Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 2021/22 Thread

Comments

• Options
    We usually say we are concentrating on the League & so play the youngsters.

No excuse this season though. We are not getting promoted & so this season the only thing us fans have to look forward to us a cup run & hopefully drawing a Prem team at home in the 3rd round.

Glad to hear that Jacko thinks similar to me & therefore have got my tickets for Sat and looking forward to finally trouncing a non league side.
    Why aren’t we getting promoted ??
    There are 90 points to play for ?
    11 points to play off places with 30 games to go??
    what a poor statement !!!
    We would need a minimum of 60 points from those 30 games to get into the playoffs. Two points a game without a natural goalscorer is a very big ask.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I'd like to see Davison up front with either Washington or Stockley, give him a chance to form a partnership. Never know when we'll need it. Also expect to see Elerewe, Clare and Arter if fit. As others have said, would save the full-on reserve line-up for the pizza cup dead rubber. 

Also sounds like they have a major injury crisis.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Anyone know why I can't book a gangway side seat in west?  Saying "selection not valid for your ticket type"
  • Options
    Don't get the interest in being drawn against a PL team myself.

Most PL teams getting drawn v L1 team will stick out a skeleton squad so you watch a load of reserves, but being where all the money is they are still mainly £5-10M players so beat us comfortably much like when we played West Ham a season or two back.

It is not a prize worth bothering much with.  Until we are a half competent Championship team again I wouldn't bother as a manager tbh.
    When it’s a home game I agree but the potential away days are good fun, even if we aren’t up against full strength sides. Spurs in 2011 comes to mind from most recent times. 
  • Options

Most PL teams getting drawn v L1 team will stick out a skeleton squad so you watch a load of reserves, but being where all the money is they are still mainly £5-10M players so beat us comfortably much like when we played West Ham a season or two back.

It is not a prize worth bothering much with.  Until we are a half competent Championship team again I wouldn't bother as a manager tbh.
    When it’s a home game I agree but the potential away days are good fun, even if we aren’t up against full strength sides. Spurs in 2011 comes to mind from most recent times. 
    Fulham in 2012 as well
  • Options
    Watch out for Havant's boss, makes Steve Evans look quiet, a proper nasty one, will spend the entire 90 minutes giving the officials grief and will relish the chance to wind up our Bench, horrible as Dave Lockwood would confirm.
  • Options
    Anyone know why I can't book a gangway side seat in west?  Saying "selection not valid for your ticket type"
    I had the same problem so, as I live nearby, I went and bought at the ticket office. I told the guy who served me but he didn't know why it happened
  • Options
    I'm not sure how many changes we'll make but I'm sure a few of the guys will get a run out, like Elewere, Souare, Clare, Blackett-Taylor, Kirk and Davison
  • Options
    Can basically play the whole U23's on Tuesday vs Leyton Orient 
  • Options
    Can basically play the whole U23's on Tuesday vs Leyton Orient 
    Could be difficult for them, as they are playing at Watford [St Albans] in the afternoon 13.00 kick-off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pico said:
    I had the same problem so, as I live nearby, I went and bought at the ticket office. I told the guy who served me but he didn't know why it happened
    Thanks Pico, I'll get a walk-up...
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    We absolutely need an FA Cup run this season.  Chances are we will have to go like the clappers to reach the play offs and I think an FA Cup would do us the world of good.  For too long we’ve meekly gone out citing the league as a priority, but I’m having none of that this year.  I’d love for us to get through to the 3rd round and get a big team at the Valley.  There’s a generation of supporters emerging that won’t remember the Prem days.  We haven’t played a big team in years, even when we got to the QFs in 2014.  

How great would it be to get Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc at home 
    Well said cuddles 😁
    I agree entirely 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    We absolutely need an FA Cup run this season.  Chances are we will have to go like the clappers to reach the play offs and I think an FA Cup would do us the world of good.  For too long we’ve meekly gone out citing the league as a priority, but I’m having none of that this year.  I’d love for us to get through to the 3rd round and get a big team at the Valley.  There’s a generation of supporters emerging that won’t remember the Prem days.  We haven’t played a big team in years, even when we got to the QFs in 2014.  

How great would it be to get Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc at home 
    Even better away!
  • Options
    We usually say we are concentrating on the League & so play the youngsters.

No excuse this season though. We are not getting promoted & so this season the only thing us fans have to look forward to us a cup run & hopefully drawing a Prem team at home in the 3rd round.

Glad to hear that Jacko thinks similar to me & therefore have got my tickets for Sat and looking forward to finally trouncing a non league side.
    Why aren’t we getting promoted ??
    There are 90 points to play for ?
    11 points to play off places with 30 games to go??
    what a poor statement !!!
    Because we'd need around 60 points from those 30 matches. Averaging 2 points a game is top 2 material, and if you've watched us this season you'd know we are no where near that standard. Even if we had started the season fully prepared & with Jacko in charge I doubt top 2 was achievable - top 6 possibly.

