Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town | Tuesday 7 December 2021

Comments

• Pleased I was at the valley tonight to feel the good vibes and support Johnnie Jackson who will be named manager on Saturday ?

Hopefully Charlton athletic manager but if not he will be named Ipswich Town manager so maybe Jackson won't be the cheap option anymore. I really wouldn't take too long to get JJ's contract sorted Thomas Sandgaard.

Brilliant team performance with a Rolls Royce performance from Alex Gilbey who was sensational.

• Nice easy win.👍
  • What a brilliant performance from our boys all over the pitch. Great atmosphere in the stadium and Jacko got it bang on again!
       I know it's been said before but I can't believe how good these players are performing compared to how they were under Adkins, the transformation is amazing, surely this and the results this far warrant giving Jacko the job???
  • Brilliant evening, well done JJ, Gilbey mom for me, closely followed by Wash and Famewo
  • edited December 2021
    Pleased I was at the valley tonight to feel the good vibes and support Johnnie Jackson who will be named manager on Saturday ?

Hopefully Charlton athletic manager but if not he will be named Ipswich Town manager so maybe Jackson won't be the cheap option anymore. I really wouldn't take too long to get JJ's contract sorted Thomas Sandgaard.

Brilliant team performance with a Rolls Royce performance from Alex Gilbey who was sensational.

Not sure what he's waiting for, I don't think JJ would walk away while he's caretaker but if Sandgaard is listening to the wrong people & is waiting for a "name" he'll never be forgiven.
  • Those watching on TV, we’re we wasteful in front of goal of did their keeper have a worldy?
    A little from column A, a little from column B. Lee in particular was wasteful with his shooting, but their keeper made some great reflex saves even when we weren't hitting it straight at him. 4-0 wouldn't have been unjust in the slightest.
  • Sponsored links:

• What a great night under the lights!
  • edited December 2021
    Jacko had the Valley Rocking, a very special night of floodlight football in SE7, magic when the Covered End exploded with Gilbey's goal. Well done Thomas for the Fill the Valley free tickets offer, 8 friends came and they loved it. Will some come back and pay? Damn right they will. Ipswich sold there allocation of 3,159 very quickly, I would have thought there is a case for making more away seats available as has been done in past in East Stand blocks A,B and getting the extra revenue. Does anyone know what the actual attendance was? As it wasn't 26,376, it looked more like 22,000 & the Charlton TV stream audience? I'm assuming alot of season ticket holders decided to watch at home. Thomas needs to hurry up and sign Jacko up on a permanent deal, and give us all an early xmas present 
  • mendonca said:
    Why do the Ipswich fans deserve more? They thought they were the L1 Man City a few months back!
    Exactly. Mouthy and twatish on the train pre match and silent after 10 minutes. They had one song and that was about Norwich, two leagues above them
    Was the song The A Team?
  • Taken from the TWTD site.  Would have liked 'liked' this post if I could  ...

As dreadful as we were, I couldn’t help but be very impressed by Charlton.

What I liked most about them is the way that to a man, they were showing for the ball. They played like a team in form and the individual movement from the wing backs to striker to get in the game and create something was too much for our lot. It’s one thing doing what Morsy and Evans do in showing for it only to give it instantaneously back to Edmundsen or Nsiala but the Charlton midfielders (particularly Gilbey who was my MOTM) were getting the ball and looking to create, looking to drive forward or spread it wide.

For pure creativity alone, we can learn a lot from them as they created plenty of chances through simple passing into space and movement from players off the ball. We’ve only really got Chaplin and Celina who link up that huge gap between Evans/Morsy and Bonne. Whereas the Charlton midfielders weren’t allowing that huge space by moving up the pitch with the ball and being hungry for it. The second goal pretty much encapsulated the entire game for me. Simple football from Charlton, excellent movement from Gilbey to link up with the strikers and get himself in the game, excellent hunger to win the ball and keep it and then a good finish.

