Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    When does she play next?
    Tomorrow morning @ 1.15 .. so late night with loadsa coffee or early to bed and very early to rise
    01:15? I've set may alarm for 02:00, but do you think it could be sooner?
    there is always the replay/from the start option on Amazon  B)
  • Options
    Presumably the living abroad thing avoids tax, with 89 days allowed in the UK. 
  • Options
    exactly .. though I believe Andy Murray is resident in England (NOT Scotland) and has a few shacks scatted around the world to follow the sun .. whether he avoids UK tax is a secret tween him and his accountants  :/
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Watching bits and pieces noof Sakkari's semi .. she is a bit of a grunter and screamer  :*

Sakkari at 26, has had a good year but again she seemed to have come from low down the rankings compared to where she was in 2019.

Works out in the Gym, and will beat Emma at arm wrestling but we hope not on the court.

Woman's tennis since Serena had a baby and injury problems have had so many different slam winners:

Since the Aussie slam in 2017 there have been 13 different winners out of 18.

Women's singles:
    Williams
    Ostapenko
    Muguruza
    Stephens
    Wozniacki
    Halep(2)
    Kerber
    Osaka (4)
    Barty(2)
    Andreescu
    Kenin
    Swiatek
    Krejcikova

Fernandez 19, Raducanu 18, Sakkari 26 and Sabalenko 23 have a chance to add their name on to the honours board.

• Options
    When does she play next?
    Tomorrow morning @ 1.15 .. so late night with loadsa coffee or early to bed and very early to rise
    Good point but I know I'll be tempted to look at the live score! Hmm, I don't want to miss the start so may set the alarm earlier and see how the other game is going etc
  • Options
    exactly .. though I believe Andy Murray is resident in England (NOT Scotland) and has a few shacks scatted around the world to follow the sun .. whether he avoids UK tax is a secret tween him and his accountants  :/
    Kyle Edmund is one of the few British players who buggered off abroad as soon as he won a couple of matches. He went to the Bahamas
  • Options
    Kyle Edmund is one of the few British players who buggered off abroad as soon as he won a couple of matches. He went to the Bahamas
    And how has he done, lol?! I hadn't realised he was as young as 3 when he moved to the UK; thought it was older

See all the Canadians etc trying to claim Emma?!
  • Options

I saw that with her being accused of forgetting her "roots". Seriously, she left there aged two and her Dad was from Romania and Mum from China. For 16 years she was brought up, educated and trained here and hadn't probably even picked up a racket before she left Canada.

Rusedski they are welcome to claim. Our Emma is "our" Emma!!!!!
    Exactly! Not sure there is a nationality that covers being born somewhere and living there for only 2 years, having a mother from another country, a father from another and then living, learning tennis, being educated in another where she is a passport holder! Being born in a stable, doesn't make you a horse!
  • Options
    I never liked it when the England cricket team in the 90s went through a phase of picking players who were proper fair dinkum Aussies, but not good enough to get into the Aussie team, because they had been born in the UK before moving to Australia when 1 year old!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I never liked it when the England cricket team in the 90s went through a phase of picking players who were proper fair dinkum Aussies, but not good enough to get into the Aussie team, because they had been born in the UK before moving to Australia when 1 year old!
    Still happening, especially in rugby
  • Options
    Raducanu is also a breath of fresh air because she smiles and appears happy to be playing. As opposed to Osaka who always seem like a sourpuss, on and off the court.
  • Options
    When does she play next?
    Good point but I know I'll be tempted to look at the live score! Hmm, I don't want to miss the start so may set the alarm earlier and see how the other game is going etc
    you MUST resist temptation
  • Options
    And how has he done, lol?! I hadn't realised he was as young as 3 when he moved to the UK; thought it was older

IF Emma and Fernandez make it through, it will be an 'all Canada final' lol .. Emma's folks are Chinese and Romanian, Fernandez' s are Ecuadorian and Filipina .. we live in an era of increasing worldwide multi-citizenship
  • Options
    Raducanu is also a breath of fresh air because she smiles and appears happy to be playing. As opposed to Osaka who always seem like a sourpuss, on and off the court.
    And Emma doesn't suffer from that speech impediment that seems to affect most millennials whereby every spoken sentence ends with an uptick inflection making every sentence a rhetorical question. I think Osaka is a wonderful tennis player but I just cannot bear listening to her speak.