Happy to be proved wrong of course......but like back in the summer I wasn't. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Let’s actually make a go of the cup this season. Promotion isn’t happening and we should (from fingers crossed!) have enough to avoid relegation. Some semblance of a cup run would be a welcome change. 
    Exactly. There are always too many excuses and cries of 'concentrate on the league.' This season The Nigel has ruined the league for us so let's make it our aim to beat The Nigels at The Valley.
  • Options
    The FA Cup is dying on its arse, it’s a shadow of its former self. 
    It's the same trophy, and winning it now has the same value as any time since 1872.

What you think is all in your mind.
  • Options

Obviously you go to matches against higher clubs just to salivate over their players 
    Personally, I'd want to beat them and progress at least until we're taken seriously.

The negativity people like to spin about the FA Cup is a like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Having seen a first qualifying round of the FA cup on 7/8/21 and the way Abbey Rangers celebrated when they won I can assure everyone that the FA cup means everything to clubs down the football pyramid and it can bring so much needed revenue.

Would like to see us win a few rounds because winning is infectious, where we normally treat the FA cup with total indifference over recent years.
  • Options
    I love the fa cup but I’m sick of attending matches where clubs are not putting out their strongest sides - it’s as simple as that - if we put out a first team against Havant and Waterloo then I will be at the next round whoever it’s against - in sick of hearing managers saying he needed the minutes’ or ‘the medical department says he needs resting as he’s ready to break down’ etc etc - reserve matches used to be for keeping players fit and medical departments were for if u broke your leg - load of nonsense and conning the fans 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking forward to going to the game. Only a pity it's not away 

Hope we play a starting XI from the same 18 or 20 players in the league squad and we really go for it.

Henderson, Deji, CBT, Davison, Morgan, Watson, Kirk, Souare should all start along with some of the starting side.

Does that mean, does anyone know, that we can then play the same team v Orient as it was our first team in the last game?
  • Options
    Looking forward to going to the game. Only a pity it's not away 

Hope we play a starting XI from the same 18 or 20 players in the league squad and we really go for it.

Henderson, Deji, CBT, Davison, Morgan, Watson, Kirk, Souare should all start along with some of the starting side.

Does that mean, does anyone know, that we can then play the same team v Orient as it was our first team in the last game?
    I'll be there sitting in next to the Directors Box  ;)

With the opposition we're playing, I want us to play the players you've listed, as I want them to put in the sort of performance - 100% effort, 100% concentration, confidence on the ball - that says to Jacko that they're ready to play against Burton
  • Options
    The FA Cup is dying on its arse, it’s a shadow of its former self. 
    It's the same trophy, and winning it now has the same value as any time since 1872.

What you think is all in your mind.
    It might be the same trophy but the value of winning it is nowhere near the same as it used to be. I am 64 and believe me when I say I can remember the times when clubs would not dream of resting first team players for an FA Cup game, it was one of the only chances you had of playing at Wembley. 

The FA Cup is an irritant to some Premier League sides as its all about Europe.
    It’s not an irritant, it’s an opportunity to play the reserves and give them some minutes - which is why it ain’t what it used to be 
  • Options
    I think Havant could bring between 750-1000 fans. Could include a Portsmouth contingent, who fancy another London day out rather than watch Pompey at home to Harrow Borough. 

Just play the strongest XI and get through the tie. Sure if players have got injuries then swap them out but don't make wholesale changes for the sake of it. Get through the tie and hopefully it'll be the start of a memorable run. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I think Havant could bring between 750-1000 fans. Could include a Portsmouth contingent, who fancy another London day out rather than watch Pompey at home to Harrow Borough. 

Just play the strongest XI and get through the tie. Sure if players have got injuries then swap them out but don't make wholesale changes for the sake of it. Get through the tie and hopefully it'll be the start of a memorable run. 
    In his interview he said he will put out a team he expects to win the game which to me sounds like first team players will be dropped.

The article also says Jackson expects to make changes.
  • Options
    With the size of our squad this year we can practically play two first teams, so it makes sense to make changes and give those out of the current side a game. They should have enough to win the game (yeah, I know) and be trying to play their way into the league side. I hope we give the cup a proper go this year.
  • Options
    PLaying fringe players in the cup against non-league opposition is the right thing to do. If we played our full first team and lost a couple of players to injuries how silly would Jacko look?
  • Options
    Love the FA Cup. 
    Sad though that the club don’t show the matches or the fans that go any respect and that the support disappears partly due to that. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    With the size of our squad this year we can practically play two first teams, so it makes sense to make changes and give those out of the current side a game. They should have enough to win the game (yeah, I know) and be trying to play their way into the league side. I hope we give the cup a proper go this year.
    Don’t agree. Important to win to keep the run going so play the best team. Resting players sends the wrong message and places in the team should be based on performance not to give players run outs.