I did see earlier tonight UnstableBlue suggested Charlton were sh*t and whilst it was clear he was just very very angry about things and his judgement was swayed, I personally think Charlton were arguably the best team we have played this season. Yes we made them look better being how poor we were and they’re not as good footballing wise as a Rotherham perhaps but they do the basics very very well and when you combine that with a clear playing style (the aforementioned simple football and consistent movement through the team) and then having that desire and hunger that we lacked and I found myself annoyingly quite impressed. Wouldn’t at all surprise me if they have a run and end up as that team that challenges late every year to nick a playoff spot.

And most of this praise can be attributed to Jackson shaping a system that both makes best use of the squad we have and meets the demands of the division we’re in.

Simple football logic and bringing out the best in the players we have, clearly they’re working well on the training ground. Makes me even more annoyed about the wasted time and points under Adkins.
  • Gutted I couldn’t make the game due to work so ended up watching it on my phone in the bar, great performance. Says alot when you get chatting to a couple of Ipswich fans at London Bridge and they are raving about our number 7 and that Jayden Stockley won’t be with us long because he’s so good.  
  • It would be good to see an interview with TS/Roddy/Gallen and ask about their thoughts on how we are playing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• keep winning and suddenly that seemingly unmovable big gap between us and the play offs will disappear pretty quickly 
  • outstanding all over the park, they were poor but we made them look poor and but for their keeper it would've been 5/6

Stand out MOM was Gilbey, best all round CM we've had for some time now
  • Second half was up there with the Plymouth performance... we absolutely battered them. Their goalie played a blinder, could easily have been 4 or 5-0. Special mentions to Gilbey and Dobson who were unplayable. Not sure JFC gets back in this team when fit, and that is coming from someone who really rates him. Just give Jacko the job now please Thomas
  • Loved that. Gilbey MOM for me, but special shout out to Conor, Stockley, Famewo, Pearce, Dobson .. almost all of them. 

What was really nice at the end when the players were clapping the supporters, Famewo was smiling. He never seems to smile - my daughter always remarks on it. Maybe because it was Ipswich, or maybe he'd had a really good evening. 

Onto Saturday.
  • edited December 2021
    Called that completely wrong,  although after the first 20 mins I thought Ipswich were gonna win , then we kicked on and took them to the cleaners with lots of energy and passion .
    Gilbey (he was man of the match in the lounges) was outstanding.
    I still think we can be better and we need loads of chances to get goals and that lack of ‘ killer’ instinct in front of goal could cost us , the 5 points missed out on from Morecambe and Shrewsbury will prolly end up being the difference come judgement day. 
    All been said how good we were and how piss poor we made them look , sign Jacko up sharp 

Loved Ipswich’s support and the fans losing the plot at the end.
    We had a few freebie Wally kids running on at the end and going towards Ipswich end giving it but they soon shit emselves when an Ipswich fan came over but he was having it with players .
    the corner by the Curbishley/Seed stands is gonna get closed off cos someone seems to always like giving it to the away end and today he legged it before the security team tried to glide in and nab him .
    loved the posse of150ish youngsters at front middleish of Curbishley Stand who were stood for most of game .

0%    Top 2
    15% Play offs 
    70%      7th-12th
    15%  13th-20th
  • paulfox said:
    Stig said:
    Fantastic performance, fantastic result, fantastic night. Everyone in the team played their part. Special mentions though to Famewo and Pearce who were outstanding at the back. Dynamo Dobson who made an unfeasible amount of interceptions. Gilbey, Washington and Stockley for always giving us that attacking impetus. At 1-0 there was always the possibility that the footballing gods would play one of their crueller tricks, and it would have been no surprise if Pigott or Bonne was their chosen representative on Earth to frustrate us withan equaliser. Jackson's Charlton were just too good to fall for any sucker punches though so when Gilbey got a well deserved wonder goal the game was sealed. My ony disappointment was that Washington couldn't slot away one of several good chances to take my personal man of the match award. As it is, I think that particular honour should be shared between Gilbey and Walton. Perhaps they could have a penalty shoot out to settle it. Final word, well done to the ref. No glaring errors (sadly, that's something remarkable in this league), didn't miss anything major but let some minor stuff go to let the game flow. 
    Yes good shout about the ref. There Stig. He did have a good game.
    Couldn’t believe the amount of shirt pulling that the Ipswich players were doing.