Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022-23 UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Options
    5 right backs seems excessive even when you consider that one will be left back and Walker will be at RCB.

As i said above i think Dier has had a decent season, so i think he's unlucky to miss out.

I'd have also given James Maddison a call up, he's had a superb season. Glad that Tomori and Bowen got call ups at last.
  • Options
    5 right backs seems excessive even when you consider that one will be left back and Walker will be at RCB.

As i said above i think Dier has had a decent season, so i think he's unlucky to miss out.

I'd have also given James Maddison a call up, he's had a superb season. Glad that Tomori and Bowen got call ups at last.

I'm not saying Dier and, particularly, Maddison aren't good enough, but who do you leave out to include those two?  I'm not having a dig at you, just wondering who you think they're better than.
  • Options

"Eric is playing in the middle of a back three, which is a specific position," said Southgate. "We may well play with a three or a four and we have cover to do all of those things over the next few weeks.

"We know Eric and we don't know some of these younger ones.

"We can't give everyone time at the moment and we felt that Fikayo [Tomori], Marc [Guehi] and Ben White were worth the investment."

Good enough for me.

• Options
    Trent will only be with the squad for the first week.
    He was given the option by Southgate to have a week off after the Champions League final before joining the squad but he decided to join straight away and then leave early.

Re Maddison, Gareth said he had a good end to the season but he is competing with Mount and Foden for squad space. Unfortunately as much as you want players in, someone has to be left out and it’s always going to be hard on them.

• Options
    4 games in 10 days is great preparation for a tournament.
  • Options
    The England squad will be announced tomorrow for our first 4 games

Games:- 
    Hungary (a), 5pm Saturday 4 June, Puskas Arena, Budapest
    Germany (a), 7.45pm, Tuesday 7 June, Allianz Arena, Munich
    Italy (h), 7.45pm, Saturday 11 June, Molineux, Wolverhampton
    Hungary (h), 7.45pm, Saturday 14 June, Molineux, Wolverhampton

Squad named: 2pm, Tuesday 24 May

While everyone would have seen the celebrations of many England players at Man City winning the league I hope there is a place in the squad for Fikayo Tomori who lifted the Serie A title yesterday.
    Had a big bet of Eric Dier to make England WC squad at 8/1. No Stones or Maguire in the squad so imagine Dier will be back in. Hopefully, the first step into being back in the squad for the WC.
    My good god i hope that's a losing bet.

Stones
    Maguire 
    Tomori
    Guehi
    Walker
    Mings (nearly as bad)
    Cody
    White

All ahead of Dier...
    That's harsh, Dier has had a good season. Would have him ahead of Mings, Coady, Maguire.
  • Options

While everyone would have seen the celebrations of many England players at Man City winning the league I hope there is a place in the squad for Fikayo Tomori who lifted the Serie A title yesterday.
    Had a big bet of Eric Dier to make England WC squad at 8/1. No Stones or Maguire in the squad so imagine Dier will be back in. Hopefully, the first step into being back in the squad for the WC.

Stones
    Maguire 
    Tomori
    Guehi
    Walker
    Mings (nearly as bad)
    Cody
    White

All ahead of Dier...
    That's harsh, Dier has had a good season. Would have him ahead of Mings, Coady, Maguire.
    Maguire is a completely different player when he puts on an England shirt - Would be one of the first names in the team for me, whilst he continues to be so consistent for us. 
  • Options

Stones
    Maguire 
    Tomori
    Guehi
    Walker
    Mings (nearly as bad)
    Cody
    White

All ahead of Dier...
    Maguire is a completely different player when he puts on an England shirt - Would be one of the first names in the team for me, whilst he continues to be so consistent for us. 
    Exactly. There has to be a core group of players for the national team, especially part of a teams spine.
  • Options
    Tbf when you look at that squad nobody can say it isnt mouth watering. Ok the defence might be a bit shaky but IF Southall has learnt from his previous mistakes that team should out score anyone ! Please dont try to defend a 1-0 lead again !!
  • Options
    Rather than questioning why certain high performing players are being left out, I think the mentality should be to applaud the fact that we can put a squad together that is so strong that it is very difficult to get into.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm not saying Dier and, particularly, Maddison aren't good enough, but who do you leave out to include those two?  I'm not having a dig at you, just wondering who you think they're better than.
    Dier instead of Coady. Going into a world cup i'd rather we picked a centre back who is in form and also being tested in the champions league.

Maddison instead of dare i say it Gallagher. Whilst Gallagher had a great season i think he's tailed off a lot in the past couple of months where Maddison has been superb. He has 20 G/A in the league and 30 in all competitions, what more can he do?

However on reflection since yesterday i do realise that Gallagher as an '8' probably fits this squad better than Maddison does as a '10'. 
  • Options
    I get that Dier divides opinion.

As I've said before in the PL thread, he looks so assured as the free man in a back three.  He has marshalled and organised Davies, Romero and Samchez brilliantly since Conte took over.  But all three of his partners have got that turn of pace to cover him.

However, I would feel jittery with him as one of a pair in a back 4.  Thats on previous times of watching him play CB under Poch, Mourinho and Nuno.  But then Conte is key to his form.  I couldnt imagjne him having a season like that under anyone else.

If Southgate goes 3 at the back then Dier should be a shoe in IMHO.

VG, respect your comments usually but blimey to say most of that list has had a better season than Dier?  Stones has played 14 PL out of 38, Dier 35.  Maguire's form has been woeful.  The palace kid has looked promising at times but not even close.  Mings? nope, not even close.  I wouldnt even have Ben White in the same class.  But there you go, all about opinions.

All good for Spurs though.  Think I'd rather him be given the summer off to rest all in all.  

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Rather than questioning why certain high performing players are being left out, I think the mentality should be to applaud the fact that we can put a squad together that is so strong that it is very difficult to get into.
    Absolutely. I’ve posted here before, maybe even on this thread that that is the difference between this England team and any other England team of the past 20 years. 

For years we would pick a solid 17/18 players and then to bring it to 23 we would pick squad players that were ok at best. Now we have a real struggle to name 23 as we have to leave real quality out. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I get that Dier divides opinion.

As I've said before in the PL thread, he looks so assured as the free man in a back three.  He has marshalled and organised Davies, Romero and Samchez brilliantly since Conte took over.  But all three of his partners have got that turn of pace to cover him.

However, I would feel jittery with him as one of a pair in a back 4.  Thats on previous times of watching him play CB under Poch, Mourinho and Nuno.  But then Conte is key to his form.  I couldnt imagjne him having a season like that under anyone else.

If Southgate goes 3 at the back then Dier should be a shoe in IMHO.

VG, respect your comments usually but blimey to say most of that list has had a better season than Dier?  Stones has played 14 PL out of 38, Dier 35.  Maguire's form has been woeful.  The palace kid has looked promising at times but not even close.  Mings? nope, not even close.  I wouldnt even have Ben White in the same class.  But there you go, all about opinions.

All good for Spurs though.  Think I'd rather him be given the summer off to rest all in all.  

I said 'all ahead of Dier', as in the pecking order, which has proven to be correct by Southgate's squad selection.

I didn't mention being more in form or better.
  • Options
    If I’m wrong please correct me, but none of the defenders we have picked play regularly in back 5. Every single one of them play in a back 4. So when Southgate says he want to play with a back 5, you would think he would pick someone who plays in a back 5 regularly?
  • Options
    Bloody right backs every time, i assume trippier will go on the left but still don't think he does well there personally. I have 2 preferred line ups, well what i think will be picked half too. You could argue Tomori for Dier , Ramsdale for Pickford but both are solid for England , similar to Maguire international games seem to suit them

Pickford
    James
    Walker
    Maguire
    Dier
    Trippier 

Rice
    Phillips

Saka
    Kane
    Foden

433:

Pickford
    James, Maguire, Dier, Trippier
    Phillips, Rice, Mount
    Saka, Kane, Foden

Again the beauty of it all, there is alot of options so the team isn't set. I would assume Phillips is most at risk and maybe dier as Tomori has been so good this year, so maybe the time to try and get him to form a partnership. 
  • Options
    If I’m wrong please correct me, but none of the defenders we have picked play regularly in back 5. Every single one of them play in a back 4. So when Southgate says he want to play with a back 5, you would think he would pick someone who plays in a back 5 regularly?
    James does, Dier also 
  • Options
    Bloody right backs every time, i assume trippier will go on the left but still don't think he does well there personally. I have 2 preferred line ups, well what i think will be picked half too. You could argue Tomori for Dier , Ramsdale for Pickford but both are solid for England , similar to Maguire international games seem to suit them

Pickford
    James
    Walker
    Maguire
    Dier
    Trippier 

Rice
    Phillips

Saka
    Kane
    Foden

433:

Pickford
    Phillips, Rice, Mount
    Saka, Kane, Foden

Again the beauty of it all, there is alot of options so the team isn't set. I would assume Phillips is most at risk and maybe dier as Tomori has been so good this year, so maybe the time to try and get him to form a partnership. 
    As good as they are in a '3', they'd be absolutely horrendous together as a pairing in a back 4.
  • Options

Pickford
    James
    Walker
    Maguire
    Dier
    Trippier 

Rice
    Phillips

Saka
    Kane
    Foden

433:

Pickford
    Phillips, Rice, Mount
    Saka, Kane, Foden

As good as they are in a '3', they'd be absolutely horrendous together as a pairing in a back 4.
    Fair point, realised afterwards. Think different pairing if a back 4, i'd like to see Tomori plus 1 but not sure if Southgate will give a proper crack he would be perfect in either for me. 
  • Options
    I honestly don't see Southgate changing to a back 4, simply because we don't have 2 really good dominant centre backs. The 3 kind of gives us the extra cover.

