Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town | Tuesday 7 December 2021

Comments

• Superb all round performance last night. First 20 mins was a non-event but once we got a good grip and the first goal, there was only one team in control.  Some slick football that should have led to more goals but their keeper was in outstanding form and kept them in it.

Keep it up boys.
  • No complaints about the ref … I thought he leant towards us and we got most of the 50-50 decisions 
    The ref was good but I didn’t think he favoured us over them. The difference was the Charlton players were so intent in getting stuck in and getting the ball, riding a tackle and shrugging it off, it made it easier for the ref to judge, ie if a charlton player went down and didn’t get up then it was pretty much nailed on it was a foul, whereas if a Ipswich player went down and didn’t get up it was often play acting, some of which was so embarrassing to watch the ref should have been dishing out yellow cards to their players 
  • A clean sheet win, Gilbey Mom,wonder what the attendance really was?
    From the West Stand -the East Stand looked half full. Were the "free tickets" not taken up? or not used?
  • sammy391 said:
    Great performance, and looked like we could have scored more and more as the game went on!

needed the second, but we fought all over the pitch valiantly!

only negatives for me were  purrington (at times) and leko! Purrington kept leaving himself so exposed - fair play he’s having luck pushing forward but against such pacey wingers he just couldn’t keep up and left vast gaps behind him!
    Leko just looked so disinterested and bored, didn’t show for the ball and didn’t want to run it seemed! CBT missed sorely 

Is he a big boy?
  • An excellent all-round team performance with some exceptional performances. It would be difficult and unfair to pick out one player but, if I had to, it would be Connor Washington.
    I’m just wondering where all those fans have gone who were screaming about Charlton not spending silly money like Ipswich were before the season started. Quality not quantity, my friends!
  • Sponsored links:

• Ipswich coach still at The Valley around 11pm is that usual … thought they’d have been on their way 
  • Should have won this one 4 or 5 nil..Ipswich got off light imho, and have their keeper to thank for keeping the score respectable, Washington was unbelievable and they couldn't handle him, great assist prior to a well taken goal from Stockley, and Gilby not only scored but prior to that chased all the way back to the halfway line to retrieve the ball set up the attack and assist in his own goal.
    Post match Stockley spelt out the way that the tightness of team spirit is overwhelming, well played one and all, on to Cambridge and the next 3 points.... B)
  • Are the goals available anywhere? Really want to see our 2nd again 
  • The Camden Klopp's got them playing. What a night 
  • iaitch said:
    We must be doing something right as Rotherham, Plymouth and now Ipswich have commented on us being the best team they've played.
    I suppose on the flip side, Morecambe and Shrewsbury might say we were nothing special. We were missing Pearce and Stockley, but it was the same midfield, and the passing and creativity weren't anywhere near as good.

It's brilliant to beat the "good" sides in this division, but you also need to dispatch the scruffy ones, especially away from home. You're not going to win every game, but if we had won those games we would have been 10th now, 5 points off he playoffs.
  • edited December 2021
    how many how many goals / games is that recently for Stockley?
    is it 11 in 12 ?

edit….fffffs I’ve got an online stutter 
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:
    We must be doing something right as Rotherham, Plymouth and now Ipswich have commented on us being the best team they've played.
    I suppose on the flip side, Morecambe and Shrewsbury might say we were nothing special. We were missing Pearce and Stockley, but it was the same midfield, and the passing and creativity weren't anywhere near as good.

It's brilliant to beat the "good" sides in this division, but you also need to dispatch the scruffy ones, especially away from home. You're not going to win every game, but if we had won those games we would have been 10th now, 5 points off he playoffs.
    Yes, but “you’re not going to win every game”. Morecambe was frustrating and Shrewsbury pretty rubbish, but bearing Plymouth and last night more than make up for them, in my view. It’s also important to win in front of the home fans.

It would have been wildly unrealistic to think we could or should have won every game since Jackson took over (excluding Rotherham) and the suspension of Stockley was critical to the two away results.

Jacko will get the job in the next week, probably until the end of the season. Everyone knows it, hence there is no panic and no need for panic. 
    Who's panicking! Just noting that we've seem to play our best football against the better sides, especially at home.

Indeed Gateshead gave us far more of a game than Ipswich
  • I think Dobson could be the most unathletic looking footballer when he's walking. His arms are too long and his back is always hunched, like early man. Then he as soon as he gets a sniff of a football he bolts upright and turns into a machine. I absolutely love him.
     :D He reminds me of my WFH posture when walking!
  • I think Dobson could be the most unathletic looking footballer when he's walking. His arms are too long and his back is always hunched, like early man. Then he as soon as he gets a sniff of a football he bolts upright and turns into a machine. I absolutely love him.
    Probably my favourite player at the moment 
  • mendonca said:
    Why do the Ipswich fans deserve more? They thought they were the L1 Man City a few months back!
    An of course no one here including Thomas had the same delusion….