Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022-23 UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Options
    shine166 said:
    What's the nations league ? Never heard of this until today 
    Its an International Competition that in short has replaced the majority of friendlies.

We're into the third running now so there have been changes but it started out where something like the top 12 ranked Nations went into Division A, the next 12 rankings went into Division B, Division C etc. with the lowest countries like San Marino and Andorra into Division D.

Those Leagues are basically split into Groups of four teams

Basically its system where the best play each other, and the worst play each other. The worst team from Division A | B | C gets relegated each year, whilst the best teams from B | C | D get promoted - Hence the changes that I mentioned at the beginning now

The four best teams in Division A (the ones that win their Groups), go into a mini-Tournament (Semi-Final | Final) to determine the winners of the competition; England came third in the first year (Portugal won) - France are current holders.

Placings also play a factor in Euro and World Cup Qualification so Nations take it pretty seriously.

Been some very good games so far.
  • Options
    "The Football Association is also planning to use Article 73 to invite a number of under-14 clubs within a 50-mile radius of Wolverhampton to apply for complimentary tickets for the behind-closed-doors fixture against Italy at Molineux on Saturday, 11 June.

However, this is understood to be a much lower number of invitees, with about 2,000 fans expected to attend."

• Options
    "The Football Association is also planning to use Article 73 to invite a number of under-14 clubs within a 50-mile radius of Wolverhampton to apply for complimentary tickets for the behind-closed-doors fixture against Italy at Molineux on Saturday, 11 June.

However, this is understood to be a much lower number of invitees, with about 2,000 fans expected to attend."

Didnt even realise that the game was being held at Molineux
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Really? We got to the semi finals couple years ago.
    Yeah genuinely hadn't. Seen a tout mate selling tickets and couldn't work out why Italy are playing Argentina at Wembley.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Yeah genuinely hadn't. Seen a tout mate selling tickets and couldn't work out why Italy are playing Argentina at Wembley.
    Thats a new competition - Euro winners vs Copa America winners

Nations League is just for European Nations, although there is a CONCACAF version too
  • Options

Fairly near St George's Park, and most club grounds will probably be out of action due to pitches being relaid
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Nations League is just for European Nations, although there is a CONCACAF version too
    I'm so confused 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

I'm so confused 

Wonder if any of the results jog your memory. England’s Nations League matches and results so far:

2020-21:
    England 4-0 Iceland (11/20)
    Belgium 2-0 England (11/20)
    England 0-1 Denmark (10/20)
    England 2-1 Belgium (10/20)
    Denmark 0-0 England (9/20)
    Iceland 0-1 England (9/20)

2018-19:
    Netherlands 3-1 England (after extra time) (6/19)
    England 2-1 Croatia (11/18)
    Spain 2-3 England (10/18)
    Croatia 0-0 England (10/18)
    England 1-2 Spain (9/18)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Both of our home games are.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

I'm so confused 

Wonder if any of the results jog your memory. England’s Nations League matches and results so far:

2020-21:
    England 4-0 Iceland (11/20)
    Belgium 2-0 England (11/20)
    England 0-1 Denmark (10/20)
    England 2-1 Belgium (10/20)
    Denmark 0-0 England (9/20)
    Iceland 0-1 England (9/20)

2018-19:
    Netherlands 3-1 England (after extra time) (6/19)
    England 2-1 Croatia (11/18)
    Spain 2-3 England (10/18)
    Croatia 0-0 England (10/18)
    England 1-2 Spain (9/18)
    Nope, I genuinely think I've blocked out any football higher up the chain that league 1 for my own sanity. 
    I'm not that surprised about the ones that happened during COVID behind closed doors... I barely remember much about those games either but I am shocked that you don't remember at least the semi-final game in Portugal.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The Kane winner at Wembley against Croatia to win the group was quality
  • Options
    Chance for Kane to overtake Rooney as England's top scorer in these 4 games too.  Currently 4 behind.

Feels slightly more likely to happen at the World Cup but you never know.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I had heard of the nations league but only since last year. Don't remember watching it at all though. Was it on Sky last time? 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I had heard of the nations league but only since last year. Don't remember watching it at all though. Was it on Sky last time? 
    That would probably explain it, unless it's on terrestrial TV I've got zero chance of seeing it.
  • Options
    C4 5pm Saturday Hungary v Engand.
  • Options
    England games are going to be on Channel 4 for the Nations League
  • Options
    Poland 0-0 Wales at half time.

Wales team includes Chris Gunter, Matt Smith (the first one, not the second one), Dylan Levitt and Jonny Williams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wales winning. Jonny Williams with the goal.
  • Options
    FT 2-1 Poland. Some bad Welsh defending involved in both Polish goals...
  • Options
  • Options
    I sense after de Bruyne's comments that Belgium weren't too bothered but what a performance from Holland winning 4-1 away.

Having seen the highlights i'm not quite sure why Spurs don't play Bergwijn more, he was brilliant.
  • Options

"Phil Foden has tested positive for Covid and is one of several absentees for England's Nations League opener against Hungary in Budapest.

Centre-backs Fikayo Tomori and Marc Guehi will miss out with minor injuries, while forward Raheem Sterling is a doubt with illness.

Midfielder Foden will also miss Tuesday's away game in Germany."

• Options
    https://youtu.be/iki43V7m8gU

Love these videos 
  • Options

Love these videos 
    Yeah, they’re always a good watch. I’m a sucker for the arrival ones too. 15 minutes of fist bumps and “you alright” 🤣
  • Options

Love these videos 
    Yeah, they’re always a good watch. I’m a sucker for the arrival ones too. 15 minutes of fist bumps and “you alright” 🤣
    They would have been more interesting back in the days of the club "cliques" to see how bad it was!
  • Options
    Armenia 1-0 Ireland a surprise result from earlier today. 
  • Options
    Armenia 1-0 Ireland a surprise result from earlier today. 
    That ain’t a surprise 🤣