Southgate seems to be a creature of habit and it's served him well, so at the world cup barring injuries i think we'll have:

Pickford

Walker, Maguire, Stones
    James                                       Chilwell

Rice Phillips

Sterling Kane Foden

I think someone would have to have an amazing start to next season to displace any of those if they're all fit.

When you consider that means leaving out the likes of Ramsdale, Dier, Tomori, TAA, Henderson, Bellingham, Mount, Saka, Grealish, Bowen we've got some pretty good strength in depth.
    Then there's the likes of Shaw, Sancho and Rashford who have been way off form but could be rejuvenated under Ten Hag.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I think Southgate has seen enough of Dier to know that this form is rather temporary than permanent (maybe 3 good months at the start of next season may prove me wrong)

I dont think Coady will play and he's in there to help players like Guehi, Tomori, White.

Walker, Stones, Maguire will start regardless of their domestic form. Those three were exceptional in the Euros.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    blimey says alot when i am leaving out Sterling who in the past i have defended and said he is a key player for England, maybe put him in for Saka just the first name that jumped out RW and following the Euros. We need to fit in sterling definitely.

FWIW Chilwell gets in my team if he was selected but he isn't this time round, same as Shaw ahead of Trips or any other LWB we have
  • Options
    The strength in depth is fantastic in every position for England - with the exception of a lead striker IMO.

Harry Kane is the first name on the team sheet, and rightly so. However, I do find it a bit concerning the lack of players coming through who could one day replace him. I expect he only has one or two tournaments left at his peak ability.

The likes of Rashford, Abraham, Watkins etc. They’re just not anywhere near that level. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    cafctom said:
    The strength in depth is fantastic in every position for England - with the exception of a lead striker IMO.

Harry Kane is the first name on the team sheet, and rightly so. However, I do find it a bit concerning the lack of players coming through who could one day replace him. I expect he only has one or two tournaments left at his peak ability.

The likes of Rashford, Abraham, Watkins etc. They’re just not anywhere near that level. 
    I feel like apart from France its a position most nations struggle with. World class strikers are very rare. Look at Spain, Germany, Portugal (Ronaldo getting on a bit) they don't really have any. Even Kane was a fairly late bloomer.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    cafctom said:

I feel like apart from France its a position most nations struggle with. World class strikers are very rare. Look at Spain, Germany, Portugal (Ronaldo getting on a bit) they don't really have any. Even Kane was a fairly late bloomer.
    Frustratingly, England have always been able to have a world class striker in the side - without ever being able to win anything with them in the last 30 years.

Before Kane came along we had Rooney, Owen, Shearer and Lineker. 

I guess the game has evolved tactically nowadays where there is a greater focus on developing goal scoring threats from midfield/roaming type players. Spain managed to win a tournament without a recognised striker from what I recall.
  • Options
    I honestly don't see Southgate changing to a back 4, simply because we don't have 2 really good dominant centre backs. The 3 kind of gives us the extra cover.

Southgate seems to be a creature of habit and it's served him well, so at the world cup barring injuries i think we'll have:

Pickford

Walker, Maguire, Stones
    James                                       Chilwell

Rice Phillips

Sterling Kane Foden

I think someone would have to have an amazing start to next season to displace any of those if they're all fit.

When you consider that means leaving out the likes of Ramsdale, Dier, Tomori, TAA, Henderson, Bellingham, Mount, Saka, Grealish, Bowen we've got some pretty good strength in depth.
    Then there's the likes of Shaw, Sancho and Rashford who have been way off form but could be rejuvenated under Ten Hag.
    I think that would be my team aswell. I’m not a huge fan of Rice/Phillips together so I’d quite like to see Bellingham continue his development and maybe grab a spot. 

Honestly can’t see Rashford coming back but hope Sancho kicks on. 
  • Options
    Italy v England being played at the San Siro in September. So jealous as can’t go and would have love to see a game at that stadium. 
  • Options
    I lost out in the ballot for Germany away so will definitely be doing everything I can for Italy.
  • Options
    What's the nations league ? Never heard of this until today