Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will we make the playoffs?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Regardless of what the gap is right now, 46 points from 24 games will do it. It’s a big ask but this squad is proving that it’s possible.
    Split the 24 games into three blocks of eight. We need 15.33 points per game from those eight games so that's five wins or four wins and three draws for 15.

Next eight:

Plymouth (A)
    Wimbledon (A)
    Gillingham (H)
    Wycombe (H)
    Cheltenham (A)
    Fleetwood (H)
    Portsmouth (A)
    Wimbledon (H)

I would hope that three wins would come from Gillingham, Fleetwood and Wimbledon at home. Then we need to find two wins or a win and three draws from Plymouth, Wimbledon, Cheltenham, Portsmouth away & Wycombe at home.
  • Options
    I have said before,we have good players coming back soon from injury(how long they stay fit who knows)we will have strength in depth in defence and midfield,maybe a bit light up front,but we will have a bigger squad than most to cope with  the relentless fixture list coming up.Others all on good runs now will all have bad runs,they always do,we have hopefully had ours at the start,we can do it.
  • Options
    Top 6 by Easter imo.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    All this negativity!!!!! Its simple really if we can maintain current form for the rest of the season then yes we will no doubt about it. As I said earlier I think we will finish on around 89 points 
    There are 24 games left, so 72 points available and we need 60 to get to 89. You seriously think we're only going to drop 12 points between now and May? Did we turn into Man City?

That's basically something like W19 D3 L2.
    I did say if we can maintain our current form ( which I think we can ) have u seen 4 teams that you think will beat us ? 
    We just dropped 4 points to Morecambe and Shrewsbury! 

We still have to go away to the likes of Wigan, Rotherham, Sheff Weds, Portsmouth. We'll drop a few points along the way for sure but if we keep winning our home games we've got a great chance.

Personally i feel we can get to somewhere around 77-79 points. 48-50 points from 24 games. Not good enough for top 2 but certainly i think 5th or 6th is achievable.
  • Options
    Yup but morecambe was a bit of a freak result imo and Shrewsbury well we just didnt get the run of the ball, the ref didnt help, and it was daylight robbery. Yes we dropped points but we were a couple of key players light and I think the team learnt big lessons from those games.
    I'm not saying it will be easy but it's not impossible that this squad can put a run together. Apart from Rotherham I have seen nobody that I dont think we would beat 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Yup but morecambe was a bit of a freak result imo and Shrewsbury well we just didnt get the run of the ball, the ref didnt help, and it was daylight robbery. Yes we dropped points but we were a couple of key players light and I think the team learnt big lessons from those games.
    I'm not saying it will be easy but it's not impossible that this squad can put a run together. Apart from Rotherham I have seen nobody that I dont think we would beat 
    You're absolutely right of course we can, we're doing it now.

But we will inevitably get more freak results along the way, and we're only a Dobson, Purrington or Stockley (3 players with no suitable backup) injury away from the season going pear shaped.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    You're absolutely right of course we can, we're doing it now.

But we will inevitably get more freak results along the way, and we're only a Dobson, Purrington or Stockley (3 players with no suitable backup) injury away from the season going pear shaped.
    We need another striker and another mobile holding player , unless JFC gets up to speed quickly .  Souare’s cameo on Saturday showed what having someone with good delivery on that side could offer .  
  • Options
    minimum 40 points now needed based on past 10 seasons. (40 min, 45 max)
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    All this negativity!!!!! Its simple really if we can maintain current form for the rest of the season then yes we will no doubt about it. As I said earlier I think we will finish on around 89 points 
    I'll donate £100 to a charity of your choosing if we get 89+ points
    I’ll donate £100 to the upbeats if we make 79 points 
  • Options
    So the minimum we need is:

14 wins 10 defeats = 42 points
    13 wins 1 draw 10 defeats = 40 points
    12 wins 4 draws 8 defeats = 40 points
    11 wins 7 draws 6 defeats = 40 points
    10 wins 10 draws 4 defeats = 40 points
    9 wins 13 draws 2 defeats = 40 points
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally I think the playoffs are beyond us this season. 
    That doesn't mean we shouldn't give ourselves a chance with a good transfer window. 
    Offload Arter Soaure and Davison 
    Bring in another striker and centre half and give JJ the job full time and hope for the best. 
  • Options
    40 points gets us to 69 points which I’m certain won’t get us in to the play offs this season 
    that would leave current 6th spot needing 11 wins from 24 games to get 70 points …

• Options
    Why do people keep saying JJ needs the job ‘full time’? Is he only working part time at the moment?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Why do people keep saying JJ needs the job ‘full time’? Is he only working part time at the moment?
    Plenty of clubs will be looking at how he is doing. 
    Give him a contract before someone else makes him an offer. 
    After all he deserves it. 
  • Options
    We have 29 points, 40 gets us to 69.

6th last year got 74 (same as us).
    In 18/19 6th got 73 points.
    When we got 6th in 17/18 we had 71.

Personally i feel that this year with a lot of good sides in the division, at least 75+ will needed for the play offs. I'd be astounded if Rotherham, Wigan, Sunderland, Wycombe and Oxford don't all get to 75. Currently they are all on track for at least 85...........which leaves one other spot. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Yeah, obviously I agree we should make him permanent.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    He's under Contract as a coach though... If a club want to make an offer they will still need to go through Sandgaard. 

Thats what we had to do when Powell was signed from Leicester. 
  • Options
    9th October we were 13 points away from 6th spot. 9 games later we're 8 points off. Continue like this and we'll be 3 points off after the next 9 games with 15 still to play. Even if we only closed the gap by say 3 points, we'd still be only 5 points off with 15 to play. It's ambitious but very doable imho.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Chances ae we won't make the play offs but there is also a decent chance we will but some good work in the window will be required coz atm, with the injuries, beyond the first 14 or so, there is a drop off in quality - jfc probably won't be back to his best this season, lavelle the same, innis who knows, morgan, watson and arter - haven't seen anything that tells me they can reach the level of dobson, lee and gilby - davison - a trier but not at the required level, gunter - poor, soare - not convinced at all. A centre forward, a centre half and a centre mid required - pesonally i hope we re ignite the prem loan thing that seemed to get ditched in the summer to help get us up then re-evaluate. I think its part of the game now. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I'll donate £100 to a charity of your choosing if we get 89+ points
    I’ll donate £100 to the upbeats if we make 79 points 
    So will I.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    I don't think assumptions on what other teams will do is the right way to look at it. A points range is, although some years it will be higher and some years lower. I always thought that the more better teams the lower the six place points tally needed as teams are more likely to take points off each other. 

I would look at it as groups of 5 games with the target being 10 points. That is 3 wins, 1 draw and a defeat allowed. To have a shout at these sort of targets you need to be tight defensively and have goals in you which I think we can say we currently have. If say we win 4 out of 5, I will think the target to stay on course from the next 5 would be 8 points to stay on track. So a good run and you are putting bonus points in the bank.

• Options
    if we beat plymouth again we will be in with just a shout but still a small chance. we'll just have to keep winning and winning and its much a big ask. mid week and cup games could be problematic for us leaving us with tired and/or jaded players as we've seen even against cambridge despite winning
  • Options
    Lot to be done but the bookie is making it very attractive at 8-1 (Bet365) - I am in. Jackson signing his contract will shorten that and it will drop again if we sign the goalscorer we desperately need to help win more games and offer cover for Stockley.
  • Options
    Sadly no.

Our start to the season was horrendous and has left us too far behind the teams at the top of the table. And sadly there are some good teams up there at the moment who I fear are not going to lose too many games.

For us to qualify, we need to put in performances like last nights all the time. There's no way players can play with that level of intensity all season. Sadly there are likely to be a few more Shrewsbury performances along the way.

We go up as Champions next year!
    And today's game sadly , I fear, proves my earlier comment more right than wrong.

Unless we put in near-Championship winning form for the rest of the season, we are going to fall short of the play-offs. And because of illness, injuries and the loss of form by key players that is never going to happen.

Let's hope JJ can use the rest of the season to reshape the squad into one he wants. Then we can sit back next season and see his side take the title with a record number of points!  
  • Options
    I still think we will just make the playoffs. A centre back and striker in the window should in my opinion do it.
  • Options
    Can't see it this season, I don't think this squad will be consistent enough plus our away form needs to improve significantly 
  • Options
    It will be a big ask to make the play offs after the start we had and we cannot afford many,if any more performances like today. It will be tight if we do manage it.
  • Options
    We definitely won’t make the play offs … and if the truth be known for all the huff and puff I don’t think anyone out there today apart from Stockley and Gilbey I’d like as starters next year …. Defo squad members but I’m not keen on most of them …
    there’s a reason we’ll be in this league next season and it’s not just down to Adkins early season tenure 
  • Options
    We are playing the 6th placed team this weekend. It's possible that we'll only be 5 points off the playoffs come Saturday evening.

Sadly not. Odds down to a generous 10%
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Not changing my opinion after today. That’s the beauty of the “eight game blocks” and not allowing a knee jerk reaction to a loss away to a side in the top six.

Is 16 points from 7 harder than 16 from 8? Yes.

Is it doable with the way the team has performed under Jacko? Yes.

Business as usual. Next game please.