Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Wondering if her panic attack in Wimbledon will be the making of Emma. It was early enough in her career that it could be addressed with a relatively low profile.compared to say Simone Biles where it was all over the news
    It was completely understandable in the circumstances but how she moved on is nothing but remarkable. McEnroe could at least acknowledge that. I think Osaka and Biles dealt with their issues differently, but that's for a different thread
    Think McEnroe got a lot of unnecessary crap from the outraged brigade. What he said was no more or no less patronising than what you’ve said above.
    I didn't say what he said was wrong - what I said  was he has not acknowledged her remarkable success and that she has moved on from what happened.

How is saying someone dealt with something 'differently' in anyway patronising? I made no judgement about whether it was better or not, just 'different'. - you couldn't be misrepresenting what I said, could you?
    I’m not sure why McEnroe needs to say anything about her remarkable success though I imagine like 100% of people he’d acknowledge it’s remarkable.

his comment that “it all got a bit much for her” and your comment that “it was completely understandable in the circumstances” do not appear to be patronising to me but clearly would to someone else. That was the point I was trying to 
    make.
    How clearly would to someone else? 

I'm still surprised he hasn't commented on her win, considering he commented at Wimbledon
    I said clearly because his comments “clearly” offended some people. 

Anyway, he’s obviously been reading this thread so you can stand down now. 

McEnroe stands by 'vanilla' Raducanu comments at Wimbledon

https://mol.im/a/9992413
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I thought Ms Fernandez was upset about how often Emma Raducanu threw the ball up to serve but then changed her mind.
    I interpreted her gestures as such.
    You may well be correct. 
    I saw it as time wasting. 
    Unless she says something we will never really know. 
    I don't agree.
    I reckon Emma is one of those people who aborts her serve if the toss isn't perfect.
    Ginny Wade was notorious for it.
    Andy Murray guilty too to occasionally.
    I suspect Fernandez was just frustrated at having her momentum checked at a crucial stage and suspected some gamesmanship despite the bleeding evidence to the contrary.
    Once she accepted that the evidence was indisputable she eventually accepted it and didn't pursue it after the match. 
    So in the end she showed some class.
    Just my opinion
    I see it that she is so disciplined she won't continue with a bad toss - something I had noticed
    There's loads do it, how many times do you see a tennis player bounce the ball hundred times before he then serves it into the net. Then repeats. I got fed up watching it for that reason, and then how many aces and lack of rally's were involved. Yes i know its all part of the game but entertaining it isn't.
    Depends what tournament you're watching though. Some surfaces are not conducive to rallies. If you're a regular Wimbledon watcher there won't be many great rallies, but if you're watching the French Open there will be plenty.
    Not these days, since they changed the grass 15 years ago, which slowed it down. Wimbledon plays more like a hard court nowadays, hence baseline tennis dominating, rather than serve volleyers
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    Re throwing a bad toss is not gamesmanship or nerves - it's simply a bad toss. Each server is on a shot clock. As long as they serve within that time frame - no issues.
    Serving is all about rhythm. I would argue taking a 3 minute rest whilst a break down is actually a disadvantage to the server.
    Emma has said that she was concerned that having to take an injury timeout was terrible timing for her, when she was serving at 30-40 to save the game
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    McBobbin said:
    Wondering if her panic attack in Wimbledon will be the making of Emma. It was early enough in her career that it could be addressed with a relatively low profile.compared to say Simone Biles where it was all over the news
    It was completely understandable in the circumstances but how she moved on is nothing but remarkable. McEnroe could at least acknowledge that. I think Osaka and Biles dealt with their issues differently, but that's for a different thread
    Think McEnroe got a lot of unnecessary crap from the outraged brigade. What he said was no more or no less patronising than what you’ve said above.
    I didn't say what he said was wrong - what I said  was he has not acknowledged her remarkable success and that she has moved on from what happened.

How is saying someone dealt with something 'differently' in anyway patronising? I made no judgement about whether it was better or not, just 'different'. - you couldn't be misrepresenting what I said, could you?
    I’m not sure why McEnroe needs to say anything about her remarkable success though I imagine like 100% of people he’d acknowledge it’s remarkable.

his comment that “it all got a bit much for her” and your comment that “it was completely understandable in the circumstances” do not appear to be patronising to me but clearly would to someone else. That was the point I was trying to 
    make.

