Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Rothko said:
    Huskaris said:
    Rothko said:
    BTW, Insulate Britain were right, moan about the tactics all you like, but we have a serious insulation problem in this country, and this winter, whilst bad would be better if we lived in houses that didn't bleed energy out of every wall 
    I don't remember anyone saying they were wrong.
    I didn't say anyone did, people were happy to complain about the tactics
    Well you strongly implied it, but leaving that to one side, as someone who fully believes in climate change, arseholes like that are the biggest harm to the cause. 

It's the same with many causes, often the strongest advocates are the ones who drive people away. Many things I agree with leave me totally alienated by the obnoxious arseholes who define their life by the cause.
  • edited August 2022
    Everyone is going to have to move away from oil and gas to heat their homes anyway, so to not start that process now, with all the new homes being built is very short sighted.  Much easier to put in renewable sources whilst a property is being built, than to have to install them in 10 years time.

The climate emergency is here now and we can't keep kicking the can down the road.  Every part of the world is experiencing extreme conditions right now and it will only accelerate in the next few years.

I have little sympathy with developers, they are in cahoots with the Government and when they apply for planning permission almost always try to reduce the number of affordable properties and get their way with fewer environmental and infrastructure mitigations so they can make more profit.

• edited August 2022
    This is another very enlightening thread from Richard Murphy, who explains why the idea that borrowing now will saddle future generations with debt, is false.

It is often said that if the government borrows we, as a generation, will leave debt for our grandchildren to repay. This, however, is wrong. The belief is based on a number of falsehoods, which are compounded to create a myth that both facts and history contradict. A thread….

— Richard Murphy (@RichardJMurphy) August 30, 2022
  • This is another very enlightening thread from Richard Murphy, who explains why the idea that borrowing now will saddle future generations with debt, is false.

It is often said that if the government borrows we, as a generation, will leave debt for our grandchildren to repay. This, however, is wrong. The belief is based on a number of falsehoods, which are compounded to create a myth that both facts and history contradict. A thread….

— Richard Murphy (@RichardJMurphy) August 30, 2022
    That's a pretty dreadful, one-sided article written by an accountant and not an economist (and it shows). 

It's true that national banks can create money to pay off past borrowing and of course they do. It's not true that they can just do this as much as they want with no consequences. Otherwise we would have brilliantly funded public services and no taxes. In a low inflation, stable exonomy, there's quite a lot of leeway for a country like the UK, with a reasonably stable currency and an excellent record of paying its debts to create money. But too much and you trigger hyper-nflation and devalue the currency significantly. It's right that QE doesn't require payment by future generations of Govt debt - obviously as it is used primarily to actually buy back debt so that the BoE owns it. But Govt borrrowing (usually by issuing bonds) obviously does require repayment (or purchase) plus interest. 
  • Huskaris said:
    I wouldn’t feel too sorry for these developers.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/redrow-record-strong-first-half-23063399

Rather than be dragged kicking and screaming by planners and the government, perhaps some of these developers should be showing us the way and be adding green initiatives as a standard. 
    Where did I suggest we feel sorry for them? That article suggests a profit margin of 19.5% which might be less than some think. 

My point was that means developers won’t squeeze their own profits further without government intervention. 

Property is too expensive for many so pushing up price by insisting green initiatives won’t on its own help. 
    Yup.

Why won't these scumbag developers make more cheap housing?

Why won't these scumbag developers put solar panels on everything?

I know we are writing the Communist manifesto in here and that's brilliant because it hopefully keeps it off the rest of the forum, but it's largely, to quote Chris Morris, ill informed and pig ignorant. .

Something does need to be done, but expecting developers to just magic up the solution without increasing the cost is a typical example, of which there are many, where those on the left have no concept of money, which is probably no coincidental thing. 
    The maximum solar currently allowed to be installed on a residential property is 4kw. AndyG said his company can supply and install this for under £4k. If he can do that at this price so can developers. If this cost is passed on to the house buyer without added profit that would mean that if someone was buying first time with a mortgage the deposit amount at 10% would go up £400 and the amount added to the loan would be £3,600.

I have a 4kw Solar array on my house and make approximately £800 per year from electricity generated paid at £0.08 per kw. Which would make this worth while even if the amount received doesn’t go up as it should. If however you are at home in the day and can use this electricity instead of buying any in at £0.52 per kw you could potentially save £5,200 per year. Seems worth it to me, providing the developers only actually pass on the true cost.
  • Huskaris said:
    AndyG said:
    Article from 2015 when the Government decided to scrap the zero carbon homes plan. How much better off the owners of new houses built since 2015 would be now, if all of them had been built with greener forms of energy.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/10/uk-scraps-zero-carbon-home-target
    Not too far from where I currently live there is an enormous housing development called City Fields. It’s a 375 hectare space with developments by all the usual housing builders including Redrow, Miller, Bellway, Avant. Some phases are built and have people living in them and others are still under construction. I pass by it when I’m going to work and it occurred to me that I can’t see one house anywhere that’s got solar panels fitted. Not one. That’s not to say there are not some somewhere but I’m betting if there are, which I doubt if I’m honest there are not many. This development has over 1000 homes and I think it’s a disgrace that newly built homes are not being made to be constructed with at least solar energy. This crisis has reached boiling point but the need for new developments to have built in solar should have been mandatory for at least five years. 
    This is because new build properties have to meet certain SAP ratings in energy efficiency. If they can get away with it the big developers wont put renewables in. They build down to a price not to a specification. In Wales any new development can now only be built if the have heat pumps and solar
    @Huskaris

Consider the above in the context of your last (quite hollow) post 

Adding e.g. solar panels to a new build will indeed push up prices slightly - for both builder and purchaser. The idea, though, is that it saves money dor the home owner in the short to medium term and - critically - reduces carbon emissions at a time when that really needs to happen asap.

Are the Welsh govt who legislated to make all properties have solar and heat pumps a bunch of lefty communists with no clue about money?

Out of interest, do you see human lead climate change as an immediate threat to continuation of humanity on Earth? That seems as good a place as any to find harmonious common ground (you like that idea, right?) about why new build building regs should specify the use of renewables (rather than a bunch of hollow ad hominem attacks)

Hey mate, I'm glad your obsession with me isn't abating at all. You make me feel special. 

I'm just talking about pricing and expectations. Re-read what I wrote and it should go into even the densest of heads.

We aren't disagreeing at all, well, you are choosing to, but apart from that, we aren't. 

As long as you are happy with people that currently can't get on the housing ladder, having even higher cash requirements to be able to get on the housing ladder, I'm all cool with that, I'm guessing you aren't on the ladder already otherwise your argument around pricing would come across as ignorant to the extent of being an evil Tory. 

And as a side note, yes, the Welsh government are a bunch of lefties with no clue about money.
    As ever, it's extremely difficult to reason with you 

How about my question about human created climate change being a serious threat to humanity's continued existence? 

That is a good starting point to work from...

...or not 
  • Huskaris said:

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/redrow-record-strong-first-half-23063399

Rather than be dragged kicking and screaming by planners and the government, perhaps some of these developers should be showing us the way and be adding green initiatives as a standard. 
    Where did I suggest we feel sorry for them? That article suggests a profit margin of 19.5% which might be less than some think. 

My point was that means developers won’t squeeze their own profits further without government intervention. 

Property is too expensive for many so pushing up price by insisting green initiatives won’t on its own help. 
    Yup.

I know we are writing the Communist manifesto in here and that's brilliant because it hopefully keeps it off the rest of the forum, but it's largely, to quote Chris Morris, ill informed and pig ignorant. .

Something does need to be done, but expecting developers to just magic up the solution without increasing the cost is a typical example, of which there are many, where those on the left have no concept of money, which is probably no coincidental thing. 
    The maximum solar currently allowed to be installed on a residential property is 4kw. AndyG said his company can supply and install this for under £4k. If he can do that at this price so can developers. If this cost is passed on to the house buyer without added profit that would mean that if someone was buying first time with a mortgage the deposit amount at 10% would go up £400 and the amount added to the loan would be £3,600.

I have a 4kw Solar array on my house and make approximately £800 per year from electricity generated paid at £0.08 per kw. Which would make this worth while even if the amount received doesn’t go up as it should. If however you are at home in the day and can use this electricity instead of buying any in at £0.52 per kw you could potentially save £5,200 per year. Seems worth it to me, providing the developers only actually pass on the true cost.
    Exactly
  • Huskaris said:

Yup.

