Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fleetwood Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 2nd October 2021 | Match Preview

Fleetwood Town vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 2nd October 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Oliver Langford

Introduction
There is a saying isnt there... "Things can only get better", or perhaps I'm simply quoting a well known song from the 80s - The fact of the matter is, yes things could suddenly start to get better, Tuesday night was in some ways a shock to the system as for seventy minutes we probably watched one of the best Charlton displays of the season, and if they can continue to play like that week in, week out then we should of course start to climb the table. Although it still doesnt detract that we look like a scared rabbit in the headlights when we go behind in games and that is the issue, Bolton are recovering from their own ownership issues, the problem is there will be much harder, and much more stubborn sides to come.

The Opposition
Name: Fleetwood Town (20th) | Manager: Simon Grayson
Ground: Highbury Stadium
Previous Meeting: Fleetwood Town 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Sorry did I say we'll becoming up against more stubborn opposition that Bolton Wanderers? - Oops thats rather ironic timing, especially with the Addicks now marching Northwards themselves to face a Fleetwood side, who despite their own struggles, are unbeaten in six games now - The Cod Army might sit just about the relegation zone, but win for the home side could create an early gap between Charlton and League One safety, not an MAJOR concern after just eleven games, but Fleetwood will be facing a Charlton team already devoid of any confidence...

Its also worth noting that the handful of fixtures between these two sides have primarily resulted in a draw, something that'll help neither team at present - Sorry did I mention that Fleetwood might be a stubborn side that we've shown how much we hate facing when we're at this level?

Of course those stats I've just prattled off are nothing more than that... They're designed for the history books, for the idiots like me who need to find something to discuss when waffling on in a Match Preview - Yet under the experience of Simon Grayson they'll be a side who know how to grind out results, and it appears they know where the goal is too, having scored two or more goals in five of those occasions, although in similar fashion to the Addicks, they've only won two of those matches, showing once again that whilst goals are great... Its both them AND clean sheets that get you moving up the table.

So of those players for Fleetwood it is perhaps Gerard Garner that we need to be aware of, the Fleetwood graduate has four goals to his name this term and already has more goals at this level than any previous year - If we're unable to stop him then the combination of Callum Camps and Danny Andrews will be the next targets, both have three assists to their name along with two goals.

Another tight encounter on the North West coast truly appears to be on the cards.

Charlton Team News
"Throws keyboard out of the window, turns to phone"

I know most of my Previews come with a little bit of levity but I dont even feel as though I'm joking when I write that. How can you even begin to predict the team when we're seeing five / six changes per game - It appears that we've got a strong squad to choose from as there are only a scattering of players currently injured, yet whilst we have a strong squad on player (one that made Danny Cowley rather envious of last week), it doesnt appear overly strong when it reaches the pitch.

Tuesday night saw Josh Davison adding to his tally for the season, and despite two of his goals coming in the EFL Trophy, will hopefully be on a high and will surely keep his place going into our match with Fleetwood - Jonathan Leko limped off against Bolton so we can straight away start to guess at who'll replace him, yet you'd imagine that Conor Washington will come into the line up in his place, with Charlie Kirk moving on to the bench after scoring in a friendly against Brentford 'B' on Wednesday afternoon.

As for the rest of the squad...

Well time to start showing some pride, as there is some inexperience out there showing up the senior figures!!

MacGillivray
Gunter - Lavelle - Famewo - Souare
Dobson - Watson
Gilbey
Washington - Davison - Lee

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Pearce - Purrington - Kirk - Morgan - Stockley - Blackett-Taylor

Prediction
He who scores first stands the greater chance of winning... If its Fleetwood that scores then its time for Nigel Adkins and the players to show the character that has been missing for large parts of the season, as if Thomas Sandgaard plans on keeping things as they are then both need to learn to work together and not disappear in on itself the moment things start to get tough.

We've seen against both Gillingham and Bolton that there is potential within this team, but as we've seen so often at this level, talent only gets you so far - Alan Curbishley once mentioned that players signed for Charlton and didnt walk around thinking they were stars, even when some perhaps were - The same goes for this group of players, if there is an attitude around the club with players thinking they're too good for League One then it needs to be dropped straight away, because at the moment many are heading in one direction and one direction only!!

Comments

• edited September 2021
    Comfortable 3-1 loss.

Davison.
  • ‘Things can only get better’ by D:Ream; very apt FA, that’s about all we can do at the moment 😩.
  • Gilbey back in the XI I like the sound of but in all honesty I’ve given up and this is the lowest interest I’ve had since I could remember.  I’ll take a stab at it anyway;

MacG
    Lavelle, Pearce, Famewo
    Gunter, Watson, Clare, Purrington 
    Gilbey
    Stockley, Washington 

Also, things can only get better was a 90s hit 😂
  • MacG
    Lavelle, Pearce, Famewo
    Gunter, Dobson, Clare, Purrington 
    Gilbey
    Davison, Washington 

will still lose 2-1
  • 1-2 Charlton. Boring game but we get the win. I don't think we're gonna lose
  • Gilbey back in the XI I like the sound of but in all honesty I’ve given up and this is the lowest interest I’ve had since I could remember.  I’ll take a stab at it anyway;

MacG
    Lavelle, Pearce, Famewo
    Gunter, Watson, Clare, Purrington 
    Gilbey
    Stockley, Washington 

Also, things can only get better was a 90s hit 😂
    Cheers, complete stab in the dark when I was writing it, meant to check :D
  • Who knows, nothing seems to work. This might be too negative but the full backs need protecting that the wingers aren't providing. Gunter is very poor but Matthews wasn't good enough so needs to come out. 

