Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will we make the playoffs?

Comments

• Options
    We'll stutter and finish 8th or 9th
  • Options
    It's 10 points but every team in the playoffs has at least one game in hand against us, so easily could be 11 or 13. Amazing to think our run under Jackson could have brought us no closer to the top 6.

I think we'll make a good fist of it - need to beat our playoff rivals and hope for them to slip up. 
  • Options
    Probably not but from where we were, anywhere in the top half would have to be regarded as an achievement. 

Make a real go of the FA Cup would be my bottom line and it looks as if JJ has every intention of going for it. 
  • Options
    Very unlikely, but it is about us not other teams. 50 points needed from 25 games. This is title winning form. Possible but unlikely. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    What's happened when more teams sit deep, and there is no space to run into ?

What happens when Dobson misses games and Watson( Adkins thought he was our best player ?) comes into the team and we are off the pace ?

Fantastic under JJ with 21 shots and ten on target BUT despite the keeper being superb we won't make the play offs with a 20% conversion rate. (10 on target and mainly saves by the keeper !)

To go from 22th to 6th would be one of the greatest achievement ever by Cafc in the 3rd tier :100+ points was decent  B

Will need a magic January window to bring in the fit striker ready to play when Jayden and Conor need a rest because of burn out or to save them playing when only 75% fit. 

So exciting after the first low key 20 minutes when the sparing took place before we dominated.

We can make the playoffs but how about we get into the top half of the table first and we have a full time manager, not just a head coach who has only a small say in transfers.
    Forget the Brentford model, they don't have an academy and we are the polar opposite to that.

• Options
    bookies odds range from 6/1 to 8/1 which may be about right 
  • Options
    The Plymouth, Rotheram and Ipswich performances were that of a top two side. Maintain that and with some luck along the way 6th is possible.  We really can’t afford another Morecombe/ Shrewsbury blip. 
  • Options
    Of course we can and we will. My prediction is we sneak into 6th place in the last game or two of the season and win the play offs. I hope so anyway as I had £30 on us when Jack’s took charge at 33 to 1 to go up 
  • Options
    It is going to be close but we can do it.
  • Options
    The Plymouth, Rotheram and Ipswich performances were that of a top two side. Maintain that and with some luck along the way 6th is possible.  We really can’t afford another Morecombe/ Shrewsbury blip. 
    Thats the thing, I can see us having at least another half-dozen sub par games where we drop points. That will probably be what causes us to miss out. 

Then you just look at how much time NA got, and the difference binning him off after the Bolton game might have made. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What happens when Dobson misses games and Watson( Adkins thought he was our best player ?) comes into the team and we are off the pace ?

Fantastic under JJ with 21 shots and ten on target BUT despite the keeper being superb we won't make the play offs with a 20% conversion rate. (10 on target and mainly saves by the keeper !)

To go from 22th to 6th would be one of the greatest achievement ever by Cafc in the 3rd tier :100+ points was decent  B

Will need a magic January window to bring in the fit striker ready to play when Jayden and Conor need a rest because of burn out or to save them playing when only 75% fit. 

So exciting after the first low key 20 minutes when the sparing took place before we dominated.

We can make the playoffs but how about we get into the top half of the table first and we have a full time manager, not just a head coach who has only a small say in transfers.
    Forget the Brentford model, they don't have an academy and we are the polar opposite to that.

So is that a yes or a no ?
  • Options
    I think we will and if this momentum can continue with the odd defeat every 6 games, I think we could push higher still. All those top sides will have a rough spell. Ours was very rough and hopefully we have seen the last of it this season…
  • Options
    We could quite easily be top 10 starting the New Year. We are gonna need 50 points + from our remaining games though. 
  • Options
    But realistically, there is definitely going to be at least one and probably more. That's not a dig at JJ or anything, just acknowledging that bad days at the office (or on the pitch) do happen and will continue to happen. 
  • Options
    Yes I think we'll sneak in
  • Options
    Sadly no.

Our start to the season was horrendous and has left us too far behind the teams at the top of the table. And sadly there are some good teams up there at the moment who I fear are not going to lose too many games.

For us to qualify, we need to put in performances like last nights all the time. There's no way players can play with that level of intensity all season. Sadly there are likely to be a few more Shrewsbury performances along the way.

We go up as Champions next year!
  • Options
    yes we will and then get another Wembley win
  • Options
    shine166 said:

So is that a yes or a no ?

I would prefer to say no, as we don't have much wriggle room after the limp performances under Nigel Adkins and JJ taking over when we were below the gutter.

Momentum is with us but if just a couple of players miss fire then similar to Shrewsbury we can drop points.

Last night was the best I had felt when leaving the Valley since the Derby 3-0 win and young Gallagher scored the screamer at the Covered end. 

I missed the Plymouth game.
  • Options
    50/50 I reckon .. We need to go on a Huddersfield type unbeaten run to make it, I reckon. But, it's doable 
  • Options
    Looking back 10 seasons (excluding 19/20) the most points required for 6th place was 74 and the least was 69.
    So somewhere between 43 and 48 more points needed from 25 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     think it will depend on the jan transfer window activity. First game of the season last night and great performance as it was at 75-80 mins was saying this will be typical Charlton - will pay for not getting the second by conceding an equaliser. Think we need a poacher who can kill games off when we’re on too and playing. Either brought in or Burstow gets his chance 
  • Options
    Not impossible but I don't think so, I think we'll end up being about 4 or 5 points short.

Get the recruitment right in the summer though and I'll predict top 2 next season. 
    This...close but no cigar...
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    50/50 I reckon .. We need to go on a Huddersfield type unbeaten run to make it, I reckon. But, it's doable 

It would be best to win 4 and lose 1 than 3 wins and 2 draws. ( Eat your heart out Rachel Riley ) :)
  • Options
    It struck me yesterday that apart from Leko we had nobody on the bench I'd want to see brought on, and indeed nobody was. I know we have injuries but that needs to be addressed, especially in the forward department. Unless Burstow/Kanu emerge rapidly 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Reaching the play offs is possible. We have to play all the teams between us and sixth place at least once again this season, which in someways is double bubble if we win them.

Since Jackson took over we have climbed 9 places in 7 games. To reach the play offs we need to climb 8 places in 25 games. I know it gets harder you higher you climb but it remains a definite possibility.
  • Options
    I can't see it. We're still 10 points away after a great run. Outside chance if we can add 1 or 2 in January but I can't see anything higher than around 9th. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    But realistically, there is definitely going to be at least one and probably more. That's not a dig at JJ or anything, just acknowledging that bad days at the office (or on the pitch) do happen and will continue to happen. 
    Those games will also happen for everyone else as well

Whilst we can be disappointed whenever a Morecambe or Shrewsbury happens

We should also remember that no team will win every game between now and the end of the season.

What is important is that we do it less times than those above us.

And even more importantly, we do manage to beat the teams above us, as that'll hurt them even more.
  • Options
    We will fail to make the playoffs. It will be despite a late downturn in form towards the back end of the season. 

The poor run off results will be due to fixture congestion due to cup semi finals and finals. 

But the run won't be so dramatic that we fall out of the top two. As a result we will only have two trips to Wembley this season. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Those games will also happen for everyone else as well

Whilst we can be disappointed whenever a Morecambe or Shrewsbury happens

We should also remember that no team will win every game between now and the end of the season.

What is important is that we do it less times than those above us.

And even more importantly, we do manage to beat the teams above us, as that'll hurt them even more.
    True but I don't see us having a good enough run for long enough to overcome the gap we're facing. Even with the excellent form we have right now we've not actually closed the gap to the play offs very much.

It's a step too far this season I think. But until its mathematically impossible it should be a target, just acknowledged to be ambitious not realistic. 
  • Options
    A win on Saturday and I'd say yes. If we get that then I feel we will get a good run of results over Christmas and New Year as well, confidence will be even higher.
    If that good run happens over the Christmas games, then TS may dip into his pot of gold and add some willing recruits to bolster the forwards.