Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• MrWalker said:

FT

Eurozone inflation forecast to stay higher for longer as gas prices surge

Economists predict consumer prices will exceed 10% this year, and recession will hit bloc in 2023

Inflation continued to surge in Germany, where consumer prices rose 8.8 per cent in the year to August, driven up from 8.4 per cent in July by soaring energy and food prices, hitting its highest level for more than 40 years.

Meanwhile a flash estimate released on Tuesday showed Spanish inflation had fallen to 10.3 per cent in August as a result of a decline in fuel prices, even as the cost of other consumer goods and services continued rising.
    We can only dream of those inflation figures. We’re looking at 22% according to Goldman Sachs forecasts 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/get-ready-for-22-inflation-goldman-sachs-warns-p97ncvdz0
  • Wholesale gas prices tumble as Europe prepares to intervene in energy markets

European Commission says it is working ‘flat out’ on emergency intervention and on longer-term structural reform

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/30/wholesale-gas-prices-tumble-as-europe-prepares-to-intervene-in-energy-markets

• MrWalker said:

FT

Eurozone inflation forecast to stay higher for longer as gas prices surge

Economists predict consumer prices will exceed 10% this year, and recession will hit bloc in 2023

Inflation continued to surge in Germany, where consumer prices rose 8.8 per cent in the year to August, driven up from 8.4 per cent in July by soaring energy and food prices, hitting its highest level for more than 40 years.

Meanwhile a flash estimate released on Tuesday showed Spanish inflation had fallen to 10.3 per cent in August as a result of a decline in fuel prices, even as the cost of other consumer goods and services continued rising.
    Ours is 10.1% and still rising if you missed the last few pages. 
    So you are repeating old news, I'm adding new.
  • Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Decouple the price from Gas and allow onshore wind, and we’ll be in a healthier place
    This is part of the approach the EU are currently seeking agreement on I believe?

I'd have been very interested in more detail on the PM-elect's plans as to how she's going to tackle all this, particularly this approach. But she was too busy to be interviewed and tell us all yesterday. Seems reasonable, given there are businesses currently making the decision whether to continue operating or wind things up now and cut their losses. 

And the actual PM is currently dipping into the dressing up box for the last time and has gone on a lap of honour for the week.

Still, how about those German's eh..? 
    Are you suggesting that no mention be made, on the day their Russian pipeline is all over every news outlet, of the Germans? Maybe you should write to every media outlet to stop them making any mention of anyone other than the UK?

The second article also mentioned the Spanish - off limits to your rules as well? No comparisons can be made with other countries going through similar difficulties? Why not?

• MrWalker said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Decouple the price from Gas and allow onshore wind, and we’ll be in a healthier place
    This is part of the approach the EU are currently seeking agreement on I believe?

I'd have been very interested in more detail on the PM-elect's plans as to how she's going to tackle all this, particularly this approach. But she was too busy to be interviewed and tell us all yesterday. Seems reasonable, given there are businesses currently making the decision whether to continue operating or wind things up now and cut their losses. 

And the actual PM is currently dipping into the dressing up box for the last time and has gone on a lap of honour for the week.

Are you suggesting that no mention be made, on the day their Russian pipeline is all over every news outlet, of the Germans? Maybe you should write to every media outlet to stop them making any mention of anyone other than the UK?

The second article also mentioned the Spanish - off limits to your rules as well? No comparisons can be made with other countries going through similar difficulties? Why not?

Because regardless of the reality you single out Germany for criticism whenever possible. 
  • Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Do you believe we aren’t talking to our European colleagues on this at all?

we may not be in the EU but we still engage and work together on matters. 
  • edited August 2022
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

The EU supplies a lot of electricity to the UK.
    70% in Northern Ireland I believe.
    Northern Ireland is part of 'we' I believe, and yet is very much 'in the EU'.
    Indeed the whole of the UK has not left the whole of the EU as voted for, vote leave has not been enacted.
    I doubt very much if 'our European colleagues' as you put it are particularly interested in 'talking' to the UK, having been told they need us more than we need them.
  • Apologies for a non energy related post but can you imagine the Daily Mail and Express next year when us Brits are going to have to have our fingerprints scanned and photographs taken to gain entry into the EU. I can’t wait for those headlines.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    MrWalker said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Because regardless of the reality you single out Germany for criticism whenever possible. 
    Pesky, inconvenient facts being reported in the news. 'Single out' Sigh.

On this very page I've stated how early Germany adopted wind power and how the UK should have done the same. But never mind if it doesnt fit your narrative.

• Apologies for a non energy related post but can you imagine the Daily Mail and Express next year when us Brits are going to have to have our fingerprints scanned and photographs taken to gain entry into the EU. I can’t wait for those headlines.
    Leave means leave 😉
  • seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Indeed the whole of the UK has not left the whole of the EU as voted for, vote leave has not been enacted.
    I doubt very much if 'our European colleagues' as you put it are particularly interested in 'talking' to the UK, having been told they need us more than we need them.
    Enough of your Brexit fixation 

It’s a global energy market and we are working with our European counterparts 
  • No we voted leave means leave but as always our politicians lied and didn’t deliver. 
    say what they will do never do it. 
    Stamer saying his going to hand out to everyone money to pay there energy bills even millionaires.and tories saying they’ll only help poor there contrary. 
    Just looking for votes but won’t sort nothing out. 
  • edited August 2022
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I mean I neither said this nor was it the point being made.

