Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will we make the playoffs?

Comments

• Options
    Let's see where we are in the new year. I suppose a big factor is the question 'How good are we compared to the others?'. I think personally our midfield is top, our defence top three and likewise our attack. We have good cover but not in every position so injuries to Pearce and the suspension of Stockley really exposed us. We can't afford that to be repeated although we do have a window, I can't see how we can easily cover Stockley and he is key.

Of the three midfielders, I think Lee is probably the easiest to cover but I'm not sure who can do the job he does within the current squad. Maybe JFC would not weaken the midfield but how far away is he from being 100%? That may be the case all of this season. Gilbey and Dobson are incredibly difficult to cover. So it is precarious but if these key players stay fit, I can see us going on an even better run than we have done.

We also should analyse what Morecombe and Shrewsbury did to us. I think they played like an away team getting bodies behind the ball which would not have worked with Stockley on the pitch IMO. Morecombe benefitted from Pearce not being there too and some slack defending. Shrewsbury benefitted from a terrible miss by the ref, with that clear push on Dobson but it was clear how much these players were missed. We have about five or six that we simply can't replace, and whilst you can get away with it for one or two games, you can't for a sustained period, especially when opponents curb their ambition.

So it does boil down to keeping key players fit. Removing Pearce and Stockley took 20% off us in key areas. If we keep Stockley fit and Pearce can be covered with a fit centre half, and likewise our midfield three, a run that will get us into the play offs is, I would say, Likely rather than just possible. 

Our start does require an 'IF' though. Thanks Adkins.
    Some targeted reinforcements?

I’m optimistic of top third and there’s a chance of better. What’s going on outside of football may also have an impact - it’s not inconceivable that games might move back to a no fans in stadiums scenario and it’s difficult to work out how that might impact. I think CAFC and JJ would take it in their stride however there were some bloody odd results last year!
    Let’s hope not.

And all assuming Sandgaard doesn’t do something unexpected re the manager! I was a sceptic but JJ has more than demonstrated his ability and potential.
  • Options
    I still think not because we’ve left ourselves too much to do. We’ll face a slump in form, injuries and will need other clubs to blow up. All too much. 6th is possible but it’s going to be very difficult. 
  • Options
    I still think not because we’ve left ourselves too much to do. We’ll face a slump in form, injuries and will need other clubs to blow up. All too much. 6th is possible but it’s going to be very difficult. 
    6th will do 😀
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    6th will do 😀

Agreed - and I firmly believe that if we do make the play-offs we will have another victorious day at Wembley.
  • Options
    Yes we will. Scoring goals and keeping clean sheets. Yesterday showed that we can matches when the opposition come to make things difficult.

Sunderland better hope they finish in the top 2.
  • Options
    Yesterday we passed the first milestone in my view. We are now nearer the Playoffs 8 points than relegation 10 points. 

My next signpost is to get within five points of the playoffs during the transfer window.

If we can do that, then I believe it is possible. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    The more draws in everyone else’s games the better?

and by that I also mean we can gain by impact of who plays who. There isn’t a huge spread of points from top to relegation 
  • Options
    You'd think at the moment that it will most likely be two from Oxford, Wednesday and Pompey to make the playoffs (alongside the current top 4), to outwin two of these teams  will require almost 2 points per game, even the champions rarely do that over a season, at the moment I'd say the likelihood of achieving it is 15% .
    10 points from the next 4 games required to demonstrate we have what it takes.
  • Options
    Before the Cambridge game I felt if we could achieve 3 wins from Cambridge, Plymouth, Wimbledon and Gillingham it would set us up for the second half of the season. Plus rearrange the squad with some key position signings and we are in the hunt for the 6th spot.

I think it is doable providing we strengthen the squad in January.    
  • Options
    No we cannot. You can not throw 25% of the season away by not completing the squad until a month into the season and then spend weeks getting those players near to match fit before they started to show some form. 
    then in the meantime not know what will be their best positions in the team and have them in and out of the match day squad like yo yo`s.
    What Jackson has shown me was that my condemnation of the ability of the players early in the season was  unjustified.
    if they continue to perform as they are then a secure midtable finish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No chance, but I’d back us to win the league next year! 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    No we cannot. You can not throw 25% of the season away by not completing the squad until a month into the season and then spend weeks getting those players near to match fit before they started to show some form. 
    then in the meantime not know what will be their best positions in the team and have them in and out of the match day squad like yo yo`s.
    What Jackson has shown me was that my condemnation of the ability of the players early in the season was  unjustified.
    If they continue to perform as they are, the form table indicates it will be far better than mid table 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    But the team is mid-table now. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Small chance but it won’t happen and even if we do I expect failure in the play offs 

1 success winner 1987
    1 failure semi final loser 1996
    1 success 1998
    2 failures semi final loser 2010 semi final loser 2018
    1 success winner 2019

1 or 3 semi final losers coming next on my chart pattern 
  • Options
    If we average 2 points a game for the rest of the season (unlikely), we'll end up on 77 points.

MK Dons, in 9th place, have 35 points from 21 games. If they maintain that average, they'll end up on .........    77 points!

The top 9 have pulled away from the rest of the division, and most of them are continuing to do well.  In fact, although we've got 10 points from our last 5 games, 7 out of the top 8 have done better than that. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table 
    So, in order to make the playoffs, we'll need to consistently achieve champion's form, and hope that at least 4 of the top 9 fall apart.  I can't see both those things happening.

Unless we put together a run of about 10 consecutive wins, I think that the best we can achieve is about 8th place.  Better away form is crucial if I am to be proved wrong.  There are clearly a lot of good teams in League One this year - better than last season.

• Options
    Nobody said it would be easy but we are a decent side now and can absolutely do it.
  • Options
    danny777 said:
    If we average 2 points a game for the rest of the season (unlikely), we'll end up on 77 points.

MK Dons, in 9th place, have 35 points from 21 games. If they maintain that average, they'll end up on .........    77 points!

The top 9 have pulled away from the rest of the division, and most of them are continuing to do well.  In fact, although we've got 10 points from our last 5 games, 7 out of the top 8 have done better than that. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/table 
    So, in order to make the playoffs, we'll need to consistently achieve champion's form, and hope that at least 4 of the top 9 fall apart.  I can't see both those things happening.

Unless we put together a run of about 10 consecutive wins, I think that the best we can achieve is about 8th place.  Better away form is crucial if I am to be proved wrong.  There are clearly a lot of good teams in League One this year - better than last season.

Those 7 out of the top 8 cannot all keep that up as they will have to play each other.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    danny777 said:

Those 7 out of the top 8 cannot all keep that up as they will have to play each other.
    And us
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    danny777 said:

And us
    Exactly… we can go with 5 of the top 6 continuing in good heart and beating everybody except us. Then everybody above us drawing when the play each other. This will get us 6th place. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    We are playing the 6th placed team this weekend. It's possible that we'll only be 5 points off the playoffs come Saturday evening.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think we’ve the right squad to gain the playoffs and yesterday exposed our lack of decent players waiting in the wings.  When Shockley is suspended or injured we lose the threat of scoring goals.
  • Options
    Genuinely can't understand those people saying no. If we were 8 points off in March then fair enough, but there's more than half the season to go.

We've got Inniss (don't laugh), Lavelle and JFC to come back and we're also in a good position to strengthen the squad whereas a lot of other league one sides might not have the money. 
  • Options
    Genuinely can't understand those people saying no. If we were 8 points off in March then fair enough, but there's more than half the season to go.

We've got Inniss (don't laugh), Lavelle and JFC to come back and we're also in a good position to strengthen the squad whereas a lot of other league one sides might not have the money. 
    People will get bored of the comparison, and whilst its difficult to pinpoint due to the lateness of the season starting and COVID - But this is how the League table looked for Blackpool after they'd played 22-games

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55713923

They had three games in hand on us to make up nine points (rather than level on games played like this season) - But they got into third having lost 3-games | and drew a further 7-games from that point of the season.

For Oxford, they were six points behind us (with three games in hand) after 22-games

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55713919

They lost another 8-games | and drew 4-games to finish where we need to end up, worst case scenario.

Basically looks like we can afford to drop points in roughly 11-games between now and the end of the season.
  • Options
    All this negativity!!!!! Its simple really if we can maintain current form for the rest of the season then yes we will no doubt about it. As I said earlier I think we will finish on around 89 points 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    All this negativity!!!!! Its simple really if we can maintain current form for the rest of the season then yes we will no doubt about it. As I said earlier I think we will finish on around 89 points 
    There are 24 games left, so 72 points available and we need 60 to get to 89. You seriously think we're only going to drop 12 points between now and May? Did we turn into Man City?

That's basically something like W19 D3 L2.
  • Options
    I remain optimistic we can squeeze into play offs.......need to sign another striker who can step in for stockley when needed
  • Options
    Regardless of what the gap is right now, 46 points from 24 games will do it. It’s a big ask but this squad is proving that it’s possible.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    There are 24 games left, so 72 points available and we need 60 to get to 89. You seriously think we're only going to drop 12 points between now and May? Did we turn into Man City?

That's basically something like W19 D3 L2.
    I did say if we can maintain our current form ( which I think we can ) have u seen 4 teams that you think will beat us ? 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I'll donate £100 to a charity of your choosing if we get 89+ points
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I'll donate £100 to a charity of your choosing if we get 89+ points
    Ok and I will do the same if we dont. Keeps it interesting 😉