Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What’s our best starting 11?

Comments

• Dobson had a stormer...against a weakened League Two side. Jury out on his suitability, plus, we've now signed enough midfielders that the idea Dobson has to start is a serious stretch even if he is playing well. PLUS, his 'killer ball' was a nice ball over the top but it still required a brilliant run and finish from Lee
  • Wow not many people starting Dobson, i think he will be key to our midfield. Does the donkey work and showed the other day capable of a killer ball, him + 1 for me in the middle/ or 2 if 433 suits. What excites me, with the personnel we can play a number of formations and swap players for fun, bar Stockley who we are fucked if he gets injured. 
    Arter should be our upgrade on Dobson. Don’t need both in there, playing alongside Arter and Lee should also get more from Morgan.

Leuth said:
    This is absolute heresy maybe, but is Stockley the first name on the teamsheet? With our attacking signings it feels like he might be a bit more expendable now
    I’ve got a very good feeling he’ll be our Yann/Lyle this season. Right age, made captain and at a level he’ll score goals. Looks a better player than last season to me, using his chest and feet more rather than attempting to flick everything on.
  • If Stockley is out or in need of a rest, maybe we can unleash our own versions of Mane - Firmino - Salah!

Kirk - Lee - DJ - Leko - Washington 

....any 3 from those could still take the game to the opposition.

• Scoham said:
    Wow not many people starting Dobson, i think he will be key to our midfield. Does the donkey work and showed the other day capable of a killer ball, him + 1 for me in the middle/ or 2 if 433 suits. What excites me, with the personnel we can play a number of formations and swap players for fun, bar Stockley who we are fucked if he gets injured. 
    Arter should be our upgrade on Dobson. Don’t need both in there, playing alongside Arter and Lee should also get more from Morgan.

Leuth said:
    This is absolute heresy maybe, but is Stockley the first name on the teamsheet? With our attacking signings it feels like he might be a bit more expendable now
    I’ve got a very good feeling he’ll be our Yann/Lyle this season. Right age, made captain and at a level he’ll score goals. Looks a better player than last season to me, using his chest and feet more rather than attempting to flick everything on.
    possibly, although Dobson will no doubt cover more of a distance. I could see them playing together if we play a midfield 3, well see i think he will prove to be an astute signing. Possibly underrated, would certainly pick over Watson who others have put on the bench. Clare offers something different to me so is more between him and Albie, its a good problem to have on paper we have a great squad (LB aside) 
  • my opinion Forever Changes, Love Arter Lee as a midfield combination though
  • I like Gilbey, but I think he will have a hard time getting back into this team. 
  • Chunes said:
    I like Gilbey, but I think he will have a hard time getting back into this team. 
    Such a shame as I really thought he’d kick on this season. He’s still weeks away and by the time he’s match fit I imagine the midfield will be settled 
  • edited September 2021
    Chunes said:
    I like Gilbey, but I think he will have a hard time getting back into this team. 
    Such a shame as I really thought he’d kick on this season. He’s still weeks away and by the time he’s match fit I imagine the midfield will be settled 
    Nice problem to have though, with the squad we have now you can play a more aggressive press knowing you could bring players like Gilbey and Leko on.  Other teams will hate that! 
  • edited September 2021
    The GK and back 4 pick themselves with 

Mac

Mathews  Innis  Famewo  Purrington

After that well, over to Nige, just shows the selection available, and the headache, albeit a nice one, to make,.. when JFC and Gilby are back we will be covered in most areas, apart from LB, opposition will dictate formations and therefor selections.
  • Chunes said:
    Didn’t we have 14 players out injured a couple of seasons back? And there was the mad game when two players dislocated their shoulders. So pretty sure Gilbey will be called on. 
    Benefit of having good players is that they won’t take as long to bed in. Lee is already looking influential, and can see Arter getting up and running soon too. We’ve gone from having a lightweight squad to having one where we’re worried about who to leave out, almost overnight. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Nice problem to have though, with the squad we have now you can play a more aggressive press knowing you could bring players like Gilbey and Leko on.  Other teams will hate that! 
    Good point. Let’s start a protest group to bring back 5 subs
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    Didn’t we have 14 players out injured a couple of seasons back? And there was the mad game when two players dislocated their shoulders. So pretty sure Gilbey will be called on. 
    Benefit of having good players is that they won’t take as long to bed in. Lee is already looking influential, and can see Arter getting up and running soon too. We’ve gone from having a lightweight squad to having one where we’re worried about who to leave out, almost overnight. 
    Agreed, squad depth in midfield is not something we should be concerned with. My point was more specifically around how unfortunate it is for Gilbey to catch COVID just as he was shifting into gear. 

