sixty miles riding. Really painful. But there are ways of avoiding cramp, by taking salts and hydrating properly. You can even take a preventative pill (Crampex?). Also conditioning helps, so if Mason gets regular starts he should be less prone over time. Too many minutes might not be good for him though. 

• JamesSeed said:
    I must admit that I have had doubts about the clubs medical team too. We shouldn't be losing so many players for such long periods. Or are we just unlucky ?

Burstow had bad cramp apparently, I think in the hamstring. I’ve suffered the same when cycling on a steep climb after about sixty miles riding. Really painful. But there are ways of avoiding cramp, by taking salts and hydrating properly. You can even take a preventative pill (Crampex?). Also conditioning helps, so if Mason gets regular starts he should be less prone over time. Too many minutes might not be good for him though. 

Or us. He isn't ready and as he is no longer our player we ought to be playing Kanu. He is probably not ready either but at least him learning will help us at some point.
  • JamesSeed said:

Burstow had bad cramp apparently, I think in the hamstring. I’ve suffered the same when cycling on a steep climb after about sixty miles riding. Really painful. But there are ways of avoiding cramp, by taking salts and hydrating properly. You can even take a preventative pill (Crampex?). Also conditioning helps, so if Mason gets regular starts he should be less prone over time. Too many minutes might not be good for him though

He should be fine at Chelsea then. 
  • JamesSeed said:

Or us. He isn't ready and as he is no longer our player we ought to be playing Kanu. He is probably not ready either but at least him learning will help us at some point.
    But there a danger he’d score and we’d have to sell him. 
  • edited February 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• Where it feels ridiculous is when the likes of Sam Lavelle pick up an injury for 3+ months

The bloke has even said in interviews before now that he's barely ever been injured until now

So even if we try to avoid another Aneke or Inniss in the world

We're still going to get players who'll get injured.
    Lavelle over stretched going for a ball at Sunderland that he shouldn't have.
    Great shame. 
  • What's happened to CBT? Been out several weeks now, with no news
    Hamstring
  • It is a persistent problem now and has been going on for a good few seasons.

Bad luck or something more fundamental?

Agree with an earlier post that if you sign the likes of Anneke you're asking for trouble but if this pattern continues the consistency required to get out of this league is never going to happen.
  • So that's JFC, CBT, Inniss, Aneke, Washington all out - plus Lavelle, Stockley, Fraser only just returning (the latter two not deemed fit enough to start) all out for weeks and weeks (some way longer), all at the same time - no kind of proper communication that I can find that has ever indicated timelines for returns either (maybe am I being harsh here? seems to be a lot of licking of the finger and sticking in the wind kind of stuff from the club from my perception) 

Is that really just bad luck? Or a curse!?! I will admit I am not exactly up on other teams injuries or whether that is the case for other teams in the league right now, but to me that's 8 (arguably) first choice players unavailable. To me something ain't right there.

We shouldn't hide behind that as an excuse for why we are in the position we have found ourselves in recent weeks, the tactics and set up, the replacements and the effort level has not been right, or good enough, but those are a separate set of issues for another thread

• I suppose you could add Matthews to that list now although whether you want to count that as a negative or not is up to you 
  • So that's JFC, CBT, Inniss, Aneke, Washington all out - plus Lavelle, Stockley, Fraser only just returning (the latter two not deemed fit enough to start) all out for weeks and weeks (some way longer), all at the same time - no kind of proper communication that I can find that has ever indicated timelines for returns either (maybe am I being harsh here? seems to be a lot of licking of the finger and sticking in the wind kind of stuff from the club from my perception) 

Is that really just bad luck? Or a curse!?! I will admit I am not exactly up on other teams injuries or whether that is the case for other teams in the league right now, but to me that's 8 (arguably) first choice players unavailable. To me something ain't right there.

We shouldn't hide behind that as an excuse for why we are in the position we have found ourselves in recent weeks, the tactics and set up, the replacements and the effort level has not been right, or good enough, but those are a separate set of issues for another thread

Look at Sheff Wed today. They had 10 players missing, some who are miles better than JFC or CBT. And they are now in the top 6.
  • edited February 2022
    Ok but compare and contrast, I'm talking about the communication piece more than anything; 

Here's what the Sheff Wed boss had to say updating on injuries;

"Moore said: “In terms of this weekend, Sam Hutchinson has trained, Lewis Gibson has had another week and Dominic Iorfa has come through an under-23s game, which is great.

“Chey Dunkley is back on the training ground with the players and next week we’ll one or two out on the training ground jogging and running."

and then heres what we get ; 

“I don’t know if he’ll (Stockley) be available for the weekend.

“But if he is, he’ll be the only one. Aneke is a bit longer term, Washington is a bit closer. But not any time soon.”

what kind of update is that!?! Again... am I being too harsh here??

Edit to clarify - which response seems to provide clarity, sounds like it has come from a well run, professional outfit with good communication between management and the physio team - and a clear plan by them on a road map to returning players to action, and which looks like it was read off the back of a fag packet?

Hamstring
    After he went off Jacko said 3 weeks ago (5th February)

Jackson explained: “He said when he was opening up and sprinting he was feeling his hamstring a bit. He felt like it would go. I don’t think it actually did but he was feeling it enough that he couldn’t continue.

Which sounds like a relatively minor injury, rather than an actual tear?
    Hamstring
    After he went off Jacko said 3 weeks ago (5th February)

Jackson explained: “He said when he was opening up and sprinting he was feeling his hamstring a bit. He felt like it would go. I don’t think it actually did but he was feeling it enough that he couldn’t continue.

Which sounds like a relatively minor injury, rather than an actual tear?
    sounds a lot like when Stockley was first out and we were told it was a "niggle" then after weeks we find out (from the player himself on a podcast no less) that it was a slipped disk (or something to that effect)  That's kinda what i'm getting at regarding clarity - and also suggests either a lack of communication between the physios and the manager, or, what is more worrying, a casual and passive attitude towards injury management in this club, and CERTAINLY the way it is communicated to the fans. 

Sorry to keep banging this drum but as I said in my OP, I pay to see a professional football team play, preferably at least the majority of the first team - if 80% of the first team are ruled out they don't refund me 80% of the ticket cost do they? It's a bit like paying out to see Elvis Presley and ending up getting Elvis Costello. 

No offence to Elvis Costello fans btw ;)