Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Energy Bills

Comments

• Apologies for a non energy related post but can you imagine the Daily Mail and Express next year when us Brits are going to have to have our fingerprints scanned and photographs taken to gain entry into the EU. I can’t wait for those headlines.
    Bring it on, as an adult i wont whinge about it.
    Plenty will
  • In January there was a load of kerfuffle when the government rejected an interconnecting power cable between the UK and France.
    Look up AQUIND.
    Penny Mordaunt was delighted.
    So there is actual evidence of ‘working with’ not happening.
    It is one example of a ‘post the vote to leave’ event.

• edited September 2022
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Decouple the price from Gas and allow onshore wind, and we’ll be in a healthier place
    This is part of the approach the EU are currently seeking agreement on I believe?

I'd have been very interested in more detail on the PM-elect's plans as to how she's going to tackle all this, particularly this approach. But she was too busy to be interviewed and tell us all yesterday. Seems reasonable, given there are businesses currently making the decision whether to continue operating or wind things up now and cut their losses. 

And the actual PM is currently dipping into the dressing up box for the last time and has gone on a lap of honour for the week.

Still, how about those German's eh..? 
    Do you believe we aren’t talking to our European colleagues on this at all?

we may not be in the EU but we still engage and work together on matters. 
    The EU supplies a lot of electricity to the UK.
    70% in Northern Ireland I believe.
    Northern Ireland is part of 'we' I believe, and yet is very much 'in the EU'.
    Indeed the whole of the UK has not left the whole of the EU as voted for, vote leave has not been enacted.
    I doubt very much if 'our European colleagues' as you put it are particularly interested in 'talking' to the UK, having been told they need us more than we need them.
    Enough of your Brexit fixation 

It’s a global energy market and we are working with our European counterparts 
    I am not fixated by brexit because the word is meaningless, I am fixated by 'leave'.
    If 'working with' means the EU are supplying 70% of the electricity to one of the four countries of the Union then fine.
    I don't see it as working with them so much as buying off them.
    No I do not mean that. I am not referring to Norttern Ireland. 

I mean (as you no doubt realise) that we work with European nations regardless of ‘leave’ and as in this case evidenced by coordinated financial sanctions on Russia. 
    Don’t engage it, it doesn’t go away. 
    I presume the ‘it’ you are referring to is me?
    Am I right that you refer to another poster as an ‘it’?

• seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Decouple the price from Gas and allow onshore wind, and we’ll be in a healthier place
    This is part of the approach the EU are currently seeking agreement on I believe?

I'd have been very interested in more detail on the PM-elect's plans as to how she's going to tackle all this, particularly this approach. But she was too busy to be interviewed and tell us all yesterday. Seems reasonable, given there are businesses currently making the decision whether to continue operating or wind things up now and cut their losses. 

And the actual PM is currently dipping into the dressing up box for the last time and has gone on a lap of honour for the week.

Still, how about those German's eh..? 
    Do you believe we aren’t talking to our European colleagues on this at all?

we may not be in the EU but we still engage and work together on matters. 
    The EU supplies a lot of electricity to the UK.
    70% in Northern Ireland I believe.
    Northern Ireland is part of 'we' I believe, and yet is very much 'in the EU'.
    Indeed the whole of the UK has not left the whole of the EU as voted for, vote leave has not been enacted.
    I doubt very much if 'our European colleagues' as you put it are particularly interested in 'talking' to the UK, having been told they need us more than we need them.
    Enough of your Brexit fixation 

It’s a global energy market and we are working with our European counterparts 
    I am not fixated by brexit because the word is meaningless, I am fixated by 'leave'.
    If 'working with' means the EU are supplying 70% of the electricity to one of the four countries of the Union then fine.
    I don't see it as working with them so much as buying off them.
    No I do not mean that. I am not referring to Norttern Ireland. 

I mean (as you no doubt realise) that we work with European nations regardless of ‘leave’ and as in this case evidenced by coordinated financial sanctions on Russia. 
    Absolutely mate, i have been working on anglo/french/german defence projects for years, there are lots of these type of projects ongoing unbeknown to the layman.  French are a nightmare to work with.

As it happens my German colleagues say they wish their country had the balls to leave like we did.
  • edited September 2022
    se9addick said:
    MrWalker said:
    Germany not that bothered now as they have spent 6 months buying all the gas they can, inflating prices,  to make up for their disastrous reliance on Russia.
    Getting rejected by a German girl whilst you were on a lads holiday in Magaluf when you were 17 seems to have had a profound impact on you. 
    I suspect it is more to do with the fact he is our resident Tory apologist and will try to heap blame on anybody or everybody else for our predicament. This time it happens to be the Germans.
  • edited September 2022
    se9addick said:
    MrWalker said:
    Germany not that bothered now as they have spent 6 months buying all the gas they can, inflating prices,  to make up for their disastrous reliance on Russia.
    Getting rejected by a German girl whilst you were on a lads holiday in Magaluf when you were 17 seems to have had a profound impact on you. 
    I suspect it is more to do with the fact he is our resident Tory apologist and will try to heap blame on anybody or everybody else for our predicament. This time it happens to be the Germans.
    Blinkered nonsense.
    No attempt to play the ball [news items/posts] just another childish and nonsensical name-calling playing of the man.

Interesting developments here

Canada sending repaired Russian turbine hack to Germany, upsetting Ukraine 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/10/canada-exempts-russian-gas-turbine-from-sanctions-amid-europe-energy-crisis

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/22/germany-chancellor-visits-canada-russian-gas-energy-olaf-scholz
  • edited September 2022
    I may have rose tinted specs, but yours are so blue I'm suprised you can see out of them :) You are the one blaming the Germans for this!
  • edited September 2022
    Never mind transfer deadline day. We’re now 5/6 days from Kwasi Kwarteng being in charge of the economy in what is likely to be the biggest financial challenge since WW2. Let that sink in.
  • I may have rose tinted specs, but yours are so blue I'm suprised you can see out of them :) You are the one blaming the Germans for this!
    I'm not blaming the Germans for this. [and even if I was, why not respond to that information from the press instead of yet more puerile name calling] I'm posting items on the day its all over the news in response to another poster who first mentioned Germany pipeline. 

Why does this news trouble you so much that you need to make your silly accusations? Why not discuss the facts?

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    MrWalker said:
    I may have rose tinted specs, but yours are so blue I'm suprised you can see out of them :) You are the one blaming the Germans for this!
    I'm not blaming the Germans for this. [and even if I was, why not respond to that information from the press instead of yet more puerile name calling] I'm posting items on the day its all over the news in response to another poster who first mentioned Germany pipeline. 

Why does this news trouble you so much that you need to make your silly accusations? Why not discuss the facts?

It doesn't trouble me, it was a bit tongue in cheek actually but we all know Tories don't have a sense of humour :) Cos it is a bit silly blaming the germans for this. WW2, yes, I'll give you that. I'm sure you don't actually think it is their fault.
  • MrWalker said:

Interesting. I thought the plan from the head of Scottish Power sounded pretty good, but would have required a significant upfront borrowing commitment from the government (circa £100BN I believe) which I can’t see Truss going for. 
  • In the bottom left corner of the screen you can see the pound crashing against the Dollar and Euro whilst he mutters this nonsense. 
  • edited September 2022
    God the dollar exchange rate is abysmal.

As usual, the truth is that it's actually Labour's fault.

• I blame the Germans
  • edited September 2022
    se9addick said:
    In the bottom left corner of the screen you can see the pound crashing against the Dollar and Euro whilst he mutters this nonsense. 
    Surely the pound should be rising given that this lying sack of shit is now in the bin and about to be replaced by ...oh
  • edited September 2022
    from the FT https://on.ft.com/3AHGfV9

Pound has tanked this month, and is making the energy issues worse

Sterling has recorded its steepest monthly decline against the dollar since the wake of the Brexit referendum against a backdrop of intensifying economic and political uncertainty. The pound fell 4.5 per cent in August to $1.16 in the biggest monthly drop since October 2016. It also declined by almost 3 per cent against the euro. It started September with a further 0.3 per cent fall against the greenback, although it was roughly flat against the common currency. The currency’s August tumble reflects the deteriorating outlook for Britain’s economy as the energy crisis deals a powerful blow to businesses and consumers. The new prime minister, set to be named next week, could bring further uncertainty as they set new fiscal priorities. “Cyclical crosswinds are likely to intensify for the pound into the autumn as the UK economy navigates new fiscal initiatives against still-rising energy costs and consumer price index,” JPMorgan analysts said last month. Liz Truss, frontrunner to win the Conservative party leadership contest, has vowed to offer £30bn in tax cuts as part of a plan to buttress the UK economy against the worsening cost of living crisis. 

Economists say a loosening of fiscal policy could alleviate the recession that is forecast by the Bank of England and many City economists to begin later this year. However, some analysts have said a stimulus of this nature could make it more difficult for the BoE to battle the worst bout of inflation in more than 40 years. Philip Shaw, chief economist at Investec in London, said the sterling’s rapid fall was “very worrying” because it underlined concerns that if Truss were named prime minister, her government’s policies would diverge from the BoE. UK debt markets also sold off in August, with a broad Bloomberg index tracking government and corporate debt falling more than 6 per cent, much worse than regional peers including Germany and France. The selling sent 10-year government borrowing costs in the gilt market soaring more than 0.9 percentage points in the biggest rise since at least 1989. In equities, the FTSE 250 index of medium-sized UK-listed companies, which are considered more sensitive to the domestic economic outlook than those listed on the more internationally focused FTSE 100, fell 5.5 per cent in August. George Saravelos, global head of FX research at Deutsche Bank, said investors were right to question whether the UK’s mix of fiscal and monetary was appropriate and how it would affect inflation. “Pricing pressures are becoming persistent and broader.

But what kind of signal is the UK government sending about inflation?” said Saravelos, adding that the BoE  had not been as aggressive or effective in its communications about inflation risks as either the US Federal Reserve or the European Central Bank. Saravelos said the reaction of currency markets to aggressive fiscal promises that were unfunded or a broad-based VAT tax cut were likely to be less favourable than help on energy bills targeted at the relevant income groups. The pound was also pulled lower by a broad rise in the US dollar last month as traders bet that the Fed will pursue a strategy of aggressive rate increases in the coming months. But the pound’s fall in August was still more severe than any of the G10 currencies besides Sweden’s krona. There are tentative signs that pressure on the currency could be easing. Speculators, including funds that trade currency derivatives, have cut their bearish bets against the sterling in recent weeks. The group now holds a net short futures position of 27,966 contracts, compared with a recent high of 80,372 in late May, according to Commodity Futures Trading Commission data compiled by Bloomberg. “Leveraged funds are not aggressively short against [sterling],” said Stephen Gallo, European head of FX strategy at BMO Capital Markets. “Other fund managers — asset allocators — are reducing their sterling hedges which suggests they are trimming their exposure to UK assets

But it is unclear if these recent moves are being driven by short-term portfolio flows or by shifts in longer-term foreign direct investment flows.” Large international investors cut their exposure to the UK stock market in July, with a net 15 per cent of global fund managers reporting an “underweight” UK equity position, a fall of 11 percentage points compared with the previous month’s position, according to Bank of America, which canvassed the views of 250 respondents with combined assets of $752bn.
  • se9addick said:
    MrWalker said:

Interesting. I thought the plan from the head of Scottish Power sounded pretty good, but would have required a significant upfront borrowing commitment from the government (circa £100BN I believe) which I can’t see Truss going for. 
    I think his suggestion to have a centralised, strategic, government owned purchaser of energy has been put forward on this thread already but is very unlikely to be taken forward as, ya know, it's all a bit communist innit!
  • se9addick said:
    MrWalker said:

I think his suggestion to have a centralised, strategic, government owned purchaser of energy has been put forward on this thread already but is very unlikely to be taken forward as, ya know, it's all a bit communist innit!
    I am sure Truss can get one of her mates to screw it up for us and charge a huge consultancy fee. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I blame everything on Diane Abbott and that tosser Seth Plum on Charlton Life.
  • I know the political right don't do irony or self awareness but even so, they must see it in this right?

• Don’t forget those more powerful vacuum cleaners. That’ll show ‘em.  :)
  • I'm doing my bit. Completely stopped hoovering and ironing, and have just stacked about 800 logs in the shed. Have that, Putin!
  • edited September 2022
    I know the political right don't do irony or self awareness but even so, they must see it in this right?

The disconnect between people like Johnson and the population is just staggering. I’m not confident that Truss will have any more link to reality either. So far what she’s been saying shows no sign of recognising of just how serious this is all becoming. It’s going to take a Covid style amount of money to steer us through this. Upwards of £100 billion. 
  • I know the political right don't do irony or self awareness but even so, they must see it in this right?

Out of interest did the EU resurrect this for it’s member states?

Regardless and all political leanings aside  I suspect some form of energy rationing across Europe will be needed this winter whether that be industry asked to restrict in some way or public buildings closed / restricted etc. 

A mild winter must be the biggest hope for all of Europe. 

Regardless and all political leanings aside  I suspect some form of energy rationing across Europe will be needed this winter whether that be industry asked to restrict in some way or public buildings closed / restricted etc. 

Time to start seeing some benefits from global warming! 

Would it surprise you to know that the article was of course a load of bollocks? There are a whole range of products the EU has been looking at from an environmental impact point of view, taking into account lots of factors, such as lifespan, spare part availability, insulation and efficiency but as far as I know there have been no bans on kettles in the EU yet. British or otherwise.