It took him a very long time to recover from injury last year and it’s a shame he’s having to follow a similar process so soon.
  • cabbles said:
    I think Elliott Lee will be the coup.  Got a feeling he’s going to be the one that flourishes and surprises people how good he is 
    My thoughts exactly, the missing piece and playmaker.
  • Leuth said:
    I mean, Stockley is a fearsome presence and has the shirt for now obv, but I don't think we'd be particularly screwed over if he was injured thanks to our signings in the final week
    I think Stockley would be superb with a partner.  He is not benefitting from smiley Nigel’s long ball tactics and being isolated 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    I mean, Stockley is a fearsome presence and has the shirt for now obv, but I don't think we'd be particularly screwed over if he was injured thanks to our signings in the final week
    I think Stockley would be superb with a partner.  He is not benefitting from smiley Nigel’s long ball tactics and being isolated 
    I don’t think Nigel Adkins is a long ball manager at all. We went long in the first few games due to the inadequate midfield which failed to link defence and attack. 

We saw much less of it against Crewe and I suspect the ball will be on the floor much more as the season progresses 
  • wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    I don’t think Nigel Adkins is a long ball manager at all. We went long in the first few games due to the inadequate midfield which failed to link defence and attack. 

We saw much less of it against Crewe and I suspect the ball will be on the floor much more as the season progresses 
    We’ll see . 
  •                             Machinery

Matthews   Lavelle     Famewo    Purrington

DJ       Arter       Lee      Leko

Stockley             Washington

• Leuth said:
    Dobson had a stormer...against a weakened League Two side. Jury out on his suitability, plus, we've now signed enough midfielders that the idea Dobson has to start is a serious stretch even if he is playing well. PLUS, his 'killer ball' was a nice ball over the top but it still required a brilliant run and finish from Lee
    Agreed, people have to be careful not to get too excited about beating very weak opposition in a game which beforehand none of us cared about.

After all Toby Stevenson scored a hattrick in a similar match, and that didn't count to anything when we released him
  • Sponsored links:

•                        MacGivallry

Matthews   Inniss  Famewo  Purrington

Arter  

DJ                        Lee                           Kirk

Leko            Stockley

• cafc_se7 said:
                           MacGivallry

Arter  

Leko            Stockley

Or put Leko in place of DJ and play Washington up top with Stockley. Would be harsh leaving him out for his efforts for the team. 
  • cafc_se7 said:
                           MacGivallry

Arter  

Leko            Stockley

Arter would be swamped in that formation, with 5 attacking players in front of him!
  • Kirk, DJ and Lee all work very hard defensively so I don't see so much of an issue with it.
  • cafc_se7 said:
                           MacGivallry

Arter  

Leko            Stockley

Too attacking for me that, if you’re gonna have two up top with two attacking wingers you’ve gotta drop Lee IMO, or play him up top and drop Leko.
  • DJ and Kirk wing-backs; unleash hell

Mac
    Matthews Innis Famewo Purrington
    Albie Arter 
    DJ Lee Kirk/Leko
    Stockley

innis can’t be dropped but I expect Lavelle to be our main centre back at some point, Innis will be very hard to dislodge if he stays fit though, don’t think I’ve seen him lose a header, rarely makes a big mistake.

DJ and Matthews link up has been our best play this season, we genuinely look good down that side, question marks on Kirk that I’m sure will be answered once Purrington is back, if he can link with him then he stays if not I trust Leko more as he’s a bit more explosive and we have the creativity in Lee. The rest is self explanatory 

squad looks very promising though. Lavelle, Gunter, Dobson, Washington, CBT, Clare and Davison is an extremely strong bench for league 1 football 
  • What an excellent positive thread.

i feel like Washington might go on a bit of streak and be hard to drop but as everyone else has said - I really like the look Lee. He reminds me a lot of his dad. Yes we have a lot of players but they’ll be plenty of injuries. I also think Leko and Arter will need to prove their still up to it and won’t be initial starters. Kirk may also come under pressure to be productive quite quickly:

mac

matthews lavelle famewo purrington 

Dobson Morgan

DJ.             Lee.                  Kirk

Stockley 
  • Leuth said:
    DJ and Kirk wing-backs; unleash hell
    Hell being League 2