We might be talking to the EU about it, we might not. If I were guessing, I'd say relationships are at a pretty low point all around and the UK is now competing in the energy markets with neighbouring countries, so I'm not 100% confident we're taking as collaborative approach as you are. 

We don't know either way of course, because our government is pretty much awol at the moment, our Foreign Minister is too busy slagging off the French President for the enjoyment of her party members and the Energy Minister himself, Greg Hands btw, appears to be in the witness relocation programme rather than the household name he should be. What with it being an energy supply crisis and all...
  • seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Excuse me but according to the Express  ;)

• seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Are we?
  • se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Are we?
    It’s inconceivable we are not. 

We are jointly supporting Ukraine and a large part of that is the financial sanctions imposed including consideration of how Putin reacts to that vis a vis gas supplies. 

I agree the silence is deafening but that is a consequence of the Tory leadership vote which ends next week. Does not mean the government ministers and civil servants are sat twiddling their thumbs. Perception may be so but reality will surely be different. 
  • se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Are we?

We are jointly supporting Ukraine and a large part of that is the financial sanctions imposed including consideration of how Putin reacts to that vis a vis gas supplies. 

I agree the silence is deafening but that is a consequence of the Tory leadership vote which ends next week. Does not mean the government ministers and civil servants are sat twiddling their thumbs. Perception may be so but reality will surely be different. 
    You're putting a lot of faith in a government that has done absolutely nothing to warrant it
  • Croydon said:
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Are we?

You're putting a lot of faith in a government that has done absolutely nothing to warrant it
    Sanctions were imposed in collaboration. No government did that without thinking through the consequences. 
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I am not fixated by brexit because the word is meaningless, I am fixated by 'leave'.
    If 'working with' means the EU are supplying 70% of the electricity to one of the four countries of the Union then fine.
    I don't see it as working with them so much as buying off them.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I am not fixated by brexit because the word is meaningless, I am fixated by 'leave'.
    If 'working with' means the EU are supplying 70% of the electricity to one of the four countries of the Union then fine.
    No I do not mean that. I am not referring to Norttern Ireland. 

I mean (as you no doubt realise) that we work with European nations regardless of ‘leave’ and as in this case evidenced by coordinated financial sanctions on Russia. 
  • edited August 2022
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I mean (as you no doubt realise) that we work with European nations regardless of ‘leave’ and as in this case evidenced by coordinated financial sanctions on Russia. 
    I assume that when you use the word 'we' you are including Northern Ireland.
    I also assumed that you were talking about cooperation over the energy crisis, not the war in Ukraine.
    'Regardless of leave' confuses me because I thought the winning vote to leave is what is regarded these days in shaping how the UK and others get along.
    Apparently the aim is for the UK to be rule makers not rule takers, I suppose that's when leave fully happens.
    Didn't Liz Truss say the other day that the jury is out as to whether President Macron of France is a friend or a foe? Have I made that up? It would be rare for the UK to 'work with' a foe. I wonder when the jury will reach its verdict.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I assume that when you use the word 'we' you are including Northern Ireland.
    I also assumed that you were talking about cooperation over the energy crisis, not the war in Ukraine.
    'Regardless of leave' confuses me because I thought the winning vote to leave is what is regarded these days in shaping how the UK and others get along.
    Apparently the aim is for the UK to be rule makers not rule takers, I suppose that's when leave fully happens.
    Your fixation continues. I clarified that the UK will be working with other nations as to how to respond to the energy crisis and in my opinion to suggest those conversations are not happening is wide of the mark. 

The energy crisis is directly linked to Ukraine / Russia. 
  • Nothing wrong with a fixation.
    If conversations are happening in secret we don't know one way or the other.
    I agree that the energy crisis is directly linked to the war in Ukraine, whether any solution is to be found in collaboration and cooperation we wait to see.
    The evidence is very strong that the UK does not want any particular collaboration and co-operation with the remaining EU countries.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Don’t engage it, it doesn’t go away. 
  • se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Are we?

It’s entirely conceivable to me that we aren’t working with the EU on solutions to the energy crisis. Actually, I would be astonished if we were. 
  • edited September 2022
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Are we?

This government seems to have a quite a list of areas where it acts in a way inconceivable to convention, history, good practice and indeed the law. It's virtually made a political asset out of doing so in the eyes of its supporters. The Energy Minister, and the rest of the cabinet, are not involved in the leadership election and are failing in their duties to provide information and reassurance to the public and businesses.

I think there's also some revisionism going on around sanctions too. I seem to remember, for example, the UK being much slower to implement, more limited, sanctions than the EU, US, Canada, etc. at the start of the conflict. We also still don't sanction individuals that are sanctioned elsewhere. Some of whom of course are linked to Tory Party donors...
  • seth plum said:
    Nothing wrong with a fixation.
    If conversations are happening in secret we don't know one way or the other.
    I agree that the energy crisis is directly linked to the war in Ukraine, whether any solution is to be found in collaboration and cooperation we wait to see.
    The evidence is very strong that the UK does not want any particular collaboration and co-operation with the remaining EU countries.
    Schrodingers negotiations.
    Bring it on, as an adult i wont whinge about it.