Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What’s our best starting 11?

Comments

• Options
    MacGillivray
    Matthews Inniss Famewo Purrington
    Arter Gilbey
    Leko Lee Kirk
    Stockley

IMO
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MacGillivray

Arter JFC

Jaiyesimi Lee Kirk

Stockley

Subs: Washington, Leko, Gilbey, Morgan, Lavelle, Gunter, Maynard-Brewer

(Edit: pretty mad that I couldn't find a spot for Clare or Dobson... lots of good CMs!)
  • Options
    Great thread so far and fascinating to see how different the starting 11 could be. 

It’s also exciting to see how strong our bench will now be, especially compared to the opening game against Wednesday. A lot of sides aren’t going to be able to cope with the attacking types we can bring on. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Excitingly I have no idea what our best 11 may look like, in terms of both personel and formation.

I won't be shocked if we revert back to 4-3-3 as that seems to be the popular formation these days.

So I expect to see something like this when we get back rolling again. 

MacGillvray
    Matthews Innis Famewo Purrington
                  Clare Arter Lee
                 DJ Stockley Kirk

Bench. Harness, Gunter, Lavelle, Morgan, Gilbey, Leko, Washington

Dobson (who I actually think is decent enough) not even making the bench alongside CBT, Watson, Pearce, Deji, and with JFC to come back.

That looks bloody strong to me. Do feel like things do begin to get bit ropey if we get an injury to Stockley though. 
  • Options
    Nobody is mentioning Corey Blackett-Taylor. Not for the starting eleven, but having watched him last night if he came on as sub with 20 minutes to go, he would be a match winner. Fast and direct and likes to dribble through defences. He would frighten defenders just like Chuks did.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Nobody is mentioning Corey Blackett-Taylor. Not for the starting eleven, but having watched him last night if he came on as sub with 20 minutes to go, he would be a match winner. Fast and direct and likes to dribble through defences. He would frighten defenders just like Chuks did.
    He was very good last night, but he’s not in the conversation to be starting yet. 

If he plays like that most weeks then he’ll be playing higher than League One next season, I suspect he blows hot and cold though. 
  • Options
    There are going to be a lot of midweek games and we know that NA likes to tinker with his players in midweek. or this reason I think all the first teamer squad will be getting plenty of gametime.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MacGillivray
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Purrington
    Jaiyesimi - Arter - Gilbey - Kirk
    Stockley - Washington

Bench: Harness - Inniss - Pearce - Watson - Morgan - Lee - Leko
  • Options
    Inniss is a really difficult one.

If/when he's fit to play, I think he's the best centre back at the club.  I'd go as far as to say he's possibly the best centre back in league 1.

Trouble is, you can't rely on him to stay fit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    My go:

MacGillivray

Arter Clare

Jaiyesimi Lee Kirk

Stockley

Harness - lavelle - Gilbey - dobson - Morgan - washington  - Leko

• Options
    What is quite exciting is this XI:
    MacGillivray
    Matthews Inniss Lavelle Purrington
    Clare JFC
    DJ Gilbey Kirk
    Stockley

Ok it's not the best XI, but they are all actually our own players. Proves that even though it means swallowing some further losses, at least we've got something to build on next summer if we don't go up. 
  • Options
    Formation: 4-2-3-1

#1: MacGillivray
    #2: Matthews
    #3: Purrington
    #4: Arter
    #5: Famewo
    #6: Innis
    #7: Jaiyesimi
    #8: Morgan
    #9: Stockley
    #10: Lee
    #11: Kirk

Although, I wish we could play 4-4-2 as think Stockley is easily isolated.. But believe Lee at #10 is better quality than Washington in a supporting striker role. 
  • Options
    MacGillivray
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Purrington
    Jaiyesimi - Arter - Gilbey - Kirk
    Stockley - Washington

Bench: Harness - Inniss - Pearce - Watson - Morgan - Lee - Leko
    No Dobson?
  • Options
    Got some decent options haven't we. Lee for Leko for me. Let's see how this all pans out over the next month's. Encouraging but take nothing for granted now.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    On the back of a successful deadline day, we’ve been able to add some real reality into all three areas of the pitch. 

Who is a must start, who do we drop? It’s certainly interesting to see how Adkins goes about setting up the team against Cheltenham in a couple of weeks.

To me, this is our strongest 11 on paper:

Can anyone make a case for something else? 
    I’d have Lee playing Cam and move Leko to the right. 

Maybe harsh on Inniss, but it’s vital we have a solid CB partnership. We can’t be having him missing or unable to complete more than an hour. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    -----------MacGillivray
    Matthews - Inniss - Famewo -  Purrington 
    -------Gilbey ------ Arter
    --------------Lee
    Leko-----------------------Kirk
    ------------Stockley
    Totally forgot about JFC... Put him in for Gilbey, and if he comes back the same player, we are in business 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Great problem to have as long as Adkins works it out and adapts well when necessary. Need to avoid doing a Bowyer and constantly rotating if things aren’t going well, we have the ability there to get results.

I don’t know the answer, got to see how they link up. It’ll be interesting to see if we go back to a form of 4-3-3 or stick with 4-4-2.
    The difference is formation from Wigan to Crewe was subtle, the difference in execution was dramatic.  How much of that was down to the personnel and how much of that was down to the opposition is the key question. 

Adkins said that Washington would play behind Stockley against Crewe.  Morgan spent most of the first hour getting shouted at by Stockley for being in the wrong place against Wigan.

The beauty of the 4231/433 is you can tweek it to suit the opposition or situation without major positional changes. 
    The beauty of 4231 is that we’ve scored no goals from open play with it. 

MacG

Matthews, Innis, Famewo, New LB

Jaiyesimi, Arter, JFC/Gilbey, Kirk/Lee

Leko, Stockley 
  • Options
    I think there are three starting positions where there is clear competition.  Leko and DJ for the one wide forward, Albie/Gilbey/Clare for the box to box type central midfielder and lavelle/innis for CB.  I personally think Lee and arter will eventually be clear cut starters
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Great problem to have as long as Adkins works it out and adapts well when necessary. Need to avoid doing a Bowyer and constantly rotating if things aren’t going well, we have the ability there to get results.

I don’t know the answer, got to see how they link up. It’ll be interesting to see if we go back to a form of 4-3-3 or stick with 4-4-2.
    The difference is formation from Wigan to Crewe was subtle, the difference in execution was dramatic.  How much of that was down to the personnel and how much of that was down to the opposition is the key question. 

Adkins said that Washington would play behind Stockley against Crewe.  Morgan spent most of the first hour getting shouted at by Stockley for being in the wrong place against Wigan.

The beauty of the 4231/433 is you can tweek it to suit the opposition or situation without major positional changes. 
    The beauty of 4231 is that we’ve scored no goals from open play with it. 

MacG

Matthews, Innis, Famewo, New LB

Jaiyesimi, Arter, JFC/Gilbey, Kirk/Lee

Leko, Stockley 
    We also lost 1 in 10 with it last season.  Square pegs in round holes and a bit of a lack of quality has been the problem, not the formation.   We played 4231 against Crewe, according to Adkins, but what does he know 🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some great dilemmas to have. Shame we have to wait over a week for a game!
  • Options
    If everybody was fit and on form it would be a different team from the one we can actually pick.
    Ideally
    Mac
    DJ Arter Lee Kirk
    Stockley Washington

With a great subs bench of Lavelle, Morgan, Gilbey Leko JFC Gunter

In the next week it would be
    Mac
    Matthews Lavelle Famewo Gunter
    DJ Arter Lee Leko
    Stockley Washington.

Inniss, Purrington not fit and Kirk's head is not right

But still a good sub's bench

• Options
    Not much urging for Albie on this thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    seth plum said:
    Not much urging for Albie on this thread.
    Needs a long loan in League 2 where he needs to learn how to boss a game.
  • Options
    Not wishing to spark off a row... BUT.

How many squads in league one are better than ours now that the window has closed ?

I think maybe just one. Ipswich perhaps.

I honestly would be gutted if this squad only make the playoffs 
  • Options
                            Mac

Arter Gilbey

DJ         Lee        Kirk

Stockley 

SUBS from: Harness, Washington, Lavelle, Dobson, Davison, Leko, Clare, Deji, Gunter, CBT, Burstow

I think Lee could be absolutely crucial this season. First name on teamsheet type signing.

• Options
    AndyG said:

How many squads in league one are better than ours now that the window has closed ?

I would just calm down a bit I think! I think we have clear roots for optimism now but we need to be realistic here. Ipswich, Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday are the ones who come to mind. Pompey as well. Sunderland have a lot of good players but they are young.

2 weeks ago plenty were worried we would be closer to the relegation zone than mid table.

Step one is move away from that scenario which we have. If someone offered me 6th now I would bite their hand off. Dont forget how far off the pace we were just 2 weeks ago. We can look upwards I think, but need to manage expectations. See where we are in a month or 2.
  • Options
    I reckon just play a 5-5-5 formation to incorporate everyone, the refs in League One are so shit I doubt they’d even notice. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:

I would just calm down a bit I think! I think we have clear roots for optimism now but we need to be realistic here. Ipswich, Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday are the ones who come to mind. Pompey as well. Sunderland have a lot of good players but they are young.

2 weeks ago plenty were worried we would be closer to the relegation zone than mid table.

Step one is move away from that scenario which we have. If someone offered me 6th now I would bite their hand off. Dont forget how far off the pace we were just 2 weeks ago. We can look upwards I think, but need to manage expectations. See where we are in a month or 2.
    Ok let me ask you. The teams you have named above, how many of those squads would you swap for ours now ?