Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PSA Testing on Sat 19th Feb v Oxford - Booked out, but you can order home test kits

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Result back already, less than 48 hours after I posted it off, very efficient.
    Happily a low score, but then everything 'down there' gets a low score as far as I'm concerned.

Do it, gents, if you're the right age and haven't so far.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Wasn’t sure whether to share this because it can give off mixed messages but decided I should really to put a bit of perspective into what we’ve all been doing and the result’s. I’m 66 and and the PSA came out at 1,52, so not a bad number. This time however they gave me a free to total number as well which being on the low side gave a contrary risk indication according to a bit of Googling. I wasn’t overly concerned albeit I thought a quick chat with somebody was probably the way forward anyway given the letter had said the PSA was green and effectively test again one year later (why wait a year if the FTT is showing a higher risk?). I tried the contact number on the letter but the first 3 times it was only getting a message that nobody was available and to leave a message. I didn’t bother leaving a message on each of those occasions and just thought I’d try later. The 4th time I did leave a message and number. Nobody rang back. I’ve got private health cover so that evening spoke to a GP about the PSA and FTT numbers. Probably not an expert but she gave me the spiel you expect from a GP anyway but said if I did have any concerns I could arrange through my cover to talk to somebody else or alternatively my own GP. I wanted to access to my previous test result the NHS had done in lockdown so I rang the GP number and got the receptionist to switch on that bit on my NHS App (seemed an instant thing for her to do so begs the question why hadn’t they turned that bit on in the first place). She said there were no more appointments that day and to ring after 8.30 next morning. I didn’t bother until the Friday morning but give the GP surgery it’s due a doctor rang back later. I explained the test I’d had and the two numbers. He said they wouldn’t go by those and arranged for me to have a NHS blood test next morning on the Saturday, one week after the one we’d all had at Charlton. The result of that was my PSA was 2.1, still low for my age but a big difference (in my view) from only a week before and none of those things to avoid before a test having been indulged in. He also arranged for an appointment for the Saturday afternoon, stuck his finger up my rear end, said the prostrate was slightly enlarged but that was to be expected at my age, but it wasn’t big enough to cause any symptoms, which I don’t have anyway. He said the good news is it’s smooth- no me neither, I still need to look that one up. I’m not a Doctor or an expert but as I understand it those numbers basically have to be taken as one potential indicator and in context with other indicators, usually symptoms. I suspect there may be a tendency on this thread however to think otherwise and that one PSA number alone is a definitive indicator, one way or the other.  
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    What a bloody great idea.

Well done to those at the club who had the idea and put it into action.