Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

M!llwall looking to build their new training ground in West Kingsdown???

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    I've only got one thing really to say about the subject of this thread and Millwall's plans to develop a world leading academy with Cat 1 EPPP status:

A f*ck I could not give.
    With Palace already having Category 1 and with Millwall aspiring to Category 1 then quite honestly I do give a fuck. I know it’s also on Charltons radar but as a club we really don’t want to be left squeezed by those two. 
    Yes, but that's for us to sort out - what the spanners and nigels do doesn't impact on what we have to do.
    Do you really think that Palace and Millwall both having Category 1 academies doesn’t impact on what Charlton do ? It would be a disaster.
    Did I say that?

Read what I said again. It doesn't impact what we have to do - i.e. get Cat 1. It would impact us greatly if we don't do what we have to do, which has f*ck all to do with what they do.
  • Options
    I suspect that nearly all London clubs have training grounds either on Green Belt land of some sort or Metropolitan Open Land. After all most large, flat plots of land around London which weren't protected in some way would have disappeared years ago.

Ultimately training grounds will still be 90-95% open land in the same way that golf courses are predominantly still open land, and the land is still protected so that the football club couldn't then just flog the site for housing afterwards for a big profit. Hence Roland couldn't just flog Sparrows Lane to a builder
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I suspect that nearly all London clubs have training grounds either on Green Belt land of some sort or Metropolitan Open Land. After all most large, flat plots of land around London which weren't protected in some way would have disappeared years ago.

Ultimately training grounds will still be 90-95% open land in the same way that golf courses are predominantly still open land, and the land is still protected so that the football club couldn't then just flog the site for housing afterwards for a big profit. Hence Roland couldn't just flog Sparrows Lane to a builder
    This is probably true (of the clubs with training grounds in London), but the status is still important in order to protect the land and a departure for the local plan has to be justified - development has to be ancillary and sensitively designed. It is why Sparrows Lane is worth far less than The Valley, insofar as either has a meaningful value. Both have a level of protection but the built-up nature and urban location of The Valley makes it more vulnerable.
  • Options
    1. The spanner’s after Cat  A status who’d thought it ! 😉
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Be more bothered if they were building all this on our patch / the suburbs - got a ground miles away from 90% of their fans and will now have a training ground in the middle of nowhere - seems good to me 
    The majority of our ST holders are still SE London based. 

I’d say charlton probably have a higher percentage of fans who live in kent and beyond and miles away from their ground. I rarely meet charlton fans in SE London these days. 
    I’d be confident that more of our fans live within say 5 miles of the ground than yours do and wouldn’t be surprised if more of your fans live closer to the valley now than the new den 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Be more bothered if they were building all this on our patch / the suburbs - got a ground miles away from 90% of their fans and will now have a training ground in the middle of nowhere - seems good to me 

I’d say charlton probably have a higher percentage of fans who live in kent and beyond and miles away from their ground. I rarely meet charlton fans in SE London these days. 
    I’d be confident that more of our fans live within say 5 miles of the ground than yours do and wouldn’t be surprised if more of your fans live closer to the valley now than the new den 
    The white flight I believe bermugees call it 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Incorrect. 
    You’re forgetting that big stinky tip, there’ll be loads of spanners in there….
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

well we’ll never know if that’s true or not but something I do know for a fact is that the majority of our ST holders are still from SE postcodes so your 90% figure is way off the mark. 

Granted a lot of our fans have moved out but plenty of Millwall still on the old manors of Peckham, new cross, deptford, Walworth etc. Bermondsey and Rotherhithe is still rammed with Millwall. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m sure Airman will have the data / will have compiled a dossier on it so will be able to adjudicate 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

well we’ll never know if that’s true or not but something I do know for a fact is that the majority of our ST holders are still from SE postcodes so your 90% figure is way off the mark. 

Granted a lot of our fans have moved out but plenty of Millwall still on the old manors of Peckham, new cross, deptford, Walworth etc. Bermondsey and Rotherhithe is still rammed with Millwall. 

Loads in Eltham when I lived there....probably 50/50 with Charlton.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Yeah a lot of people moved out to Eltham from New Cross and deptford in the 70’s. It was an overspill for those areas. I know loads of Millwall from eltham and the surrounding areas 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Yeah a lot of people moved out to Eltham from New Cross and deptford in the 70’s. It was an overspill for those areas. I know loads of Millwall from eltham and the surrounding areas 
    Wife's mate lives in Ilderton Road, she and her sister support Liverpool, but do have a soft spot the local team.....my misses is originally from Rotherhithe but I've managed to sway her to supporting/liking Charlton.
  • Options
    Just out of interest do the spanner’s rent or own their current exercise yards in SE9?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Just out of interest do the spanner’s rent or own their current exercise yards in SE9?
    I would check the Probation Service website for that sort of info.

Https://cheekyscamps.gov.uk
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    The spanners rent their current exercise yard
    Shifting out to W Kingsdown should keep things familiar for the players during the week and the weekend, given the high density of criminality (petty and not so petty) in the neighbourhood of the proposed training ground and the locality of the rusting toolbox.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    T_C_E said:
    The spanners rent their current exercise yard
    Shifting out to W Kingsdown should keep things familiar for the players during the week and the weekend, given the high density of criminality (petty and not so petty) in the neighbourhood of the proposed training ground and the locality of the rusting toolbox.
    Ok Then GIF by Reactions  Gfycat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Winner of the ‘never gonna happen’ awards 2022, 2023, 2024 and so on
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I reckon we own at least as much of ours as you do yours  ;)
    I was thinking out loud, your vacant training facility could be a great bargining tool for TS against RD. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    So close to Brands Hatch that when racing, practice or testing is going on (which is almost everyday in one way or another), shouted instructions to the players will not be heard…..add to that the constant background drone from the M20 will be extremely annoying……some air pollution considerations too.
    LOL…….😂😂😂
  • Options
    clive said:
    Want bet? 20 quid? Winnings go to The Upbeats? 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Want bet? 20 quid? Winnings go to The Upbeats? 
    Bet accepted - you may as well make the payment now 😃
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Well - fuck me - look at this

@Airman Brown you have the best understanding of the planning process on here - is this a cop out by Sevenoaks Council so that the decision is made by Central Government ??
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I think it has to be referred to the Secretary of State because it’s a departure from policy in the Green Belt, which has statutory protection. The SoS probably won’t call it in, they just have to be notified so they can if they think the council is making an unjustified decision.

The Green Belt doesn’t mean nothing can be built ever; it requires a higher and specific level of justification against any damage.
  • Options
    I think it has to be referred to the Secretary of State because it’s a departure from policy in the Green Belt, which has statutory protection. The SoS probably won’t call it in, they just have to be notified so they can if they think the council is making an unjustified decision.

The Green Belt doesn’t mean nothing can be built ever; it requires a higher and specific level of justification against any damage.
    Hey ho - I will have to ready up my £20 bet with @MillwallFan - I can’t see it being refused now, it’s hardly an area of AONB, given its next to the M20
  • Options
    And the majority of this will be football pitches, so easily revertible
  • Options
    With Palace in suburbia Beckenham and Millwall heading to Kent then South London is ours for the taking of we can get Cat1 and an owner with money. Location of Sparrows Lane a great advantage.  Never really understood why some fans were not bothered if we moved away.