• Options

you MUST resist temptation
    Or just get up earlier!
  • Options
    And Emma doesn't suffer from that speech impediment that seems to affect most millennials whereby every spoken sentence ends with an uptick inflection making every sentence a rhetorical question. I think Osaka is a wonderful tennis player but I just cannot bear listening to her speak.

If you asked me to name a better duo than millennials and upwards inflections, it would be older generations and making lazy generalizations about young people. 
  • Options

I saw that with her being accused of forgetting her "roots". Seriously, she left there aged two and her Dad was from Romania and Mum from China. For 16 years she was brought up, educated and trained here and hadn't probably even picked up a racket before she left Canada.

Rusedski they are welcome to claim. Our Emma is "our" Emma!!!!!
    Exactly! Not sure there is a nationality that covers being born somewhere and living there for only 2 years, having a mother from another country, a father from another and then living, learning tennis, being educated in another where she is a passport holder! Being born in a stable, doesn't make you a horse!
    Jesus Christ!
  • Options

If you asked me to name a better duo than millennials and upwards inflections, it would be older generations and making lazy generalizations about young people. 
    Another thing that annoys me is virtual signalling on social media in a never ending quest for "likes".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So suffering with mental health challenges and anxiety is being a sourpuss?

Thats fucking nice.
  • Options
    And please let's not dig out a woman who in her most recent press conference stated: "When I win, I'm not happy, I just feel relief. And when I lose, I get extremely sad. I don't think that's normal."

Agree Callum.
    Osaka has been programmed to be a tennis player from a young age and the marketing in the USA and Japan has turned her into a brand with many people on the pay role.
    Her words were a cry for help for the girl, and the young woman who got lost on this Journey. 

Emma Raducanu, who is out going and has had many sporting interest in her young life including, Go-karting, Swimming, basketball, and horse riding, plus great results in her Maths A levels. Amazing how she has only been a professional tennis player for a few months. Emma had nearly 18 years not in the spotlight and now she may find stardom comes at a price but family, friends and professional team which will now increase around her can divert the negative comments which come from the jealous and the sad trolls. She is enjoying the journey and that is part of her charm. You can't buy a winning mentality, it's innate. 

Long may that last.

• Options
    And please let's not dig out a woman who in her most recent press conference stated: "When I win, I'm not happy, I just feel relief. And when I lose, I get extremely sad. I don't think that's normal."

Agree Callum.
    Osaka has been programmed to be a tennis player from a young age and the marketing in the USA and Japan has turned her into a brand with many people on the pay role.
    Her words were a cry for help for the girl, and the young woman who got lost on this Journey. 

Emma Raducanu, who is out going and has had many sporting interest in her young life including, Go-karting, Swimming, basketball, and horse riding, plus great results in her Maths A levels. Amazing how she has only been a professional tennis player for a few months. Emma had nearly 18 years not in the spotlight and now she may find stardom comes at a price but family, friends and professional team which will now increase around her can divert the negative comments which come from the jealous and the sad trolls. She is enjoying the journey and that is part of her charm. You can't buy a winning mentality, it's innate. 

Long may that last.

Agreed re Emma, although she has said she is actually quite shy. She seems very balanced (playing on the court as well as off of it), mentally strong and brilliant with people. She seems amazingly calm and happy on court too, but will have challenges to come that will challenge that massively.

She understandably had an adverse reaction to the the situation at Wimbledon, when she went from doing her A levels and hardly playing tennis for 18 months and from zero to hero in an almost vertical leap. But how she has conducted herself since, and how she adapts her games an tactics to new and better and better opponents is nothing short of incredible - long back it continue.

There is another thread about Osaka - how about we keep that discussion separate Lets hope Emma is able to deal with all the pressures that are bound to come her way - so far she seems to be the complete package
  • Options
    15 minutes to Sabalenka v Fernandez.
  • Options
    Away from the singles, there will be British success in the men's doubles, as Jamie Murray goes against Joe Salisbury in the final

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58507189
  • Options

Raducanu would be a Gen Z as well, she's too young to be a millennial.
  • Options
    Sabalenka too powerful for Fernandez thus far.
  • Options
    Fernandez wins 8 points out of 10 to pull herself back into the first set.

From 4-1 down to 4-3 and back on serve.
  • Options
    Fernandez wins the first set tie break. 7-6 (3)
  • Options
    Up early for Radacanu. Dreading a final set in this one.