Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing British Tennis…

Comments

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/59699022

The Battle of the Brits event organised by the Murrays has been called off due to the Covid situation

Also James Ward (Jacko's childhood friend) has announced his retirement
  • Options
    Emma just about to start her first match of 2022 and with the new coaching team. Very tough opponent though.
  • Options
    Emma just about to start her first match of 2022 and with the new coaching team. Very tough opponent though.
    She's getting absolutely hammered.
  • Options
    Beaten 6-0 6-1
  • Options
    She's getting absolutely hammered.
    Is that not frowned upon, whilst playing tennis..
  • Options
    Beaten 6-0 6-1
    Oh dear. I wonder why such a turnaround in form. Appreciate a lot has been going on in her life and there have had to be a lot of changes but her form has taken such a massive nose dive
  • Options
    Beaten 6-0 6-1
    Oh dear. I wonder why such a turnaround in form. Appreciate a lot has been going on in her life and there have had to be a lot of changes but her form has taken such a massive nose dive
    Hitherto she has played with freedom and self belief.
    Now she has the weight of expectation and her opponents see her as a scalp worth taking
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't forget she has just recovered from COVID so possibly lacking fitness.
  • Options
    She did well at Wimbledon and won the US Open but her form apart from that in other tournaments has been poor. Expectations are far too high at present.

She needs to start winning a few matches.
  • Options
    So many first time Slam winners, especially on the women's side, seem to struggle really badly afterwards. 
  • Options
    Murray up against Nikoloz Basilashvili tomorrow - will be a good test
  • Options
    So many first time Slam winners, especially on the women's side, seem to struggle really badly afterwards. 
    There is no strength in depth on the women's tour - results are far more inconsistent.
  • Options
  • Options
    Raducanu is refreshingly honest about where she is and in admitting that very thing she is mature far beyond her age. She hasn't played for ages and has just had Covid. But we cannot expect her to get any consistency until she fully understands her own game and that might take a few years. 

She's hardly played any tennis at the top level and won a Grand Slam because of her talent, the exuberance of youth and because all the stars happened to align at the same time. I would liken that performance to Zak Crawley's 267 for England - everything he did there was probably on instinct but his subsequent performances lead me to believe that he didn't actually understand how he got there. His last innings was the first time since that he actually looked in command and an imposing opening Test batsman. 

I still hope that Raducanu wins the Australian Open but I certainly wouldn't be backing her to do so. Ultimately though, she will be one hell of a player.
    She needs a full year on the tour before we can start getting a real idea of where she ranks. The random results on the women's tour reflect how inconsistent the players are compared to the men's tour.
  • Options
    Raducanu is refreshingly honest about where she is and in admitting that very thing she is mature far beyond her age. She hasn't played for ages and has just had Covid. But we cannot expect her to get any consistency until she fully understands her own game and that might take a few years. 

She's hardly played any tennis at the top level and won a Grand Slam because of her talent, the exuberance of youth and because all the stars happened to align at the same time. I would liken that performance to Zak Crawley's 267 for England - everything he did there was probably on instinct but his subsequent performances lead me to believe that he didn't actually understand how he got there. His last innings was the first time since that he actually looked in command and an imposing opening Test batsman. 

I still hope that Raducanu wins the Australian Open but I certainly wouldn't be backing her to do so. Ultimately though, she will be one hell of a player.
    She needs a full year on the tour before we can start getting a real idea of where she ranks. The random results on the women's tour reflect how inconsistent the players are compared to the men's tour.
    Agreed. She definitely has the ability, shots, determination and character etc - you don't achieve what she did without them. Personally I have no expectations for a year or two when things normalise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good victory for Dan Evans.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Cracking victory for Murray against the No2 seed today(world 23). His backhand and serve were really good .
  • Options
    Cracking victory for Murray against the No2 seed today(world 23). His backhand and serve were really good .
    Murray struggles to follow up great wins, it's as if physically he can't raise himself again as so often the next match is a damp squib
  • Options
    Murray struggles to follow up great wins, it's as if physically he can't raise himself again as so often the next match is a damp squib
    Playing David Goffin next who he'd expect to beat. Needs to get a few wins together to start climbing the rankings.

I hope physically he'll be up for the next match. The game today was over three hours.
  • Options
    Great result for Andy. 2022 is now or never for him you'd have to think.
  • Options
    Needs to get into the top 100 and work his way up. Played some really good tennis today and we just have to hope his fitness holds up.

He's shown such determination getting over surgery and I hope he can start contending again.
  • Options

Agreed. She definitely has the ability, shots, determination and character etc - you don't achieve what she did without them. Personally I have no expectations for a year or two when things normalise.
    She lost to the World number 13 in her first match back not a mug.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/59976588

Tough draws for Raducanu and Norrie.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Needs to get into the top 100 and work his way up. Played some really good tennis today and we just have to hope his fitness holds up.

He's shown such determination getting over surgery and I hope he can start contending again.
    Through to semi final at Sydney after Goffin retires. Murray took first set 6-2.

Faces Opelka(world no 26).

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/59976588

Tough draws for Raducanu and Norrie.
    Evans has a good draw against Goffin and Murray up against Basilashvili again which will be difficult.