Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• Sods Law overrules any scientific prediction. It'll be bloody freezing this year, just wait and see!
  • edited September 2022
    Sods Law overrules any scientific prediction. It'll be bloody freezing this year, just wait and see!
    Bournemouth is sub tropical compared to Yorkshire. Man up.
  • IdleHans said:
    I'm doing my bit. Completely stopped hoovering and ironing, and have just stacked about 800 logs in the shed. Have that, Putin!
    I'm just singing Rule Britannia and waving my union jack flag really fast, hoping that I can generate the energy required to heat my house that way
  • Boris gave his last speech today and gave this piece of advice 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We have waited ages for Boris Johnson &amp; the Govt of which Liz Truss is a part to advise us what we should do about the extraordinary living crisis that we are facing and FINALLY who knew the answer was a NEW KETTLE?<br><br> <a href="https://t.co/ySR9WICH6w">pic.twitter.com/ySR9WICH6w</a></p>&mdash; nazir afzal (@nazirafzal) <a href="">September 1, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  • edited September 2022
    IdleHans said:
    I'm doing my bit. Completely stopped hoovering and ironing, and have just stacked about 800 logs in the shed. Have that, Putin!
    I take you taken to saving water by not flushing, by putting your logs in the shed.
  • cabbles said:
    IdleHans said:
    I'm just singing Rule Britannia and waving my union jack flag really fast, hoping that I can generate the energy required to heat my house that way
    Whilst hoping the aliens come and rescue you 👽 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We have waited ages for Boris Johnson &amp; the Govt of which Liz Truss is a part to advise us what we should do about the extraordinary living crisis that we are facing and FINALLY who knew the answer was a NEW KETTLE?<br><br> <a href="https://t.co/ySR9WICH6w">pic.twitter.com/ySR9WICH6w</a></p>&mdash; nazir afzal (@nazirafzal) <a href="">September 1, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    WTF.
    Regardless of how quick you boil a litre of water, it requires the same amount of energy.
  • edited September 2022
    Luckily the country will be rioting and we will be able to keep warm from the fires in every high street.
    Apparantly.

The contrary view on that clip. 

Difficult to trust journalists sometimes. Too much of our ‘news’ is sound bites and headlines. 

Haven’t seen a recording of the speech beyond the headline but as with lots of opinions on what government can/should/are/are not doing we don’t always get the whole picture. 

Difficult to trust journalists sometimes. Too much of our ‘news’ is sound bites and headlines. 

Haven’t seen a recording of the speech beyond the headline but as with lots of opinions on what government can/should/are/are not doing we don’t always get the whole picture. 

I heard most of the speech and as usual it was all waffle and soundbites.
  • Sponsored links:

The funny thing about this if true, is that he has proved so incompetent, that no one has trouble believing he said that in the context it had been portrayed.
  • Probably got a mate who runs a kettle making factory.

Fair enough.

It's a shame more people didn't apply the same scrutiny to the endless lies and rubbish produced by the likes of Johnson when he was making a living spouting bullshit about the EU. Maybe we would be in a better position now if they did. 
  • Probably got a mate who runs a kettle making factory.
    Probably just placed a multimillion kettle order with a mate who doesn't 

Fair enough.

It's a shame more people didn't apply the same scrutiny to the endless lies and rubbish produced by the likes of Johnson when he was making a living spouting bullshit about the EU. Maybe we would be in a better position now if they did. 
    Well quite. The remain campaign has a lot to answer for  

the good thing is should we go down a Scottish independence vote again you’d expect better questions and debate. 
  • The remainers have nothing whatsoever to answer for.
    The vote was a simple binary choice that assumed all voters knew four things.

The meaning of the word remain.
    The meaning of the word leave.
    What the UK is (or was).
    What the EU is (or was).

There is nothing in those four things that either remainers or leavers have to answer for.

• If the Scottish Nationalists want a referendum, they simply have to detail what happens on the Scotland/England land border in specific practical terms.
    That might focus the minds of voters.
  • edited September 2022
    seth plum said:
    If the Scottish Nationalists want a referendum, they simply have to detail what happens on the Scotland/England land border in specific practical terms.
    At this point even after a vote for Scottish independence there is no need for a border other than what is currently there. Scotland is not part of the EU and accession would take some years. 
  • I understand that both Scotland and England are both somehow not part of the EU.
    But surely if Scotland votes not to be part of the UK then there is some kind of new border created.
    Maybe I am missing something, but I assume leaving means not still being joined except geographically.
    Mexico and the USA are joined geographically, but one suggestion has been to build a wall between those two places.
  • seth plum said:
    If the Scottish Nationalists want a referendum, they simply have to detail what happens on the Scotland/England land border in specific practical terms.
    My point exactly but it’s more than the border practicalities. 

Who owns North Sea oil / gas for example - to get us back on track of this thread. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I suppose international law kicks in.
  • seth plum said:
    I suppose international law kicks in.

To be seen I guess. But as ever it will be up for debate and require clearer articulation so alll sides know what’s at stake. 
  • seth plum said:
    I understand that both Scotland and England are both somehow not part of the EU.
    But surely if Scotland votes not to be part of the UK then there is some kind of new border created.
    Maybe I am missing something, but I assume leaving means not still being joined except geographically.
    Mexico and the USA are joined geographically, but one suggestion has been to build a wall between those two places.
    There doesn’t have to be any border control even though there is a border geographically. There’s a border now. Should Scotland ultimately join the EU then in the absence of the problems associated with the NI border I assume a hard border will be put in place. 
  • seth plum said:
    I understand that both Scotland and England are both somehow not part of the EU.
    I think you'll find we've already got one
  • Just need a couple of courses of brickwork on Hadrians Wall and job done. 
  • MrWalker said:
    Horsesa 2 now the world's largest.
    Good news.

BBC today.

The world's largest offshore wind farm is now fully operational, 55 miles off the coast of Yorkshire.

The Hornsea 2 project can generate enough electricity to power about 1.3 million homes - that's enough for a city the size of Manchester.

A decade ago renewables made up just 11% of the UK's energy mix. By 2021 it was 40%, with offshore wind the largest component.

Hornsea 2 is part of a huge wind farm development by energy firm Orsted.

"The UK is one of the world leaders in offshore wind," Patrick Harnett,

This is good news isn't it ME14?
  • We signed a striker yet.
  • MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:
    Good news.

BBC today.

The world's largest offshore wind farm is now fully operational, 55 miles off the coast of Yorkshire.

The Hornsea 2 project can generate enough electricity to power about 1.3 million homes - that's enough for a city the size of Manchester.

A decade ago renewables made up just 11% of the UK's energy mix. By 2021 it was 40%, with offshore wind the largest component.

Great news we are paying the highest energy prices in Europe. Including countries who rely on Russian gas.
  • MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:
    Good news.

BBC today.

Great news we are paying the highest energy prices in Europe. Including countries who rely on Russian gas.
    Don't let the truth get in the way........

Electricity we are one of the top yes, but Gas we're not even mid table or top ten.