Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will we make the playoffs?

Comments

• Options
    7 points from our last 5 games I think.  I can't see us getting near the play offs.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I believe a run that ended Adkins time in the job, rather than the one got Jackson the role is coming. Today was so fucking awful, stay up, not go up from that performance. Maybe Thomas,s delay was more astute than we thought…
  • Options
    I believe a run that ended Adkins time in the job, rather than the one got Jackson the role is coming. Today was so fucking awful, stay up, not go up from that performance. Maybe Thomas,s delay was more astute than we thought…
    What, you were banging on about promotion a couple of weeks ago. Lump on lump on.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    The Shrewsbury and Morecambe games were a big blow as you're then depending on picking up points away to Portsmouth etc.  There's very little room to drop any points and I'm not sure the current squad is capable of going on the kind of run required. It's a very big ask
  • Options
    Im thinking its a bridge too far now, we would need to be on championship winning form from this point on and I don't see that happening. I think we will see 4 or 5 more "shrewsbury away" type performances before the end of the season Im afraid. But you know what, that's fine, we have the right manager in charge in now. 

Unfortunately the Adkins run at the start of the season has basically written off the rest of it, but we can just use this point on as a dress rehearsal for next season, and lessons will have been learned to make sure it doesn't happen again next time. 

Hopefully we will do our usual 3rd season in L1 promotion routine.

But still....8 seasons in league one since 2010, bloody hell. I really hate this league. 
  • Options
    No.

We will finish between 8th & 10th

Posted 10 days ago & today had just firmed up my opinion. Might push it out to be finishing 10th to 12th. 

We are actually in a bit of a false position due to most teams having played less games than us. Lose to Wimbledon on Boxing Day & with their games in hand they could be above us soon, along with 2 or 3 other teams. 

Our points tally will be around 68-70 points.
  • Options
    I can’t see it now but not giving up entirely but it’s going to take amazing form from here on in to achieve it. If Atkins had left a few weeks earlier then maybe but JJ was left with too much to do. Next season the aim has to be top two.
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    From the 'Adkins out' thread ... Oct 17.

We've got four threads now, all discussing the same issue.

For me, it distils down to this:

We have a collection of average League 1 players, most of whom are underperforming.  Add to that some kids who aren't good enough and we find our natural level ... bottom half of the table.  Why would anyone expect anything different?  It's merely wishful thinking to imagine anything else.

Sandgaard needs to start again.  His first year has been shambolic.

He needs to clear out all of his misplaced appointments, take the hit to his pocket and do it properly next time.  That means recruiting proper football people, not David Brent types who operate with spreadsheets and laser pointers.  Simply replacing Adkins doesn't fix the problem.  No new manager is going to transform this squad of mediocre League 1 players.  Roddy, Gallen etc are all part of the problem, and their time is done. 

And, if Sandgaard doesn't have the money to do that ... remembering that getting promotion out of League 1 was probably the easy bit of his foolishly-stated five-year plan ... then he needs to find some investor partners, or sell up to someone who knows what they are doing and who has the dosh to do it.

Don't forget that we still have the legacy of ground and training ground ownership to deal with. 

Of course, I'm eternally grateful that Sandgaard saved us ... but that doesn't gloss over the fact that he has underestimated the cost of his dream and that he has failed to appoint people who he can rely on to deliver in a sphere which he knows nothing about.

You need help, Thomas.  You need to speak to the right people and you need to fix this shambles ... or sell up and go back to the World you know which is ... remind me ... pain relief?

Quite ironic really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need 40 points + from the second half of the season. Can't see it.
  • Options
    I was a believer until the Plymouth game
  • Options
    I had a feeling we would lose at Plymouth. I can’t see us getting anywhere near the playoffs given the already-sizeable points difference. I even cashed out my significant bets on us to finish in the top half - that’s how concerned I am about our ability to push on from here. Hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    No we won't, and not just because of Adkins.  There is less quality in this squad than at the end of last season. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    No we won't, and not just because of Adkins.  There is less quality in this squad than at the end of last season. 
    Yep. This squad has a big Chuks Aneke sized hole in it.
    Yes it's next to the JFC sized one. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    I had a feeling we would lose at Plymouth. I can’t see us getting anywhere near the playoffs given the already-sizeable points difference. I even cashed out my significant bets on us to finish in the top half - that’s how concerned I am about our ability to push on from here. Hope I am wrong.
    I'm hanging in there on the top half bets, basically think a couple of decent January signings should help.
  • Options
    Currently we have Played 23 Points 29. At the least we need to end Played 46 Points 75.

