Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town | Tuesday 7 December 2021

Comments

• A clean sheet win, Gilbey Mom,wonder what the attendance really was?
  • Why do the Ipswich fans deserve more? They thought they were the L1 Man City a few months back!
  • Sponsored links:

• Feared the worst after 20 minutes of turgidity (if that isn’t a word it should be). Then we took off after we scored and never looked back. Always a fear that our wastefulness would bite us in the bum but in reality Ipswich posed as much threat as Kenneth Williams and we were comfortable. Played some nice stuff and fitting to see Gilbey finish off a MOTM performance with a great goal. I hope ATV wasn’t as loud in the ground as it sounded on the telly. Why can’t they just let the natural atmosphere play out without being drowned by that crap?  Bonne and Piggott?  Nah no thanks. I’ll keep what we’ve got for now. Ipswich truly terrible but still above us which shows how strange this league is. 
  • Stig said:
    Fantastic performance, fantastic result, fantastic night. Everyone in the team played their part. Special mentions though to Famewo and Pearce who were outstanding at the back. Dynamo Dobson who made an unfeasible amount of interceptions. Gilbey, Washington and Stockley for always giving us that attacking impetus. At 1-0 there was always the possibility that the footballing gods would play one of their crueller tricks, and it would have been no surprise if Pigott or Bonne was their chosen representative on Earth to frustrate us withan equaliser. Jackson's Charlton were just too good to fall for any sucker punches though so when Gilbey got a well deserved wonder goal the game was sealed. My ony disappointment was that Washington couldn't slot away one of several good chances to take my personal man of the match award. As it is, I think that particular honour should be shared between Gilbey and Walton. Perhaps they could have a penalty shoot out to settle it. Final word, well done to the ref. No glaring errors (sadly, that's something remarkable in this league), didn't miss anything major but let some minor stuff go to let the game flow. 
    Yes good shout about the ref. There Stig. He did have a good game.
  • aliwibble said:
    How is it that Pearce now looks better than he did 3 years ago. For me, Famewo also benefits massively from having him instead of Lavelle next to him. 
    10 points albeit having played at least one game more than most of the top 6….could we?
    No offence to Deji, who by all accounts did some very good stuff defensively against Gateshead, but shows exactly what it’s like to have someone who reads the game like Pearce at the back today.

Even got his customary rugby tackle in.
    Not forgetting the traditional "having a quick lie down in the penalty area to waste a little time" after that bit of argy bargy with Bonne.
    That was hilarious, as was his rugby tackle, followed by exit right. 
  • Sponsored links:

• In the words of Craig Revel-Horwood… FAB U LOUS, Darling. Gilbey … best game in a Charlton shirt. Front two would be a handful for any team on that performance. Washington .. we’ve needed a striker who makes runs in behind the defence for years. Dobson was just Dobson. The cat has found his best position. Give Jacko the job NOW
  • With the players coming back from injury, hopefully, we need to get a forward in the window. Stockley and Washington are definitely causing all sorts of problem for teams but there will be injuries and suspensions and if either of those are out of the side then we have a problem.
  • edited December 2021
    Defence was unreal today. Pearce like a fine wine. Famewo like Sarr reincarnated bringing the ball out from the back. Clare with another very strong performance.

All round faultless performance.

All thanks to two men... 

SIGN JACKO AND EULL UP TOMMY
  • Sone Aluko is Ipswich's Arter isn't he btw. Completely unfit for professional football. Amazed he lasted as long as he did. Number 24 behind him was having to do running for two men 
  • A 6-0 defeat would have been a flattering scoreline for Ipswich.

• Said it a few weeks ago, that I only realised what a player Alex Gilbey was when I finally saw him in the flesh, and not via stream.

absolutely superstar tonight 
  • Jayden says post match "I want to finish my career here" awwwww
    He's after a 7-year contract. :smiley: