Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What’s our best starting 11?

Comments

• Options
    Watson is a step up on Dobson, and Arter is a step up on Watson. You then got Forster-Caskey to add in too when he’s back. I don’t see how Dobson plays. 
  • Options
    I really love Leko and think he’s going to be fantastic this season. Similarly, I think Lee is going to be a top player for us too.

However, we are a better team when Washington is playing closer to Stockley and it would be foolish to take that away from the team.

It’s definitely a headache for Adkins going forward of our attacking options now, but it’s one I am certain he’d prefer in comparison to the headache he had when we had no options.
  • Options

Mac
    Matthews Innis Famewo Purrington
    Albie Arter 
    DJ Lee Kirk/Leko
    Stockley

innis can’t be dropped but I expect Lavelle to be our main centre back at some point, Innis will be very hard to dislodge if he stays fit though, don’t think I’ve seen him lose a header, rarely makes a big mistake.

DJ and Matthews link up has been our best play this season, we genuinely look good down that side, question marks on Kirk that I’m sure will be answered once Purrington is back, if he can link with him then he stays if not I trust Leko more as he’s a bit more explosive and we have the creativity in Lee. The rest is self explanatory 

squad looks very promising though. Lavelle, Gunter, Dobson, Washington, CBT, Clare and Davison is an extremely strong bench for league 1 football 
    According to another thread Inniss is not even training properly this week. I think Lavelle will slot in to his place next week
    I also don't think Famewo and Inniss have worked that well together this season. Great to have another option (2 if you include Elerewe).
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I really love Leko and think he’s going to be fantastic this season. Similarly, I think Lee is going to be a top player for us too.

However, we are a better team when Washington is playing closer to Stockley and it would be foolish to take that away from the team.

It’s definitely a headache for Adkins going forward of our attacking options now, but it’s one I am certain he’d prefer in comparison to the headache he had when we had no options.
    Start the game with DJ and Kirk, then if its not working or they need resting bring on Leko and CBT, or the other way round. These are great options to have available.
  • Options
    The one the manager who is paid lots of bucks, decides.
  • Options
    Sage said:

The question is can Lee offer that movement and energy that Washington does? If so will that make us a stronger team?

It’s going to be a case of trying it out and seeing how it does. 4-4-2 worked against Crewe but it could leave us too open in the middle against stronger opposition.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Watson is a step up on Dobson, and Arter is a step up on Watson. You then got Forster-Caskey to add in too when he’s back. I don’t see how Dobson plays. 
    Dobson is a real head scratcher for me.  He looked very good in the preseason games I watched.  He looked good against Wednesday.  He looked alright at MK Dons until he made a massive mistake that lead to their equaliser.  Then he fell to pieces. 

He has played over 100 games at this level, which is a lot for his age.   He was generally impressive at Walsall and Wimbledon, at this level.  I was surprised that Sunderland binned him so easily, especially with Power and Leadbitter going.

I can't put my finger on it really because he isn't just "dog shit" but it's going to be very hard for him to get back in the team.  I can see a loan out coming in January. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Dobson is a real head scratcher for me.  He looked very good in the preseason games I watched.  He looked good against Wednesday.  He looked alright at MK Dons until he made a massive mistake that lead to their equaliser.  Then he fell to pieces. 

He has played over 100 games at this level, which is a lot for his age.   He was generally impressive at Walsall and Wimbledon, at this level.  I was surprised that Sunderland binned him so easily, especially with Power and Leadbitter going.

I can't put my finger on it really because he isn't just "dog shit" but it's going to be very hard for him to get back in the team.  I can see a loan out coming in January. 
    I agree I can see him going out on loan in January. I also agree he has fallen to pieces, but don’t think he was that good at the start of the season, but that’s my opinion.

Have no idea where he fits in if everyone is fit, big if I know.

Watson keeps things simple and allows us to play, Arter is a class above really. I think it’s telling that Adkins took off Dobson for Watson when we needed a change.

I also think with all that experience at this level, if he was that good he should probably have been getting championship interest but hasn’t.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:

I agree I can see him going out on loan in January. I also agree he has fallen to pieces, but don’t think he was that good at the start of the season, but that’s my opinion.

Have no idea where he fits in if everyone is fit, big if I know.

Watson keeps things simple and allows us to play, Arter is a class above really. I think it’s telling that Adkins took off Dobson for Watson when we needed a change.

I also think with all that experience at this level, if he was that good he should probably have been getting championship interest but hasn’t.
    I think that is a hard stick to beat him with.  He is a similar age to Hollands, Wiggins, Stephens etc.  Also as a league 1 player he has attracted a firm contract from both us and Sunderland, which I would consider the next best thing. 

I have seen dozens of fence post turtles over the last 30 odd years, unfortunately more for us than against us, but he does not look like one to me.  If he is good enough for a promotion winning team, I don't know, but he is certainly a league 1 footballer.

I also think he has been unlucky in the fact that not many teams in league 1 (less than half) have midfields as good as MK, Oxford, Wednesday and Wigan.  The trio he played in didn't help either.

I am 100% there is a player there, he has quite a high floor, but I don't think he has that a high ceiling. 
  • Options
    TeeC said:
    What an excellent positive thread.

i feel like Washington might go on a bit of streak and be hard to drop but as everyone else has said - I really like the look Lee. He reminds me a lot of his dad. Yes we have a lot of players but they’ll be plenty of injuries. I also think Leko and Arter will need to prove their still up to it and won’t be initial starters. Kirk may also come under pressure to be productive quite quickly:

mac

matthews lavelle famewo purrington 

Dobson Morgan

DJ.             Lee.                  Kirk

Stockley 
    Yep this is, I feel, a realistic team NA could well put out.
    Agree that Arter & Leco have to prove their match fitness.
    As does Gilbey
    JFC - remembering the struggle he had with the first ACL,  I'm estimating he won't be match fit till April.

Something from left field, an injury replacement for Stockley.
    It's just possible ( in a few months) Leco or DJ could handle the job.

My guess is this squad will finish fifth to eighth  come May.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    john3 said:
                 Macgilvery  not Machinery !!!!!!
    MacGillivray not Macgilvery
  • Options
    i just don't see that formation working with stockley -p he needs to play up top with somebody - that can be washington, leko,lee or kirk but i would definitely start with Lee in the team - mac - purrer innis/lavelle  famewho matthews - kirk arter lee leko - wash stock 
  • Options
    In 230 games he has played in central midfield 4 times.
  • Options
    think pirlo
  • Options
    i like my cdm's to have nouse, touch and vision rather than legs and running power - thats for up top and out wide - get the brains and craft in the middle and let them orchestrate the rest
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i like my cdm's to have nouse, touch and vision rather than legs and running power - thats for up top and out wide - get the brains and craft in the middle and let them orchestrate the rest
    That’s all very well, but if your central midfielder has no defensive awareness or positional understanding then teams will walk through the middle of you. Play players in their best position and keep your team as balanced as possible.
  • Options
    arter is the holder - win the game first then put the dobson's of this world on 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    We have a squad now. 
    Reminds me of kids football, when you had to give minutes to every players in League matches but have your strongest team on the pitch in the last third of the match.

We did this with Aneke, last season for a different reason than his dad would beat up Bowyer or Adkins ! 

We need a stable in form and If Inniss or anyone isn't fit they don't play. This includes Jayden. 

Fortunately we have options with the 4 wide men/wingers in the 3 up front. Also Davidson and Washington can go central or play just off Stockley in a 2 as against the weaker teams like Crewe ( since losing players) 4-4-2 really isn't archaic. 

The 11 on the pitch from 65 minutes on could end up being more important than the 11 that start or as important. Football stopped being only  about the 11 that starts last century when it went up to 3 subs.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i just don't see that formation working with stockley -p he needs to play up top with somebody - that can be washington, leko,lee or kirk but i would definitely start with Lee in the team - mac - purrer innis/lavelle  famewho matthews - kirk arter lee leko - wash stock 
    Playing Lee in a number 10 role is essentially putting him up top with Stockley. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a lovely problem to have trying to get all these players into a starting 11. Will give Adkins the opportunity to rotate, although won’t tweak it as much as Bowyer did… to be honest I never thought we would have this quality at our disposal 2 weeks ago
  • Options
    What a lovely problem to have trying to get all these players into a starting 11. Will give Adkins the opportunity to rotate, although won’t tweak it as much as Bowyer did… to be honest I never thought we would have this quality at our disposal 2 weeks ago
    Bowyer only rotated because he was left with a load of players that couldn’t play 2 games in 4 days .  The bankers like Bauer, Cullen, the guy with pink hair, Lockyer always played when fit 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Bowyer only rotated because he was left with a load of players that couldn’t play 2 games in 4 days .  The bankers like Bauer, Cullen, the guy with pink hair, Lockyer always played when fit 
    Last season ??
  • Options
    Our best starting line up on paper is:

Mac

Matthews     Inniss     Famewo     Purrington 

Gilbey     Arter 

DJ               Lee              Kirk

Stockley 

Lee would almost have to play that 10 as a second striker though, Stockley needs someone in and around him. It’s a tough one for NA as we’ve got pretty good depth now which is great but Lee is a starter for me.

Could go with the diamond that Bowyer used a lot but would lose DJ and Kirk from the starting line up so not ideal:

Mac 

Matthews     Inniss         Famewo    Purrington 

Arter 

Morgan                                  Gilbey 

Lee

Washington            Stockley 

I think the best option is 433 or 4411 which is the formation NA used against Crewe. 

• Options
    Was at the Northern Ireland game vs Lithuania a few days back - Washington looked a much better player in  a central striking position than when stuck out wide (and slotted home a great penalty). I think Leko and Lee, as well as Davison, will be deployed up top at various points through the season, either in a 442 or 433. It’s a good headache for NA to have!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The team we played in the final game of last season:

Despite having some real quality, we lacked the depth to compete over a 46 game season. We relied heavily on Millar and Aneke, with the latter only fit enough to play 45 minutes a game. 

Now we’ve gotten through the Summer window that separated these two seasons, this is the squad Adkins gets to pick from:

There will be dud signings, as well as injuries, mistakes, red cards and own goals - but I’m much more excited about this seasons squad compared to the last one. The recruitment team got a lot of abuse but I think they deserve credit for getting this over the line.

• Options
    Should have been Dobson beneath Gilbey's name tbh, JFC is miles away
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Leuth said:
    It’s only a depiction of the best players in the squad, I expect Morgan would replace Gilbey or Arter before Dobson will. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    And if we are talking fully fit, on form players, JFC is well ahead of gilbey
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Leuth said:
    And if we are talking fully fit, on form players, JFC is well ahead of gilbey
    As we aren't Watson is well ahead of both of them :smile: