Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread (+ post-match p.13): Charlton vs MK Dons | Pappy John's Trophy | Tues 4th Jan 2022, 7pm

1111213141517»

Comments

• Full Members Cup Final was the first time I saw Charlton at Wembley and thought it was a good day out was still gutted when Hendry scored. The next two Wembley trips were much more memorable.If we get there in the Pizza I will go again 
  • cafctom said:
    Was there, and it was absolutely freezing.

The game was tedious for the most part. Still very happy to qualify and really want us to get to the Final.

Highlight was hearing about 30 MK Dons fans singing “No One Likes Us”
    How does the rest of that chant go.. "we don't care. We are Milton, super Milton, we are Milton of the dons"?? 
    No, it's "we are franchise, super franchise, we're a franchise of the dons".
  • Oh yes, the Full Members Cup Final. Bought a new scarf but a very drab performance from our boys.
  • Scenes.  The cup pinnacle of my Charlton supporting career!
    Were you not at the Full Members Cup Final??
    That was a dismal day to forget - miserable turnout by Charlton fans as well
    We were in exile at Selhurst and had lost a generation of young fans. On reflection it was a pretty decent turnout for a club in decline with no home of its own that probably couldn’t have picked a worse place within the M25 to play it’s games. 
    Didn't help being at Selhurst, a night in the Hippodrome was the highlight of the day.
  • Matthews gets 7.5's and 8's in players marks, i don't get it.... He went on a 25/30 yard run turned around and passed back to keeper! One of his Charltonised specials
  • edited January 2022
    Scenes.  The cup pinnacle of my Charlton supporting career!
    Surely, anyone of the right age would have been there, I was, unfortunately  :)
  • Outnumbered by Blackburn fucking rovers at Wembley was a genuine shameful turnout 
  • I seem to remember Blackburn really had a decent support on the day, and it became a  big day out for them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    Matthews gets 7.5's and 8's in players marks, i don't get it.... He went on a 25/30 yard run turned around and passed back to keeper! One of his Charltonised specials
    I thought he was great last night. Apart from a couple of misplaced passes, didn’t think he put a foot wrong. 
  • Outnumbered by Blackburn fucking rovers at Wembley was a genuine shameful turnout 
    Most of the Charlton stayed at home.

Despite being in the top tier, for good reason they never even went to League games.

#theselloutyears

We were in exile at Selhurst and had lost a generation of young fans. On reflection it was a pretty decent turnout for a club in decline with no home of its own that probably couldn’t have picked a worse place within the M25 to play it’s games. 
    A generation, lol
    We'd only been there for 18 months!
    A generation, lol
    And when the parents and grandparents stopped going, so did the kids
  • seth plum said:
    Is Milton Keynes essentially a new town built around the older place called Bletchley (or something?).
    Actually built around an old village called Milton Keynes and absorbed Bletchley as it expanded. The old village remains surrounded by houses, roundabouts and concrete cows for Red Bulls

• I saw a football app today and it showed the route to Wembley mapped out suggesting there is not a draw. It showed us playing Hartlepool in the next round with the winners playing the winners of Rotherham v Wigan
    A generation, lol
    No doubt that leaving for selhurst had naused a lot of people off that might have gone to Wembley otherwise but the crap turnout was just a continuation iof the crap gates we were getting in the late 70's / early 80's which contributed to the move to selhurst - inertia had set in and had we been getting good gates, maybe investment would have been found to sort the ground out rather than abandon it. The Curbishley years re built that support after years of decline.  
  • that and the fact it was a shit second rate cup, although not quite as bad as the papa johns 
  • I saw a football app today and it showed the route to Wembley mapped out suggesting there is not a draw. It showed us playing Hartlepool in the next round with the winners playing the winners of Rotherham v Wigan
    https://www.efl.com/news/2022/january/papa-johns-trophy-quarter-final-draw-numbers/
  • clive said:
    I saw a football app today and it showed the route to Wembley mapped out suggesting there is not a draw. It showed us playing Hartlepool in the next round with the winners playing the winners of Rotherham v Wigan
    https://www.efl.com/news/2022/january/papa-johns-trophy-quarter-final-draw-numbers/

No.1 in the draw.

New York, New York
    I want to wake up in a city
    That doesn't sleep
    And find that I'm number one
    Top of the list
    Head of the heap
    King of the hill.

So it's away to Rotherham.
  • Sponsored links:

Well, that will not work in the next round
  • Well I was right about Hartlepool 
    Good god, I was.  Thanks for jogging my memory.