MacG

Gunter     Lavelle      Famewo     Purrington 
                                Dobson 

Washington  Clare      Gilbey        Souare 

Davison

• My overriding memory of Fleetwood is the 2019 draw, where we'd been trying to play out from the back, and not making a good job of it.

There were lots of groans from the away support of the "kick it long Dillon FFS" variety, until he turned around and said he was under instructions from the Gaffer, i.e. not my fault  :D
  • 1-1 NA hangs on, just.  Certainly expect to see Matthews dropped after making the same mistake twice in a row.  Can’t tell which way he’ll go re: left back and centre back partnership.  Wouldn’t be surprised if he went with Famewo and Pearce, despite both of them being left footed, or, went 3 at the back and deployed Gunter and Souare on the outside of a midfield 4.

Gilbey will definitely start after Tuesday, I think NA believes he’s a talisman of some sort.  

To be honest, you’ve got more chance getting 3 numbers right on the lotto than you have guessing what he goes with now.  I’ll have a go 

Mac 

Gunter Famewo Pearce Souare 

Watson Dobson 

Lee Gilbey Washington 

Davsion 

Subs: Henderson, Lavelle, Purrington, Clare, Leko, CBT, Stockley 
  • Sponsored links:

• It should be a film or a play - Rotation of the damned
  • Apart from an unchanged keeper it's anyone's guess, but here's hoping 1-2 surprise win.
  • 2-0 defeat and more manager waffle 
  • edited September 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    Talal said:
    Who knows, nothing seems to work. This might be too negative but the full backs need protecting that the wingers aren't providing. Gunter is very poor but Matthews wasn't good enough so needs to come out. 

MacG

Gunter     Lavelle      Famewo     Purrington 
                                Dobson 

Washington  Clare      Gilbey        Souare 

Davison

That looks horrific 
    🤣 I know. Trying to find a way to protect the full backs but I don't see a way to do it without being negative. Swap Souare for Lee perhaps 🤷‍♂️
  • For a change, I'm going to spend my Saturday doing something enjoyable and productive. Just really finding it impossible to summon any passion towards this bunch of average Joe's
  • Fleetwood Cack.
    Got my headline ready.
  • edited September 2021
    No idea what to expect on Saturday. 
    Don’t want to hear Captain Pugwash, that’s for sure. 
    The idea of playing CBT for 90 was to get him fit. Should be fit enough to start Saturday. If not, what was the point?
  • I think we might get a result, which will just prolong the Adkins reign a bit further 
  • RedChaser said:
    ‘Things can only get better’ by D:Ream; very apt FA, that’s about all we can do at the moment 😩.
    It was released in 1993, having been recorded in a small studio in Camden - now the site of a Sainsbury store. 
    Sorry, not football related, but our performances make me want to think about something else. 
  • I think we might get a result, which will just prolong the Adkins pain a bit further 
    Corrected
  • Sponsored links:

• MacGillivray
    Matthews - Lavelle - Pearce - Famewo - Purrington
    Clare - Watson - Lee
    Leko - Davison 

Relies on Matthews and Purrington to get up and down, but gives the extra man in defence, whilst maintaining a battling midfield.
  • Why are we persevering with this sh*tshow ?

Anyone who thinks Watson or Pearce or Happy clappy will contribute to a win in Fleetwood needs to cut back on their dose of delusion pills. 

• Credit to you mate for putting this together, would have been really hard to write.

Not a clue on the team and most going for 5 at the back, with Adkins saying about conceding too many and being away from home in horrible conditions next to the sea, I can see 5 at the back as well. Just don’t know if he’s going to want to start that negative, tough one.

Not a clue so maybe something like…

MacGillivray
    Gunter Lavelle Pearce Famewo Souaré
    Clare Arter Gilbey
    Davison Washington

Henderson, Purrington, Morgan, Kirk, Lee, Leko, Stockley

Your guess is as good as mine.
  • Why are we persevering with this sh*tshow ?

Anyone who thinks Watson or Pearce or Happy clappy will contribute to a win in Fleetwood needs to cut back on their dose of delusion pills. 

The sole reason I’ve included Pearce is because we desperately lack any kind of leadership in the team and in an away game like this, we need some kind of leader to help us through.
  • We are in a relegation 6 pointer, don't care how, just win. Win ugly if we have too,  just win.
    Adkins should have gone after MK Dons. JUST WIN!!!
  • No idea what team Adkins will pick & as he quite correctly stated a couple of weeks ago, 99% of fans wouldn't be picking his 11 anyway.

All I know is that what I've seen from the last 3 matches (having attended them all) is that Leko, Lee & CBT need to be starting along with Davison up front. I don't care about clean sheets as scoring goals is more important - it didn't harm Bolton letting in a goal on Tuesday night did it !

3-1 and we are beginning to be cast adrift at the bottom. 
  • Play Purrington at LB and Soare on the left of a midfield four maybe? 
    Might be worth a try, he’s tried everything else. 
  • Change the keeper.

And play two up top.

Hendo
    Matthews Lavelle Famewo Purrington
    Leko Watson Lee CBT
    Washington Davison

Subs: Mac Soare Clare Gilbey Kirk Morgan Stockley
  • Impossible to predict a win at the moment. 
    So as usual hope for the best 
    Expect the worst. 
    Good luck all who are going.
  • Change the keeper.

And play two up top.

Hendo
    Matthews Lavelle Famewo Purrington
    Leko Watson Lee CBT
    Washington Davison

Subs: Mac Soare Clare Gilbey Kirk Morgan Stockley
    Agree ... keeper needs to change ... it could help ... why not, we've changed every other position / formation.