So: 46 points required from 23 games.

This is how it could break:

26-21-21 AFC W – A – W
    29-12-21 Gilling – H – W
    01-01-22 Wyc W – H – D
    08-01-22 Crew A – A – W
    15-01-22 Chel Tn – A – D
    22-01-22 Fleet T – H – W
    31-01-22 Portsm – A – D
    05-02-22 AFC W – H – W
    08-02-22 Bolt W – A – W
    12-02-22 Wign A – A – L
    19-02-22 Oxfo U – H – D
    22-02-22 Mil KD – H – D
    26-02-22 Shef W – A – D
    05-03-22 Sunder – H – L
    12-03-22 Accrin – A – W
    19-03-22 Burt A – H – W
    26-03-22 Donca – A – W
    02-04-22 Linc C – H – W
    09-04-22 Roth U – A – L
    15-04-22 Morec – H – W
    18-04-22 Cam U – A – W
    23-04-22 Shrew – H – W
    30-04-22 Ipsw T  – A – D  

Current verdict: Unlikely

• Options
    Currently we have Played 23 Points 29. At the least we need to end Played 46 Points 75.

So: 46 points required from 23 games.

This is how it could break:

26-21-21 AFC W – A – W
    29-12-21 Gilling – H – W
    01-01-22 Wyc W – H – D
    08-01-22 Crew A – A – W
    15-01-22 Chel Tn – A – D
    22-01-22 Fleet T – H – W
    31-01-22 Portsm – A – D
    05-02-22 AFC W – H – W
    08-02-22 Bolt W – A – W
    12-02-22 Wign A – A – L
    19-02-22 Oxfo U – H – D
    22-02-22 Mil KD – H – D
    26-02-22 Shef W – A – D
    05-03-22 Sunder – H – L
    12-03-22 Accrin – A – W
    19-03-22 Burt A – H – W
    26-03-22 Donca – A – W
    02-04-22 Linc C – H – W
    09-04-22 Roth U – A – L
    15-04-22 Morec – H – W
    18-04-22 Cam U – A – W
    23-04-22 Shrew – H – W
    30-04-22 Ipsw T  – A – D  

Current verdict: Unlikely

Looking at that the end of February will be a good guide. 
  • Options
    PPG over season so far at exactly the half way point = 1.2
    PPG over the last 5 = 1.4.

So, no.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nope. lets focus on the cup competitions instead.
  • Options
    Nope. Mid table finish
  • Options
    Can't see it to be fair. Rubbish start and although playing well in certain games we show no signs of going on any kind of run. Another season in third division I'm afraid, and yet another rebuild on the summer.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    PPG over season so far at exactly the half way point = 1.2
    PPG over the last 5 = 1.4.

So, no.
    PPG over the last 10 (since Jacko took over) = 2.0

Repeat that over the next 23 and we are comfortably top six. Not saying it will happen like that, form will come and go. 

We will have five game spells with seven points (1.4 ppg) and we will have five game spells with 12-13 points (2.4-2.6 ppg). It will be very close but it’s not impossible.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

• Options
    I think we all know the answer now.
  • Options
    unfortunately , it’s becoming more obvious it’s a no.

however, there’s plenty of twists and turns yet to come - but it’s heavily reliant on other teams , never mind us sorting results to benefit us!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Repeating what I said on the post-match thread here. The league season is over now for me, but lets use the January window to put together a strong team ahead of next season. Hopefully come August we can hit the ground running this time and avoid the shambles that was last summer.

In the meantime it would be nice to try and win the pizza trophy, its probably the only thing we can realistically go for now and another Wembley day out would be great. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I think we all know the answer now.
    I think in all honesty it was probably a no before today anyway. I’ve heard a lot about us having a big squad, but after the “best XI” there isn’t much quality at all.  Its all about getting together a promotion challenging squad for next season - pretty depressing really as we are only half way through the season. 
  • Options
    No chance, lacking quality I'm afraid.