You generate 8,000 kw you don't use? You in Cyprus or something!

I'm struggling to find anyone to install something at a decent price TBH, even without batteries I'm being told 'in the region of 8k'.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    AndyG said:
    Article from 2015 when the Government decided to scrap the zero carbon homes plan. How much better off the owners of new houses built since 2015 would be now, if all of them had been built with greener forms of energy.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/10/uk-scraps-zero-carbon-home-target
    Not too far from where I currently live there is an enormous housing development called City Fields. It’s a 375 hectare space with developments by all the usual housing builders including Redrow, Miller, Bellway, Avant. Some phases are built and have people living in them and others are still under construction. I pass by it when I’m going to work and it occurred to me that I can’t see one house anywhere that’s got solar panels fitted. Not one. That’s not to say there are not some somewhere but I’m betting if there are, which I doubt if I’m honest there are not many. This development has over 1000 homes and I think it’s a disgrace that newly built homes are not being made to be constructed with at least solar energy. This crisis has reached boiling point but the need for new developments to have built in solar should have been mandatory for at least five years. 
    This is because new build properties have to meet certain SAP ratings in energy efficiency. If they can get away with it the big developers wont put renewables in. They build down to a price not to a specification. In Wales any new development can now only be built if the have heat pumps and solar
    @Huskaris

Adding e.g. solar panels to a new build will indeed push up prices slightly - for both builder and purchaser. The idea, though, is that it saves money dor the home owner in the short to medium term and - critically - reduces carbon emissions at a time when that really needs to happen asap.

Are the Welsh govt who legislated to make all properties have solar and heat pumps a bunch of lefty communists with no clue about money?

Out of interest, do you see human lead climate change as an immediate threat to continuation of humanity on Earth? That seems as good a place as any to find harmonious common ground (you like that idea, right?) about why new build building regs should specify the use of renewables (rather than a bunch of hollow ad hominem attacks)

Before I had a new gas boiler installed I looked at heat pumps and spoke to 3 people who had them (air source), put me off totally. It may be more efficient/better for the environment but they don't work particularly well, especially in deepest darkest winter when you really need them, 2 of the three said they hadn't saved much cost either, one thought it may be dearer!
    I spoke to a couple of heating engineers about heat pumps when i was replacing my combi boiler . They may have been talking their own book , but they said reliability is really bad and life span is shorter than a boiler 
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:

@Huskaris

Slight may not be accurate. The costs are quite high and not necessarily absorbable. 

As I say government subsidy is probably what’s needed. 
  • Huskaris said:

Yup.

Exactly
    Dont know anyone who generates more than 3,000 kw per year.
    Maybe I only know people with tiny homes?
  • Some hope at last. Wholesale gas prices have dropped 20% as Germany and other countries start reaching their storage capacities
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Huskaris said:

Yup.

You generate 8,000 kw you don't use? You in Cyprus or something!

I'm struggling to find anyone to install something at a decent price TBH, even without batteries I'm being told 'in the region of 8k'.
    Not quite, I’m on an old feed in tariff where I get paid for what I generate and also what I use, so I still get paid for some of the electricity while I’m using it. But despite that at current rates and even more so with the new rates to buy electricity it would still be more cost effective if I could use all that I make rather than sell it back to the grid. If sensible fair prices were paid for electricity produced there wouldn’t be a need for anyone to have batteries fitted to a domestic property and associated costs as you would be able to export when you where generating and buy in at a very slightly higher price when needing it. This would incentify many more people to fit solar to their properties and reduce overall demand on electricity generated by other means. 

But even at today's rate it is still cost effective if you have the money to invest. Previously I have not though too much about when I use my electricity, but now I do all my clothes washing, dishwasher on etc when I am generating electricity.
  • Another point regarding investing in solar, if you think that overall inflation (not just fuel inflation) will continue to run quite high for a period. Then making a capital investment like that might be a good use of money if you are lucky enough to have savings held in cash. I would be surprised if interest rates get anywhere near inflation rates, so money held will just be depreciating.
  • Have been worrying a lot about the price increases over the winter so been avoiding the topic. Opened the thread tonight on page 7 (Oct 21) at my last visit to discover I fixed my electric and gas then out to Dec 23. Logged into our supplier account just now to see it confirmed.

Genuinely feel like I’ve just had a big win. Don’t know much about this stuff and think I only fixed last Oct off the back of reading the contributions on here. 
    You're welcome.
  • Jints said:
    Some hope at last. Wholesale gas prices have dropped 20% as Germany and other countries start reaching their storage capacities
    not out of the woods yet, but price was unsustainable. Retail customers won't feel the benefit til into the second half of the winter imo.
  • Jints said:
    Some hope at last. Wholesale gas prices have dropped 20% as Germany and other countries start reaching their storage capacities
    not out of the woods yet, but price was unsustainable. Retail customers won't feel the benefit til into the second half of the winter imo.
    Definitely wouldn’t be popping any champagne yet - even with the increased storage capability in Europe I would expect demand, and this wholesale pricing, to increase over the autumn/winter. 
  • se9addick said:
    Jints said:
    Definitely wouldn’t be popping any champagne yet - even with the increased storage capability in Europe I would expect demand, and this wholesale pricing, to increase over the autumn/winter. 
    ... and Russia have just shut down Nordstream 1 again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Germany not that bothered now as they have spent 6 months buying all the gas they can, inflating prices,  to make up for their disastrous reliance on Russia.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Decouple the price from Gas and allow onshore wind, and we’ll be in a healthier place
  • se9addick said:
    MrWalker said:
    Germany not that bothered now as they have spent 6 months buying all the gas they can, inflating prices,  to make up for their disastrous reliance on Russia.
    Getting rejected by a German girl whilst you were on a lads holiday in Magaluf when you were 17 seems to have had a profound impact on you. 
    Hope you're enjoying yours.

• Have been worrying a lot about the price increases over the winter so been avoiding the topic. Opened the thread tonight on page 7 (Oct 21) at my last visit to discover I fixed my electric and gas then out to Dec 23. Logged into our supplier account just now to see it confirmed.

Genuinely feel like I’ve just had a big win. Don’t know much about this stuff and think I only fixed last Oct off the back of reading the contributions on here. 
    You prompted me to check mine.

Logged into EON to find a massive update notice on my account saying 'It's time to renew your tariff'. Cheapest one on offer is £200+ more per month.

Checked my contract and I'm actually covered at my current price til Oct 2023. Total cnts the lot of these energy firms, wonder how many would have switched without checking.
  • FT

Eurozone inflation forecast to stay higher for longer as gas prices surge

Economists predict consumer prices will exceed 10% this year, and recession will hit bloc in 2023

Inflation continued to surge in Germany, where consumer prices rose 8.8 per cent in the year to August, driven up from 8.4 per cent in July by soaring energy and food prices, hitting its highest level for more than 40 years.

Meanwhile a flash estimate released on Tuesday showed Spanish inflation had fallen to 10.3 per cent in August as a result of a decline in fuel prices, even as the cost of other consumer goods and services continued rising.
  • Horsesa 2 now the world's largest.
    Good news.

BBC today.

The world's largest offshore wind farm is now fully operational, 55 miles off the coast of Yorkshire.

The Hornsea 2 project can generate enough electricity to power about 1.3 million homes - that's enough for a city the size of Manchester.

A decade ago renewables made up just 11% of the UK's energy mix. By 2021 it was 40%, with offshore wind the largest component.

Hornsea 2 is part of a huge wind farm development by energy firm Orsted.

"The UK is one of the world leaders in offshore wind," Patrick Harnett,

• MrWalker said:

FT

Eurozone inflation forecast to stay higher for longer as gas prices surge

Economists predict consumer prices will exceed 10% this year, and recession will hit bloc in 2023

Inflation continued to surge in Germany, where consumer prices rose 8.8 per cent in the year to August, driven up from 8.4 per cent in July by soaring energy and food prices, hitting its highest level for more than 40 years.

Meanwhile a flash estimate released on Tuesday showed Spanish inflation had fallen to 10.3 per cent in August as a result of a decline in fuel prices, even as the cost of other consumer goods and services continued rising.
    Ours is 10.1% and still rising if you missed the last few pages. 
  • nordstream turned off, price of gas goes down... putin's overplayed his hand (again)