Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Kent 57-1 from 8 overs this morning, tail wagging merrily
  • Options
    Seb received a message at the weekend from a mate at his club in Australia telling him that he had been included as one of the players in the South Australia Cricket Fantasy Cricket League. He got very excited especially when he heard that he had been valued at Australian $9m  (equivalent to £5.4m) and even more so when he realised that he was priced the same as the likes of internationals Travis Head and Alex Carey. It was a bit of a let down though when he found out that all 250 players are, actually, currently valued the same. 

That was nothing compared to his anger when I told him that he hadn't made the team I had selected for the League. After all, there's no room for sentiment in sport. Be that in reality or fantasy. 
    I bet he has a screen shot of his listing saved somewhere !!!
  • Options
    Gilchrist goes for a nosebleed 14
  • Options
    Gilchrist bowled for 14

463-9 soon to be all out with Quinn coming to the crease
  • Options
    Qadri smashing it everywhere
  • Options
    Qadri having fun with back to back sixes down the ground, followed by a 4 square of the wicket, moves to 75 from 70 balls, Kent 479-9, a lead of 277
  • Options
    Qadri making a play for our Blast team next summer.
  • Options
    Gloucs 227-8 and 234 ahead
  • Options
    Qadri achieves a career best ever score in reaching 78 (77)
  • Options
    Qadri out for a fantastic 87 (91). Quinn 1* (21)

492 all out and a lead of 290
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quinn strikes

3-1
  • Options
    This adds to the belief that Robinson will be back in three years time should it suit all parties at the time:

• Options
    Though "final innings" rather infers that he won't be needed to bat!
  • Options
    Hants 73-4, so Warks with a small chance of enforcing the follow on. Yorkshire 11-1

How nice to be able to watch the squeaky bum action from afar!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Hants 73-4, so Warks with a small chance of enforcing the follow on. Yorkshire 11-1

I got talking to a Yorkshireman at Worcester who played for the MCC and his son was trialling too. He said that Yorkshire is, so far as cricket is concerned, a place to grow up playing the recreational game but as soon as you are old and good enough you have to go somewhere else and that he had refused to allow his sons to go through their age group system because of it. They continue to be in a complete and utter mess at the moment as evidenced by their refusal to go through due process when sacking the 16 members of staff over the racist claims. That is going to cost them and/or the insurers millions and relegation won't help the situation.
  • Options

Hants 98-5. Clearly our defeat of Hants has destroyed all confidence "if we can't beat Kent, who can we beat?"
  • Options
    We just have to make sure

a) no penalty points for slow over rates, so Qadri, Leaning and Denly will have to be ready to bowl, and no faffing around for ages trying to decide whether you want a boundary fielder at extra cover or cover.
    b) no penalty points for dissent, or over aggressive appealing

"I say umpire, I think that is out... You think it's not out, well I'm sure you're right with your superb eyesight and judgement, silly me"
    Qadri on in the 11th over  ;)
  • Options
    And gets a wicket straight away. As compensation for taking Robinson off us, can't Durham take Linde as well?
  • Options
    Qadri is out of contract, am I correct?  
  • Options
    This adds to the belief that Robinson will be back in three years time should it suit all parties at the time:

This is still a crass decision. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Qadri is out of contract, am I correct?  
    I can't see that he signed one subsequent to the three year contract in September 2019 so that appears to be the case. Linde is causing us a bit of an embarrassment as we probably don't want him to come back but, by the same token, won't want to pay him off.
  • Options
    Good catch by Muyeye at short midwicket off Quinn gets Bartlett

23-3

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

This is still a crass decision. 
    The decision to go was Robinson's. The events that culminated in him making that decision was partly caused by Kent and partly by England.

The only other thing I will add is this. One senior Kent coach said to me a few years ago that "we never thought Robinson would make it. We always knew Crawley would". Sometimes, against that backdrop, it is much harder to shift people's opinions and you have to do twice as well as the person that is rated in order to overcome that. The other aspect is that when you feel that you aren't rated, it can affect your confidence and put even more pressure on your performances to the extent that you have to get a score each and every time you walk out. Crawley has never had to combat that for Kent or England and yet he has a worst First Class average than Robinson. 

Where that perspective can change is when you leave. I'm sure many of us have witnessed someone at our place at work who isn't rated by the management and doesn't ever get promoted so elects to leave. Only for that person's replacement to be a total downgrade on his predecessor. Time will tell whether that is the case should Billings get injured again.  
  • Options
    Good catch by Muyeye at short midwicket off Quinn gets Bartlett

23-3

Bonkers - at this rate it won’t go to the 4th day - why couldn’t we start the season like this 🤷
  • Options
    Quinn gets his 3rd wicket

25-4
  • Options
    McKerr is off injured. Fortunately Kent don't need any help from Surrey to win matches.
  • Options
    Hope Somerset put up more of a fight. Can't get there until 4 and it looks like it could be all over by then :(
  • Options
    Hope Somerset put up more of a fight. Can't get there until 4 and it looks like it could be all over by then :(
    I can't imagine there would be too many Somerset players or staff who would be upset if they were already on the coach home by 4
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    42-5

Another great catch - this time by DBD at third slip off Evison
  • Options
    One to DBD

65-6