I'm still surprised he hasn't commented on her win, considering he commented at Wimbledon
    I said clearly because his comments “clearly” offended some people. 

Anyway, he’s obviously been reading this thread so you can stand down now. 

McEnroe stands by 'vanilla' Raducanu comments at Wimbledon

https://mol.im/a/9992413
    I was asking why you thought my comment was clearly patronising to someone else. 

Also, I have now seen McEnroe talk about the US Open win - ;the new British No 1's achievement was 'incredible' and admits 39-time Grand Slam winner Billie Jean King has been vindicated in believing 'pressure is a privilege'. 

'I don't think you could possibly do it any better than she did it when [winning] the US Open,' he added. 'Are you kidding me? That's insane, and that she's been able to do this now there's going to be obviously a lot more focus on it. It's incredible.

'If Billie Jean King says pressure is a privilege, I believe her. She's done more for women's sports and maybe sports in general than anyone in the last 100 years.' 

'I don't know how she is turning it around over the last couple of months (since Wimbledon) but I'm sure a lot of people would like to find out.'

Not sure when he said this - I did checks before I made my original comment, but (in all fairness) I may have missed it, or he may have said it after I checked

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I thought Ms Fernandez was upset about how often Emma Raducanu threw the ball up to serve but then changed her mind.
    You may well be correct. 
    I don't agree.
    I reckon Emma is one of those people who aborts her serve if the toss isn't perfect.
    I suspect Fernandez was just frustrated at having her momentum checked at a crucial stage and suspected some gamesmanship despite the bleeding evidence to the contrary.
    Once she accepted that the evidence was indisputable she eventually accepted it and didn't pursue it after the match. 
    Just my opinion
    I see it that she is so disciplined she won't continue with a bad toss - something I had noticed
    There's loads do it, how many times do you see a tennis player bounce the ball hundred times before he then serves it into the net. Then repeats. I got fed up watching it for that reason, and then how many aces and lack of rally's were involved. Yes i know its all part of the game but entertaining it isn't.
    Depends what tournament you're watching though. Some surfaces are not conducive to rallies. If you're a regular Wimbledon watcher there won't be many great rallies, but if you're watching the French Open there will be plenty.
    Not these days, since they changed the grass 15 years ago, which slowed it down. Wimbledon plays more like a hard court nowadays, hence baseline tennis dominating, rather than serve volleyers
    Much the worse for it too, love a bit of serve volley.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

make.

McEnroe is an unpleasant big mouth and big head (with not a lot in it) .. always was and still is .. the BBC want a good talking to for paying him a reported £100,000 for working at Wimbledon where he spends most of his time working for US Broadcasters .. add con man to his misdemeanour list
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You may well be correct. 
    I don't agree.
    Just my opinion
    Much the worse for it too, love a bit of serve volley.
    I agree the balance has gone too far the other way, but it wasn't that exciting watching a lot of men's matches at Wimbledon in the 90s and early 2000s though, as serve dominated too much.

I'm not sure what the answer is, as we now have a situation where volleys are too easy to defend against. Come forward and play a nice volley and there's a strong chance that the ball will be hammered past you. Smaller rackets with less of a sweet spot?
  • Options
    My tennis knowledge credentials were brought into question by my other half when I skilfully observed that both players were “twatting the fuck out of the ball”. 
    That's not out the Dan Maskell book of tennis commentary is it?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    My tennis knowledge credentials were brought into question by my other half when I skilfully observed that both players were “twatting the fuck out of the ball”. 
    That's not out the Dan Maskell book of tennis commentary is it?
    Oooh I say  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Perhaps the variety of grass seed used is called speed...
  • Options
    Looking for something to do with a recently acquired million dollars  ;)
  • Options
    isn't it tradition the winner rings the opening bell of the NYSE  ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Not sure about that but would make complete sense for her to do it, bearing in mind she’s there and her new found status. Emma - what a girl. I’m glad she’s having a bit of down time in NYC before the inevitable hounding by the press when she gets home. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Is it yeah, although I saw something beforehand about the fact she'd mentioned being interested anyway, so a happy coincidence.
  • Options
    Sky Sports just posted this clip from 2014. https://youtu.be/0ZH2f3kNfiY
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    “Do you have a football team?” 

“I have… my football team is England”

https://youtu.be/8RhMkpOz_14